Vitellius, the feasty emperor!

JayAg47

An emperor who's short reign only known for his gluttony!

Rochegrosse_Vitellius_tran_dans_les_rues_de_Rome_par_la_populace_1883.jpg.7d8b0c615c972121427f7c865c30e152.jpg

Added this denarius of Vitellius to my collection. While I currently have no plans to assemble a set of the 12 Caesars, this particular coin was too good of a deal to pass up at 45€ listed on Ma-Shops. Although I waited for over a month to receive the coin.

I'm just happy with the bust and his name being clear. 

vite.jpg.02a3b511a4465c43a1c34842a8a7f018.jpg

Vitellius, A.D. 69, AR Denarius, 3 g
Obv: A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P; laureate head right.
Rev: CONCORDIA P R; Concordia, dr., seated l., r. holding patera, l. cornucopia.

This is the seller's photo, I'm really surprised Ma-shops allows such poor quality images. I was gonna leave the coin as it is, but ended up cleaning the coin with sodium thiosulfate to get rid of the horn silver.

vitellius.jpg.034c5b4e7b1d012fd3b4faf2af82826d.jpg

Please share your coins of Vitellius!

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 24

Roman Egypt, Alexandria. Vitellius, AD 69. Billon Tetradrachm (24mm, 13.35g, 12h). Dated RY 1 (AD 69). Obv: ΩΛOY OYIT KAIΣ ΣEB ΓEPM AYT; Laureate head right. Rev: Nike walking right, holding wreath and palm frond; L-A (date) in field to right. Ref: Köln 259; Dattari 339; K&G 19.2; RPC I 5373; Emmett 195.1 (R3). Near Very Fine, grayish toning, light porosity, rare. Ex Barry Murphy, April 2011.

.image.jpeg.5c04b16a5b082762b527b64d725b0a60.jpeg

• Like 17

Getting a decent Vitellius at a good price is not easy.

Here is my only Denarius.

normal_R_667_Vitellius.jpg.2b7064b2f7ef2a914d7f52373740dff3.jpg

Vitellius
Denarius, Rome, AD 69
Obv.: A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVGVST TR P, laureate head right
Rev.: LIBERI IMP GERM AVG, confronted draped busts of Vitellius' son (on left) and daughter (thought to have been named Vitellius Germanicus and Vitellia)
Ag, 3.090g, 18.1mm, 180o
Ref.: RIC² 103, RSC II 2, BMCRE I 29, BnF III 62

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 4

normal_vitel.jpg.bef9663ad2566d4e9c190b6a968f8c48.jpg

Vitellius (69 A.D.)

AR Denarius
O: A VITELLIVS GERMAN IMP TR P,Laureate head right.
R: S P Q R / OB / C S in three lines within wreath.
Rome Mint, 69 A.D.
3.15g
18.5mm
RIC I 83; RSC 86.

normal_vitell.jpg.bca116a1f4a84cc358b98aadf683a20d.jpg

Vitellius (69 A.D.)

Egypt, Alexandria

Billon Tetradrachm

O: ΩΛΟΥ ΟΥΙΤ ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ ΓΕΡΜ ΑΥΤ, laureate head right.

R: Nike advancing left, holding wreath with her extended right hand and palm frond with her left; LA (date) to left.

23mm

12.99g

RPC 5372; Köln 260-2; Dattari 340; K&G 19.1. Emmett 196.1

• Like 18

I also have one modest example. 

image.png.20199fe75ca01e611da877599c3e9787.png

19 mm, 2,83 g.
Vitellius 69 AD. AR denarius. Rome. A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P - laureate head of Vitellius right / PONT MAXIM - Vesta, veiled, seated on throne right, holding patera and scepter. RIC 107.

Portrait is decent - but name off the flan and the reverse, well, I've seen better reverses on coins. 

My personal opinion - your coin is an excellent deal for 45 euros. But I think I prefer the uncleaned version. Most likely the coin was harshly cleaned prior to the appearing of horn silver and the scratches are now more visible. 

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

But I think I prefer the uncleaned version. Most likely the coin was harshly cleaned prior to the appearing of horn silver and the scratches are now more visible. 

Yeah I went back and forth on this, but decided to clean it since the reverse was too cruddy, while the coin looks blast white now, it should re-tone in time!

Nice coin @JayAg47

Here is one of my 12 Caesars.

image.png.1f1eace5d5b602123d1eea69d36f3c63.png

image.png.8939f8389b8d0ea3abfc5fa0ae04b022.png

VITELLIUS (69). Denarius. Rome.

Obv: A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P.
Laureate head right.
Rev: XV VIR SACR FAC.
Tripod surmounted by dolphin right; below, raven right.

RIC109  Ex Neumismatik Neumann

Edited by Dafydd
  • Like 14
  • Cool Think 1

Not the easiest emperor to come by, well done !

My only example of his, but illustrating the type on Wildwinds !

d0d46a3b86e744adb6eb42c5e2debf28.jpg

Vitellius, Denarius - Rome mint, July - December 20, 69 CE
A VITELLIVS GERMAN IMP TR P, Laureate head of Vitellius right
XV VIR SACR FAC, Tripod-lebes with dolphin lying right on top and raven standing right below
3.43 gr, 16-18 mm
Ref : RCV # 2201var, Cohen cf # 110 et suiv, RIC I # 86 (this example illustrated in Wildwinds)

Q

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

It really is difficult (almost as much as with Otho) to find a nice Vitellius with his name readable, at a decent price. Mine isn't what I'd call a nice example -- that's a sad-looking dolphin and raven on the reverse -- but at least I can read his name and the price wasn't through the roof.

Vitellius AR Denarius, Jul 18-Dec 69 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TRP / Rev. Tripod-lebes (cauldron) surmounted by dolphin lying right on top, with raven standing right below, XV VIR SACR FAC. RIC I 109, RSC II 111 (ill.), Sear RCV I 2201 (ill.), BMCRE 39. 18.5 mm., 3.1 g. [See Sear RCV I at p. 421, explaining that the reverse “refers to Vitellius’ membership in the priestly college of the Quindecimviri Sacris Faciundis, ‘fifteen men for the conduct of sacred matters.’ This body had care of the Sibylline prophecies and were famous for the opulence of their banquets, a feature of the priesthood which particularly appealed to the gluttonous emperor.”]

image.png.1aaa85bb1bbe467091a41f7d8a1ad6b7.png

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 15

Great coins shown here. Congratulations on your purchase.

Here is my one and only Vitellius. I bought this one, because it has a particularly lifely partrait, which kind of matches well with the character traits attributed to Vitellius.

sev1.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 3

5 hours ago, Tejas said:

Great coins shown here. Congratulations on your purchase.

Here is my one and only Vitellius. I bought this one, because it has a particularly lifely partrait, which kind of matches well with the character traits attributed to Vitellius.

sev1.PNG

Exceptional -Wow , what hair!

• Benefactor

Mine isn't a great example, but I didn't feel like paying much more than $100 so this is what I got. 🙂 I still like it.

Vitellius.jpg.6d179ab78b0940c499915dd497efb8db.jpg

Vitellius AR Denarius
Rome, 69 CE
2.62g, 18mm, 6h.
A VITEL[LIV]S GERM IMP AVG TR P, laureate head to right / XV VIR SACR FAC, tripod-lebes surmounted by dolphin, raven standing to right below
RIC I 109; BMCRE 39; RSC 111

• Like 11

Some excellent Vitellini in this thread (Italian, plural of vitello (calf) +‎ -ino (diminutive suffix). Here is an ugly one:

Vitelliusdenarius.jpg.435e85ccca6f191aaeeb7d723f36cfb8.jpg

Suetonius gives us the hyperbolic or ridiculous version of Vitellius in "Life of VItellius" 13.1:

"Being besides a man of an appetite that was not only boundless, but also regardless of time or decency, he could never refrain, even when he was sacrificing or making a journey, from snatching bits of meat and cakes amid the altars, almost from the very fire, and devouring them on the spot; and in the cookshops along the road, viands smoking hot or even those left over from the day before and partly consumed."

image.png.a924eacbe761ea3437ca5b09cde9564f.png

Via Sacra, Rome

and his is end was not pretty:

"... they bound his arms behind his back, put a noose about his neck, and dragged him with rent garments and half-naked to the Forum. All along the Via Sacra he was greeted with mockery and abuse, his head held back by the hair, as is common with criminals, and even the point of a sword placed under his chin, so that he could not look down but must let his face be seen. Some pelted him with dung and ordure, others called him incendiary and glutton, and some of the mob even taunted him with his bodily defects. He was in fact abnormally tall, with a face usually flushed from hard drinking, a huge belly, and one thigh crippled from being struck once upon a time by a four-horse chariot, when he was in attendance on Gaius as he was driving. At last on the Scalae Gemoniae he was tortured for a long time and then despatched and dragged off with a hook to the Tiber."

- Suetonius, 17.1

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 6
  • Shock 2

• Benefactor
On 10/28/2023 at 7:36 AM, Sulla80 said:

Some excellent Vitellini in this thread (Italian, plural of vitello (calf) +‎ -ino (diminutive suffix). Here is an ugly one:

Vitelliusdenarius.jpg.435e85ccca6f191aaeeb7d723f36cfb8.jpg

Suetonius gives us the hyperbolic or ridiculous version of Vitellius in "Life of VItellius" 13.1:

"Being besides a man of an appetite that was not only boundless, but also regardless of time or decency, he could never refrain, even when he was sacrificing or making a journey, from snatching bits of meat and cakes amid the altars, almost from the very fire, and devouring them on the spot; and in the cookshops along the road, viands smoking hot or even those left over from the day before and partly consumed."

image.png.a924eacbe761ea3437ca5b09cde9564f.png

Via Sacra, Rome

and his is end was not pretty:

"... they bound his arms behind his back, put a noose about his neck, and dragged him with rent garments and half-naked to the Forum. All along the Via Sacra he was greeted with mockery and abuse, his head held back by the hair, as is common with criminals, and even the point of a sword placed under his chin, so that he could not look down but must let his face be seen. Some pelted him with dung and ordure, others called him incendiary and glutton, and some of the mob even taunted him with his bodily defects. He was in fact abnormally tall, with a face usually flushed from hard drinking, a huge belly, and one thigh crippled from being struck once upon a time by a four-horse chariot, when he was in attendance on Gaius as he was driving. At last on the Scalae Gemoniae he was tortured for a long time and then despatched and dragged off with a hook to the Tiber."

- Suetonius, 17.1

Is there a total somewhere of the number of emperors who supposedly ended up thrown in the Tiber? Wasn't that the fate of Elagabalus and his mother? 

8 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Wasn't that the fate of Elagabalus and his mother? 

If one believes the ancient sources, this was so...

Somewhere I read that Pupienus and Balbinus were also been thrown into the Tiber after been murdered.
But I would have to look again to find out which source that was. 

I don't know anything about other emperors - so I don't know of any others.

Oh yes - Petronius Maximus - he also ended up in the Tiber. Possibly also his son.