Thanks Restitutor for creating this new forum!

Theodosius

• Benefactor
25 minutes ago, Restitutor said:

I agree! Settings have now been updated so there is no time limit to when you can go back and edit a post. 

Worth trying certainly, and I'll surely have occasion to use it, but I do have mixed feelings. The advantages are very clear, but I've seen unrestricted editing badly abused on another (non-numismatic) forum. One know-it-all twerp in particular systematically edited away every trace of a particularly idiotic post he'd made years back and then smugly insisted he'd never said such things at all. I'm not worried at all that any of the current members would abuse their editing ability like that, but as the site grows that may not always be the case.

Don't misunderstand; I'm happy to see this implemented now. If misuse ever does occur, we can burn that bridge when we get to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

Worth trying certainly, and I'll surely have occasion to use it, but I do have mixed feelings. The advantages are very clear, but I've seen unrestricted editing badly abused on another (non-numismatic) forum. One know-it-all twerp in particular systematically edited away every trace of a particularly idiotic post he'd made years back and then smugly insisted he'd never said such things at all. I'm not worried at all that any of the current members would abuse their editing ability like that, but as the site grows that may not always be the case.

Don't misunderstand; I'm happy to see this implemented now. If misuse ever does occur, we can burn that bridge when we get to it.

Good point. Though from a totally selfish perspective I think being able to edit is the most useful upgrade from CT that I can think of for me personally.

I did not like facing the 3rd degree from the mods every time I wanted to fix a broken link, add an illustration or correct an error in a post I made (some of which I spent a lot of time on).  I like to keep my content up-to-date even if I’m the only one who goes back and sees it. 😉 

Hopefully we won’t get any bad actors that abuse the privilege. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

Know-it-all twerps be forewarned: Even if you edit a post, Phil will remember! Haha 🙂 But on a more serious note, completely understand where you're coming from on the risk side of having a feature like this be in perpetuity, and will reevaluate if ever necessary! 

• Like 2

Im just so glad to finally be able to join a forum, not get immediately banned by some weird internal algorythm and have some holier-than-thou mod tell people "Our decision is final, shut up peasants"

I hope great things come from this!

• Like 10

I have invited Dominic (Ocat... from CT). I really hope he joins. He was a great contributor over at CT, a good guy, and I think he would make a great addition here. If anyone else has his contact info, perhaps you can message him too. He has a few justifiable reservations but I think with enough positive support, perhaps he will make the jump. We would be all the better for him being here.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Leo said:

Im just so glad to finally be able to join a forum, not get immediately banned by some weird internal algorythm and have some holier-than-thou mod tell people "Our decision is final, shut up peasants"

I hope great things come from this!

LOL... their response:

image.png.b2b4ae7937b976dee94f638e6c241b4a.png

• Like 2

• Benefactor
11 minutes ago, Furryfrog02 said:

I have invited Dominic (Ocat... from CT). I really hope he joins. He was a great contributor over at CT, a good guy, and I think he would make a great addition here. If anyone else has his contact info, perhaps you can message him too. He has a few justifiable reservations but I think with enough positive support, perhaps he will make the jump. We would be all the better for him being here.

I previously sent him an invite also.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
On 5/26/2022 at 7:47 AM, Jeremy said:

Thank you for creating this forum! It's great to see the list of familiar names from CT. My username there was jb_depew. I'm switching it up a bit here 🙂

We need a concordance, like the ones at the back of certain numismatic reference books!

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 11:30 PM, Curtisimo said:

Does anyone think Stevex6 would be interested in joining?

Just a Canadian lurker here, but a friend of Steve’s. Steve had a rough go with cancer and a few other health scares a few years ago. He retired from his Manitoba job and is hanging his hat in Kamloops, BC. 

Steve sold his ancient coin collection, all consigned through a dealer, who did sell them as “ex-stevex6” pedigree. As far as I know, Steve stopped collecting coins, but has hung onto his Canadian 25c collection, his error coins, and his paper money collection.

He is enjoying retired life, and still cheering hard for the Vancouver Canucks. I am sure he’d be proud to hear of you guys still remembering his enthusiasm with ancient coins. 

Best of luck with your new forum.

Edited by SPP-Ottawa
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
26 minutes ago, SPP-Ottawa said:

Just a Canadian lurker here, but a friend of Steve’s. Steve had a rough go with cancer and a few other health scares a few years ago. He retired from his Manitoba job and is hanging his hat in Kamloops, BC. 

Steve sold his ancient coin collection, all consigned through a dealer, who did sell them as “ex-stevex6” pedigree. As far as I know, Steve stopped collecting coins, but has hung onto his Canadian 25c collection, his error coins, and his paper money collection.

He is enjoying retired life, and still cheering hard for the Vancouver Canucks. I am sure he’d be proud to hear of you guys still remembering his enthusiasm with ancient coins. 

Best of luck with your new forum.

SteveX6 is here, as @Steve.

• Like 3

• Benefactor

Hey, cheers SPP-O ... oh, and thanks for the kind thoughts (you rock)

Yes, I still have that cool error-coin (struck on foreign planchet) ... hey, I know that you still want my cool Centennial Bunny error, eh? (it's yours, if I ever decide to unload it)

; )

Hi

x21x21.jpg

x22x22.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 10

Nice to see you staying connected with old friends Steve. Some folks on CCF still ask about you on occasion…

I’ll be out in Kamloops next April (2023), giving a short course for the Kamloops Exploration Group (KEG). We’ll have to hook up for a coffee or a pint then. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor
On 6/3/2022 at 5:13 PM, Spaniard said:

Anyone invited panzerman?

Yes — but it was a soft sell.  I told him about the great new forum and I gave him the link. He replied that he’s working 95 hour weeks.

He’s thinking about it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LONGINUS said:

Yes — but it was a soft sell.  I told him about the great new forum and I gave him the link. He replied that he’s working 95 hour weeks.

He’s thinking about it.

Summer is his work season. I know he works his butt off doing all his landscaping stuff. How else do you think he can afford all those beautiful gold coins? 🙂

• Like 3