Post it and pick it!

Ryro

2 hours ago, ClubMix33 said:

I bought this randomly. Any idea what these are?

Hi ClubMix33, welcome! This isn't quite the right place to post this, it might be better to start your own thread about them. But a quick answer to your question that these are gold kupangs (kupang = denomination of 0.6 grams) from the Samudera-Pasai Sultanate of northern Sumatra, probably something like 1300-1500s AD. The bottom one in the pic may be from the neighboring state of the Aceh Sultanate. The Dutch author J. Leyten has graciously put his catalog book A Catalogue of the Gold Coins of Samudra-Pasai and Acheh online for free which will help you to attribute each coin to a specific king or queen- sultan or sultanah- the Muslim states of northern Sumatra are somewhat unique for having an interesting tradition of matriarchal rule for much of their history.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TuckHard said:

Hi ClubMix33, welcome! This isn't quite the right place to post this, it might be better to start your own thread about them. But a quick answer to your question that these are gold kupangs (kupang = denomination of 0.6 grams) from the Samudera-Pasai Sultanate of northern Sumatra, probably something like 1300-1500s AD. The bottom one in the pic may be from the neighboring state of the Aceh Sultanate. The Dutch author J. Leyten has graciously put his catalog book A Catalogue of the Gold Coins of Samudra-Pasai and Acheh online for free which will help you to attribute each coin to a specific king or queen- sultan or sultanah- the Muslim states of northern Sumatra are somewhat unique for having an interesting tradition of matriarchal rule for much of their history.

Thanks for the info. I have been wondering about their history since I haven't seen this style before.

Will definitely make my own threads....once they're approved lol

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ClubMix33 said:

Thanks for the info. I have been wondering about their history since I haven't seen this style before.

Will definitely make my own threads....once they're approved lol

I will keep my eye out! The ancient kingdoms of Southeast Asia are my main interest and specialty so it is always exciting to see some great coins. I actually don't have any kupangs from Samudera-Pasai, but I did have this similar coin from the Aceh Sultanate. It is currently sitting in the great SARC warehouses, awaiting a catalog placement ☺️

This topic is a game thread where we have to fit each requested theme somehow or wait 6 hours to start a new one. The full rules are on the first page. That being said, it's been 6 hours now since the last request without being filled, so I'll hijack it with my dearly missed Acehnese kupang.

image.jpeg.1972b0be32e8c9630d0183198362dc61.jpeg

Aceh Sultanate of Sumatra (Indonesia)
1688 to 1699 AD
Issued under Sultanah Kamalat Shah, the last woman ruler of Aceh ending nearly sixty years of matriarchal rule
AV kupang | 0.57 grams | 13mm wide
Obv: In Arabic, Paduka Sri Sultanah Kamalat Shah
Rev: In Arabic, Zainat ad-Din berdaulat Shah
Ref: Leyten A20

Next: any coin with dotted borders

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, TuckHard said:

I will keep my eye out! The ancient kingdoms of Southeast Asia are my main interest and specialty so it is always exciting to see some great coins. I actually don't have any kupangs from Samudera-Pasai, but I did have this similar coin from the Aceh Sultanate. It is currently sitting in the great SARC warehouses, awaiting a catalog placement ☺️

This topic is a game thread where we have to fit each requested theme somehow or wait 6 hours to start a new one. The full rules are on the first page. That being said, it's been 6 hours now since the last request without being filled, so I'll hijack it with my dearly missed Acehnese kupang.

image.jpeg.1972b0be32e8c9630d0183198362dc61.jpeg

Aceh Sultanate of Sumatra (Indonesia)
1688 to 1699 AD
Issued under Sultanah Kamalat Shah, the last woman ruler of Aceh ending nearly sixty years of matriarchal rule
AV kupang | 0.57 grams | 13mm wide
Obv: In Arabic, Paduka Sri Sultanah Kamalat Shah
Rev: In Arabic, Zainat ad-Din berdaulat Shah
Ref: Leyten A20

Next: any coin with dotted borders

Those ancient kingdoms have deep wisdom. 

I think I can somewhat participate in this game as well.

Screenshot_20230209-011438.png.36e556af16520551096185294b3059c8.png

• Like 10

6 hours ago, TuckHard said:

Nice! Is it Kushan? Also, what is the next prompt?

6hours gone 😜 ...

image.jpeg.057c892c6ff15f07969cfee7b3ddbcc7.jpeg

Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Augustus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 180 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 2.99g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Commodus 9a; Provenance: Ex Roma Numismatic London; Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG for Marcus Commodus Antoninus Augustus; Reverse: Trophy; to left and right, a captive seated on ground. The Inscription reads: TR P V IMP IIII COS II P P for Tribunicia Potestate Quinta, Imperator Quartum, Consul Secundum, Pater Patriae (Holder of tribunician power for the fifth time, Imperator for the fourth time, consul for the second time, father of the nation).

Next: more trophy with captives! 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, shanxi said:

next. Young Caracalla

f3eeb3cdab9541689cb5732607940e21.jpg

Caracalla, Denarius - Rome mint, AD 202
ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, Laureate and draped bust of Caracalla right
CONCORDIA FELIX, Caracalla and Plautilla face to face, shaking hands
3.34 gr
Ref : RCV # 6794 (160), RSC # 23, RIC # 124a

Next : young Geta

Q

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Next: another pre-adolescent Caesar (but not Caracalla or Geta).

cdd513f19de84015be2a223803926202.jpg

Valerian II, antoninianus - Cologne mint, 257-258 CE
VALERIANVS CAES, radiate and draped bust of Valerian junior right
IOVI CRESCENTI, Young Jupiter on back of goat Amalthea right
3.66 gr
Ref : RCV # 10731, Cohen #26

Next : his brother, Saloninus

Q

• Like 14

Ruler: Saloninus (Caesar)
Coin: Silver Antoninianus
SAL VALERIANVS CS - Radiate bust right
PRINC IVVENT - Saloninus standing left holding baton and spear, one standard behind him
Mint: Milan (258-260 AD)
Wt./Size/Axis: 2.01g / 25mm / 6h
References:
  • RIC 10
Acquisition: HJB eBay 12-May-2010

spacer.png

Next - standard or standards

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, akeady said:

Next - standard or standards

Elagabalussacrificing.jpg.bad8cb554c6ef2571fb94f2f2f74c265.jpg

Elagabalus (218-222), AR Denarius, Rome, AD 221
Obv: IMP ANTONINVS - PIVS AVG, laureate, horned, cuirassed and draped bust right
Rev: P M TR P IIII COS - III P P, emperor standing left, sacrificing out of patera over altar and holding branch on left, star above patera on his right, two standards on his left

Next:  horn

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Cordoba said:

next: coin depicting battle/war

image.jpeg.de1e3c4a9f0b9aae605fd5ed8a9e8c94.jpeg

Marcus Antonius
Denarius of the Roman Republican Period 32/31 BC; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.57g; Mint: Military Mint in the East; Reference: Crawford 544/36, CRI 380, BMCRR East 215, RSC 57; Obverse: Galley right, with sceptre tied with fillet on prow; above and below, inscription. Border of dots. The Inscription reads: ANT·AVG III·VIR·R·P·C for Antonius Augurus Triumviri Rei Publicae Constituandae ([Mark] Antony, Triumvirate for the Restoration of the Government); Reverse: Aquila (legionary eagle) between two standards; across eagle, inscription. Border of dots. The Inscription reads: LEG XX for legio vicesima (twentieth legion).

Next: same theme.

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

1 hour ago, expat said:

NEXT: She Wolf and twins

GORDIRPC2730.jpg.b2cd60e9eb55b7ddb37a316e2b3bd562.jpg

Marcus Antonius Gordianus III
Bronze of the Roman Imperial Period 238/244 AD; Material: AE; Diameter: 34.5mm; Weight: 23.6g; Mint: Antiochia ad Pisidiam, Galatia; Reference: RPC VII.2 2730, Krzyżanowska X/44–9 XI/58, SNG BN 1210-2; Provenance: Ex HD Rauch Numismatik Vienna Austria; Obverse: Bust of Gordian III, laureate, draped and cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG for Imperator Caesar Marcus Antonius Gordianus Augustus; Reverse: She-wolf (Lupa Romana) standing right, head left, suckling the twins Romulus and Remus; tree to left. The Inscription reads: CAES ANTIOCH COL S R for Caesarea Antiochia Colonia, Senatus Romanus (Colonia of Caesarea Antiochia, by the Roman Senate).

Next: another roman provincial coin with more then 33mm Diameter.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 11

Clipboard.jpg.204ee3709c7f06ad3e15ff718bb566da.jpg

Caria, Mylasa. Geta AE38 Medallion. Cult statue of Artemis

CARIA, Mylasa. GETA. As Caesar, 198-209 AD. AE Medallion (22.95 gm; 38 mm). Bare-headed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Tetrastyle temple of Zeus Labraundus, cult statue of Artemis within, holding labrys and spear; tresses hanging from each hand. Round shield with two supporters in pediment.
Akarca 90; BMC 38; Price & Trell 442.

Next: Cult statue

• Like 12

Mighty Aphrodite!

[IMG]
Faustina I, 138-140 CE.
Roman provincial Æ 20.6 mm, 4.46 g, 6 h.
Lydia, Sardis, 138-140 CE.
Obv: ΦΑVϹΤΙΝΑ ϹΕΒΑϹΗ, bare-headed and draped bust of Faustina I, right.
Rev: ϹΑΡΔ-Ι-ΑΝΩΝ, Aphrodite standing left, holding apple and scepter.
Refs: RPC IV.2, 1427 (temporary); BMC 22.258, 140; SNG von Aulock 3153; SNG France 1240.

Next: Sardis.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

normal_G_309_Sardes_fac.jpg.1356a57cbe699c3d8f3101cd4a91360b.jpg

Asia Minor, Lydia, Sardeis, Senate, Zeus

Lydia, Sardeis
Pseudo-autonomous issue
Time of Nero
AE 18
Ti. Kl. Mnaseas, strategos.
Obv.: ΘЄON CVNKΛHTON, Draped youthful bust of the Senate right.
Rev.: ЄΠΙ ΤΙ ΜΝΑCЄΟΥ CΑΡΔΙΑΝΩΝ, Zeus standing left, holding eagle and sceptre.
AE, 4.39g, 17x18.5mm
Ref.: RPC I 3136

• Like 10