Post it and pick it!

Ryro

• Benefactor

image.png.79bbd61913f42ae9315abf858f33df4e.png

Sicily, Leontini

AR Tetradrachm, 450-430 BC, 17.18g

Obverse: Fine archaic style laureate head of Apollo right.

Reverse: Lion head right surrounded by four barley corns, LEONTININ around.

References: SNG ANS 247.

NEXT: Another Lion.

• Like 11

image.png.9c7956c7f40a7d20b268fe19dc5e909e.png

Cn. Cornelius Lentulus Clodianus 88 BC. Rome
Quinarius AR 14 mm., 1,65 g.
Laureate head of Jupiter r.
Victory r. crowning trophy; in exergue, CN LENT
Crawford 345/2, RSC I Cornelia 51a (ill.), BMCRR 2443-2444, Sear RCV I 255 (ill.), Sydenham 703, RBW Collection 1313

Next - Jupiter on obverse

• Like 10

Big ol' flan crack!

[IMG]
Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 24.87 g, 32.5 mm, 11 h.
Rome, AD 161-165.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust of Faustina II, right, with a double strand of pearls in the hair.
Rev: LAETITIA S C, Laetitia standing facing, head left, holding wreath in right hand and vertical scepter in left hand.
Refs: RIC 1654; BMCRE 924-27; Cohen 149; RCV 5279; MIR 21-6/10b.

Next: LAETITIA.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Ryro said:

Next: a coin someone harmed

This AE35 of Stratonicaea once had a countermark between Septimius Severus and Julia Domna that someone found offensive enough to dig it out of the coin.  They also removed the head of Hecate.  Some people need to work on anger management.  

Next: a coin someone 'improved' or, if we must, tried to improve whether or not it was a good idea. 

pi1040b02224alg.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, dougsmit said:

This AE35 of Stratonicaea once had a countermark between Septimius Severus and Julia Domna that someone found offensive enough to dig it out of the coin.  They also removed the head of Hecate.  Some people need to work on anger management.  

Next: a coin someone 'improved' or, if we must, tried to improve whether or not it was a good idea. 

pi1040b02224alg.jpg

Interrupting the game to say, "Welcome, @dougsmit, it's really good to see you here!"

Carry on: a coin someone 'improved' or, if we must, tried to improve whether or not it was a good idea. 

• Like 6

This helmet is both "rad" and "radiate"!

[IMG]
Probus, AD 276-282.
Roman billon Antoninianus 3.25 g; 21.7 mm.
Ticinium mint, AD 280-82.
Obv: VIRTVS PROBI AVG, Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust, left, holding spear and shield.
Rev: SALVS AVG, Salus standing right, feeding serpent held in arms. V in left field; * in right field, TXXI in exergue.
Refs: RIC-500; Cohen 584.

Next: Salvs or Hygieia.
  • Like 12
  • Laugh 1

• Benefactor

Roman Republic, Manius Acilius Glabrio, AR Denarius, 50 BCE (Harlan and BMCRR) or 49 BCE (Crawford), Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head of Salus right, wearing necklace and earring, with hair collected behind in knot ornamented with jewels, SALVTIS upwards behind head / Rev. Valetudo [an alternate manifestation of Salus]* [Harlan says portrayal is of a statue of Valetudo] standing left, holding snake with right hand and resting left arm on column, MN•ACILIVS [downwards on right] III•VIR•VALETV [upwards on left] [MN and TV monogrammed].  RSC I Acilia 8, Crawford 442/1a, Sydenham 922, Sear RCV I 412 (ill.), Harlan, RRM II Ch. 30 at pp. 229-238, BMCRR Rome 3945. 17.5 mm., 3.98 g.  

image.jpeg.ea6db283638b7f102f0354b25da486ac.jpeg

* Valetudo was essentially another manifestation of Salus (portrayed on the obverse), the goddess of health and well-being -- a concept sometimes “extended to include not only physical health but also the general welfare of the Roman people, the army and the state.” John Melville Jones, Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (London, 1990) at p. 276.  This is the only Roman coin to depict a personification of Valetudo. See id. at p. 314.  

Next, another coin depicting a snake or serpent -- and I'd love to know if there's a difference in a numismatic context!

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, Roman Collector said:

This helmet is both "rad" and "radiate"!

Very well played, sir!!

24 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Next, another coin depicting a snake or serpent -- and I'd love to know if there's a difference in a numismatic context!

Not as far as I know!  Here are a couple:

image.thumb.jpeg.bce31229c0573f35b001a9b259ec1084.jpeg

Next: an unusual conveyance

P.S. Hooray, @dougsmitis here! 🥳

• Like 15

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

Roman Republic, Manius Acilius Glabrio, AR Denarius, 50 BCE (Harlan and BMCRR) or 49 BCE (Crawford), Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head of Salus right, wearing necklace and earring, with hair collected behind in knot ornamented with jewels, SALVTIS upwards behind head / Rev. Valetudo [an alternate manifestation of Salus]* [Harlan says portrayal is of a statue of Valetudo] standing left, holding snake with right hand and resting left arm on column, MN•ACILIVS [downwards on right] III•VIR•VALETV [upwards on left] [MN and TV monogrammed].  RSC I Acilia 8, Crawford 442/1a, Sydenham 922, Sear RCV I 412 (ill.), Harlan, RRM II Ch. 30 at pp. 229-238, BMCRR Rome 3945. 17.5 mm., 3.98 g.  

image.jpeg.ea6db283638b7f102f0354b25da486ac.jpeg

* Valetudo was essentially another manifestation of Salus (portrayed on the obverse), the goddess of health and well-being -- a concept sometimes “extended to include not only physical health but also the general welfare of the Roman people, the army and the state.” John Melville Jones, Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (London, 1990) at p. 276.  This is the only Roman coin to depict a personification of Valetudo. See id. at p. 314.  

Late, but always worth the wait!

So happy we get to enjoy your jaw dropping Roman Republic coins🤩

Keeping it RR:

1224925_1591361402-removebg-preview.png.1d77adb66dc39b5122d218393f9af6ca.pngnext: a coin that upped your collection

• Like 13