Post it and pick it!

Ryro

[IMG]
Trebonianus Gallus, AD 251-253.
Roman provincial Æ 26.2 mm, 10.80 g, 12 h.
Moesia Superior, Viminacium, AD 251/2.
Obv: IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: P M S COL VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, with hands outstretched; to left, bull standing right; to right, lion standing left; AN XIII in exergue.
Refs: RPC IX, 58; AMNG I.1, 163; BMC 41; Moushmov 56; SNG Hungary 509; Wiczay 2099.

Next: Dated Roman provincial.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Roman Collector said:

Next: Dated Roman provincial.

image.jpeg.68f20001d1d07500f37f3780797116b3.jpeg

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
Tetradrachm of the Roman Imperial Period 61/62 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 25mm; Weight: 14.72g; Mint: Antiochia ad Orontem, Syria Phoenice; Reference: Prieur 82 (66 ex); Provenance: cgb.fr Numismatique Paris; Obverse: Bust of Nero with aegis and laurel wreath to the right. Inscription: ΝΕΡΩΝΟΣ · ΚΑΙΣΑΡΟΣ · ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΥ for Neronos Kaisaros Sebastou (Nero Caesar Augustus); Reverse: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt with open wings, palm branch to left. Inscription: H · IP for H (8, Eta) I (10, Iota) + P (100, Rho) means year 8 of the regnal year (61/62 AD) and year 110 of the caesarian era.

Next: another provincial Nero coin please.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

normal_Nero_R819_fac.jpg.cabc24e34b0f73fc5dcff00f65db4886.jpg

Nero
Lydia, Hierocaesareia
Obv: ΝƐΡWΝ ΚΛΑΥΔΙΟϹ ΚΑΙϹΑΡ ϹƐΒΑϹΤΟϹ.
Bareheaded and draped bust right.
Rev: ΙƐΡΟΚΑΙϹΑΡƐWΝ ƐΠΙ ΚΑΠΙΤWΝΟϹ
Artemis standing right, drawing bow.
Ref.: RPC I, 2385B (This is the rare version without stag)

Next: Artemis + stag

• Like 9
  • Yes 1

15 minutes ago, AncientOne said:

Next: Provincial Phrygia 

image.jpeg.72723ff2bb3589dbdc090db994e23d1f.jpeg

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
Under the Magistrate Sergios Hephaistion; Bronze of the Roman Imperial Period ca. 55 AD; Material: AE, Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 4.25g; Mint: Iulia, Phrygia; Reference: RPC I. 3191 (Specimens 17, 1 in the core collections), vA Phryg. I 404–14; Obverse: Draped bust of Nero, right. The Inscription reads: ΝΕΡΩΝ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ for Neron Kaisaras (Nero Augustus); Reverse: Mên on horseback with spear, right. The Inscription reads: ΣΕΡΓΙΟΣ ΗΦΑΙΣΤΙΩΝ ΙΟΥΛΙΕΩΝ for Sergios Iphaistion Ioulieon (Magistrate Sergios Hephaistion, City of Iulia).

Next: a roman provincial bronze coin with an diameter of 14-16mm.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 12

Mysia, Pergamum. Pseudo-Autonomous. Circa AD 40-60 (under Caligula, Claudius or Nero). Æ16 (3.76g, 12h). Obv: ΘЄΩΝ ϹYNKΛHTON; Draped bust of Roman Senate right. Rev: ΘЄAN PΩMHN; Turreted bust of Roma right. Ref: BMC Mysia, pg. 134, 205; RPC I, 2374. Pleasant Very Fine, nice dark green patina.image.jpeg.f2bfa96c263e21c201fe2d2f506ef5b1.jpeg

Next: Caligula, Claudius or Nero.

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, Edessa said:

Next: Caligula, Claudius or Nero.

Another one of my Leu wins that will never arrive 😆

01267q00.jpg

Aspurgus, as king, 14/5-37/8. 12 Units (Bronze, 21 mm, 7.88 g, 12 h). Diademed head of Aspurgus to right; to right, [IB] (mark of value); to left, monogram. Rev. ΓAIOY KA[IΣAPOΣ Γ]EPMANIKOY Bare head of Gaius (Caligula) to right. MacDonald 302. RPC I 1904.

Next: A coin from the Ptolemaic / Seleucid dynasty

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

Hi All,

How about a coin that spans both ("A coin from the Ptolemaic / Seleucid dynasty").

image.png.ebc7c78503b0c8b1ba0ab87f5972edc4.png

PTOLEMY III EUERGETES (246-222 BCE)
ASIA MINOR, CILICIA, PROBABLY TARSUS ca 278 BCE (After Tarsus' Capture by Ptolemy II)
Æ
Size: 19x20 mm
Weight: 6.66 g
Die Axis: 01:00
Broucheion Collection P-2019-09-21.001

OBV: Dioscuri, wearing pointed caps surmounted by stars, and holding their spears upright, mounted on prancing horses moving to right. At 10:00 position countermark of Ptolemaic eagle, wings closed, facing right within circular punch. Dotted border.
REV: Athena Promachos standing, with spear and shield, brandishing javelin in right hand, shield in left hand, anchor with flukes left below. In left field: [ΒΑ]ΣΙΛΕΩΣ; In right field: ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ. No control. Plain border.
Refs: Undertype is SC-565; WSM-1313η (Antiochus II); Koln 59; SNG Spaer 348A
Note: Ptolemaic Eagle Countermark.
Provenance: Ex Savoca 24th Blue Auction (21 Sep 2019), Lot #538

CPE COMMENTS: "So far, there is no evidence that Ptolemy III struck bronze coinage in Cilicia. Instead it appears that his policy was to countermark bronze coins already circulating in the area. ET Newell (1941) identified as Ptolemaic the eagle countermark that appears on bronzes of Antiochus II from the Tarsus mint (WSM 1312γ & 1313η], with discussion of the countermark on p 223); for another example, see Koln 59. The Ptolemaic eagle countermark also appears on a civic bronze of Adana in the RN Draskowski collection.

Davesne redated the series to the Second Syrian War, specifically to the short period from the end of 261 to 259. Davesne 's reattribution is persuasive, because there is a break in the Tarsian coinage of Antiochus II that is filled by the following series, which displays control links to both the preceding and subsequent coinage."

CC Lorber (EUROS, 2014): "Alain Davesne showed that these coins interrupted the sequence of Antiochus II, and he proposed a date of issue in the early part of the Second Syrian War, specifically from the end of 261 to 259. ... Unfortunately, we know nothing about Tarsus under Ptolemy II except that his dominance was only an interlude."

Next (again): A coin from the Ptolemaic / Seleucid dynasty

- Broucheion

Edited by Broucheion
  • Like 13

55 minutes ago, Broucheion said:

Next (again): A coin from the Ptolemaic / Seleucid dynasty

image.jpeg.57b46e7de46b6d3dc682a532ce3794e8.jpeg

Antiochos VIII Epiphanes Philometor Kallinikos (Grypos)
Tetradrachm of the Seleucid Empire Period 121/114 BC; Material: Silver; Diameter: 29mm; Weight: 16.44g; Mint: Antiochia ad Orontem, Seleucid Empire; Reference: SC 2298.2e, HGC 9 1197e; Provenance: Roma Numismatic London; Obverse: You can see the diademed head of Antiochos VIII to right; Reverse: Zeus Ouranós, draped, standing facing, head to left, holding star in outstretched hand and long sceptre. Crescent above, IE over A in left field, N in inner right field. All within laurel wreath border. The inscription reads: ΒAΣΙΛEΩΣ ΑNTIOXOY EΠIΦANOYΣ for Basileos Antiochou Epiphanous (Basileús Antíochos ho Epiphanḗs / King Antiochos, the appearing God).

Next: another Greek Silver coin more than 25mm Diameter please.
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

My only Ptolemaic coin just meets the threshold:

Egypt, Ptolemaic Kingdom, Ptolemy VI Philometor [“Mother-loving”] (First reign, 180-164 BCE), AR Tetradrachm ca.180-170 BCE, Alexandria Mint. Obv. Diademed head of Ptolemy I right, wearing aegis / Rev. Eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt, ΠTOΛEMAIOY on left, BAΣIΛEΩΣ on right. Seaby 7895 [Sear, David, Greek Coins & their Values, Vol. II: Asia & Africa (Seaby 1979)]; Svoronos 1489 (ill. Pl. 51a, Nos. 1-5) [Svoronos, J.N., Ta Nomismata tou Kratous ton Ptolemaion  (Athens, 1904-08)] (see https://www.coin.com/images/dr/svoronos/svc001p209t.html [incorrectly attributed to Ptolemy VIII]); SNG Copenhagen 262-268 [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Copenhagen, The Royal Collection of Coins and Medals, Danish National Museum, Part 40: Egypt: The Ptolemies (Copenhagen 1977)]; BMC 6 Ptolemaic Egypt 3 (p. 100) (ill. Pl. XXIV No. 5) [Poole, R.S., A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 6, Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt (London, 1883)]. 26 mm., 12.14 g.

image.jpeg.f0aa1b24413f7421c43733f54f5dc45d.jpeg

Next, another Ptolemaic tetradrachm.

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

12 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Next, another Ptolemaic tetradrachm.

6h later Rule - and i have only a Ptolemaios coin 🙂 

image.jpeg.0217afc1497b171fb83d0bb262b5c249.jpeg

Ptolemaios I Soter, as Satrap (323-305 BC)
In the name and types of Alexander III; Tetradrachm of the Ptolemaic Kingdom 316/315 BC (Dated RY 18 of Abdalonymos); Material: Silver; Diameter: 27mm; Weight: 17.10g; Mint: Sidon, Phoenicia; Reference: Price 3504, Newell Dated 50 (unlisted dies), Rouvier 1150, DCA 877; Provenance: Superior Galleries Numismatics New York; Obverse: Head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin headdress; Reverse: Zeus seated left on low throne, holding long scepter in his left hand and eagle standing right with closed wings in his right; Σ (date) in left field, ΣI below throne. The Inscription reads: AΛEΞANΔPOY for Alexandrou (Alexander III the Great).

Next: another "in the name of Alexander III" coin please.

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

Kings of Macedon. Antigonos I Monophthalmos, as Strategos of Asia, 320-306/305 BC, or as King, 306/305-301 BC. AR Drachm (16.5mm, 4.23g, 6h). In the name and types of Alexander III. Lampsakos mint. Struck circa 310-301 BC. Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin. Rev: ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ; Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in left field, forepart of Pegasos left; monogram below throne. Ref: Price 1382; ADM II Series XVIII. Very Fine, toned, slightly off center. Ex CNG eAuction 414, Lot 102.

image.jpeg.60fe805d69fb7a9399da3e0e2ad21439.jpeg

Next: Pegasos.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Edessa said:

Next: Pegasos.

normal_3bCHgN5FAtm97kXxY87i6pQqfH4EGs.jpg.d47272006bebd005bb966f7c6b186d4f.jpg

Iberia. Indigets. Emporia Æ AS...27.88mm/10.05grams..27-25 BC..
Obverse:Head of the goddess Pallas Athena wearing a Corinthian helmet with the visor raised and a large plume.
Reverse: Pegasos flying right, laurel crown above rump; EMPO below.
Villaronga, ACIP 1098 - R6
Ex Archer M Huntington Collection (HSA 1001.1.10234).

Next...Iberic bronze

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

Coin: Bronze Quadrans
- Diademed male head right; uncertain Iberian letter before. Border of dots.
CaSTeLE in Iberian letters - Boar right; star above; legend below exergual line
Mint: Castulo (Late 2nd century BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 2.95g / 16mm / 6h
References:
  • Alvarez-Burgos 736
Acquisition: Q.A. Coins AP Auction #17 8-Nov-2015

spacer.pngspacer.png

Next... a boar

• Like 12

normal_Rechenpfennig_2.jpg.55ba6636b1a2262016b0239f53ab4ed7.jpg

Counter Token/Jeton
by Hans Krauwinckel, Nuremberg, AD 1586-1635
Obv.: APOLLO DIANA /in ex. H . K . - Apollo with harp to left. Diana with dog, spear, arrow and quiver to right.
Rev.: MELIAGER - Meleagros, left, giving Atlante, to the right, head of a killed boar.
AE, 4.63g, 27mm
Ref.: Stalzer Pl. 35, 307.

Next: token

• Like 11

6 hours ago, shanxi said:

Next: token

6h rule...

DIADRIC102a.jpg.0daf2dda7a8cfbba59fb99977b37856e.jpg

Marcus Opellius Antoninus Diadumenianus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 217/218 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 20mm; Weight: 3.69g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC IV Macrinus 102a (Rare variant without victory wreath); Obverse: You can see the draped, bare-headed bust of Diadumenianus facing right. The inscription reads: M OPEL ANT DIADVMENIAN CAES for Marcus Opellius Antoninus Diadumenianus Caesar; Reverse: Diadumenianus Caesar is shown standing from the front, his head turned to the right. He holds a signum (standard) in his right hand and a scepter in his left. Two more signa (standards) are shown to his right. The inscription reads: PRINC IVVENTVTIS for Princeps Iuventutis (the first of youth).

Next: a coin from his father.
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Next: a coin from his father.

My least expensive coin at about 2 euros.

3542095_1669386451.jpg

Syria, Seleucis and Pieria. Antiochia ad Orontem. Macrinus. A.D. 217-218. Æ (17mm, 4.1 g). AVT KAI M O CЄ MAKPINOC CЄ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right / S·C, legend within laurel wreath, tied by star above; Δ above, Є below.

Next: A coin that just really makes you happy and explain why 😁

• Like 9

This e-sen makes me really happy. The e-sen are the tokens or charms which originated from Japan. Their early history is pretty unknown but they were common and appeared in hundreds of types by the 1700s when Japanese catalogers began to record them. This is my first authentically old e-sen, at least a century but I would suggest as old as the 1700s. The charm is especially cool to me because of its provenance- it used to be owed by Wybrand Op den Velde who coauthored the English standard for Korean charms. This piece, being Japanese, is not covered by the book, unfortunately, but I was still very excited to have a coin from an author who's work I have in my library. Furthermore, I've always just really enjoyed the traditions of using the square-hole coin standard as a medium to use for further art. It is pretty similar to the way jetons and historical medals were used in Europe and elsewhere but these Japanese charms usually depict more culturally traditional scenes and less specific events and locations. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_numismatic_charm

image.png.adbfe6525237caeb3764b89ba37f7ff7.png

Japan
c. 1690 to 1900 AD
Anonymous e-sen
AE charm | 7.94 grams | 24mm wide | 2.25mm thick
Obv: Man pulling a grudging horse with bundle by lead, called 綱踏駒曳, an allegory 'to force without brains is useless'
Rev: Blank
Ref: Hartill EJC#7.87var, Z#220251
Ex: Wybrand Op den Velde

Next: a coin and its provenance (not necessarily important or notable)

Edited by TuckHard
  • Like 11

normal_Medaillen_Artemis_01_Henri_II_fac.jpg.e846b4055a67f3e5fec40aa355f8ba82.jpg

Henri II
Obv.: + HENRICVS. II. GALLIAR - REX CHRISTIANISS. PP, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Henry II facing right.
Rev.: .NOMEN. AD *ASTRA. 1552, Diana walking left front, arrow in right hand, bow in left hand, building and tree in background.
From the collection of Baron Auguste Gaspard Louis Desnoyers (1779-1857)
Possibly an old restrike
Ref.: Mazerolle, Medailleurs francais. No. 112, Appel (HENRICVS II) 3

Next: Medal / Medallion

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, shanxi said:

Next: Medal / Medallion

One of my favourite medallions and also one of the themes that has always interested me a lot - Bartholomew's Night. 

image.jpeg.7474fcbf80a9b066faaeaf3ab7f00664.jpeg

Pope Gregory XIII, Italy Vatican, Medal minted 1572

Minted for the "joy" of the massacre of the Huguenots in Paris 1572 during the famous Bartholomew's Night. Also known as the "Parisian Blood Wedding". You can see a winged angel on the back, a sword in one hand, a cross in the other. Dead Huguenots lie on the ground, other corpses are loaded onto a cart for removal. Pope Gregory XIII did not directly support the massacre. However, he expressly welcomed the slaughter of the Huguenots.

Thus, two contradictory events remain in the memory of this Pope. In a good and in a terrible way, Pope Gregory XIII inscribed himself in the history books. In connection with the Night of St Bartholomew, but also in connection with his calendar reform. His Gregorian calendar is the calendar we use today.

Sources if you are interested: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bartholomew's_Day_massacre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_XIII
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

Next: another medal, which shows a historical event on its reverse.

• Like 10

zerbe.jpg.5ad82accdb2de7e6258207c944603f46.jpg

Translated:

Advertising token
Av: WASH YOURSELF BATHE YOURSELF WITH KLEIOLIN
CHEM. WORKS FORMERLY. DR. C. ZERBE FREIBURG I/BAD
Head of Libertas with pileus (motif of the cent coins of Liberia)
Rv: A GOOD COUNCIL IS WORTH MORE THAN 20 MARK
Spanish coat of arms
(imitation of the reverse of Spanish 20 pesetas gold coins)
Year: around 1890
Material: brass, 4.49g, 24.1mm

Next: another charm, token, jeton, weight, etc

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 10

• Benefactor

Great Britain, Ireland, Anti-slavery halfpenny token, 1795 (AE 30 mm., 9.4 g.), catalogued as No. 1039a at p. 304 of P. & B. Withers, The Token Book: British Tokens of the 17th 18th and 19th Centuries and their Values (Galata 2010). Obv: African slave kneeling right, hands raised together in chains, AM I NOT A MAN AND A BROTHER / Rev. Clasped hands, MAY SLAVERY & OPPRESSION CEASE THROUGHOUT THE WORLD (rosette before legend)/ Edge: PAYABLE IN DUBLIN CORK OR BELFAST.

image.jpeg.5dfce2798a7f9a6a4337f06799fe5239.jpeg

Next, another halfpenny, either a token or a coin, from any country.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 12