Numis Forums Suggestions

Restitutor

On 10/11/2023 at 9:13 AM, Salomons Cat said:

I agree!

And the "Roman Empire" section of this forum is notably bustling with activity - it's the most active among all sections. However, the Roman Empire spans a vast period of time. Would it be prudent to consider dividing it into two distinct sub-sections: "Early Roman Empire (27 BC - 284 AD)" and "Late Roman Empire (284 AD - 641 AD)"?

Presently, the content within the Roman Empire section is rather amalgamated, which at times appears disorganized in my opinion.

What about "Roman Empire - Period Edward Gibbon Liked" and "Roman Empire - Period Edward Gibbon Didn't Like" 😁

It is an interesting idea, will take it into consideration!

• Laugh 3

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Restitutor said:

What about "Roman Empire - Period Edward Gibbon Liked" and "Roman Empire - Period Edward Gibbon Didn't Like" 😁

It is an interesting idea, will take it into consideration!

I suppose there could also be separate Provincial and Imperial sub-forums, but I'm not sure it's necessary given that most collectors of each also collect the other.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 8:13 PM, DonnaML said:

I suppose there could also be separate Provincial and Imperial sub-forums, but I'm not sure it's necessary given that most collectors of each also collect the other.

I would rather suggest an additional "mixed" sub-forum instead. Because threads like "Show me your blue coins!" should have a place, too. 

Roman Empire
- Period Edward Gibbon Liked
- Period Edward Gibbon Didn't Like
- Mixed

I'm not sure how it could be called, though... "Mixed" doesn't sound very sophisticated.
And is the "World Banknotes" Forum is really needed?

Edited by Salomons Cat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I propose streamlining the main page by relocating the extensive list of Benefactors, Patrons, and Supporters. While acknowledging their significance, a condensed link placed at the top of the page would suffice. Constant visibility of this exhaustive list detracts from the clarity and simplicity of the main page, making it overwhelming for daily use.

• Like 4
  • Gasp 1

On 2/1/2024 at 9:03 PM, Salomons Cat said:

I propose streamlining the main page by relocating the extensive list of Benefactors, Patrons, and Supporters. While acknowledging their significance, a condensed link placed at the top of the page would suffice. Constant visibility of this exhaustive list detracts from the clarity and simplicity of the main page, making it overwhelming for daily use.

I would like to add something more:
I know that this forum costs money and hosting pictures and files will at some point become very expensive if the forum continues growing.

In order to get something like "sustainable growth" in this forum I would suggest that a file management system gets implemented. That could mean, for example, that each user can only upload a limited amount of images. These images are uploaded and stored in a personal gallery. If someone wants to post something in the forum, they can select images from their gallery. 
The number of files could be increased for supporters.

But if everyone can upload all images without any limit all the time (as it seems to be at the moment), there will certainly be problems with file storage and costs sooner or later.

Also, The Cabinet is gone

So, to summarize my suggestions:
1) Please consider removing the extensive list of Benefactors, Patrons, and Supporters from the main page
2) Would it be possible to make The Cabinet visible again?
3) For the long term, I would suggest to organize the file storage system in a more economical way

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Salomons Cat said:

I would like to add something more:
I know that this forum costs money and hosting pictures and files will at some point become very expensive if the forum continues growing.

In order to get something like "sustainable growth" in this forum I would suggest that a file management system gets implemented. That could mean, for example, that each user can only upload a limited amount of images. These images are uploaded and stored in a personal gallery. If someone wants to post something in the forum, they can select images from their gallery. 
The number of files could be increased for supporters.

But if everyone can upload all images without any limit all the time (as it seems to be at the moment), there will certainly be problems with file storage and costs sooner or later.

Also, The Cabinet is gone

So, to summarize my suggestions:
1) Please consider removing the extensive list of Benefactors, Patrons, and Supporters from the main page
2) Would it be possible to make The Cabinet visible again?
3) For the long term, I would suggest to organize the file storage system in a more economical way

I agree that making the list of supporters so prominent detracts from the view of the main page. Something pinned at the top encouraging people to support the forum might be more effective. 

But one of the main things I love about this place is the absence of the strict limit of 10 images per post that was in effect at Coin Talk, and was sometimes extremely annoying. Surely it's up to  @Restitutor to decide whether the absence of such a limit creates a problem?

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
3 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I agree that making the list of supporters so prominent detracts from the view of the main page. Something pinned at the top encouraging people to support the forum might be more effective. 

But one of the main things I love about this place is the absence of the strict limit of 10 images per post that was in effect at Coin Talk, and was sometimes extremely annoying. Surely it's up to  @Restitutor to decide whether the absence of such a limit creates a problem?

I second this. I find it extremely valuable to post more than 10 images and that was one of the main factors in choosing my membership level.

I agree though that the list of benefactors at the bottom is unnecessary. The title under our profile images is sufficient IMHO.

However, if you're looking to improve the income of the site to pay for more features, you could offer for a fee to include a link + small thumbnail on the main page. My preference would be that these are members' personal pages and aren't advertisements for sellers or auction houses.

• Like 3