Numis Forums Suggestions

Restitutor

Numis Heads,

As our forum continues to grow, I wanted to create a consolidated thread for all website suggestions. Pretty straightforward: anything you'd like to see added/removed/changed whatever, feel free to post as a reply here! High level thoughts/ideas or targeted/precise ones, whatever is on your mind for how to improve the site is welcome in this thread!

-Res

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Everything seems to be running seamlessly, but honestly, and no disrespect intended, the software used for the site is terrible.  There really isnt much I like about it at all.  The software used at CoinTalk seems to be pretty universal from what I have seen, and I think for a good reason.

42 minutes ago, KenDorney said:

Everything seems to be running seamlessly, but honestly, and no disrespect intended, the software used for the site is terrible.  There really isnt much I like about it at all.  The software used at CoinTalk seems to be pretty universal from what I have seen, and I think for a good reason.

Hey Ken- thanks for the honesty! When you say ‘software’ could you expand a little what you mean? Is it the fluid view of the site vs the more “traditional” forum layout? 

• Like 1

What ID
As already discussed, an extra section for the identification or discussion of coins - so that technical questions and discussions with as little OT as possible enrich and enhance the forum.

Gallery
Maybe users can create their own albums, store their collectors' pictures there individually and thus create and present their own collections.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

What ID
As already discussed, an extra section for the identification or discussion of coins - so that technical questions and discussions with as little OT as possible enrich and enhance the forum.

Gallery
Maybe users can create their own albums, store their collectors' pictures there individually and thus create and present their own collections.

Great suggestions! I rolled out the ID forum this morning so you should see it now! Going to start moving more posts in there from the past. Will look into the gallery! 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

2 hours ago, KenDorney said:

I couldn’t disagree more! I find the Invision software to be better in almost every way, it’s far less clunky. Plus there aren’t the problems with people being unable to sign up due to antiquated troll-prevention measures. 

@KenDorney, I’d be surprised if the things you don’t like couldn’t be fixed by changing your preferences. (Certainly the default notifications need adjustment.)

• Like 3
  • Yes 4

4 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

I couldn’t disagree more! I find the Invision software to be better in almost every way, it’s far less clunky. Plus there aren’t the problems with people being unable to sign up due to antiquated troll-prevention measures. 

@KenDorney, I’d be surprised if the things you don’t like couldn’t be fixed by changing your preferences. (Certainly the default notifications need adjustment.)

Yes I find it much easier to use. Perhaps there are specific issues?

For me, posting photos is the easiest I've seen. There are far fewer dead images. You can quote selections, not whole posts you then have to half delete (hooray!). You can add a link to text rather than post the actual link. Formatting text is ok - a few quirks, but certainly no more than any other site. You can format your profile more than anywhere else and more easily. The way posts are shown is much, much better - all in one stream you can filter to your interests, rather than having to visit ancients, then world, then modern etc., and yet still avoid loads of posts about US error coins or Coin Roll finds.

A few other plusses that aren't platform related - being able to edit posts more easily and forever. Lack of adverts. Forums you can't find anywhere else.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

I haven't seen much of it yet, but it might be a good idea to have:

1) A sticky with helpful links to attribute unidentified coins (Wildwinds, Tesorillo, Asiaminorcoins, ACsearch, CNG Research, RPC Online, among others)

2) Below that, maybe we could think-tank a guide to the ~25-50 most commonly encountered coins (and commonly encountered fakes) so that in the future the board doesn't get inundated with "PLS HALP ID" threads when it's just another fallen horseman or sunday school widow's mite replica.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

• Benefactor
On 8/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, Restitutor said:

Hey Ken- thanks for the honesty! When you say ‘software’ could you expand a little what you mean? Is it the fluid view of the site vs the more “traditional” forum layout? 

I'm guessing its just whatever is being used for the site.  I do like the format at CoinTalk.  I want to be able to just go to a main page and see all the messages without having to search for them in the various categories.  Right now I have to go to 'Activity' then sort by 'All', 'Unread' etc.  This just gives me a list of messages by date and time, not by thread.  Maybe I'm not using it right.  If I go to the main page I can just check the boxes to get a list of threads, but I dont want to do that every visit.  Is there a way to make it easier?

• Benefactor
26 minutes ago, KenDorney said:

I'm guessing its just whatever is being used for the site.  I do like the format at CoinTalk.  I want to be able to just go to a main page and see all the messages without having to search for them in the various categories.  Right now I have to go to 'Activity' then sort by 'All', 'Unread' etc.  This just gives me a list of messages by date and time, not by thread.  Maybe I'm not using it right.  If I go to the main page I can just check the boxes to get a list of threads, but I dont want to do that every visit.  Is there a way to make it easier?

@KenDorneyGo to the home page. The way yours is set up now, I think you'll see the heading "Forums" in bold type. To the right of that are three boxes, various configurations of lines. Click the box on the right. That should give you the set up you're looking for if I understand you correctly. Close to it anyway.

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Yes 1

5 hours ago, KenDorney said:

I'm guessing it’s just whatever is being used for the site.  I do like the format at CoinTalk.  I want to be able to just go to a main page and see all the messages without having to search for them in the various categories.  Right now I have to go to 'Activity' then sort by 'All', 'Unread' etc.  This just gives me a list of messages by date and time, not by thread.  Maybe I'm not using it right.  If I go to the main page I can just check the boxes to get a list of threads, but I dont want to do that every visit.  Is there a way to make it easier?

In addition to Phil’s comment above, here is the link to a quick video I put together showing how to change the forum layout:

Please let me know if this helps!

• Thanks 1

• Benefactor

I know this is doable today via switching languages on the computer, but I access NumisForums from a variety of devices so this would be useful:

Add a button that pops open keyboards for the Greek, Aramaic, and Phoenician alphabets. We can then insert those letters into our posts.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

It came to my attention that someone has questioned civility and equality practices here.  I do not know their specific issues but I am probably colored by those being the issues that brought many of us here from the other place.   I must be so dense that I am missing what the complaints could be.  I do know that I consider all forms of politics repulsive mostly due to the time I spent in Washington DC in a place where politicians tend to congregate.  What are the complaints (well founded or ridiculous) put forward by those who do not like NF?  

• Confused 1

• Benefactor

I was experiencing a few bugs in past weeks but those minor problems have worked themselves out and turned out to be on my end.

I’m loving it. The design is tasteful, easy on the eyes, well organized, and easily navigated. Many thanks for a great site  !

—DR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dougsmit said:

It came to my attention that someone has questioned civility and equality practices here.  I do not know their specific issues but I am probably colored by those being the issues that brought many of us here from the other place.   I must be so dense that I am missing what the complaints could be.  I do know that I consider all forms of politics repulsive mostly due to the time I spent in Washington DC in a place where politicians tend to congregate.  What are the complaints (well founded or ridiculous) put forward by those who do not like NF?  

I must profess myself dense as well on this and it comes as quite a surprise to read it. Hopefully any concerned party would feel comfortable sending me a private message, or if they wish, to comment publicly here.

• Like 1

Hi @Restitutor,

I frequently read all posts in a string. Once I do that, is there a way to hide those read threads (ideally a toggle button) until there is something new to read? A toggle would allow me to ‘unhide all’ if I need to look for something in a read string.

Thanks for making this all possible. 

- Broucheion 

On 8/25/2022 at 9:54 PM, ambr0zie said:

There is one thing that I don't like on NF, but I don't know if it's a bug or intended as a feature. When hitting Enter and starting a new paragraph, there is an extra line added. Is there any way to remove this?

image.png.b4c172dcc0be4796fdeeef7fd2e3edd9.png

This seems to be a feature of a lot of software. MS Word does exactly the same and tries its hardest to force you to add these spaces.
However, you just have to press Shift + Enter and your next line will not have a space above it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like an entry "Ancient" in the list of forums. Today I started a thread on "auction experiences" and I didn't know which "Forum" to select. Maybe that would be "General," but many threads could have both Roman and Greek coins in them and "Ancient" would seem a good way to categorize them and more meaningful and evocative than "General." 

A minor suggestion: it would be useful to hide the "Tell a friend" box and to perhaps have only a single pinned thread at the top rather than five as it stands today (which then links to the underlying threads). 

With most common default browser resolutions, only one real post is visible "above the fold", requiring an immediate scroll down to see anything new. I feel as if this reduces engagement and return visits as that one extra step takes a modicum of effort.

It would be worth seeing if the "Tell a friend" box persists any metrics on-click as I'd guess that the conversion rate isn't worth the real estate it's taking up: sharing links is straightforward enough these days.

Just my two sestertii worth!

Edited by AncientJoe
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

A minor suggestion: it would be useful to hide the "Tell a friend" box and to perhaps have only a single pinned thread at the top rather than five as it stands today (which then links to the underlying threads). 

With most common default browser resolutions, only one real post is visible "above the fold", requiring an immediate scroll down to see anything new. I feel as if this reduces engagement and return visits as that one extra step takes a modicum of effort.

It would be worth seeing if the "Tell a friend" box persists any metrics on-click as I'd guess that the conversion rate isn't worth the real estate it's taking up: sharing links is straightforward enough these days.

Just my two sestertii worth!

Thanks Joe! Agreed with your point regarding the “tell a friend” box. As you can imagine when we first started I was unabashedly doing everything to help the forum grow. Think we’re at a point now (yay!) where I can move that field off to the right given our successful growth trajectory coming from sources outside the “tell a friend” box.  

As to the pinned threads, this one is more difficult given how fluid feeds work. I do agree it takes up real-estate for guests who likely want to get straight to the content. I’ll look into whether I can alter the view that non-members see to hide some of the pinned posts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple suggestions for the cabinet.

Perhaps listings could have what country they are in, what countries they ship to and what method of payment they will accept?

and

Some listings are also lacking descriptions. I know some people are so familiar with coins that a picture is worth a thousand words but there are probably others ( like myself ) that often don't know what it is we are looking at. 

Thank you.

• Like 2

• Restitutor unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

A suggestion...don't know if it's a good one. Obviously, here at year's end, we've got members' "Top" lists starting to roll in.

The "General" forum contains lots of posts that are not related to collectors' lists. Consolidating all "Top" lists together will make it very easy to find specific lists and to scan through them.

How about creating a specific forum for "'Top' Lists" so that members' lists are easy to find? (I suppose it could even be a sub-forum nested under "General".) Once it's created you could move the existing "Top" lists that have already been posted in "General" to the newly created forum, and instruct all members to direct their future lists there as well.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

• Like 4
  • Yes 1