The Cabinet - Ancient & World Coin Marketplace

Restitutor

Two magnificent coins from @Spaniard showed up yesterday.  If memory serves, they were personal offers, but very much on the rebound from no less amazing stuff he'd sold me through the Cabinet.

...Back up a little.  I mostly hang out in the earlier middle ages (9th-earlier 13th centuries).  Which inexorably involves making the historical significance a higher criterion than the esthetics.  (In a world reeking of false dichotomies, this ain't one of 'em.)  Right, 'coins as miniature documents;' emphasis on the legends, and that kind of thing.  I'm fine with it, since my interest in obsession with coins has always been secondary to the history that they variously explicate and symptomize. 

Which, ironically or not, is why it's so much fun to make forays into other periods.  Whether for ancients or early modern stuff, I get to let my guard down a little, and give the esthetics higher priority.  In these cases, though, the coins serve as prototypes for medieval issues.  A lot of this will be redundant, relative to other posts, but I, for one, am happy enough not to care any more.

...Case in point.  This follis of Maxentius is magnificent.  In hand, there's some silvering in the reverse fields.  Similarly, the detail of the hair and beard are of the kind that routinely defies photography.MAX_TOGETHHER.jpg.5d8bad7eceb1260ac7600c81528a6df3.jpg

From @Spaniard's description, in correspondence:

Maxentius AE Follis, Rome. AD 306-312...23/25mm diameter..6.92gr
Obverse..IMP C MAXENTIVS PF AVG, laureate head right.
Reverse..CONSERV VRB SVAE, Roma seated front, head left, shield at her side, within hexastyle temple, holding globe and sceptre, wreath in pediment, knobs as acroteria.
Mintmark RBS. RIC VI Rome 210; Sear 14987.

From a medieval kind of place, this has to evoke the Carolingian and eventual French feudal (and Ottonian German) issues that imitate late Roman temple motifs.  

This one, effectively the medieval prototype, has already Christianized the temple motif.  Well, God bless them with that.  ...Or, 'Best of luck,' if you wanted to translate from the Monotheism.  Louis I, son and successor of Charlemagne, 813/4-840.  

image.jpeg.35d0219f960227e82f1336f994e490e1.jpeg

Rev. XPISTIANA RELIGIO.  (The first two letters transliterated from the Orthodox Greek; cf. the Kyrie in the (otherwise, mostly) Latin Mass.)

Obv.  +HLVDOVVICVS IMP[ERATOR].  (No less eloquently demonstrating the Germanic origin of '[H]ludowicus,' even as Latinized here.  Here's where you get the Modern French 'Louis,' and the Modern German 'Ludwig.'  As if the two languages divided up the medieval Latin: you take that part, I'll take this.  ...Just in terms of the linguistic dynamics, I love watching this kind of stuff happen.)

And the one of Licinius,with more silvering than I've ever seen on anything from the  early 4th century, is no less amazing.  Again with @Spaniard's full attribution.

image.jpeg.b5d2c4e31f0614edcf326f0508613f3c.jpeg

Licinius I AE3. AD 317. 19mmdia (some silvering remains)
Obverse-IMP LICI-NIVS AVG, Laureate, draped bust left, holding globe, sceptre and mappa
Reverse-PROVIDENTIAE AVGG, campgate, 5 layers, three turrets, no doors.
Mintmark MHTA. RIC VII 17 Heraclea 1st oficina (minted 317AD)

The gate motif was copied by the Carolingians, and again, roughly a century and a half later, by the early Capetians.  Here's Charles the Bald (842-877), of Orleans (rev. '+AVRE [...] LI [...] ANIS,' from 6 o'clock):

image.jpeg.716a3db52143b5f71bb8bf06716b0b20.jpeg

And this is Hugh, son of Robert II (who he predeceased), as Count of Orleans.  The motif is continued by Capetian kings into the 12th century.

image.jpeg.8f17f8b17ab21e0cbe4a73151ef9c0b2.jpeg

image.jpeg.a7600e1418e12d4ed1cc83c87fa890e6.jpeg

So, Yeah, I'm a very happy camper.  I've said this before, too, but it's fun to imagine the kinds (and scale) of hoards people were digging up as early as this.  But it's also a  resonant reminder of how central the Roman ethos --granted, mainly by way of its later phases-- was to the medieval world.  That's effectively continuous, going all the way back to the original Germanic tribes having fallen all over themselves to appropriate as much Roman culture as they possibly could.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 4 months later...

If anyone is looking for one of these types, I posted them to the cabinet yesterday:

0OXNeEG.jpeg

Ub9rN1f.jpeg

In the coming days and weeks I'll be listing the remainder of my Roman tray (the nicest examples I held onto through past sell-offs) and continuing to refocus my collecting efforts on Greek and Roman provincial issues. They make up the bulk of my collection at this point. Parting with my Romans is bittersweet - the sweet part is that their sale will help fund my wedding in a couple of months 🙂

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Time to sell off some coins to make room for new ones. I've listed a number of new coins on eBay and reduced prices on the rest.

Here's one of the listings. To see the others just click "seller's other items":

Ancient Roman Coin, Domitian (AD 81-96), Rhino Quadrans, HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE! | eBay

If you are interested in purchasing any of the coins, you can let me know via a PM here on Numis Forums, and I will give you a 10% discount. I'll probably be listing more in the coming days so stay tuned! 🙂

Thanks, and I hope you find something you're looking for!

Edit to add: I don't ship internationally on eBay, but if you PM me here we can make arrangements.

Edited by CPK

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A new year brings new collecting goals - and this time, I'm actually making a real effort to drastically reduce my collection. 😬 I would like to focus more on quality this year of collecting which means all those worn Vespasian denarii have to find new homes. 😄

I have been listing/selling a lot on eBay the past couple months and have a bunch more yet to be listed. You can find all of my listings here:

connokaspa_0 on eBay

Feel free to purchase through eBay, or if you want to arrange something here through NumisForums, I will give you a discount.

ALSO, please feel free to make offers on anything you might be interested in! I really would like to move this stuff along, so I may be willing to negotiate lower than you might think. 😉

Thanks for your interest, and I hope you find something you're looking for!

Edited by CPK
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CPK said:

A new year brings new collecting goals - and this time, I'm actually making a real effort to drastically reduce my collection. 😬 I would like to focus more on quality this year of collecting which means all those worn Vespasian denarii have to find new homes. 😄

I have been listing/selling a lot on eBay the past couple months and have a bunch more yet to be listed. You can find all of my listings here:

connokaspa_0 on eBay

Feel free to purchase through eBay, or if you want to arrange something here through NumisForums, I will give you a discount.

ALSO, please feel free to make offers on anything you might be interested in! I really would like to move this stuff along, so I may be willing to negotiate lower than you might think. 😉

Thanks for your interest, and I hope you find something you're looking for!

Omg , thanks for the JC denarius deal. Did not know that was u..altho I knew the photography was familiar!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AETHER said:

Omg , thanks for the JC denarius deal. Did not know that was u..altho I knew the photography was familiar!

Wow, small world! Glad to see it going to a fellow Forum member! 👍

• Clap 1

Search for Republican denarii

I'm always looking for silver denarii from the Roman Republic era. I would be happy to receive your offers via forum message. Maybe send a picture and your price idea.

However, the condition for me is that the coin is at least “near extremely fine” or better. Please don't be angry if I reject a copy because I already own it or I don't really like it. But maybe you just want to sell a denarius and it would fit well into my collection.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see a link for The Cabinet anymore? So I'll post this and hopefully that is OK.

STARTING February 16th, 2024

I have consigned over 800 lots with jdmern also known as Boardwalk Numismatics on eBay for sale. This link will  have at least 100 new lots over the next couple/few months that are all from my collection.
They start at 9 PM EDT on Thursdays. They end 10 days later starting at 9 M EDT Sunday. Sometimes there will be as many as 200 lots up at a time.

Every lot starts at an opening bid of $1.99
There are always quite a few super deals for you when the hammer falls on Sunday nights. People get lucky and some get sniped. It is fun for me to watch as they end.

There are US type coins, silver, exonumia, ancients, and other numismatic treasures to be had. Please check out the link below. As long as there are items showing for sale, they are from my collection. This is my third large liquidation through consignment.

I don't have an eBay account. I have no control over these lots so I encourage you to direct all questions to the seller through eBay. I believe the seller combines shipping cost, but perhaps that would be something you want to be clear on.

LINK

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_ssn=jdmern&store_name=jdmern&_oac=1&store_cat=26438804010&_ipg=240&_sop=1

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, thenickelguy said:

I have consigned over 800 lots with jdmern also known as Boardwalk Numismatics on eBay for sale. This

He has over 8000 lots for sale and I didn't find a category for "ancient" coins. If you have ancient coins among them, they are well-hidden in the crowd. 

• Yes 1

4 hours ago, Valentinian said:

He has over 8000 lots for sale and I didn't find a category for "ancient" coins. If you have ancient coins among them, they are well-hidden in the crowd. 

Yes, I have to agree that it can be a bit troubling that my coins don't fall under specific categories for some reason  under sellers items. Where are they? I don't know, but they are found in the correct categories amidst their kind of all eBay items listed everywhere.

dayagory.jpg.9d4eaff7374eb912dd6b02d4585d702f.jpg

The link (n my first post a bit above here) is supplied to me from the seller to show only my list of items. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Edited by thenickelguy