Jump to content

Shipping fees/methods/speed


ambr0zie

Recommended Posts

I don’t pay enough attention to shipping details, but my feeling is that as long as all the terms and costs are clearly described up front for me to base my decisions on (i.e., factor into the cost of the coin), then it’s up to the seller what they want to charge.  I can either accept that, or walk away and shop somewhere else.  


(I do agree, however, that it is shady for a seller to charge a high price for a basic, slow service and not be transparent about it.)

Here is my most recent purchase, from Ritter via MA-Shops.

Shipped from Germany to USA for $21.40 USD.  As I recall, it was shipped via UPS.  It arrived quickly, within 2 or 3 days.  Regular post for $20+ would seem a bit high to me, but for 2-3 day transatlantic shipping it seems pretty reasonable.  (Whether the price I paid for the coin itself seems reasonable to you is an entirely different question.)

 

IMG_8181.png.bdc1824e18fecb44f15c05d19b29804b.pngIMG_8180.jpeg.7e42137c63609d2fbd3c97063ebd4a5a.jpeg

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Roman Collector said:

I purchased a coin from a Spanish auction (Tauler & Fau)

Same - but they have some very interesting coins for me. If you have only 1-2 coins, the cost horrible - i know. I have 8 coins, so for every coin under 10 Euro shipping, thats ok. But again - i know what you mean, win 1 or 2 coins makes it expensive.

 

35 minutes ago, Roman Collector said:

in EARLY JUNE!!! 

But that`s a problem of the spanish authorities. Tauler & Fau (same Jesus Vico and Aureo Calico) take the original legal way with legal spanish documents - and that will be need 6-8 weeks. Thats real.

I know, some other spanish dealers / auctionhouses shipp faster - but not with the original spanish paper. I know one spanish auction house, they put litte "official" exoport documents (postcard size) in their shipping - but this documents are fantasy self printed "documents".

So yes... 6-8 weeks sucks - but on the other side you get original legal export documents from the spanish authorities.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, lordmarcovan said:

I don’t pay enough attention to shipping details

That's my problem - i think everytime, the companys will take normal costs - and then i am surprised, when a company will take more than the real costs are 😄 

 

10 minutes ago, lordmarcovan said:

Shipped from Germany to USA for $21.40 USD.  As I recall, it was shipped via UPS.  It arrived quickly, within 2 or 3 days.  Regular post for $20+ would seem a bit high to me, but for 2-3 day transatlantic shipping it seems pretty reasonable.  (Whether the price I paid for the coin itself was reasonable is another question.)

And Ritter do well - that's a fine price with UPS. As a German dealer too, i can say, that UPS cost from Germany to USA 21-25 Euro. So Ritter will take the real costs - and nothing else. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

I don’t pay enough attention to shipping details, but my feeling is that as long as all the terms and costs are clearly described up front for me to base my decisions on (i.e., factor into the cost of the coin), then it’s up to the seller what they want to charge.  I can either accept that, or walk away and shop somewhere else.  


(I do agree, however, that it is shady for a seller to charge a high price for a basic, slow service and not be transparent about it.)

Here is my most recent purchase, from Ritter via MA-Shops.

Shipped from Germany to USA for $21.40 USD.  As I recall, it was shipped via UPS.  It arrived quickly, within 2 or 3 days.  Regular post for $20+ would seem a bit high to me, but for 2-3 day transatlantic shipping it seems pretty reasonable.  (Whether the price I paid for the coin itself seems reasonable to you is an entirely different question.)

 

IMG_8181.png.bdc1824e18fecb44f15c05d19b29804b.pngIMG_8180.jpeg.7e42137c63609d2fbd3c97063ebd4a5a.jpeg

I also think that's top value for the money.

  • Like 1
  • Yes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed.  Savoca also has fairly cheap Fedex shipping to the U.S.

If I'm ordering anything fragile, I've been having to go the DHL Express way from a certain UK dealer, about double the cost, to avoid the horrors of the floppy mailer.  Expensive, but the stiff envelope negates the drawbacks of the floppy mailer.  Through a combination of shipping cost and partly just for the principle of it, I've cut way back on buying from them.  Which is a shame, since there's many lovely coins.  Oh, and add a phone number (doesn't have to be a valid one) if you choose DHL from them. They don't tell you upfront, but allegedly their DHL carrier requires a phone #, the only time I've had this happen.

If possible, I usually choose the postal route from most European dealers.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Today i am little shocked too... 😉 

Make a biddr checkout from a yesterday auction.

 

image.png.472d77efa0781a3312c056365b1e0376.png

 

From EU Belgium to EU Germany - 15 Euro for a registered letter? I know registered letter will cost around 8 Euro. Thats a nice winning. 

But 30 Euro for a registered letter with insurance. I know the insurance prices of the market - let me calculate, 8 Euro for the letter and 22 Euro for the insurance of a 500 Euro coin? Normally 99% of the Insurance company`s will take 1% fee of the invoice amount. For a 500 Euro coin = 5 Euro insurance fees. Nice winning.

50 Euro FedEx include insurance. Same. 

Some companies seem to have found a second way to make money. Don't get me wrong - I'm a salesman myself. But if you have earned money from the goods and again from the sales fees. Ok - I understand. But if you now want to earn money from the goods, the sales fees and the shipping. I don't think that's good.

What company is it? It will go on my blacklist. 

I always try to find shopping costs in the terms of a seller. Its very annoying if its not clearly mentioned. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

A new "Star" for shipping costs was born 🙂 

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/zeusnumismatics/

Bildschirmfoto2024-06-10um09_52_36.png.76e27e8889728a35fe6c7133fde79340.png

 

Ordinary Post from NL to outside NL cost around 5,90 Euro - so the 8,00 Euro was ok.

Registered Shipping with tracking cost from 5,90 Euro to 10,00 Euro (depending on the size), so the 18 euros is just about bearable, but for a small item like a coin, 13 euros is a good profit on the dispatch.

 

Up to this point everything has been just about ok, but now it's getting outrageous in my opinion.

 

Insured Cargo Post NL 45 Euro! I have checked the prices from https://www.postnl.nl/nl - and a middle size parcel cost 10,00 Euro from NL to outside NL plus 5,00 Euro insurance (up to 500 Euro). If you take a big parcel (100x50x50) it was 12 Euro plus 5 Euro insurance. So the price include tracking and insurance with PostNL was from 15-17 Euro! And Zeus will take 45 Euro - a profit of 30 Euro - "respect"! 

Same with DHL EXPRESS prices.

DHL EXPRESS inside EU cost around 20 Euro inclusive 500 Euro insurance - he wants 55 Euro, a profit around 30 Euro.

DHL EXPRESS - for example - to USA inclusive 500 Euro insurance - he wants 65 Euro - costs around 30 Euro - same profit.

The "best" was the "over 500 Euro insurance" prices - 95 Euro he wants outside EU. 

I make an example.
- I send around 30 Euro to USA
- If I send a 2000 Euro coin, the normal insurance price was 1% of the value = 20 Euro
- So the total was around 50 Euro, if it was a 2.000 Euro value parcel. 

If you win a 600 Euro coin / item at his auction - the real shipping costs are 35-40 Euro und you must pay 95 Euro!

 

The highest Shipping prices I have seen actually with Leu Switzerland, when they will send with FedEx (75 CHF). But thats Switzerland - and I know the Shipping cost from Switzerland starts at FedEx around 50-60 Euro - and the the insurance will be added, so the 75 CHF are high, but near really prices you must pay in Switzerland.

 

But this Auctionhouse Zeus will top all other dealers - around 30 Euro or more winning with shipping options - 95 Euro outside EU... thats "funny".

It's starting to piss me off that smaller auction houses in particular are increasingly abusing shipping costs as a lucrative source of income. 

 

@SimonW

I know, biddr is not responsible for the seller's terms! I also don't know what influence biddr has on the sellers. But I don't think it reflects well on the biddr platform if more and more (small) auction houses charge such prices for shipping. We're not talking about ‘expensive shipping’ here Simon - I think that's already heading in the direction of disproportionate exorbitant prices. These shipping costs can't be explained in real terms - and I think that's a problem.

 

 

Edited by Prieure de Sion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

@SimonW

I know, biddr is not responsible for the seller's terms! I also don't know what influence biddr has on the sellers. But I don't think it reflects well on the biddr platform if more and more (small) auction houses charge such prices for shipping. We're not talking about ‘expensive shipping’ here Simon - I think that's already heading in the direction of disproportionate exorbitant prices. These shipping costs can't be explained in real terms - and I think that's a problem.

I understand that you are not overly excited about shipping charges that seem excessive. I myself just paid 70 USD to Heritag for a 180 USD coin. That hurts.

But not only are we not responsible for commissions, shipping fees, and the like, we simply have no influence on them. As long as the shipping costs are listed in the auction terms where everyone can find them, there's nothing we can do about it.

For what it's worth, I don't think they deliberately charge high fees to make a profit. High shipping fees usually result in lower hammer prices, which probably costs them more than what they would make by overcharging shipping fees.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SimonW said:

But not only are we not responsible for commissions, shipping fees, and the like, we simply have no influence on them. As long as the shipping costs are listed in the auction terms where everyone can find them, there's nothing we can do about it.

That is also logical. As long as the seller states everything in the terms, it is of course completely legitimate. In the end, I think the market will sort it out. 

25 minutes ago, SimonW said:

For what it's worth, I don't think they deliberately charge high fees to make a profit. High shipping fees usually result in lower hammer prices, which probably costs them more than what they would make by overcharging shipping fees.

Your argument sounds logical. In the end, you only harm yourself. 

But I really don't understand - as example - why he charges 45 euros for a normal NL Post parcel? I looked it up on the NL Post website. It only costs 10 euros for a medium-sized parcel (up to 60 cm) plus 5 euros insurance. I really don't understand how he gets from a total of 15 euros to 45 euros - not even if you include all the additional costs for shipping.

I think I'll write to him and ask where the 30 euro difference comes from 🙂 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's obviously done to make sure they don't have hundreds of individual EUR20 coins to pack and ship. People bid on more to spread the cost, and their admin goes down.

How Heritage can justify their shipping charges when they don't sell cheap coins is another matter. Good luck finding their charges in the terms. They have 'calculator' that works out shipping for individual items within the US - no help to anyone.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, SimonW said:

High shipping fees usually result in lower hammer prices, which probably costs them more than what they would make by overcharging shipping fees.

Yes and no. There are bidders who do not check the auction terms (yes, I know this should be mandatory for any bidder). And the worst part is when you bought from a house a few times in the past so you simply don't check the terms again ... and when you are invoiced you see the surprise, as the house changed the T&C. 

I did this in the weekend - but that particular house did NOT change anything. This is a plus for me and I will keep buying from that house. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

Yes and no. There are bidders who do not check the auction terms (yes, I know this should be mandatory for any bidder).

True, but I suspect that this will not happen repeatedly to the same bidder at the same auction house (at least, the second time you can't say it was by surprise). On the contrary, I would say that those bidders may ignore future auctions from that seller out of frustration, which - again - will lead to lower hammers and cost them more than overcharging shipping once.

Edited by SimonW
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

didn't want to make my own post about a specific AH. Bertolami Fine Art has a coin auction next week. They mention DHL shipment, but dont list pricing. Does anyone happen to know the DHL shipping cost to the US? there's maybe 2-3 less expensive coins i'd like to buy, but dont want to find out its going to be 50 euro shipping, for a 50 euro coin...

I've emailed them twice, nothing back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ela126 said:

didn't want to make my own post about a specific AH. Bertolami Fine Art has a coin auction next week. They mention DHL shipment, but dont list pricing. Does anyone happen to know the DHL shipping cost to the US? there's maybe 2-3 less expensive coins i'd like to buy, but dont want to find out its going to be 50 euro shipping, for a 50 euro coin...

I've emailed them twice, nothing back.

It could easily be EUR50 because DHL only ship with 3 day delivery. The least from the UK to the US is about EUR40. The only way it will be cheaper is if you don't use DHL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

It could easily be EUR50 because DHL only ship with 3 day delivery. The least from the UK to the US is about EUR40. The only way it will be cheaper is if you don't use DHL.

fair, i did just realize this is the Prague office holding the auction. Not sure if that helps.

My concern is since they usually deal with art and antiques, i could see them not being concerned with specific 2 figure shipping costs, as i expect they are usually quite pricey for some of the stuff they sell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...