Who is going to NYINC 2024?

savitale

Bourse is open January 11-14, though the auction lot viewing starts almost a week before. Anyone else going or thinking about going? I really want to and I keep hoping Amtrak fares will come down at some point. Last year I went on Thursday. I'm on the fence about whether it is worth it to spend an extra $100 admission to attend on opening day. Additions to my Roman collection are getting harder to come by so it is very possible I will leave empty handed which makes the extra $100 a bit more annoying. 

Edited by savitale
  • Like 4

• Benefactor
3 minutes ago, savitale said:

Bourse is open January 11-14, though the auction lot viewing starts almost a week before. Anyone else going or thinking about going? I really want and I keep hoping Amtrak fares will come down at some point. Last year I went on Thursday. I'm on the fence about whether it is worth it to spend an extra $100 admission to attend on opening day. Additions to my Roman collection are getting harder to come by so it is very possible I will leave empty handed which makes the extra $100 a bit more annoying. 

I went on the Thursday last year, and am not sure it was worth the extra $100. I'm sure a lot of the high-end rarities get snapped up on that day, but they're well out of my price range anyway. And I tend to spend too long at individual tables to be the kind of person who'd be successful running around looking at every table and immediately recognizing fantastic bargains. If I go on the Friday instead, it'll cost me only $25, and I'm sure there will be plenty of great coins still available.

• Like 4

I would like to visit one of the coin conventions in 2024 but it probably won’t be till later in the year. To be honest, if I were going to a convention in January I would probably choose the FUN show because Orlando sounds much more agreeable, weather-wise in the winter.

Has anyone been here been to both? Is the ancient representation that much better at NYINC? 

• Like 1

• Benefactor

@Curtisimo, I don't know anything about FUN and can't imagine going to Florida for any reason, but here's a link to the list of dealers at NYINC next month. I'm sure you'll recognize a lot of them: https://nyinc.info/dealers/ . The only ancients dealer who's usually there but won't be this time is Roma, for obvious reasons!

As for the weather, it's now been 680 days since the last snowfall of at least an inch in New York City, and it hasn't been particularly cold yet either. Besides, the convention is held indoors!

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1
  • Big Smile 1
  • Shock 1

16 minutes ago, Curtisimo said:

I would like to visit one of the coin conventions in 2024 but it probably won’t be till later in the year. To be honest, if I were going to a convention in January I would probably choose the FUN show because Orlando sounds much more agreeable, weather-wise in the winter.

Has anyone been here been to both? Is the ancient representation that much better at NYINC? 

I have been to both. Ancients are much better represented at NYINC. If you are going only for ancients I think you will be disappointed at FUN. But if you like US and World coins as well, winter FUN is a great show. Summer ANA is a middle ground, more ancients than FUN but still probably not as much as NYINC. In terms of total number of tables, NYINC is tiny compared to those other two though. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

@Curtisimo, I don't know anything about FUN and can't imagine going to Florida for any reason, but here's a link to the list of dealers at NYINC next month. I'm sure you'll recognize a lot of them: https://nyinc.info/dealers/ . The only ancients dealer who's usually there but won't be this time is Roma, for obvious reasons!

As for the weather, it's now been 680 days since the last snowfall of at least an inch in New York City, and it hasn't been particularly cold yet either. Besides, the convention is held indoors!

Indeed! Good to hear the winter has been mild for you all up there. I knew that the convention was indoors but when I travel I like to explore around a bit and experience the area. NY would be a nice spring or fall destination. I’ve only ever been to NYC for very brief visits and have never had a chance to visit the MET or some of the other famous places. It looks like it will be a good show. If you go you’ll have to let us know how it goes.

As to Orlando, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. I will be there again in February to give an engineering lecture and I’ve always found it to be nice; great weather, lots of stuff to do, the beaches are beautiful and the people are friendly.

36 minutes ago, savitale said:

I have been to both. Ancients are much better represented at NYINC. If you are going only for ancients I think you will be disappointed at FUN. But if you like US and World coins as well, winter FUN is a great show. Summer ANA is a middle ground, more ancients than FUN but still probably not as much as NYINC. In terms of total number of tables, NYINC is tiny compared to those other two though. 

Yes, I thought about the Summer ANA. Good to know that it is pretty good for ancient representation. Thanks for the info! Let us know how NYINC goes for you.

• Like 1

FUN is... well... fun, though I would imagine the selection of ancients may be greater at NYINC.  I have never been to the latter.  My traveling range is pretty much limited to the Southeast (Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas).  So FUN is usually the show I would attend, though I'm not going this year.

As to Orlando, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. I will be there again in February to give an engineering lecture and I’ve always found it to be nice; great weather, lots of stuff to do, the beaches are beautiful and the people are friendly.

Beaches?  What beaches?  Orlando is inland!  I guess there are lakes around, though.  Agreed that it is a pleasant destination in the winter.  Traffic can be bad at times.

Edited by lordmarcovan

• Benefactor

I’ll arrive Wednesday night. I’ll do the preview on Thursday, then hang around until Sunday morning. I did attend the preview last year and found a coin that I had wanted for many years so I found it worth the extra money. It was also somewhat less crowded. Hope to see a lot of friends there!

• Like 1

• Benefactor
10 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

Yes, I thought about the Summer ANA. Good to know that it is pretty good for ancient representation. Thanks for the info! Let us know how NYINC goes for you.

I've actually been to Florida a number of times, beginning when I was a child in 1964. Just not since the 1980s, and never north of Fort Lauderdale. But I have no plans to return anytime soon. I'm no longer a fan of broiling in the sun, on a beach or elsewhere! Not like I was 40 years ago.  And without getting too political, I'm not a fan of the current regime there.

7 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

Beaches?  What beaches?  Orlando is inland!  I guess there are lakes around, though.  Agreed that it is a pleasant destination in the winter.  Traffic can be bad at times.

I meant in the general area. I have friends that live east of the city closer to the ocean so when I visit I always find myself out there. Very pleasant.

I grew up in North Texas… now that is inland! By comparison the beach is practically at Orlando’s front door.

• Like 1

I will be there again this year, for the bourse on Friday and Saturday as well as the Saturday ONS presentation that Ed capably facilitates. (Also I am going to see Spamalot on Friday, my wife deserves that and more for coming with me.)  I had enormous fun when attending NYINC last year, which was my first major show.

Will be placing a bunch of stuff with several auction houses and dealer-sellers as part of my ongoing “thin the herd but upgrade the quality” project.  I hope to find a couple of higher end (for me) additions.  

• Like 1

• Benefactor
57 minutes ago, jdmKY said:

Hope to see a lot of friends there!

I hope to see other members there as well. For obvious reasons I tend to be easier to pick out from the crowd than most of our members, so I hope anyone who recognizes me while I'm there says hello. Absent some sort of "Numisforums" button (like the "Coin Talk" buttons someone used to make), there are very few members I'd recognize myself. Several Coin Talk members said hi to me at the 2022 NYINC, but in 2023 -- the one year I attended the Thursday preview -- the only fellow member here whom I knew and spoke to (or who spoke to me) was @Phil Davis at the HJB table. Not counting several dealers who aren't members here, but whom I'd met enough times previously that they recognized me.

• Like 1

I'll be there Friday and Saturday.  This will be my third NYINC and it is the best show for attendance by ancient coin dealers of any that I've attended.  The ANA is pretty well attended but it doesn't hold a candle to the NYINC.  There is lots to do in NYC and were I to bring my wife, we would do Broadway theater in the evenings, but she's not coming this year and it's just not the same on my own without her.  The restaurant scene is another reason that the City is a fun place to go, (although very expensive),  and I'm already planning the venues where I'd like to have dinner.   I Plan to visit with some of my old numismatic friends and hope to meet up with new ones and some who I've only known virtually through email, Numisforums, and Coin Talk.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

I'll probably go, it's (now) my home town, after all.  My first time was probably around  1999, back when it was held in the World Trade Center. Seems so long ago. Haven't been for a few years, what with covid and being away on travels. 

Edited by rNumis

• Benefactor
34 minutes ago, rNumis said:

I'll probably go, it's (now) my home town, after all.  My first time was probably around  1999, back when it was held in the World Trade Center. Seems so long ago. Haven't been for a few years, covid and travel schedules didn't line up. 

I went a couple of times myself when it was held in the World Trade Center. That seems like a lifetime ago at this point.

• Yes 2

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like I will be there on Friday. Hopefully some nice Roman imperial coins will still be there Friday, but I'm not expecting to find much really since almost everything is online nowadays. Last year several dealers published a fresh list of material on opening day but I haven't seen any announcements to that effect this year. So it may just turn out to be a fun and educational opportunity. Feel free to send a message if you would like to meet up somehow.

On 12/28/2023 at 4:28 AM, DonnaML said:

I went on the Thursday last year, and am not sure it was worth the extra $100. I'm sure a lot of the high-end rarities get snapped up on that day, but they're well out of my price range anyway. And I tend to spend too long at individual tables to be the kind of person who'd be successful running around looking at every table and immediately recognizing fantastic bargains. If I go on the Friday instead, it'll cost me only $25, and I'm sure there will be plenty of great coins still available.

I agree. For what I collect, all the coins I was tempted to buy on day one but passed were still available come Sunday.

Sadly I wont be making it NYINC this year as I have an exam the following Monday in Austria so a trip wouldn’t be practical. I should be at the ANA worlds fair of money in August though, life permitting.

• Like 1

I am going - finally booked last Friday.   It will be a short trip as I only get to Newark on Friday afternoon and fly back on Sunday afternoon - 49.5 hours in New York.

I may be too late to get to the bourse on Friday, but will make it on Saturday and Sunday morning - I don't have anything in mind to get, but I'm sure something will grab me.   Maybe the new RIC V.4 (I see Leu have it at a 20% discount at the moment), so if I get it at a bargain price at the show will pick it up there.

Other than that, meeting some people on Saturday for lunch and will make it to Juliana's for pizza one night and Strand to browse for books and walk around a lot.

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
4 minutes ago, rNumis said:

Buy the pass online before Friday and it's $20 (save $5) and your pass will be waiting at checkin

I did that the other day. I used the same photo I use for my avatar here. It's actually my German passport photo from 4 or 5 years ago. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor

This may be a stupid question, but I've always wondered whether there's any good reason to stop at the tables of any of the major auction houses that attend NYINC every year. (The only one not present this year is Roma, for obvious reasons.) Except for the few like CNG that also have fixed price lists (Leu and Nomos both came out with FPLs the day before NYINC began last year, but I've seen no signs of them this year), none seems to have coins out for sale.  I suppose it might be worthwhile to stop by if you want to say hello or discuss upcoming auctions or have coins to consign, but otherwise, why bother? 

• Thinking 1