Well, drat. I don't think this is the Caligula As for me.

lordmarcovan

Just received this from Germany.  The rim nick is accurately described in the auction, but I originally viewed it in the original German (which I don't speak), and overlooked it in the photos until too late.  Too bad- the coin is otherwise decent, but the rim damage is pretty evident.  I should have looked more carefully (and translated the description) before bidding.  I have inquired about a return.  If they don't accept returns, I suppose I will just have to sell it at a loss.  Lesson learned.

It's not a bad example, aside from the rim hit.

https://auktion.rhenumis.de/en-us/auctions/lots/33459

Caligula.png

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 3

4 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

I've done that a few times. The spectacular portrait distracts you long enough that you don't analyse the coin until you have to pay for it.

Exactly what happened here.  And I do think €360 would have been a good price, if not for the rim hit.  My question is, is that "about right" for the coin as-is?  The rim cut is just noticeable enough for it to be the kiss of death for my personal collection, but someone else might not mind it so much.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lordmarcovan said:

Just received this from Germany.  The rim nick is accurately described in the auction, but I originally viewed it in the original German (which I don't speak), and overlooked it in the photos until too late.  Too bad- the coin is otherwise decent, but the rim damage is pretty evident.  I should have looked more carefully (and translated the description) before bidding.  I have inquired about a return.  If they don't accept returns, I suppose I will just have to sell it at a loss.  Lesson learned.

Caligula.png

Its a nice coin with a great portrait, I must say the rim issue doesnt look that horrible in the photo. I can see why you did not see the gravity of it. And in hand issues can be not that bad in comparison to a photo, or the other way around and even be worse. Too bad... Also on the reverse, there appears to be a small corrosion spot. Below the C, at the edge. Is it active? You might put that forward to the auctioneer too. 

But hey, on the positive side, you got the coin already! Mine are still stuck in German postal purgatory.... 

• Like 4

Gee whiz!  I like it!  A nick like this doesn't bother me at all.  But then I'm a coin-slob...

Does it matter that it is mis-attributed?  It was sold as RIC 38 (136 specimens in OCRE).  But the legends on yours match RIC 54 (18 specimens) - meaning yours is rarer?  There is also RIC 47 (8 specimens) that seems identical to RIC 54, but OCRE often baffles me this way.  So, again, I think yours might be far scarcer than the as sold attribution? 

RIC 38:  C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT

RIC 54:  C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG P M TR P IIII P P

http://numismatics.org/ocre/results?q=deity_facet%3A"Vesta"+AND+portrait_facet%3A"Gaius%2FCaligula"

• Like 6

• Benefactor

I think what you paid is actually a reasonable price even taking the rim nick into account, considering how nice your coin is apart from the nick (other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?), the fact that I paid about $300 for my substantially more mediocre example a few years ago, and the prices that Caligula's Vesta bronzes are currently selling for at retail. See my post from a few minutes ago at  https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5480-caligula-a-rare-denarius-with-germanicus-and-a-fantastic-provenance/#comment-71071 .

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 2

@lordmarcovan, I agree with Donna. IMO that is a great coin with an excellent provenance. I know you’re probably concerned about getting it graded, but with a nice coin from an old collection like this I would consider leaving it raw and keeping it.

My new Caligula has its flaws as well but it is one of my favorite coins of the year.

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 7

• Benefactor
6 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

Caligula.png

That's a really nice example.  I understand your disappointment with the edge nick, but for me that isn't a major factor.  This coin is ancient, hammer struck, thousands of years old and not a modern coin, where nicks and bumps are much more of a factor.  As mentioned the portrait is wonderful, the legends are full and the reverse is very nice.

Ancient coins and hammered modern coins, such as cobs, have a nature about them that makes the results of circulation, including surface deposits, surface marks, edge nicks, etc. a secondary consideration, at best.

I think you have a keeper!

• Like 3
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

Given the shape of the nick, I wonder if it might actually be a flan flaw such as a bubble?  Judging from the photos the inner surface of the depression seems very even, bubble-like in shape.  I would expect to see more of a point-of-impact in the center, spreading outwards.  Now it is possible that a blunt, round tool might have been used that would create this effect.

This is just speculation on my part. A wonderful coin in my view.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robinjojo said:

Given the shape of the nick, I wonder if it might actually be a flan flaw such as a bubble?  Judging from the photos the inner surface of the depression seems very even, bubble-like in shape.  I would expect to see more of a point-of-impact in the center, spreading outwards.  Now it is possible that a blunt, round tool might have been used that would create this effect.

This is just speculation on my part. A wonderful coin in my view.

No, it's definitely a cut-like heavy hit, I'm afraid.  It doesn't affect the reverse rim, but you can see it in the obverse pic (and in my hasty cellphone closeup).  If it were a lesser nick, I'd live with it, but it's heavy enough for me to (regretfully) decide that this particular coin isn't quite for me.  Otherwise I'd have happily decided to keep it.

I don't know as much as most of you when it comes to ancients- and the auction house's apparent misattribution was news to me (albeit interesting and possibly good news).  I don't have the scholarly tendency and I'm not good at attributions, for example.  But the one thing I do feel confident about with ancients is that I like to believe I've got a pretty good eye for quality, if nothing else.  So I do try to be selective.  Sure, with ancients, some things can be forgiven (my Justinian tremissis has a wrinkled flan, for instance), but I know something like this particular issue would continue to bug me.

• Like 1

To console you. I didn't realize my Caligula had surface issues when buying it. It is still my favorite coin in my ancient coin collection because of the strong VF/XF details and portrait. A nice portrait of Caligula is hard to get so if the nick wasn't there on your coin it would be like a $600-$700 coin in that shape.

39894AAB-027E-4C00-9D53-ADC58E67A617.jpeg

FC15E512-08F0-4075-82B3-B72DE3062837.jpeg

8210144C-6131-46D7-8324-169FEAFB9766.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Marsyas Mike said:

And in any case, you call that a nick?  Now here's a nick for ya - I bought this on eBay because I really loved the overall appearance.  The giant obverse gash appears to be ancient, as it is toned/patinated along with the rest of the coin.  

image.jpeg.584a83c0c60b346cb631d7ca164d2e81.jpeg

Almost looks like a damnatio!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1