Disappointed with Forvm Ancient Coins Member's Gallery. Any recommended alternatives?

CPK

I'm sure it's been talked about before, but I'm looking to create my own collection gallery online somewhere.

I recently started using Forum Ancient Coin's Member's Gallery, but just found out that they don't allow you to change the photos?? That is a huge turn-off for me, because I like experimenting with different presentations and taking new photos. It kind of blows my mind really that there isn't that capability on the site in 2023.

So, I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good easy-to-use online gallery where I could upload and display my coin collection photos, with lengthy written descriptions, just like FORVM's Member's Gallery. Preferably free, although I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a paid service.

Thanks!

Edited by CPK
  • Like 1

• CPK changed the title to Disappointed with Forvm Ancient Coins Member's Gallery. Any recommended alternatives?

Yeah I just hate deleting the file altogether and creating a new one to just change the picture. But you know what's worse? the admin kicking me out without any notice and reasons, and no reply for my emails. I would've gone to a different gallery, but I didn't see a better alternative so I made a new account. I still catalogue my coins there till I find a new place, until then I hope they don't deregister me again! 

I wish Numisforums has the option of personal galleries?! @Restitutor

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, JayAg47 said:

Yeah I just hate deleting the file altogether and creating a new one to just change the picture. But you know what's worse? the admin kicking me out without any notice and reasons, and no replay for my emails. I would've gone to a different gallery, but I didn't see a better alternative so I made a new account. I still catalogue my coins there till I find a new place, until then I hope they don't deregister me again! 

I tried deleting the file completely and starting over...including uploading the new photo instead of the old one. But somehow it still used the old photo! I could not find a way to get it to switch. Maybe if I changed the title or file name it would do it, but come on. I don't want to have to do that every time I want to upgrade a photo!

A Numisforums personal gallery? Sign me up! How about it, @Restitutor 😉 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phil Anthos said:

I just c&p my info into the new file and delete the old. Never had a problem, even using the same file in different galleries. Oh well.

But a gallery here would be great!

~ Peter 

That's weird. I wonder why I'm having issues with it?

I looked up then on the Member's Gallery FAQ thread and learned that the software doesn't support changing the photos.

I might try again though, and see what can be done. I'd prefer if I could keep using the site!

3 minutes ago, Phil Anthos said:

Well yes, you do create a new file and then delete the old one. Also the the address in the file description is your coin, not the address in the browser. That will change every time someone else adds a coin.

~ Peter 

So you need to create the new listing first, and then delete the old? I was doing it the other way around.

What do you mean exactly about the address in the file description?

1 hour ago, CPK said:

I recently started using Forum Ancient Coin's Member's Gallery, but just found out that they don't allow you to change the photos?? That is a huge turn-off for me, because I like experimenting with different presentations and taking new photos. It kind of blows my mind really that there isn't that capability on the site in 2023.

That upset me too, so I gave up putting my coins in there.

You publish a beautiful coin with a great description and members comment on the coin and maybe even post useful comments about it.

If I want to change the image now - I have to delete the old database file and create the coin with the new image as a new data record. The first problem with this is that a new data record always appears under the new items. In other words, every change means a new publication of the coin. 

But what is even worse - all comments - even the useful ones - are gone with the new data set! This is extremely annoying. 

23 minutes ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

Try CollecOnline. I use the free version, and you can even create pdf of your coins collection. 

https://www.colleconline.com/fr/collections/9098/ocatarinetabellatchitchix

If you don't have your own homepage / Wordpress site, I think this is the best online solution!

You can customise a lot yourself, create albums and distribute your coins there. You can define your own fields. You can customise the description yourself. And you can edit everything at any time without losing the actual data record.

Very useful even in the free version. 

And you can also contact the administrators if you have any requests or suggestions for improvement. My suggestions have always been implemented - the administrators are very committed.

In my opinion - if you like CollecOnline after a while - you can also invest around 5 euros / month. I think the operators have earned their money. They do a really good job.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, CPK said:

So you need to create the new listing first, and then delete the old? I was doing it the other way around.

What do you mean exactly about the address in the file description?

When people want to post a link from their gallery to the forum they would often open the intended file and copy the link from their browser, which doesn't necessarily take you to your coin. Instead use the link found in the file description itself, by where you see the file name, date entered, etc.

I'm the Gallery moderator over there so I really should know this stuff better than I do. I'm just roadkill on the Information Superhighway I'mafraid. 

~ Peter 

• Smile 2

12 minutes ago, Phil Anthos said:

When people want to post a link from their gallery to the forum they would often open the intended file and copy the link from their browser, which doesn't necessarily take you to your coin. Instead use the link found in the file description itself, by where you see the file name, date entered, etc.

I'm the Gallery moderator over there so I really should know this stuff better than I do. I'm just roadkill on the Information Superhighway I'mafraid. 

~ Peter 

Ah got it.

I just tried again, deleted the old one completely and posted up the new one. Strangely, I noticed that the thumbnail image used the new photo, but when you clicked on the thumbnail, the entry showed the old photo.

I'm afraid I don't know what to make of it. Has Forum looked into adding the capability of editing the photo image? I like how you can edit the text quickly and easily. I don't see why the photo should be any different.

14 minutes ago, CPK said:

I like how you can edit the text quickly and easily. I don't see why the photo should be any different.

As a former database programmer, here's what I think (I don't know, of course, since I didn't program the forum DB - so it's just a guess on my part).

Each record in your coin database has a unique ID. 

Behind this key column are any "columns" - i.e. entries for each data record. Normally, unique things such as invoice number, customer number etc. are used in databases.

KD1001 - Meier - Peter - New York
KD1002 - Meier - Angelika - San Francisco
KD1003 - Schulz - Petra - New York

You can now open data record KD1003 at any time and change the city as an example (because the customer has moved).

But you can't just change the value in the key column (the unique ID)! If I change the value in the key column, a new value is generated in most databases - never the old value! In other words, I can't take the KD1003, change it and then save it again with the same ID.

So what does this all have to do with the pictures? The way I see it - an ID is generated from your image. In other words, the image automatically gets an ID. The image is the ID for the key column! And that's why you won't be able to easily change the image - because the image is not just an image, but also the unique ID for the individual data record!

It would be different if every new coin there was a new data record with a continuous ID (Coin1, Coin2, Coin3, Coin4...) and the image was just a content of the data record (like the other information that you change without having to completely recreate the data set).

But as I said - it looks like the actual image is the ID. And then this inevitably means that changes to the image require a new data set...

• Like 2

@JayAg47, I like your suggestion of individual galleries here.  I was playing with the Gallery feature here just a few days ago, and posted 4 trays of coins more or less as an experiment.  I wasn’t sure if there were a way to develop a gallery of one’s own, but it seems that capability does not exist. The Gallery feature seems underutilized.  

I am not knowledgeable about the costs of hosting information, but a modest charge to host a gallery of one’s own collection would be reasonable in my opinion.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Atherton said:

I love Forvm's galleries and have had mine up since 2004!

However, I totally agree that not being able to change the picture is frustrating!! It's the gallery's one major drawback. I just learned to accept it. :classic_mellow:

Maybe I just need to do the same...🤷‍♂️

On 11/4/2023 at 6:59 PM, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

Try CollecOnline. I use the free version, and you can even create pdf of your coins collection. 

https://www.colleconline.com/fr/collections/9098/ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Excellent call out! I've recently begun using this excellent resource and the PDFs are Dope!

https://www.colleconline.com/en/collection-items/20002/ancient-to-greek-macedonian-shield-coins

• Like 1
  • Yes 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 11/4/2023 at 8:20 PM, JayAg47 said:

Yeah I just hate deleting the file altogether and creating a new one to just change the picture. But you know what's worse? the admin kicking me out without any notice and reasons, and no reply for my emails. I would've gone to a different gallery, but I didn't see a better alternative so I made a new account. I still catalogue my coins there till I find a new place, until then I hope they don't deregister me again! 

Will look into this 😃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Popcorn 1

• Benefactor

I have had a forum gallery since the early years, it is actually the 26th gallery created there. I stopped updating it in 2006 and created a new one a few years later. The old gallery I find interesting because it shows how far my collection has come, it also had comments from members we had lost that I did not have the heart to delete. Last night when double checking for more examples of a coin I was writing on, the old gallery reminded me I had one I had not found. ( I found it.)

As for a new online venue, I don't know. 

If one is created, I suggest a few mandatory items be added, some of these were things lacking in both Forum and Labrum (Byzantine catalog). Catalog number, size, weight, and a search capability.  That is one of the frustrating things on Forum, not being able to find other examples of that type because it is not in the searchable data. 

• Like 3
  • Yes 1

I use Tantalus - it's far from perfect and has bugs, but I've used it for a long time.

Tantalus

I'd like:

1. Better catalogue entries and ability to sort by catalogue entry (though you can make galleries and arrange coins, so that is possible to some extent)
  2. Better search
  3. Longer fields for the like of "Moneyer", as right now it doesn't crop names when they're too long - instead, the entry fails and you've got to enter the coin again
  4. Fix the Export feature!

And that's about it - Ras has included most or all the fields of use.

There are forums there, but the last post was in 2017...

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 1
  • Cool Think 1