Disappointed with Forvm Ancient Coins Member's Gallery. Any recommended alternatives?

CPK

6 hours ago, Simon said:

That is one of the frustrating things on Forum, not being able to find other examples of that type because it is not in the searchable data.

Forvm's galleries are only as good as the info and attributions the member's add to it. Unfortunately it is far from consistent! Even entry titles are all over the map.

36 minutes ago, David Atherton said:

Forvm's galleries are only as good as the info and attributions the member's add to it. Unfortunately it is far from consistent! Even entry titles are all over the map.

And therein lies the problem, imo. All the technical issues with Coppermine are miniscule to me when I consider that it's a free resource sponsored by Joe who encourages entries, the more the better. In this way the Forvm galleries could become a valuable resource, as David's collection obviously has become, and I've been trying to encourage that for years now. But like a chain the resource is only as valuable as the entries, and inconsistencies, bad c&p attributions and general apathy has made it too inconsistent to be relied upon. 

But what to do? It is a free site and everyone has the right to build their gallery as they will, the numismatic community not withstanding. So would this change with a new communal open gallery? Maybe, maybe not. But I'd still participate. 😉

~ Peter 

• Like 3

I can also recommend Colleconline. It is very flexible and I like the fact that you can keep some collections private. I use the free version and I‘m very happy with it.

https://www.colleconline.com/de/collections/2281/tejas552

I‘m still working on cataloging my collection and many entries are still rudimentary. I keep my core collection of certain migration age coins private.

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 2
  • Yes 2

4 minutes ago, Tejas said:

I can also recommend Colleconline. It is very flexible and I like the fact that you can keep some collections private. I use the free version and I‘m very happy with it.

https://www.colleconline.com/de/collections/2281/tejas552

Cool collection - I find your Goths, Vandals, Burgundians, Merovingians and imitations particularly interesting. Great pieces!

@Ocatarinetabellatchitchix @Tejas  @Prieure de Sion Thanks for the suggestions about Colleconline. I've started my gallery over there and I must say I've been very impressed with the user-friendly interface and the attention to detail that the site offers. I especially like that I can confidentially put in all the purchase details. It's very thorough!

It'll take a little while to finish, but I've got maybe a dozen or two uploaded and I continue to work on it most evenings.

The collections of CPK (colleconline.com)

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 5

3 hours ago, CPK said:

@Ocatarinetabellatchitchix @Tejas  @Prieure de Sion Thanks for the suggestions about Colleconline. I've started my gallery over there and I must say I've been very impressed with the user-friendly interface and the attention to detail that the site offers. I especially like that I can confidentially put in all the purchase details. It's very thorough!

It'll take a little while to finish, but I've got maybe a dozen or two uploaded and I continue to work on it most evenings.

I hate you! (No only a joke) … 🙂 why you are all so talented with your pictures? I am totally un-talented about that. 

Great! You coins and your pictures looks great! Also the design and structure at your CollecOnline Database. You at the beginning - but you do it well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

4 hours ago, CPK said:

PS: There is a little "trick" zu insert the link to your gallery here in the forum in your ABOUT ME section. Normally its not possible - because ABOUT ME here in the Forum don't support embedded HTML and don't support BBC Code.

1. Go to you CollecOnline Account.
2. Gear wheel (settings)
3. Banner
4. Go to BBC Code and click on DISPLAY CODE

5. Now go to your Forum Profile here at numisforums and edit your profile. Switch to ABOUT ME register.

6. Switch to your CollecOnline Tab
7. Right mouse click above your banner and select with the context menu "Copy image address"

8. Switch to numisforums ABOUT ME textfield and insert the image address link. Wait a moment - now you see your CollecOnline Banner.

But you see only the Banner picture. Now make a link to your collection.

9. Switch to the CollecOnline Banner Page and search in the BBC Code textbox for your Link. Copy this link.

Like: https://www.colleconline.com/de/users/123456/exampleuser

10. No switch last one to numisforums ABOUT ME box, klick your image and add the Hyperlink you copied.

Finished - now you have the banner picture and the link to your CollecOnline Collection here in the About Me section 🙂 

• Like 1

To add a bit to the Tantalus advocacy - I want people to join it and keep the platform alive!

When you log in, there are many features which may not be obvious from a quick browse.

Here's what I see with what Tantalus calls a grid:

image.png.2bac56ca53d001f3a744239bb3c50ad7.png

It's possible to set up these grids to include any coins you have in any particular arrangement.   I made this around 10 years ago - at least, I can't see any coins bought after 2013.   My intention then was to have a separate grid for each tray I had.   You can click on the coin and bring up the data page for that coin.   As you can see, I was mostly using combined obverse/reverse photos at that stage and that doesn't translate well to grid views as they are squashed into the square grid slots.   I had one Obverse-only photo', which worked well enough.

I gave up on this idea after only one tray as moving coins around means a lot of work.   Maybe I can write something that will process a photo' of a tray to an imagemap with links to each coin.   I later did it manually for a tray of Augustus coins, but don't have a link to that at the moment (it's not in Tantalus, but my own website, which is a WIP and has been for many years!).

This grid is viewable here - A grid of mine.

There are some pre-defined grids and it's easy to generate more.

The "Deep Search" is reasonably useful:

image.png.88adc236dab9e4c013c7eb8d0eb1069d.png

You can search in any of those fields, for your own coins or anybody's.   It would be better if ranges (of weights or diameters, for example) could be searched, but it's not bad.

This is an example of what you see when entering a coin (or editing it, as in this case).   Note that there are different fields exposed when entering different types of coins, this is what you get for Roman Republican:

image.png.93ba0ffd12bec4102c8f98388626a433.png

I think 3 images is the most you can have.   This was a very worn but cheap "Shield & Carnyx" denarius.   Three currencies are supported - €, $, £.   There's a helpful Stats page to add up all the numbers and show how much you've squandered.

For RR coins, I generally use RSC, Sydenham, Crawford, sometimes adding RBW, BMCRR & HCRI, depending on whether I can be bothered to look them up - it's got room for up to 5 references.   There's room for Notes and people can add comments too.

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I hate you! (No only a joke) … 🙂 why you are all so talented with your pictures? I am totally un-talented about that. 

Great! You coins and your pictures looks great! Also the design and structure at your CollecOnline Database. You at the beginning - but you do it well. 

You are too kind! I enjoy photography (not nearly as proficient as many here though!) and I like trying to create attractive presentations. I'm enjoying filling in my new collection gallery. 😉 

I will definitely look into that link. I also saw your post in the Forum FAQs thread about signature lines, and I think too it would be cool to be able to link my collection there. 

• Yes 1