Dream Coin: Titus Colosseum Sestertius

David Atherton

I'm a lifelong fan of Roman history. Many of the Roman history books I read as a child illustrated coins depicting the Colosseum. From an early age I was aware of these coins. Before collecting Roman coins I thought I'd never hold one, after I started collecting I never thought I'd own one ... that is until now. Recently, this piece came up for sale, although worn it's honest and the major devices are still intact, but more importantly price-wise it was within reach. I cannot think of another coin type I would want more. It is a way to connect with my childhood while simultaneously touching a history I've always found immensely fascinating. The recent addition of other 'dream coins' on the forum was an inspiration too!

T184cc.jpg.91b6dccb6f581fcebabe905173299738.jpg

Titus
Æ Sestertius, 24.48g
Rome mint, 80-81 AD
Obv: No legend; Flavian amphitheatre; to l., Meta Sudans; to r., porticoed building
Rev: IMP T CAES VESP AVG P M TR PPP COS VIII; Titus std. l. on curule chair with branch and roll; around, arms; S C in field
RIC 184 (R2). BMC 190. BNC 189. Hendin 1594.

Ex Harlan J Berk BBS 225, 30 November 2023, lot 456. Ex Harlan J Berk MBS 35, 12 February 1985, lot 361.

“As long as the Coliseum stands, Rome shall stand; when the Coliseum falls, Rome will fall; when Rome falls, the whole world will fall.”

Venerable Bede

In June of 80 AD Titus spectacularly opened the Flavian amphitheatre with a series of inaugural games lasting 100 days. This rare sestertius commemorates the event in a no less impressive fashion. Vespasian had begun construction nearly a decade before, but it was Titus who virtually completed it. The obverse features an inventive bird's eye view of the structure from the Temple of Claudius on the Caelian Hill, with the Meta Sudans to the left and the porticoes of the Baths of Titus to the right. The depiction of the three structures on the obverse is strong evidence the Romans viewed the amphitheatre as part of a larger entertainment complex. The reverse features Titus seated surrounded by a pile of captured arms, identical to sestertii struck for Claudius. Taken together both obverse and reverse pays homage to Claudius, an emperor highly regarded by the Flavians. At the same time, the captured arms on the reverse and the decorative motif of the amphitheatre featuring palm trees and triumphal imagery commemorate the Jewish War which was still a major theme of Titus' coinage. Also, a recently discovered inscription which originally adorned one of the entrances proclaims the Flavian amphitheatre was built from the spoils of the Jewish War. Nathan t. Elkins believes the rarity of these coins today may hint that they were issued primarily for distribution at the opening games as souvenirs of the occasion. Ben Lee Damsky has convincingly argued Titus' extensive pulvinar precious metal coinage commemorates the inaugural games as well. If that is the case, a large portion of Titus' coinage was devoted to these opening games and the fantastic venue in which they were held, emphasising the prominent place it held for Titus and the Flavian dynasty. The fact that it still serves as a symbol of the Roman Empire today shows that Titus was correct in his estimation of its importance. Like the Eid Mar denarii, the Colosseum sestertii are seen today as one of the most well known and iconic coin types struck by the Roman Empire.

In hand.

Aaron Berk estimates there are no more than 80 of these coins in existence today, many of which have tooling and/or smoothing issues. Thankfully, this is one of the rare pieces that is untouched. A major gap in my collection has finally been filled!

Please feel free to share your own dream coins.

As always, thank you for looking and watching!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 28
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 2
  • Clap 5
  • Mind blown 6
  • Heart Eyes 11

😮Oh wow!! Talk about the coin of a lifetime - and what a fantastic achievement for your impressive collection! Congratulations! 🥳

According to Harlan J. Berk circa 2019, only 25 specimens of your coin type are recorded (and another ten of the posthumously issued variety.) Talk about rarity in addition to the incredibly evocative imagery. I also read somewhere that these coins were likely treated as souvenirs which would explain why the few that have survived are generally very smoothly worn, and sometimes holed. Yours is a great example, honest wear as you say but with all the main features clearly visible (with even a hint of the crowds inside the amphitheater!)

Again, congrats on this most impressive acquisition!

• Like 4

Fantastic addition. I remember the study of Elkins with his theory about this issue: it was not a currency but rather a Largess. He based his assumptions (among other things) on the number of coins that could have been struck (calculated from the 5 obverse dies known) and  suggest it could correspond to the number of seated places in the building. Are there new evidences confirming his hypothesis ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Coingratulations, @David Atherton! What a wonderful addition to your numophylacium!! You know, we throw around the word "iconic" a lot, but in this case, the coin really does deserve the appellation. It is an iconic coin. It has a rich, chocolate patina and all the devices are there and would be welcome in any collector's hands.

image.gif.5fe52f92afdcf704c2f9eb0e074e8900.gif

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

For between 4 and 6 seconds Aaron Berk let one of my  boys hold what I think is another example of this coin at the NY International in January. The urge to run was strong, but successfully resisted.

(I thought it was really kind of  him, as apparently these don't come cheap!)

unnamedqfe.jpg

• Like 12
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Congratulations on acquiring an example of arguably my favorite coin type! Your coin has nice, wholesome wear which adds to the appeal: Roman citizens cherished these coins (which are generally believed to have been handed out at the inaugural games of the opening of the Colosseum). Some ancient Roman used this as a souvenir: truly history in your hands.

I saw a Colosseum sestertius in the Heritage booth at a preview for their upcoming auction for the ANA show in 2013. I asked an attendant to hold it (lot viewing wasn't prepared yet) and I just marveled at the coin and the history involved, saying out loud, "that is a heck of a coin". Fast forward a couple months and I managed to buy it for a record price for me at the time but I love it so much I've named my collection after it.

It was unpedigreed in the auction but through a combination of some impressive pedigree sleuthing friends and Ex-Numis, it's now one of my better pedigreed coins:

Ex Tommaso Saulini di Roma (1793-1864), Galeria Sangiorgi, Roma, Palazzo Borghese 28 April 1899, lot 110; Ex. Dr. Paul Hartwig, Auction MM P&P Santamaria, Rome 07.03.1910, Lot 1215

image.jpeg.bfe4e8f5a4c010b2f716d8483264b141.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 3
  • Heart Eyes 8

18 hours ago, JayAg47 said:

I saw this coin on Aaron Berk's catalogue and also on his youtube podcast, and wondered who'd be the lucky winner! What a wonderful piece of history! 

I saw it featured in the podcast, in a YouTube short, and finally on Instagram. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyjBWaAud6x/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

Everywhere I turned it kept popping up. I guess it was fate. 

• Like 4
  • Smile 2
  • Yes 1

15 hours ago, CPK said:

😮Oh wow!! Talk about the coin of a lifetime - and what a fantastic achievement for your impressive collection! Congratulations! 🥳

According to Harlan J. Berk circa 2019, only 25 specimens of your coin type are recorded (and another ten of the posthumously issued variety.) Talk about rarity in addition to the incredibly evocative imagery. I also read somewhere that these coins were likely treated as souvenirs which would explain why the few that have survived are generally very smoothly worn, and sometimes holed. Yours is a great example, honest wear as you say but with all the main features clearly visible (with even a hint of the crowds inside the amphitheater!)

Again, congrats on this most impressive acquisition!

When I saw that you acquired your own dream grail, I thought why not? Thank you for the inspiration!

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

Fantastic addition. I remember the study of Elkins with his theory about this issue: it was not a currency but rather a Largess. He based his assumptions (among other things) on the number of coins that could have been struck (calculated from the 5 obverse dies known) and  suggest it could correspond to the number of seated places in the building. Are there new evidences confirming his hypothesis ?

No new evidence that I am aware of, but Elkins' theory is compelling enough that I've adopted it. I think his book on the Colosseum is fantastic, primarily because it concentrates on the Flavian history of the structure. 

https://www.press.jhu.edu/books/title/12041/monument-dynasty-and-death

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

Coingratulations, @David Atherton! What a wonderful addition to your numophylacium!! You know, we throw around the word "iconic" a lot, but in this case, the coin really does deserve the appellation. It is an iconic coin. It has a rich, chocolate patina and all the devices are there and would be welcome in any collector's hands.

image.gif.5fe52f92afdcf704c2f9eb0e074e8900.gif

In Harlan J Berk's 100 Greatest Ancient Coins it's the second highest Roman coin, only the EID MAR ranks higher. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

Congratulations on acquiring an example of arguably my favorite coin type! Your coin has nice, wholesome wear which adds to the appeal: Roman citizens cherished these coins (which are generally believed to have been handed out at the inaugural games of the opening of the Colosseum). Some ancient Roman used this as a souvenir: truly history in your hands.

I saw a Colosseum sestertius in the Heritage booth at a preview for their upcoming auction for the ANA show in 2013. I asked an attendant to hold it (lot viewing wasn't prepared yet) and I just marveled at the coin and the history involved, saying out loud, "that is a heck of a coin". Fast forward a couple months and I managed to buy it for a record price for me at the time but I love it so much I've named my collection after it.

It was unpedigreed in the auction but through a combination of some impressive pedigree sleuthing friends and Ex-Numis, it's now one of my better pedigreed coins:

Ex Tommaso Saulini di Roma (1793-1864), Galeria Sangiorgi, Roma, Palazzo Borghese 28 April 1899, lot 110; Ex. Dr. Paul Hartwig, Auction MM P&P Santamaria, Rome 07.03.1910, Lot 1215

image.jpeg.bfe4e8f5a4c010b2f716d8483264b141.jpeg

I've long admired your own specimen. Thank you for sharing it!

• Like 2

Every time I see this type, I am reminded of the absolute travesty of Mussolini's bulldozing of the Meta Sudans. 2,000 years later, it was the only surviving Roman functional Roman fountain. It was in a high state of preservation, still quite tall, and still "sweated" water as it did when it was built. To widen a road, our boy decided that it was only reasonable to knock that fountain down, and there is now nothing left but a plaque. 

• Yes 1
  • Cry 4
  • Mind blown 1

4 hours ago, hotwheelsearl said:

Every time I see this type, I am reminded of the absolute travesty of Mussolini's bulldozing of the Meta Sudans. 2,000 years later, it was the only surviving Roman functional Roman fountain. It was in a high state of preservation, still quite tall, and still "sweated" water as it did when it was built. To widen a road, our boy decided that it was only reasonable to knock that fountain down, and there is now nothing left but a plaque. 

Yes, what a crime to world heritage. But that's the sort of thing that happens when an authoritarian takes over a country.

Speaking of the Meta Sudans, although the structure is depicted on the OP sestertius it's highly unlikely to have been completed when the coin was struck. Roman die engravers had a habit of depicting buildings and structures on the coinage that had yet to be built or finished. Titus certainly planned it and announced the fact, but the excavated brickwork shows Domitianic stamps. Plus, later Roman chronographers date the structure to Domitian's reign. Titus likely started construction but Domitian finished it.

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 3