Dream Coin: Titus Colosseum Sestertius

David Atherton

On 10/30/2023 at 3:51 AM, David Atherton said:

Aaron Berk estimates there are no more than 80 of these coins in existence today

There used to  be 81. A Hallowe'en tale.

There's a great article in  the Celator from Alan Walker on a spectacular discovery  he made about  one of these these coins. It had the most fabulous provenance back to the 1840's. Initially sold "At midday on the 4th of March. 1847, the choice and reserved collection of Roman First Brass coins and medals of lohn Robert Steuart, Esq." was sold by S, Leigh Sotheby & Co" etc. I won't completely spoil the story, but this coin passed amongst the great, including Sir Arthur Evans &  Bunbury, de Sartiges  bid  on it etc. It took 150 years for anyone (Dr Walker) to figure out the mistake. The coin was apparently first found  in the ruins of Pompeii. Destroyed when? 79AD. This coin was minted err in 80-81. It unraveled from there.

More here -https://social.vcoins.com/files/file/94-vol-09-no-03-march-1995/

Page 35-37.

Sleep tight.

• Like 4

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

There's a great article in  the Celator from Alan Walker on a spectacular discovery  he made about  one of these these coins. It had the most fabulous provenance back to the 1840's. Initially sold "At midday on the 4th of March. 1847, the choice and reserved collection of Roman First Brass coins and medals of lohn Robert Steuart, Esq." was sold by S, Leigh Sotheby & Co" etc. I won't completely spoil the story, but this coin passed amongst the great, including Sir Arthur Evans &  Bunbury, de Sartiges  bid  on it etc. It took 150 years for anyone (Dr Walker) to figure out the mistake. The coin was apparently first found  in the ruins of Pompeii. Destroyed when? 79AD. This coin was minted err in 80-81. It unraveled from there.

Page 35-37.

Sleep tight.

Quite a fascinating tale. I can't believe it took 150 years for someone to ask the obvious question!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

Page 35-37.

Sleep tight.

I love reading Alan Walker. Thanks for posting this!

• Like 1

That is an amazing coin. I really like the video.

If these were handed out as souvenirs during the games, this didn't apparently prevent people from using them in day to day transactions. Otherwise, we would not see this kind of wear. I guess this sestertius must have circulated some 50 years to aquire this kind of wear. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tejas said:

That is an amazing coin. I really like the video.

If these were handed out as souvenirs during the games, this didn't apparently prevent people from using them in day to day transactions. Otherwise, we would not see this kind of wear. I guess this sestertius must have circulated some 50 years to aquire this kind of wear. 

Yes, likely handed out as souvenirs, but later used as currency. The alternative is they were struck as currency to commemorate the opening games and of course circulated as such!

• Like 2