Augustus, Tiberius, and Many More • Virtual Denarii Display

LONGINUS

• Benefactor

The Augustus and Tiberius denarii are my first Roman Imperial purchases of 2022.

image.jpeg.89682e52040981139bef765d8ba310c9.jpeg

image.jpeg.1ec2d987f7e7fba1dfe8e6886d9826dd.jpeg

The others were acquired in 2021 beginning with the Five Good Emperors and the Five Julias.image.jpeg.8176e02e8fab15a0a9d0f61c12fd1dfb.jpeg

I was on an educational sabbatical from January through June so I got off to a late start this year.

Feel free to post your coins related to late beginnings or anything else you feel appropriate.

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 22
  • Cookie 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 6

Wow, Ray, that's beautiful.

My way of displaying them is far behind yours, anyway here they are

8f61005d3ccb49b79118da8f58d3e982.jpg

Augustus, Denarius - Rome mint, 2 BCE
CAESAR AVGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE, Laureate head of Augustus right
AVGVSTI F COS DESIG PRINC IVVENT, Caius and Lucius holding shields and spears
3,65 gr
Ref : RCV # 1597, Cohen # 43, RIC # 207

d199a93174a142d387d4e097d11d24cf.jpg

Tiberius, Denarius - Lyon mint, after 15-16 AD
TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGUSTUS, Laureate head of Tiberius right
PONTIF MAXIM, Woman seated right on a throne (Livia ?) and holding sceptre
3.71 gr
Ref : RIC # 30, RCV #1763, Cohen #16

Q

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

Tiberius Ar Denarius Lugdunum 15-18 AD Obv Head right laureate Rv Pax seated right on chair with plain legs. RIC 26 3.74 grms 18 mm Photo by W. Hansentiberiusd7.jpg.93e4ec84e2821b07f26e32222a2b6820.jpg

It looks like @Octavius and me get our Tiberius denarii from the same source. His however is one of the later issues with the ornate legs on the chair and the footstool. Mine is one of the earlier issues The portrait of Tiberius depicts a younger man with a large eye hooked nose a strong chin and a firm mouth. He as a full head of hair. What is puzzling is the reverse. While the staff is firmly planted on the exergue the chair is not   It is on a second line. It does not seem to be representing a low pedestal or perhaps even a sedan chair. 

• Like 11

• Benefactor
14 hours ago, Ryro said:

Wonderful coins and display DR!

Which one do you think is referenced in the Bible? I lean towards Augustus.

Augustus sounds like a great candidate, @Ryro  !

image.jpeg.4587848049e72b7ab5da9b475917d60e.jpeg

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 2
  • Yes 1
  • Laugh 3

Lovely coins @LONGINUS et al.!

Here is my "Tribute Penny", with a little description I typed up awhile back:

20220528_170054.jpg.b9ad221940347e15492b9a216420b437.jpg

Silver denarius

Tiberius Caesar (A.D. 14 – 37)

Minted at Lugdunum (Gaul)

History:

When Augustus died in A.D. 14, he was succeeded as Emperor by his stepson, Tiberius Caesar Augustus. Tiberius had been an effective military leader under Augustus, and early in his reign he proved to be a capable and efficient administrator. However, he was less politically adept than Augustus had been, and as a consequence his relationship with the Senate quickly soured to one of mutual resentment and distrust.

Later in life, Tiberius became increasingly reclusive and paranoid, and in A.D. 26 he left Rome altogether, moving to his villa on the island of Capri some 127 miles to the southeast. There he remained, taking little part in political rule until his death in A.D. 37.

Tiberius was Emperor during Jesus’s later life, including his ministry and crucifixion. He is mentioned in the Bible just once by name; Luke 3:1 begins: “Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, . . .”

This coin in particular makes an appearance in Matthew 22, when Jesus was asked whether or not it was lawful to pay taxes to Caesar (at the time, Tiberius):

“But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites? Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.” (verses 18-21)

The original Greek word translated as “penny” was “denarius”. Very likely, the coin Jesus was shown looked exactly like this one – complete with the image and superscription of Tiberius Caesar.

• Like 7

I have a tribute penny, somewhat less beautiful than the OP's.

Tiberius Denarius, 14-37image.png.e7e4d8e5b6676885ad3805a904b6c995.png

Lugdunum. Silver, 19x18mm, 3.64g. Head of Tiberius, laureate, right; TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS. Female figure (Livia as Pax), draped, right, seated, right on chair with plain legs, holding branch and long sceptre; below chair, a double line; PONTIF MAXIM (RIC I.2, 26). From the South Norfolk Hoard 2014.

• Like 7

Augustus, Roman Empire
AR denarius
Obv: CAESAR AVGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE, laureate head right.
Rev: C L CAESARES AVGVSTI F COS DESIG PRINC IVVENT, Gaius and Lucius Caesars standing facing, shields and spears between them; simpulum and lituus above; X below.
Mint: Lugdunum
Ref: RIC I 212; Lyon 86; RSC 43d.

[IMG]

Tiberius, Roman Empire
AR denarius
Obv: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS, laureate head right
Rev: PONTIF MAXIM, Livia (as Pax) seated right, holding long scepter in her right hand and olive branch in her left; plain chair legs
Mint: Lugdunum
Date: 14-37 AD
Ref: RIC 26

[IMG]

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Silver Coin (AR Denarius) minted in Lugdunum during the reign of AUGUSTUS between 2 B.C. - 14 A.D. Obv. CAESAR.AVGVSTVS.DIVI.F.PATER.PATRIAE.: laur. hd. r. Rev. C.L.CAESARES.AVGVSTI.F.COS.DESIG.PRINC.IVVENT.: Caius and Lucius Caesar stg., each holding a shield and spear between them, a lituus (on l.) and simplum (on r.) above (each turned inward). This coin refers to the naming of these boys for the consulate and their acclamation as Princeps Juventus. RCS #479. RSCI #43. RICI #207. pg. 55. DVM #51.

Silver Coin (AR Denarius) minted at Lugdunum during the reign of TIBERIUS between 14 - 37 A.D. Obv. TI.CAESAR.DIVI.AVG.F.AVGVSTVS. laurel. hd. r. Rev. PONTIF.MAXIM.: Livia std. r. r. holding inverted spear, l. branch, in a chair with ornate legs, and her feet rest on a small footstool. RCS #567. RSCII #16a. RIC #30 pg.95. DVM #8c pg.75. (Tribute penny of the Bible).

AAA-236 OBVP.jpg

AAA-236 REVP.jpg

ABA-237 OBV.jpg

ABA-237 REV.jpg

Edited by Jims,Coins
  • Like 5

Congrats, that's a very nice pair of denarii! I like the digital coin tray too.

From the wish-I-still-had-this-one file (I think):

image.png.cb607d4dc3c15bd176fc58b73664a6b7.png

Still have this one for sure:

image.jpeg.1f3b45a1f452cfbf18fa5b6c6b07f0a8.jpeg

I've got one more "okay" one somewhere... Plus several fourrees, apparently the photos are all "in the wind."

From the can't-have-too-many (then again...) file:

image.jpeg.e012d50d8e7af47d2ff76156d4f4d695.jpeg

(I've got a placeholder "Tribute Penny," too...)

• Like 8