WoW! One hour video of someone unboxing coins

Limes

I have been staring at this video for half an hour now, with my mouth wide opened, and I had to share it here. I love this video! Just looking at all these coins getting unpacked is magical. I hope some of you like it too. My largest amount of coins in one shipment ever was 4. That was very pleasing to unpack. What was your largest shipment? 

N.B. If i remember correctly, Classical Numismatics is a member of this forum, but I might mix things up here, and be wrong. anyway I dont think this video is posted already. If so, aoplogies and Ill see the optician. 

• Like 8
  • Smile 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 3

Many thanks for posting though I immediately starting trying to guess who the buyer of all 11,000 coins was and the slightly Anglo-Dutch (to my ears)  made me  leap irrationally to Elon Musk and therefore almost sob.

And then I realized I was a very low underbidder on some of the others. So sobbed.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Looks like one of the coins I recently put up for auction, he decided to purchase.

Tetradrachm of M. Licinius Lucullus 86-84 in the style of an Athenian New Style tetradrachm Obv Head of Athena right wearing triple crested Athenian style helmet Rv Owl standing right head facing on overturned amphora HGC 1777 16.10 grms 31 mm Photo by W. Hansenathens40.png.0525092004ccf197ceda6b8fe7744385.png

The types are iconically Athenian but This coin lacks the city ethnic of Athens bringing into question whether or not the coin was actually struck there. The traditional view is that Sulla had started striking these coins after the fall of the city, however now they are ascribed to Lucullus, that question does deserve rather more scrutiny. 

• Like 8
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

5 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I couldn't watch more than a few minutes -- too envious!  Also, I felt a strong compulsion to use a lint remover on his coin tray.

Amen ra!

When he firsts starts the video with those linty blue trays I wasn't sure that I wasn't looking at the depths of space!

Screenshot_20230901_161759_Chrome.jpg

who does that?

But what a fun (and frustrating) exercise, watching these ancient wonders be opened by someone I don't know. Coingrats to you, and excellent taste... for the most part. If you do share again, please give more details. 

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1

9 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

It's also amazing that he buys them and waits for several years  (in some cases) to take  possession!

I wondered that too. Somewhere near the end of the video, he mentions that some where in the USA for years. I could not handle such a long wait! 

I had a second heart attack, thinking of the taxes (21%) and import fee (4%) i would have to pay, if all those coins together would be shipped to the NL. Those percentages are levied over the total value of the package, not just coins, but also fees and so on! I think thats about the value of half my collection.... 

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

10 hours ago, kapphnwn said:

Looks like one of the coins I recently put up for auction, he decided to purchase.

Tetradrachm of M. Licinius Lucullus 86-84 in the style of an Athenian New Style tetradrachm Obv Head of Athena right wearing triple crested Athenian style helmet Rv Owl standing right head facing on overturned amphora HGC 1777 16.10 grms 31 mm Photo by W. Hansenathens40.png.0525092004ccf197ceda6b8fe7744385.png

The types are iconically Athenian but This coin lacks the city ethnic of Athens bringing into question whether or not the coin was actually struck there. The traditional view is that Sulla had started striking these coins after the fall of the city, however now they are ascribed to Lucullus, that question does deserve rather more scrutiny. 

Margaret Thompson in NSSCA devides these Sullan pseudo Athenian NewStyles in to type l  with an "A"  on the amphora and type ll without.  ESG Robinson  decoded the monograms to read Markoy Tamoiy which translates as Marcus, treasurer . I believe Thompson also was a believer! Marcus Lucullus was the beloved brother of Lucius Lucullus, it seems he was given a task also to raise a fleet as well as minting acceptable coinage.  Robinson's decoding is generally accepted today...it is interesting that the monogram form was used  which existed on the earlier NewStyle type  and that the horse protomes on Athena's helmet  is similar to that found on Heraklia on Lamon wreathed tetradrachms.  My coin was purchased from eBay!

My Sulla II.jpg

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 5

Just think whilst unpacking the coins several years later and finding an egregious fake, or that the wrong coin had ben put in!  And then because of the time between  purchase, receiving and unveiling I think the seller who have grounds that sufficient time had passed for due diligence.

I too once had a wrong coin sent to me about a year ago. The received coin was certainly nowhere near the value of the one ordered  or of any  interest numismatically!  But the swap took place rapidly and things are right now.

I'm am surprised people haven't jumped in with their comments on the coins themselves....the Leg Makadonon  is spectacular  and highly historical. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewStyleKing said:

Just think whilst unpacking the coins several years later and finding an egregious fake, or that the wrong coin had ben put in!  And then because of the time between  purchase, receiving and unveiling I think the seller who have grounds that sufficient time had passed for due diligence.

I too once had a wrong coin sent to me about a year ago. The received coin was certainly nowhere near the value of the one ordered  or of any  interest numismatically!  But the swap took place rapidly and things are right now.

I'm am surprised people haven't jumped in with their comments on the coins themselves....the Leg Makadonon  is spectacular  and highly historical. 

this person has all the coins send from NGC, i think he said in the video, even though the coins were from other venues, such as NAC and Tauler Fau, as well. I therefore believe he uses NGC as his agent, too. So theres a good guarantee the coins are ok, and the right ones are delivered to him. Just speculation of course. 

Anyway, more interesting is your last point. All coins are fantastic in my opinion. Rare tissues, historical interesting issues, or otherwise just great coins. Im more into Roman issues, so my favorites were all the Augustus issues, the aureus even though there was some tooling, and the Rufus issue with the portrait of Brutus (he calls it a budget EID MAR 😁)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, NewStyleKing said:

I personally think there were 4 quality coins, including Macedon Tetradrachm 

• Like 2

I'm not going to tell any collector how they should collect, because it's THEIR hobby and their collection, but there were some aspects of this collector's approach that are much different than mine:

• The guy has way more disposable income than I do.
  • I would never be able to wait patiently for months to years for my auction purchases to arrive.
  • The guy seems to have no interest in bronze coins whatsoever.
  • He puts way more emphasis on grade than I do.

But there are a number of things we have in common, too:

• He has well-defined specialty collections he is working on simultaneously.
  • He researches the historical background behind each purchase.
  • He loves ancient numismatics and learning about the ancient Mediterranean world.
  • Like 3