Got a bucket list coin 🍑

JayAg47

This issue of Julia Domna has been in my bucket list for a long time. Even though I've seen many examples, they're either too expensive or the butt of Venus is worn flat. This coin was reasonably priced with an appealing reverse. 

ven.jpg.26530871a11705d5aca2b8ccb16ba9e3.jpg

193-195 AD, 2.36g.
IVLIA DOMNA AVG
VENERI VICTR, Venus standing right, naked to waist, leaning on column to left, holding palm and helmet (attributions say it's apple, but why would any Roman god hold apple that's not even native to the Mediterranean?!). 

In regards to the obverse, I think it's a die match to the below coin posted by @Ryro on Cointalk. 

45751-removebg-preview.png.3e25c383042449caba61024ce189e184.png

Please post your bare bottomed Venus coins!

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 20
  • Heart Eyes 4

From wikipedia, which could explain why Venus (Aphrodite) is holding an apple.

The Greek goddess of discord, Eris, became disgruntled after she was excluded from the wedding of Peleus and Thetis.[39] In retaliation, she tossed a golden apple inscribed Καλλίστη (Kalliste, sometimes transliterated Kallisti, "For the most beautiful one"), into the wedding party. Three goddesses claimed the apple: Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite. Paris of Troy was appointed to select the recipient. After being bribed by both Hera and Athena, Aphrodite tempted him with the most beautiful woman in the world, Helen of Sparta. He awarded the apple to Aphrodite, thus indirectly causing the Trojan War.

The apple was thus considered, in ancient Greece, sacred to Aphrodite. To throw an apple at someone was to symbolically declare one's love; and similarly, to catch it was to symbolically show one's acceptance of that love. An epigram claiming authorship by Plato states:[41]

I throw the apple at you, and if you are willing to love me, take it and share your girlhood with me; but if your thoughts are what I pray they are not, even then take it, and consider how short-lived is beauty.

— Plato, Epigram VII
Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 6

"Even though I've seen many examples, they're either too expensive or the butt of Venus is worn flat."

lol

I'm reminded of a scene with Groucho Marx and Margaret Dumont where she compliments him on the rowboat they're in, and he replies... "I wanted a flat-bottom but the girl at the boathouse didn't have one."

~ Peter Hope 

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1