CNG e-sale wins! Share ‘em!

TheTrachyEnjoyer

• Benefactor
8 hours ago, Valentinian said:

Now it is Monday, Sept. 12, and today Leu sent me the tracking number and it was mailed the 7th and is already in the US. I should have the coins in a few days. 

My Leu package was apparently processed by Customs here in NYC this morning. So, I should hopefully get it soon.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, David Atherton said:

In contrast to the above shipping woes, I won a coin in Savoca's Blue auction Sunday morning - they shipped it Fedex earlier today. Incredible if you think about how many lots were sold by them over the weekend. Talk about excellent customer service!

Love Savoca’s CS

3 hours ago, Mucius Scaevola said:

Nice to hear from you CNG wins, or should we rename the thread?😜

image.jpeg.5b613e8590feaadda9a993353e0a14d6.jpeg

Justin I - Imperator Caesar Flavius Iustinus Augustus
Solidus of the Byzantine Eastern Roman Empire Period 518/527 AD

Material: Gold
Diameter: 21.00mm
Weight: 4.35g
Mint: Constantinopolis
Reference: MIBE 2, DOC 1b, Sear 55

My last CNG win from Auction 523... 😉 
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

My package from Leu Numismatik arrived in the mail today. I will post photos and descriptions of the three coins in appropriate threads -- one Gordian III sestertius, one Edward VII AR crown, and one modern gold coin (a Wilhelm II 10 marks piece) -- soon.

• Like 3

Sorry if this question is a bit of topic but I've seen a lot of very fragile thin coins or soft metal coins such as gold in slabs.....I know nothing about slabbing coins so the question is...

How are these coins slabbed?

Being held by 4 tags (for want of a better word) without any damage to the coin??...Surely this can mark the coin at the 4 points?

17 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Sorry if this question is a bit of topic but I've seen a lot of very fragile thin coins or soft metal coins such as gold in slabs.....I know nothing about slabbing coins so the question is...

How are these coins slabbed?

Being held by 4 tags (for want of a better word) without any damage to the coin??...Surely this can mark the coin at the 4 points?

There are a lot of different systems, even with the same TPG, but as far as I can tell, the coin is not gripped by the prongs, rather it sits in a groove inside the prongs. Like here from NGC, the plastic dips in the middle and the coin sits in that hollow. I'm guessing that the two halves of the plastic snap shut around it, once it's in position in one of them. Presumably, they have a lot of different sizes to get one that fits, as it doesn't seem to be adjustable!

It can be more of a problem when the plastic is not particularly tight against the coin and it comes loose. I imagine if it was rattling about in there when being transported, it might not do it much good.

image.png.680d85912d7eef0ddeed5d2a9368aa64.png

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1