Roma XXVll

NewStyleKing

Look at the latest from Roma!  Some fantastic Greek rarities with lots of quotidian banal Old Style Athens  including one of the Dekadrachm obverse rarity...never heard of that before!   Some lovely Tenedos tets, It seems the dating is still widespread. The Eumenes ll portrait tet is a cracker  and the Dioscuri on the reversei are just fab.  The 2 NewStyles, though nice examples, are a bit boring and my example of facing head of Helios  is just as good, if not better! ( Mine looks like Jesus!) Enjoy!

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 138/7 BC

33mm 16.87gm Thompson issue 27
Thompson catalogue : 288a
Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora on
which month mark Α control ΗΡ in LF
LF - ΓΛΑΥ RF - ΕΧΕ
2 magistrates
RF symbol : Radiate facing bust of Helios
All within a surrounding olive wreath

21_Helios_Bust-removebg-preview.png

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 13

I am hardly an expert on this series but I will have a go. Back in 1970 Chester Starr took over from where Seltman left off and published his Athenian Coinage 480-449 BC.  In this book he catalogued the Athenian coinage from the end of the Persian wars to the start of the "Mass coinage" which we now date as commencing in 454 BC. Though the absolute chronology that he had established for this coinage has been successfully challenged, his organization into five main groups with a number of sub groups has generally not. Starr places the Athenian Dekadrachms in his Group II C Group II has been sub dived into three sub groups A through C.  Fischer- Bossert has also studied the Athenian Dekadrachms and appears to be responsible for the dating of that coinage . The Roma coin in question has been identified as being part of Group II A.   I cannot comment on the veracity of that claim.  Sorting through the Starr Groups I through III is not for the faint hearted. However the length of this coinage is very small. Hoover in his HGC series placed the Starr Group I coins starting in 475 BC and we now accept that this coinage ended with Group V at 454 BC. giving us a period of 20 years.

StarrAthens.jpg.b3c5cd1f4a4368b705db90b8ab7b41bf.jpg

Starr's book very similar to mine. This is the Durst reprint. 

11000211.jpg.982ee9185c1249fa61f533062bc8973c.jpg

Athens Ar Dekadrachm 469/5-460 BC  Obv Helmeted head of Athena right Rv Owl standing facing wings spread. Fischer-Bossert 18 This coin illustrated Starr Group II C HGC 1585 43.38 grms 31.5 mm Photo CNG Triton XXII Lot 211 January 7 2019 THIS IS NOT MY COIN

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Yes, Chester Starr Group II owls include tetradrachms modeled after the decadrachms, specifically Group II.B and Group II.C.  Very rare coins indeed!  Sometimes I've seen early Group III owls listed as Group IIs.  

Roma XXVII has some exquisite lots, well out my price range for sure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewStyleKing said:

What were the 4 Greeks and 3 Romans?

Its a mix, but quite a few RR and Greek starting prices were a bit ridiculous, so hence the list is down to 7, where historically it would be 14-20… new styles are just ok this time around in terms of quality… 

most RR are overprices…and starting prices are ridiculous 

1 hour ago, velarfricative said:

There's not really anything at all for me in this sale, one of the smallest Bactrian sections I've ever seen in a Roma feature.

exactly my thought too, was hoping for some nice bactrians since leu didnt have much either. was a bit disappointed, hoped for similar selection as the last roma auction

• Like 1

• Benefactor

I must say I too am a bit disappointed in the latest Roma. Not like any of the coins are in my price range, but there's not a lot that I'm really salivating over. There's one coin that I would love, but the starting bid was above my budget and I'm sure with patience I'll find a cheaper example. There's another coin I wouldn't mind, but I'm sure it will go above my budget. That's about it.

• Benefactor
22 hours ago, El Cazador said:

Its a mix, but quite a few RR and Greek starting prices were a bit ridiculous, so hence the list is down to 7, where historically it would be 14-20… new styles are just ok this time around in terms of quality… 

most RR are overprices…and starting prices are ridiculous 

I strongly disagree with you about the RR prices, and I would like to think I know a little bit about the market in the last few years for the last century or so of RR coinage. Leaving aside the early pre-denarius and anonymous denarius issues (with which I'm not as familiar), the condition of almost all of the coins is far better than the usual for a series of Roman Republican auction lots. If anything, I think the starting prices and estimates are quite low. I would expect most of the RRs to sell for well above the estimates, never mind the starting prices.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I strongly disagree with you about the RR prices, and I would like to think I know a little bit about the market in the last few years for the last century or so of RR coinage. Leaving aside the early pre-denarius and anonymous denarius issues (with which I'm not as familiar), the condition of almost all of the coins is far better than the usual for a series of Roman Republican auction lots. If anything, I think the starting prices and estimates are quite low. I would expect most of the RRs to sell for well above the estimates, never mind the starting prices.

Let’s wait for the auction day

3 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

Of course, the proof will always be in the pudding, but if the one RR lot I'm interested in could be purchased for the opening bid, I'd buy ten if they were offered.

Dont get me wrong- those are great AU+ examples but starting prices are excessive, in my opinion 

takes two to tango, though

Edited by El Cazador
  • Like 1