Strong women of the Roman era - show us your coins!

Prieure de Sion

The Roman Era is full of strong personal women who had to assert themselves in the Roman world dominated by men. Fulvia - the wife of Marcus Antonius, as well as the Egyptian queen Cleopatra. Women like Agrippina, the younger, the king maker who influenced three emperors - Caligula, Claudius and Nero. Up to Honoria or Galla Placidia. 

I had actually considered for a while collecting only coins of Roman women. Often they have been much more interesting in their biography, than their male spouses or sons. 

It is time to honor these women - show me your coins of Roman women. I'll start with Agrippina the Elder, wife of Germanicus and mother of Caligula (and his three well-known sisters Agrippina, Drusilla and Julia).

image.jpeg.26343a7b4beb20c5e9e5b406604ad231.jpeg

Vipsania Agrippina (Agrippina the Elder)
Sestertius of the Roman Imperial Period 42/43 AD; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 37mm; Weight: 29.13g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC I (second edition) Claudius 102; Obverse: Bust of Agrippina the Elder, bare-headed, draped, right, hair in long plait. The Inscription reads: AGRIPPINA M F GERMANICI CAESARIS for Agrippina Marci Filia Germanici Caesaris (Agrippina, daughter of Marcus [Agrippa], [spouse] of Caesar Germanicus); Reverse: Legend surrounding S C. The Inscription reads: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP P P for Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Imperator, Pater Patriae (Tiberius Claudius Caesar, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, high priest, holder of tribunician power, Imperator, father of the nation).

Agrippina was the daughter of the famous Roman general and friend of the Emperor Augustus - Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa and Julia, daughter of the Emperor. She was born probably in 14 BC. She was married 5 AD at the age of now 19 to Germanicus, who was about the same age. The couple had 9 children, including the future Emperor Caligula and his sisters Agrippina, Drusilla and Julia. 

Agrippna accompanied her husband during the years 14 to 16 AD to Germania, where she was highly respected by the soldiers because of her exemplary virtue and loyalty to Germanicus, but also because of her indomitable will. However, she is also described as imperious. When during the battle at the Pontes longi a Germanic force threatened to cross the Rhine bridge, she herself took command of the troops and prevented the destruction of the bridge, so that the troops of Aulus Caecina Severus could retreat to the left bank of the Rhine. She also played a decisive role in the suppression of the mutiny of the Rhine legions after the death of Augustus, which apparently earned her the envy of Tiberius.

In 16 AD Germanicus made a victorious return to Rome accompanied by his family. The family did not stay there for long. Agrippina the Elder also accompanied her husband on the next command in the East. On this journey Germanicus died under mysterious circumstances in Antioch in 19 AD. Agrippina brought Germanicus' ashes back to Rome. She held the governor of the province of Syria, Gnaeus Calpurnius Piso, and his wife Munatia Plancina, a friend of the empress Livia, responsible for her husband's death, ultimately accusing the emperor himself, as Tacitus also assumed, of having eliminated the popular competitor. From then on, she fought for the claim of her sons. Her relationship with Tiberius remained tense from then on. Thus Agrippina is said not to have eaten anything when invited by Tiberius for fear of poisoning.

Even food that the emperor personally handed her, she apparently refused. Tiberius did not forgive her this insult and kept her under house arrest for the following years. In 29 AD, after Tiberius had retired to Capri and Livia had died, Agrippina was accused of conspiracy together with her eldest son Nero Caesar and banished to the island of Pandataria, where her mother had already spent some years of her exile. Here she commits suicide (death by starvation) in AD 33. Only after the death of Tiberius (37 AD) her urn is buried in the Mausoleum of Augustus by order of her son Caligula. 

• Like 23
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Another small interjection. I know that we have a lot of Faustina friends here. Of course, Faustina coins are also very welcome - but even more I look forward to coins - whose women are not always common. 

And lastly - if you would like - I would appreciate it if you might write 1-2 sentences about what particularly fascinates you about the empress or woman - of the coin you are posting. 

But of course you don't have to - and every lady on a coin is welcome!

One of the most powerful women in the empire was Julia Maesa. Neither Elagabalus nor Severus Alexander would have ended up on the throne were it not for her.
1300860009_MaesaSAECVLIFELICITASstarrightfielddenarius.jpg.deb8020c385423ffc1574719c9f183f9.jpg
Julia Maesa, AD 218-225.
Roman AR denarius, 3.15 g, 19.5 mm, 7 h.
Rome, AD 220-222.
Obv: IVLIA MAESA AVG, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: SAECVLI FELICITAS, Felicitas standing left, with long caduceus, sacrificing out of patera over lighted altar, left; star in right field.
Refs: RIC 271; BMCRE 79; Cohen 45; RCV 7757; CRE 472; Thirion 419.

• Like 17
  • Yes 4

47 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Another small interjection. I know that we have a lot of Faustina friends here. Of course, Faustina coins are also very welcome - but even more I look forward to coins - whose women are not always common. 

And lastly - if you would like - I would appreciate it if you might write 1-2 sentences about what particularly fascinates you about the empress or woman - of the coin you are posting. 

But of course you don't have to - and every lady on a coin is welcome!

And, of course, how many empresses can say they are the daughter of an emperor, wife of an emperor, and mother of an emperor?

[IMG]
Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 24.87 g, 32.5 mm, 11 h.
Rome, AD 161-165.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust of Faustina II, right, with a double strand of pearls in the hair.
Rev: LAETITIA S C, Laetitia standing facing, head left, holding wreath in right hand and vertical scepter in left hand.
Refs: RIC 1654; BMCRE 924-27; Cohen 149; RCV 5279; MIR 21-6/10b.

• Like 15
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Pretty much ran the empire all her self, through her son.

mam.jpg.13b7c6be2e829e53d330bfacfbf45f2f.jpg

Julia Mamaea (222 - 235 A.D.)

AR Denarius
O: IVLIA MAMAEA AVG, Diademed and draped bust right.
R:VENVS GENETRIX, Venus standing left, head left, holding scepter and apple; at feet to left, Cupid standing right with hands raised.
Rome
3.6g
20mm
RIC 355 (Severus Alexander), RSC 072

• Like 17
  • Yes 2

While Julia Domna is my favorite of the Ladies- I will share a different one for this!

Marcia Otacilia Severa had not a long time on top and a reign that ended in tragedy. I cannot imagine what it was like being a mother to future rulers in Roman times or how they carried on after tragedies such as Philip II or Geta.

Otacilia Severa, Pietas Ar Antoninianus  MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG Draped bust right on crescent  PIETAS AVG Pietas standing left  RIC 122b, RSC 37, sear5 #9155 Keywords: Otacilia Severa Pietas

Otacilia Severa, Hippo Ae Sestertius; 12.65g; 27-30mm  [b]MARCIA OTACIL SEVERA AVG[/b] diademed draped bust right  [b]SAECVLARES AVGG /  S C[/b] Hippopotamus standing right  struck for the games celebrating of the 100th Anniversary of Rome in which exotic animals were battled and killed for spectacle in the Circus Maximus  RIC 200  Keywords: Otacilia Hippo

• Like 16
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

Not only was Severina the wife of an emperor, but she ruled on her own for a while after his death

4c6b5056964d4a8a9168526c11becde3.jpg

Aurelian and Severina, Double sestertius - Rome mint 274-275 CE
IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust of Aurelian right
SEVERINA AVG, diademed and draped bust of Severina right, on crescent
11.18 gr
Ref : Cohen # 1, RIC # 2, RCV # 11696

Q

• Like 18
  • Yes 1

I think a woman worthy of this group would be Valeria, daughter of Diocletian & Prisca. When Diocletian elevated Galerius to the position of Caesar she was married to Galerius to strengthen the bond between Diocletian & Galerius, & her name was changed to Galeria Valeria. Fortunately Galerius fathered no children with her 😏. When Galerius died, Valeria & Prisca were entrusted to the care of Licinius. They fled Licinius into the care of Maximinus Daia. When Valeria refused the marriage to Maximinus, she was arrested & confined in Syria, & all her wealth & property was confiscated. When Maximinus committed suicide AD 313, Licinius ordered the execution of Valeria & Prisca. In AD 315 they were beheaded in Thessalonica & their bodies thrown into the sea. Valeria & Prisca were both sympathetic to the Christians & both were canonized as Christian saints.

4094373-003AKCollection.jpg.014c354d2705e5750f5fd0c8433699a5.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

I also have a Salonina, this one of Alexandria. I think we can assume she was a positive influence on her husband, who reigned for fifteen years in a difficult time. And for the type (tetradrachm) it's an attractive portrait. After Gallienus' death, we know nothing of her fate. Hopefully she was able to live out her remaining years in a modicum of peace and comfort, although following the deaths of her sons and husband this must have been sad and difficult.

salonina1.jpg

salonina2.jpg

• Like 16
  • Yes 1

Sabina accumulated more public honors in Rome and the provinces than any imperial woman had enjoyed since the first empress, Augustus’ wife Livia. Indeed, Sabina is the first woman whose image features on a regular and continuous series of coins minted at Rome. -Wikipedia

aezanisSabina.jpg.9f042f60cf2ba03576d2d842553f63a1.jpg

Phrgia, Aezanis. Sabina AE16

Obv: СΑΒЄΙΝΑ СЄΒΑСΤΗ. Draped bust right.
Rev: ЄΠΙ Μ ΑΤI ΜΗΤΡΟΓЄΝΟVС ΑΙΖΑΝΙΤΩ. Hygieia standing facing, holding serpent and patera.
M. Ati- Metrogenes, magistrate.

• Like 12
  • Yes 1

Hi All,

Livia, an Alexandrian example.

image.png.d8e7ca1d08bb722c87996bb87389b3eb.png

LIVIA (Under AUGUSTUS: 31 Aug 30 BC - 14 Aug 19 CE)
ALEXANDRIA, EGYPT Year 41 (11/12 CE)

Æ Diobol
Size: 25 mm
Weight: 6.89 g
Axis: 01:00
Broucheion Collection R-1994-08-30.001

Obv: Livia bust facing right. Hair in bun. No legend. Border not visible.
Rev: Nike advancing left, wreath in upraised right arm. In left field: [L]; In right field: MA. Border not visible.
Refs: Emmett-56.41; Geissen-42; Dattari 61-62; RPC I-5062A,.1 Online (THIS); Milne 27 -28; Vogt II 3; Vogt I 14 and 19/20.
Note: RPC URI is https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/5062A [verified 14 Feb 2023].
Provenance: Ex Colosseum Coin Exchange, Auction 78 (30 Aug 1994)

- Broucheion

• Like 11
  • Yes 1

Roman Egypt. Alexandria. Nero, AD 54-68. Billon Tetradrachm (23mm, 13.69g, 4h). Dated RY 3 (AD 56/57). Obv: ΝΕΡ ΚΛΑΥ ΚΑΙΣ-ΣΕΒ Γ[ΕΡ AYTO]; Laureate head of Nero right. Rev: AΓPIΠΠINA-ΣEBAΣ[TH]; Draped bust of Agrippina Junior right, seen from front, hair in long queue with loop at bottom; L-Γ (date) to right. Ref: Köln 114-5; Dattari (Savio) 186; K&G 14.1 corr. (obv. legend); RPC I 5201; Emmett 107.3 (R1). Very Fine, nice even grey patina. From the Morris Collection. Ex Heritage Weekly Auction (18 Aug 2019), Lot #35037. 

image.jpeg.319fef85548f4faa94ac215ef6a3d5c6.jpeg

According to Pliny the Elder, Agrippina Junior had a double canine in her upper right jaw, a sign of good fortune.

• Like 13
  • Yes 1