Shooting the Republic - again !

Qcumbor

Pardon the clickbait !

Since I wasn't fully satisfied with my coin pictures, I decided I would re-take them, and started with the republican silver ones, hence the stupid title for a thread.

I'll start with an overview and follow up with individual coins/pictures if you would like me to. The process of cropping/cpying/pasting took quite some time, but the shooting itself has been quite fast and easy, as the weather was OK for the purpose : grey winter sky with an even light, not giving direct light/shadow on the coins. For the wallpaper I respected the relative size of the coins so they appear as they are in "real life" in the trays (well sort of, I didn't cut them in two for displaying both sides at the same time 😄 )

The overview (right click on the image to open a new page and access to full size picture:

0006-Republique-Agb.jpg.c6e5dae6412b67f78946180d3a4abdcd.jpg

Please feel free to post anything you like, relevant or irrelevant, or ask for specific individual coins if you want

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 12

15 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

Pardon me the clickbait !

Since I wasn't fully satisfied with my coin pictures, I decided I would re-take them, and started with the republican silver ones, hence the stupid title for a thread.

I'll start with an overview and follow up with individual coins/pictures if you would like me to. The process of cropping/cpying/pasting took quite some time, but the shooting itself has been quite fast and easy, as the weather was OK for the purpose : grey winter sky with an even light, not giving direct light/shadow on the coins. For the wallpaper I respected the relative size of the coins so they appear as they are in "real life" in the trays (well sort of, I didn't cut them in two for displaying both sides at the same time 😄 )

The overview (right click on the image to open a new page and access to full size picture:

Please feel free to post anything you like, relevant or irrelevant, or ask for specific individual coins if you want

Q

Wonderful collection packed with high grade examples & rarities 🤩!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

Very good collection. RRs have a distinct flavor and I often find myself hunting examples with historical importance or unique designs. 
From your collection, I have a grand total of 1 match. The L. Procilius Juno Sospita, RRC 379/2. The price for it, including fees, was 4 euros. As one might suspect, the condition is not exactly XF for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qcumbor said:

Q

This is an excellent presentation and a wonderful collection of Republic coins.  I especially appreciate the diversity of reverses as well as the overall quality of the coins you've chosen.  A collection like this is much more interesting than seeing the usual auction catalog of Republic coins, and almost entices me to extend my collecting range back to this era!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great new photos, Q, and a super numismatic panorama!  (Nice that they happen to fit into a perfect 6x7 grid... or did you cheat and leave a couple out? 😉)  The hi-res version of the pic is pretty good for each individual coin, so rather than asking for particular ones, I'll request that you show us the three you like best for their toning. It looks to me like some of the new photos really capture the toning well!

Also: what essential types (if any) do you feel are "missing" here?

Here's one of mine that's a) in your group, and b) needs a new photo!

image.jpeg.5f280c8fb246dca06ecd2cef2c3a2a9e.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

@Qcumbor, what wonderful photos (I wish I could manage anything close) -- and magnificent coins! I have about a dozen of the same types you do among my 80 Republican coins. I'm actually surprised there isn't more overlap, but then again I have none from the early period (most of your first row), and very few from the late, Imperatorial period (your last 2+ rows). I am in awe!

• Thanks 1

Thanks folks.

11 hours ago, idesofmarch01 said:

...and almost entices me to extend my collecting range back to this era!

Coming from someone with such an inspiring collection, I'm very honored, thanks !

6 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Nice that they happen to fit into a perfect 6x7 grid... or did you cheat and leave a couple out? 😉

No cheating really. I left out the bronzes as they are difficult to take pics of, and their big size would distract from looking properly at denarii. I also left out my only quinarius because I'm not really happy with it, it's a crappy little thing that I don't even keep with the main collection trays. That makes a convenient grand total of 42 !!!

I'll request that you show us the three you like best for their toning. It looks to me like some of the new photos really capture the toning well!

Speaking of toning only (well, choosing only three is hard) it would have to be those three/four (right click/open new window for enlarging pictures)

0010-1311b-2.jpg.65670eb15418acbf1c7c504bed3296ce.jpg

0010-1330b-2.jpg.78cfa1008d28496e6967506762abd27a.jpg

0020-1397b-2.jpg.7d9d3320f1b77d5c78c0d62c1dc7a6d0.jpg

0020-1479b-2.jpg.431c69107b4951a78ba2d55b28b6bd67.jpg

Also: what essential types (if any) do you feel are "missing" here?

Certainly a lifetime JC, an Ahenobarbus, a couple more Octavians, a Mussidia/cloacin, a Papia/griffin, an Hosidia/boar, a Caecilia/macedonian shield, a Claudia/moon & stars, a Vibia/Pansa, a Plancia/goat, a Minucia/wariors, some "alternative" bigas, and unless I forgot some, that's it !! 

Not a lot as you see 😄 

4 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I'm actually surprised there isn't more overlap

There are so many....

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 6

Beautiful coins, and great digital tray. I personally find your imperatorial duo-portrait issues very appealing, such as the Antony brothers. Great portraits! Another favorite is your Pompey - Nassidius issue. I've always had a thing for this issue, and I'm really happy to have landed one last year. I'll share it, below: 

0.17_2.png.34607cc1d0fcfcd3c7824575232511d6.png

• Like 7
  • Cookie 1

17 hours ago, Qcumbor said:

Q

I wish I had the photographic skill set to do something similar with my Flavian silver. Bravo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm very weak on the bronze side of the republican coinage, but one has to like their kids all the same, don't they ?

Here's a digital tray of the eight republican bronze I currently have, showing the respective sizes of the coins between them (right click on the picture to open a new window and have the enlarged version)

0007-Republique-Aeb-2.jpg.1ad775c62bfbb8f90c601edfb0e76f7f.jpg

Thanks for looking

Q

• Like 6