Emperors of Rome - A (Chronological) Portrait Gallery

CPK

2808Procopiussnm.jpg.c85c23c6812405e10c02046f9aa987c1.jpg

Procopius (365-366). AE, Nicomedia. Obv. Diademed and cuirassed bust l. DN PROCO PIVSPFAVG. Rev. REPARATI-O FEL TEMP, Procopius standing facing, head right, holding labarum in right hand, left resting on shield set on the ground; Chi-rho in upper right field and unidentified object at foot left. Mintmark CONSΓ dot. 20 mm, 3.69 gr. RIC IX Constantinople 17a; Sear 19883.

• Like 12

I have selected four coins for Valens; an AE1, 2 Ae3, and a siliqua. Valens-AE1-b.jpg.d61dce866615bc5c8a27f9820fa6c076.jpg

Valens, AE1 - 26x27mm  Nicomedia mint, 364 CE
DN VALEN - S PF AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
RESTITVTOR REIPVBLICAE, Valens standing facing, head right, holding labarum (L) and victoriola (R). In exergue: SMNA

Valens-AE3-2.jpg.17c4a48d4914c44b696383f9af754ea7.jpg

Valens, AE3 -18x19mm   Sirmium mint, 364 CE
RESTITV - TOR REIP, Valens standing facing, head right, holding labarum (L) and victoriola (R).  In exergue: BSIRM

Valens-AE3-3fin.jpg.8ed89cff7bcae44f9e51703ae745c9e6.jpg

Valens, AE3 -18mm   Siscia mint, 364 CE
SECVRITAS - REPVBLICAE, Securitas advancing left holding wreath
In exergue: frond+ASISC

Valens-silq.jpg.538a44002741a2b11c30abda5ea7fc5e.jpg

Valens, Siliqua - 18mm   Antioch mint, 367-375 CE
DN VALENS - PF AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
VOT X MVLT XX in wreath
In exergue: dot+ANT

I have chosen three coins for Procopius (an AE2 and two AE3)  each having a distinctive reverse detail.

Procopius-AE2.jpg.bcc87979d03a0c1ae329e0d75b103c04.jpg

Procopius AE2 - 20x21mm  Constantinople mint; 365-66
DN PROCO - PIVS PF AVG diademed, draped and cuirassed bust left
REPARATIO  FEL TEMP <dot> emperor with labarum (L) and shield (R)
Chi-Rho above(R); mushroom(?) below(L); In exergue: CONSA

Procopius-AE3-1.jpg.af7ad5da2515e625939676b7919448c2.jpg

Procopius AE3 - 19mm  Heraclea mint; 365-66
REPARATI - O FEL TEMP <dot> emperor with labarum (L) and shield (R)
Chi-Rho above(R); dot to(L); In exergue: SMHB

Procopius-AE3-2.jpg.862b1276bba5234ac028a4fe4e8a0bce.jpg

Procopius AE3 - 17x18mm  Constantinople mint; 365-66
REPARATI - O FEL TEMP <dot> emperor with labarum (L) and shield (R)
Chi-Rho above(R); head of wheat(L); In exergue: CONS<gamma>

• Like 13
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

My favorite Gratianus portraits:

gra1.jpg.8aecd4ed9c9e0115f0f00c9651e03961.jpgD N GRATIANVS P F AVG : pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
CONCORDIA AVGGG : Roma, helmeted, seated facing, head left, holding globe and reversed spear; left leg bare
AE 3, Heraclea, A.D. 378-383, SMHA

gra2.jpg.1aae1d2faa4a345e031d241b8576fb1e.jpgD N GRATIA - NVS P F AVG : diademed, draped and cuirassed bust
SECVRITAS - REI PVBLICAE A/* F/?SISC : emperor advancing right, head left, with right hand dragging captive and holding labarum in left
Nummus, Aquileia, AD 375-378, RIC 18b

• Like 11

For Gratianus it has to be a siliqua

e260329243074665b3616d400048ba9f.jpg

Gratianus, Siliqua - Treveri mint
DN GRATIANVS PF AVG, Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
VRBS ROMA, Roma seated left, holding victory and sceptre, TRPS at exergue
2.13 gr
Ref : Cohen # 86, Roman coins # 4133

Q

• Like 9

• Benefactor

I have two Gratians, not counting his appearance with Valens on the reverse of the Valens solidus I posted above. I've never posted the second one before; it comes with a question that I hope someone can at least take a guess at answering, since I couldn't find it addressed anywhere.

Gratian, AR reduced Siliqua, AD 368-375, Trier Mint [Emperor in West, AD 367-383]. Obv. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, D N GRATIA-NVS P F AVG / Rev. Helmeted Roma seated left on throne, holding Victory on globe in right hand, and scepter in left hand, VRBS ROMA; in exergue, TRPS• (Trier Mint; PS = pvsvlatvm, struck from refined silver). RIC IX 27f(1) at p. 19, RSC V 86a, Sear RCV V 19964. 17 mm., 2.0 g. 

image.png.e6b3cfac766bf8cadcf2e2f4f367e1ad.png

Gratian, AE Maiorina, AD 379-383, Siscia [Sisak, Croatia] Mint, 1st Officina. Obv. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, D N GRATIA-NVS P F AVG / Rev. Gratian, in military attire, standing facing, head left, raising with his right hand a turreted female figure* who kneels right before him, and holding Victory on globe in his left hand, REPARATIO – REIPVB; in exergue, mint & officina mark ASISC [A = 1st Officina, SISC = Siscia Mint]. RIC IX Siscia 26(a)1 (p. 150); Sear RCV V 20008 (ill. p. 364); Cohen 30. 23 mm., 4.58 g. Purchased 2 Apr. 2023 from Kirk Davis, Claremont, CA, Cat. No. 81, Spring 2023, Lot 80 (ill. p. 19).

image.jpeg.6dfeb7c879b0d10f3ba6426a98dc38ff.jpeg

*To the best of my knowledge, no authority has attempted to identify this turreted female figure. Even though Gratian was Emperor only in the West at the time this coin was issued, could she theoretically be Constantinopolis, who was often portrayed with a turreted crown? After all, coins with the same reverse legend and depicting the same turreted female figure were issued during the same period in the name of Theodosius I – then Emperor only in the East – in Siscia and elsewhere. I have certainly never seen Roma portrayed with a turreted crown. Could she have been intended as a personification of “the Republic” itself? Among other personifications and deities portrayed with a turreted crown, Cybele and Tyche seem unlikely in this era, and Italia would be too limited to represent the entire Empire, even only in the West.

So: Who is that woman?

• Like 10
  • Cookie 1
  • Cool Think 1

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

I have two Gratians, not counting his appearance with Valens on the reverse of the Valens solidus I posted above. I've never posted the second one before; it comes with a question that I hope someone can at least take a guess at answering, since I couldn't find it addressed anywhere.

Gratian, AR reduced Siliqua, AD 368-375, Trier Mint [Emperor in West, AD 367-383]. Obv. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, D N GRATIA-NVS P F AVG / Rev. Helmeted Roma seated left on throne, holding Victory on globe in right hand, and scepter in left hand, VRBS ROMA; in exergue, TRPS• (Trier Mint; PS = pvsvlatvm, struck from refined silver). RIC IX 27f(1) at p. 19, RSC V 86a, Sear RCV V 19964. 17 mm., 2.0 g. 

image.png.e6b3cfac766bf8cadcf2e2f4f367e1ad.png

Gratian, AE Maiorina, AD 379-383, Siscia [Sisak, Croatia] Mint, 1st Officina. Obv. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, D N GRATIA-NVS P F AVG / Rev. Gratian, in military attire, standing facing, head left, raising with his right hand a turreted female figure* who kneels right before him, and holding Victory on globe in his left hand, REPARATIO – REIPVB; in exergue, mint & officina mark ASISC [A = 1st Officina, SISC = Siscia Mint]. RIC IX Siscia 26(a)1 (p. 150); Sear RCV V 20008 (ill. p. 364); Cohen 30. 23 mm., 4.58 g. Purchased 2 Apr. 2023 from Kirk Davis, Claremont, CA, Cat. No. 81, Spring 2023, Lot 80 (ill. p. 19).

image.jpeg.6dfeb7c879b0d10f3ba6426a98dc38ff.jpeg

*To the best of my knowledge, no authority has attempted to identify this turreted female figure. Even though Gratian was Emperor only in the West at the time this coin was issued, could she theoretically be Constantinopolis, who was often portrayed with a turreted crown? After all, coins with the same reverse legend and depicting the same turreted female figure were issued during the same period in the name of Theodosius I – then Emperor only in the East – in Siscia and elsewhere. I have certainly never seen Roma portrayed with a turreted crown. Could she have been intended as a personification of “the Republic” itself? Among other personifications and deities portrayed with a turreted crown, Cybele and Tyche seem unlikely in this era, and Italia would be too limited to represent the entire Empire, even only in the West.

So: Who is that woman?

I think it’s Italia (Italia turrita). By this point, the concept of Rome as a set of values (rather than the limited meaning of the city itself) was something that could be applied throughout the Empire. The emperors would then be ‘restoring’ those values.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Six items in sets of two of decreasing size from AE2 to AE4. These range over the whole length of his reign.

Gratian-AE2-1b.jpg.1b563eeb5241239c2932e7c817a6d97d.jpg

Gratian AE2 - Rome (or Cyzicus or Heraclea) mint; 378-383
DN GRATIA - NVS PF AVG diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
REPARATIO - REIPUB  Republica (stg) extends right hand to kneeling figure, holds Victoriola in left    In exergue: SMRP
(Here the kneeling figure is distinctively male)

Gratian-AE2-2b.jpg.712b95379d85f28c819ad4bf0cba99d3.jpg

Gratian AE2 - Siscia mint; 378-383
DN GRATIA (*) - NVS PF AVG diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
REPARATIO - REIPUB  Republica (stg) extends right hand to crowned kneeling figure, holds Victoriola in left    In exergue: BSISC
(Here the kneeling figure is distinctively male)
[Of the five examples of this reverse type from various mints in my collection, the kneeling figure appears to be distinctively male.  The female figure Donna has observed/shown appears to be an interesting variation.]

Gratian-AE3-1.jpg.f3479f963f42b827950717d1d0e511fd.jpg

Gratian AE3 - Siscia mint; 367-375
DN GRATIANVS PF AVG diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
GLORIA RO - MANORVM ; Roma (stg) extends right hand to bound kneeling figure, holds labarum with chi-rho in left    In fields: left- F ; right- A above k (in script?)
In exergue: ASISC VE(ligate)

(Not sure what to make of the ligature in the exergue. Anyone?)

Gratian-AE3-1a.jpg.ebf4e4561b37d55d3fec055deb93db06.jpg

Gratian AE3 - Rome mint; 367-375
DN GRATIA - NVS PF AVG diademed, draped (and cuirassed?) bust right
SECVRITAS  REIPVBLICAE; Winged Victory/Security (adv left) holds wreath, clouds? at feet
In exergue: R.PRIMA

(Officina number spelled out.  Unusual motif at feet of reverse figure; is this familiar to anyone. I wish it were clearer.)

Gratian-AE4-1b.jpg.ff412dfd0cb3550f807c09ed7e0e4a85.jpg

Gratian AE4 - Siscia mint; 378-383
DN GRATIA - NVS PF AVG diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
VOT / X X //  MVLT / X X in wreath
In exergue: ASIS_ (on magnification)

Gratian-AE4-2b.jpg.cc623fc5a0cdc30285df120d468ca9fc.jpg

Gratian AE4 - Nicomedia mint; 378-383
DN GRATIA - NVS PF AVG diademed, (draped and cuirassed?) bust right
VOT / X X //  MVLT / XXX in wreath
In exergue: SMNB

• Like 14

• Benefactor
15 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

I think it’s Italia (Italia turrita). By this point, the concept of Rome as a set of values (rather than the limited meaning of the city itself) was something that could be applied throughout the Empire. The emperors would then be ‘restoring’ those values.

So, if the figure is Italia on coins of Gratian, then who is the same figure on coins of Theodosius I in the East? Constantinopolis?

Some Gratian types from my collection:

Ae, Arelate mint (17.0mm, 2.6gms) 

Obv: D N GRATIANVS AVGG AVG; Diademed and cuirassed bust right

Rev: GLORIA NOVI SAECVLI; Emperor standing facing, head left, holding labarum and resting hand on shield; TCON in exergue

Ref: RIC 10

GratianGLORIANOVISAECVLIBB.jpg.29b7e195eb3b477d51a7753b79cd0e78.jpg

AR Siliqua,Siscia mint (19.1mm, 1.8gms) 

Obv: D N GRATIANVS P F AVG; Diademed and cuirassed bust right

Rev: VOT / X / MVLT / XX in four lines within wreath; Chi-Rho in medallion at top of wreath; SISCP in exergue

Ref: RIC 18

GratianSiliquaVOTXMVLTXXBB.jpg.67728bd4c3fe1f91694aaedaaddc24ba.jpg

Edited by O-Towner
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, DonnaML said:

So, if the figure is Italia on coins of Gratian, then who is the same figure on coins of Theodosius I in the East? Constantinopolis?

I'm not an expert, but I think it is also Italia, as a personification of the idea of being 'Roman', as described here. It seems the turreted female figure was partly derived from eastern allegory (Cybele and Tyche) and it was a more common symbol of being Roman in the East than the West. Presumably, there was more need for the concept outside of Italy.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
34 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

I'm not an expert, but I think it is also Italia, as a personification of the idea of being 'Roman', as described here. It seems the turreted female figure was partly derived from eastern allegory (Cybele and Tyche) and it was a more common symbol of being Roman in the East than the West. Presumably, ther Italia, to symbolize being e was more need for the concept outside of Italy.

Thanks. I will read it. Odd that they wouldn't simply use a personification of Roma herself, rather than Italia, to symbolize being Roman. Although of course Roma is never turreted, and I don't recall ever seeing her portrayed as kneeling to an emperor.  She and the emperor are typically shown standing face to face, as on the Hadrian Adventvs type.

What an amazing set of coins you are showing of this relatively unassuming emperor Gratian. Compliments, all of you! 

I only have a very humble coin, but it means a lot to me because it was found not far from the home of my father-in-law. He lived in a little village near Nijmegen (Noviomagus) in the Rhine delta and a local historian offered him this coin with some other Romans for sale, 49 years ago. The coins were found near Elst, now a village, 2000 years ago a local Celtic centre. I don't know the context of this coin, it is pretty late for the Low Countries. Roman legions had left the area half a century earlier. 

My father-in-law died ten years ago and his little coin collection fell to me. It kindled my old numismatic embers, and here we are. 

2839s.jpg.e0926034160e379987bb30d2b1621a88.jpg

AE23 Gratian (367-383), Lugdunum. Obv.: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust r. DNGRATIA NVSPFAVG. Rev.: Emperor standing facing, head left, holding Victory on globe in left hand and raising kneeling, turreted woman with right hand. REPARATIO REIPVB. S in right field. Mintmark LVGS. 23 mm. RIC IX Lyons 28a. Found around Elst (near Noviomagus, between Rhine and Waal).

• Like 9
  • Smile 1

Gratian Siliqua, 367-375
image.jpeg.06daa5ca96cb376dcb5ec100c792df14.jpeg
Treveri. Silver, 2.03g. Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; DN GRATIA-NVS P F AVG. Roma seated left, holding Victory and sceptre; VRBS - ROMA, mintmark TRPS (RIC 27f). From the Otterbourne (Hampshire) Hoard 1978.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 8
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Gratian - one Emperor - three different portraits...

OD-GRATRIC27.png.a78dc98ece1bb66700bd13b675fd6f96.png

Gratian (Flavius Gratianus)
Siliqua of the Roman Imperial Period 378/383 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17.3mm; Weight: 2.12g; Mint: Lugdunum (Lyon); Reference: RIC IX Lugdunum 27; Obverse: Bust of Gratian, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: D N GRATIANVS P F AVG for Dominus Noster Gratianus Pius Felix Augustus (Our Lord Gratian, pious and fortunate emperor); Reverse: Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear. The Inscription reads: VRBS ROMA for Urbs Roma (City of Rome).

OD-GRATRIC27C.png.b054d19355032ba6f36b225eac0c5a7b.png
Siliqua of the Roman Imperial Period 367/375 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17.2mm; Weight: 1.55g; Mint: Treveri (Trier); Reference: RIC IX Treveri 27C; Obverse: Bust of Gratian, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: D N GRATIANVS P F AVG for Dominus Noster Gratianus Pius Felix Augustus (Our Lord Gratian, pious and fortunate emperor); Reverse: Roma seated left on throne, holding Victory on globe and spear. The Inscription reads: VRBS ROMA for Urbs Roma (City of Rome).

OD-GRATRIC27F.png.88472b8dfdc5c11f74e3c8bad2823b13.png
Siliqua of the Roman Imperial Period 367/375 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17.6mm; Weight: 1.96g; Mint: Treveri (Trier); Reference: RIC IX Treveri 27F; Obverse: Bust of Gratian, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: DN GRATIANVS P F AVG for Dominus Noster Gratianus Pius Felix Augustus (Our Lord Gratian, pious and fortunate emperor); Reverse: Roma seated left on throne, holding Victory on globe and sceptre. The Inscription reads: VRBS ROMA for Urbs Roma (City of Rome).

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

A bit above Donna asked: "So: Who is that woman?" after noting, " Could she have been intended as a personification of “the Republic” itself? "

Based on the associated text I think you have put your finger on it with that query.  The figure in question is to be associated with the "REPARATIO REIBVB(LICAE)," i.e. "Restoration of the Republic." Note that the abbreviated word "REIPVB" is a first declension genitive in Latin (republicae).  If we understand the large central figure to be the Imperial personage dujour (Valens or Gratian or whoever), then his gesture is one of elevating the status of the kneeling figure.  The inscription is being given a hyper-literal rendering based upon the grammatical gender of Latin first declension nouns.

The principal claimant to this treatment of this epithet on coinage (per Stevenson "Dictionary") was Valens, but insofar as his coinage coincided, Gratian must have been a co-claimant to the distinction de jure as part of the Imperial majesty.  It was all in a spirit of lighthearted Latin fun.

Edited by lrbguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My 3 favorite ( different ) portraits on the little coins from Valerianus II.

valent2.jpg.df833405b02b58cb803fc13488bbb17c.jpgD N VALENTINIANVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust r.
VOT / X / MVLT / XX : within wreath; in ex.ALEB
AE4, Alexandria, AD 378-383,. RIC IX 13b2

valent3.jpg.a176eed6f7439f79153f1519f5cd074d.jpgDN VALENTINIANUS P F AVG :  Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
GLORIA REI – PUBLICE  A// TES : Camp gate with no doors, 3 layers
Æ3, Thessalonica, AD. 384-389, RIC IX 62(a)2

valent1.jpg.ab4a1d21b0aafe4a3290b3450da2f9e9.jpgD N VALENTINI - ANUS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
VICTOR - IA AVGGG // BSIS : Victory standing left holding wreath and palm
AE4, Siscia, A.D. 384-387, RIC IX 39a2

Edited by mc9
  • Like 10

I have something very special for Valentinian II : it's one of my most appealing 4th century coins 

2958fa81acc14f96bb6d90de0b17c120.jpg

Valentinianus II, AE2 - Constantinople mint, 4th officina
D N VALENTINIANVS P F AVG, Helmeted, diademed, cuirassed bust of Valentinian, holding spear in right hand
GLORIA RO-MANORUM, Valentinain standing on a galley, driven by a victory, Wreath in field, CON delta at exergue
4.93 gr
Ref : RIC # 52, Cohen #22, RC #4161, LRBC #2151

Q

• Like 6
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

• Benefactor

I have only one Valentinian II, a siliqua I picked up rather cheaply at last year's NYINC because of the scratches on the obverse. Which, as is often the case, aren't nearly as noticeable in hand as they are in the magnification of the photo.

Valentinian II, AR reduced Siliqua, AD 375-392, Siscia Mint. Obv. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, DN VALENTINANVS PF AVG / Rev. VOT XV MVLT XX in wreath with star at top; in exergue, SISCPS. RIC 19c(1), RSC V 74Ab, Sear RCV V 20252. 18 mm., 2.00 g. Purchased on Jan. 14, 2022 from Keith Candiotti (Miami, FL) at NYINC 2022.

image.jpeg.0796e56fd882579347146bbb106b5e27.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Cookie 1

• Benefactor
11 hours ago, lrbguy said:

A bit above Donna asked: "So: Who is that woman?" after noting, " Could she have been intended as a personification of “the Republic” itself? "

Based on the associated text I think you have put your finger on it with that query.  The figure in question is to be associated with the "REPARATIO REIBVB(LICAE)," i.e. "Restoration of the Republic." Note that the abbreviated word "REIPVB" is a first declension genitive in Latin (republicae).  If we understand the large central figure to be the Imperial personage dujour (Valens or Gratian or whoever), then his gesture is one of elevating the status of the kneeling figure.  The inscription is being given a hyper-literal rendering based upon the grammatical gender of Latin first declension nouns.

The principal claimant to this treatment of this epithet on coinage (per Stevenson "Dictionary") was Valens, but insofar as his coinage coincided, Gratian must have been a co-claimant to the distinction de jure as part of the Imperial majesty.  It was all in a spirit of lighthearted Latin fun.

That interpretation makes the most sense to me of all the various possibilities, although I admit that I still haven't read the article to which @John Conduitt provided a link. It just seems to me that if the kneeling, turreted figure were really supposed to be Italia on coins of Gratian in the West, then the same exact figure would have to have represented somebody different depending on which emperor depicted her at approximately the same time -- presumably, she would have represented Constantinopolis when depicted on coins issued by Valens and Theodosius I in the East.  A situation which would be a bit odd, in my opinion.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, DonnaML said:

That interpretation makes the most sense to me of all the various possibilities, although I admit that I still haven't read the article to which @John Conduitt provided a link. It just seems to me that if the kneeling, turreted figure were really supposed to be Italia on coins of Gratian in the West, then the same exact figure would have to have represented somebody different depending on which emperor depicted her at approximately the same time -- presumably, she would have represented Constantinopolis when depicted on coins issued by Valens and Theodosius I in the East.  A situation which would be a bit odd, in my opinion.

Or maybe she's supposed to be Roma after all. See the book @John Conduitt linked, "The Idea of Rome in Late Antiquity," at p. 28:

image.png.6d74ca542b54c9d514681e9669346c14.png

This would be news to me, if it's true. On what Greek coinage, precisely, was Roma "usually" portrayed with a corona muralis (mural crown), i.e., as turreted? Tyche and Cybele of course, but Roma? The citation (n. 77) is to the following article:

image.png.980f75b77592a3decfe388ed2b9a0c3e.png

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Or maybe she's supposed to be Roma after all. See the book @John Conduitt linked, "The Idea of Rome in Late Antiquity," at p. 28:

Well, think about it.  While both Roma and Republica are feminine nouns, If the kneeling figure which is being elevated by the attention of the emperor (large central figure) were Roma, wouldn't the coin inscription have mentioned that? (reparatio romae?) Why does it hearken back to Republica?  For many in the east "Roma" was tied to a city; a city they sought to keep at a distance since the time of Diocletian.

• Like 2

Valentinian II Siliqua, 388-392
image.png.4357a19d592fc34b5989a1b01ee01e91.png
Treveri. Silver, 19mm, 1.63g. Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; D N VALENTINI-ANVS P F AVG. Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear; VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; TRPS in exergue (RIC IX, 94a). From the Gussage All Saints (Dorset) Hoard 2010.

• Like 9
  • Cookie 1