Emperors of Rome - A (Chronological) Portrait Gallery

CPK

• Benefactor

I have two coins of Arcadius, both purchased from Dr. Busso Peus Nachf.

The first is a coin I recently bought and haven't posted here before. It comes with a question for which, for some reason, I can't seem to find an answer -- sort of like my question about the identity of the kneeling woman on the reverse of the Gratian REPARATIO REIPVB coin. My new question concerns the meaning of the "T" in the reverse field of this coin of Arcadius:

Eastern Roman Empire, Arcadius (son of Theodosius I and older brother of Honorius, Emperor AD 383-408 [383-395 with father Theodosius I]), AE Maiorina, Alexandria Mint (4th Officina), AD 383-386. Obv. Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, holding transverse spear in right hand and shield over left shoulder, Manus Dei (Hand of God) holding diadem above Emperor’s head, DN ARCAD-IVS PF AVG / Rev. Arcadius, in military attire, standing facing, head left, holding standard with right hand and resting left hand on shield, bound captive with beard seated on ground at feet to left, turning head to look up at Emperor, GLORIA RO-MANORVM; “T” in left field; in exergue, ALE Δ [ALE = Alexandria Mint, Δ (Delta) = 4th Officina]. 22.8 mm., 4.37 g. RIC IX Alexandria 16(2) (p. 302), Sear RCV V 20791 (p. 439, noting that in addition to Officina 1, “officina Δ = 4 [is] also recorded” for the type). Purchased from Dr. Busso Peus Nachf., Frankfurt a.M., Germany, Auction 434, 28 Apr. 2023, Lot 737, ex “Collection of Dr. E.”

image.jpeg.7f99ffc31feee250d4a690534ca2bcc9.jpeg

That "T" can't be a form of cross [edited to add: it's a Tau cross!], because some coins of the period have both a T and a cross in the reverse fields. And it doesn't have anything to do with the mint or the officina number, because it appears on coins of various mints and various officinae within those mints. Perhaps somebody here knows what it means.

The second coin was the first ancient gold coin I ever bought, two years ago. It's still one of my favorites. Not that I have so many! -- four solidi and now just one aureus, given that I'm selling the Vespasian.

Eastern Roman Empire, Arcadius (son of Theodosius I and older brother of Honorius, Emperor 383-408 AD), AV Solidus AD 397-402, Constantinople Mint (9th Officina). Obv. Helmeted and cuirassed bust facing three-quarters right, holding spear over right shoulder and shield on left arm bearing image of horseman right; D N ARCADI-VS P F AVG / Rev. Helmeted Constantinopolis seated facing on throne, head right, with right knee bare and right foot resting on prow, holding long scepter with right hand and, on left hand, Victory with wreath standing on globe; CONCORDI-A AVGG Θ [Theta, for 9th Officina]; in exergue, CONOB [for Constantinople Mint]. RIC X Arcadius 7 at. p. 240 (1994); Depeyrot II Constantinople 55/1 Arcadius at p. 246 (55th emission for city since AD 337) (30 examples of type from 9th Officina; 285 overall) [Depeyrot, George, Les Monnaies d'Or de Constantin II à Zenon (337-491) (Wetteren 1996)]; Dumberton Oaks Catalogue, Late Roman 207-217 (217 = 9th Officina) and Plate 8 [P. Griessen. & M. Mays, Catalogue of Late Roman Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection, etc. (1992)]; Sear RCV V 20706 (ill. p. 431) (1994). 20 mm., 4.44 g. Purchased from Dr. Busso Peus Nachf., Frankfurt, Germany, 1 April 2021. Ex Auktionen Münzhandlung Sonntag Auktion 33 Lot 36 (23.11. 2020); ex Auktion 116 München Münzhandlung Karl Kreß [Kress](Otto Helbing Nachfolger), Lot 729 (28.10.1960).

image.jpeg.a37d373f94b177a0d8209cfb252a0e46.jpeg

Photo from 1960 Karl Kreß auction catalog:

image.jpeg.23e0827bc42666b1fa9065496792b277.jpeg

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 14
  • Cookie 1

My favorite Aelia Eudoxia portrait :

eud1.jpg.680b6fd35f8b7487e5d037d381ecabf6.jpgAEL EVDO - XIA AVG : Diademed and draped bust right; crowning manus Dei above
GLORIA ROMANORVM // ANTA : Aelia seated facing on throne, crossing arms over breast; crowning manus Dei above, cross in right upper field
AE3, Antiochia, A.D.400-404, RIC X 83

• Like 11

Congratulation on the nice coins @DonnaML.

The photos of the solidus give insight into to what degree the shape of the cast can deviate from the shape of the coin itself. Without knowing that the coin was from Auktion 116 München Münzhandlung Karl Kreß, it could be hard to be sure this is the same coin. 
The cast is missing a part under the Arcadius hand on the obverse - there is a gap between the hand and the border on the photo on the coin, but there is no such gap on the cast.
In contrast, there is some flattening on the flan border on the top left of the coin's obverse (also seen on the reverse), but the cast did not capture this detail. 
I often agonise in similar situations, and preserving the recorded provenance record is very helpful.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
33 minutes ago, Rand said:

Congratulation on the nice coins @DonnaML.

The photos of the solidus give insight into to what degree the shape of the cast can deviate from the shape of the coin itself. Without knowing that the coin was from Auktion 116 München Münzhandlung Karl Kreß, it could be hard to be sure this is the same coin. 
The cast is missing a part under the Arcadius hand on the obverse - there is a gap between the hand and the border on the photo on the coin, but there is no such gap on the cast.
In contrast, there is some flattening on the flan border on the top left of the coin's obverse (also seen on the reverse), but the cast did not capture this detail. 
I often agonise in similar situations, and preserving the recorded provenance record is very helpful.

Unfortunately, the resolution of the photo that Dr. Busso Peus Nachf. sent to me of the relevant page from the 1960 catalog was quite low. Perhaps an examination of the original catalog would make it easier to see that it's the same coin. Certainly it's possible to tell that Arcadius's right eye and mouth have the same peculiarities. And the right-hand rim of the reverse looks identical.  But you're correct, I think, that if Busso Peus -- and/or the coin's previous auction house, Münzhandlung Sonntag -- didn't have a record of the provenance, it's quite likely that nobody would ever make the connection.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

From the three coins I have of Arcadius, the best is undoubtedly the AE2 from Alexandria. So here it is with my only example featuring Eudoxia

9310a81e28e64e67a6c804e514cd6df2.jpg

Arcadius, AE 2 - Alexandria mint, 3rd officina
D N ARCADIVS P F AVG, Diademed bust of Arcadius right
VIRTS EXERCITI (sic !), Arcadius, standing right, a captive at right foot, holding globe and standard. ALE gamma at exergue
6.28 gr
Ref : RIC # 18, RC #4230, LRBC #2896 var*

8f03b1fa3c4a4eaabdbfd52ef0a77300.jpg

Eudoxia, AE4 - Antioch mint, 3rd officina
[A]EL EVDOXIA AVG, diademed and draped bust right, above, hand holding wreath
SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Victory seated right, inscribing christogram on shield. [ANT Gamma] at exergue
2.35 gr
Ref : Roman coins # 4241

Based on the observation of another example minted with the same dies and with a visible exergue on reverse, the Antioch's third officina provenance of this coin is now certain. Thanks to Myriam at Nummus Bible II forum for her perspicacity and for providing me with the information

Q

• Like 8
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

@DonnaML I think this is the same coin, even without the auction house records.  I have observed a few coins with the same minute defects as on casts but with slightly different flan shapes, so this could not all be coincidences. 

Being passionate about the find provenances, especially coins that could be from old dispersed Frech migration period hoards, I tried but could not find photographs of old casts besides the original coins. I will keep your photo as the best evidence I have seen.

I previously posted my coin similar to Ratto’s but with some flan deviations - I would prefer it not to be Ratto’s coins for the sake of putting together a die puzzle (a non-academic fancy). https://www.numisforums.com/topic/3703-interesting-thread-on-reddit-about-roma-numismatics-and-the-apparent-arrest-of-richard-beale/?do=findComment&comment=46490

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

That "T" can't be a form of cross, because some coins of the period have both a T and a cross in the reverse fields. And it doesn't have anything to do with the mint or the officina number, because it appears on coins of various mints and various officinae within those mints. Perhaps somebody here knows what it means.

Not sure why you say it "can't be a form of cross."  The Tau cross was an ancient form that was used for the crucifixion of St. Antony.   Since T was the symbol for numeral 300 some of the Ante-Nicene church fathers associate the figure with the cross of Christ (as alternative to Latin cross.  When I get to it I will be showing a coin with both the Latin cross and Greek "tau" cross, which I suspect was intended to show respect to both of the main Christian faith traditions of a divided empire.

220px-Croix_de_Saint_Antoine.svg.png

Edit: Come to think of it I showed one of each in my selections for Ael. Flacilla.  A Latin cross from Constantinople, and a Tau cross from Antioch.

Edited by lrbguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
21 minutes ago, lrbguy said:

Not sure why you say it "can't be a form of cross."  The Tau cross was an ancient form that was used for the crucifixion of St. Antony.   Since T was the symbol for numeral 300 some of the Ante-Nicene church fathers associate the figure with the cross of Christ (as alternative to Latin cross.  When I get to it I will be showing a coin with both the Latin cross and Greek "tau" cross, which I suspect was intended to show respect to both of the main Christian faith traditions of a divided empire.

Edit: Come to think of it I showed one of each in my selections for Ael. Flacilla.  A Latin cross from Constantinople, and a Tau cross from Antioch.

Thanks for the correction and explanation! I don't know why none of the references seem to mention that the T is simply another kind of cross. 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
30 minutes ago, Rand said:

@DonnaML I think this is the same coin, even without the auction house records.  I have observed a few coins with the same minute defects as on casts but with slightly different flan shapes, so this could not all be coincidences. 

Being passionate about the find provenances, especially coins that could be from old dispersed Frech migration period hoards, I tried but could not find photographs of old casts besides the original coins. I will keep your photo as the best evidence I have seen.

I previously posted my coin similar to Ratto’s but with some flan deviations - I would prefer it not to be Ratto’s coins for the sake of putting together a die puzzle (a non-academic fancy). https://www.numisforums.com/topic/3703-interesting-thread-on-reddit-about-roma-numismatics-and-the-apparent-arrest-of-richard-beale/?do=findComment&comment=46490

As I mentioned in that other thread, sometimes perceived differences in the shape of a coin in hand and an old cast photo may simply result from cropping of the old photo before printing,  rather than from an actual different shape.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A couple more Arcadius Ae types:

Obv: D N ARCADIVS P F AVG; Diademed and cuirassed bust right

Rev: GLORIA ROMANORVM; Emperor on horseback right and raising right hand; ANTΓ in exergue

Ref: RIC IX Antioch 69 (16.0mm, 1.5gms)

ArcadiusAEGLORIAROMANORVMBB.jpg.e61447bece1bdc18954304fd2bad1beb.jpg

Obv: D N ARCADIVS P F AVG; Diademed and cuirassed bust right

Rev: VOT V within wreath; CONΓ in exergue

Ref: RIC IX Constantinople 62b (15.0mm, 1.4gms)

An interestingly very disproportionate bust of Arcadius on this type.

ArcadiusAEVOTVBB.jpg.5dade5b1788db5da592325b70b4020b5.jpg

• Like 12

• Benefactor
21 hours ago, lrbguy said:

It occurs to me that I probably should have realized that the "T" in the field of the Arcadius coin might be a Greek Tau cross, given that the reverse of my Valentinian I solidus posted above, minted in Antioch, shows the Emperor holding what is likely a vexillum with a Tau cross:

image.jpeg.d0f380c028ad4753bf74d148cd5a46e3.jpeg

• Like 3

the reverse of my Valentinian I solidus posted above, minted in Antioch, shows the Emperor holding what is likely a vexillum with a Tau cross

While there is no direct familial lineage from Arcadius to Valentinian (since Theodosius was a General and the son of a General who had served under Valentinian) from the standpoint of this distinctive style of cross there is a strong point of connection via the mint at Antioch.  All of the coins we have been looking at so far which bear the Tau cross came from that mint, whilst the neighboring mints, such as Alexandria, tended to use the Latin cross.  I find that a bit odd, since it is throughout the west that we find the highest concentration of Greek speakers in the late empire, and that is the heritage which continues beyond the end of empire into the so-called Byzantine period. 

• Like 2

• Benefactor
14 minutes ago, lrbguy said:

While there is no direct familial lineage from Arcadius to Valentinian (since Theodosius was a General and the son of a General who had served under Valentinian) from the standpoint of this distinctive style of cross there is a strong point of connection via the mint at Antioch.  All of the coins we have been looking at so far which bear the Tau cross came from that mint, whilst the neighboring mints, such as Alexandria, tended to use the Latin cross.  I find that a bit odd, since it is throughout the west that we find the highest concentration of Greek speakers in the late empire, and that is the heritage which continues beyond the end of empire into the so-called Byzantine period. 

But my Arcadius bronze with the T that you identified as a Tau cross was, in fact, minted in Alexandria.

• Like 1

But my Arcadius bronze with the T that you identified as a Tau cross was, in fact, minted in Alexandria.

Ah!  Actually, that's good.  I hate it when a trend is too localized.  I'm glad to be wrong about Alexandria in this case.  I also noticed that Antioch also used the Latin cross on their mint product, apparently more often than not.  So it swings both ways. 

Be all that as it may, I think we are safe in attributing the use of such a symbol to a Greek influence.  Whether we find that in the preferences and policies of the mints or those above them or some other source remains to be sorted out.

• Like 2

I'm nearly out of this game...

Arcadius Siliqua, 392-395
image.png.6c3aa26022a82756268deaef61807c1a.png
Treveri. Silver, 17mm, 1.34g. Pearl-diademed draped and cuirassed bust right; DN ARCADI-VS PF AVG. Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and inverted spear; VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; mintmark TRPS (RIC IX, 106b (sceptre)). From the Thruxton (Hampshire) Hoard 2014. Portable Antiquities Scheme: GLO-9D7F36.

• Like 12

These boys are coming up late, but here they come (such as they are). 

Magnus Maximus

MagMaxm-AE2b.jpg.95d0c26f3c118525f33f72cae9944ec4.jpg

Magnus Maximus, AE2 - 21x22mm   Constantinople mint, 383-388
DN MAG MAXI - MVS PF AVG  pearl diadem, draped and cuirassed bust right
REPARATI - O - REIPVB  Emperor (stg) extends right hand to crowned kneeling figure, holds Victoriola in left    In exergue:     <delta>CON

MagMaxm-AE4b.jpg.a10e039e494f7266907332365b709b6f.jpg

Magnus Maximus, AE4 - 13mm   Aquilea mint, 387-388
DN MAG MA - XIMVS PF AVG  pearl diadem, draped and cuirassed bust right
SPES RO - MA - NORVM   5-layer campgate; 2 turrets, star between
In exergue: SMAQP

FLAVIUS VICTOR

FlaVic-AE4-1b.jpg.5cf04499f9cd4dad50a702dad3c4146f.jpg

Flavius Victor, AE4 - 13mm   Aquilea mint, 387-388
DN FL VIC - TOR PF AVG  pearl diadem, draped and cuirassed bust right
SPES RO - MA - NORVM   6-layer campgate; 2 turrets, star between
In exergue: SMAQP

FlaVic-AE4-2b.jpg.39adefba17954f66a3b77a9c61827a31.jpg

Flavius Victor, AE4 - 13mm   Aquilea mint, 387-388
DN FL VIC - TOR PF AVG  pearl diadem, draped and cuirassed bust right
SPES RO - MA - NORVM   6-layer campgate; 2 turrets, star between
In exergue: SMAQ?

• Like 11

And here are a few varieties for Arcadius (and one more for his wife). 

Arcadius-AE2-1b.jpg.8582c37075c9157e136b38d0685a0d43.jpg

Arcadius AE2 - Antioch mint; 383-408
DN ARCAD - IVS PF AVG hand above bestows nimbus, draped and cuirassed holding spear r.
GLORIA RO - MANORVM ; emperor with labarum (L) and shield (R), to left bound kneeling figure
In exergue: *ANTS

Arcadius-AE3-1b.jpg.164213ea9663659920dd436aefc647d9.jpg

Arcadius AE3 - Cyzicus mint; 383-408
DN ARCADI - VS PF AVG  helmeted and cuirassed, holding shield with cross to r.
CONCORDI - A AVGG CO    Concord enthroned holds staff in R hand and Victoria on orb in L
In exergue: SMKA

Arcadius-AE4-1b.jpg.fe7a7907e25a7bcc7553d87b58aae13f.jpg

Arcadius AE4 - Cyzicus mint; 383-408
DN ARCADIVS PF AVG  draped and cuirassed bust right
SALVS REI - PVBLICAE   Victory adv. L carrying carrying trophy and dragging captive
In left field: staurogram **                 In exergue: SMK<gamma>

(**The staurogram blends the letters tau & rho from the Greek word σταυρός (stauros), which in the New Testament refers to the structure on which Jesus died.  It first appears in early New Testament papyri.)

[Sorry for the wrong description earlier; wrong batch]

Arcadius-AE4-2b.jpg.5577766839fb9deafa436c2f3e408bdf.jpg

Arcadius AE4 - Thessalonika mint; 383-388
DN ARCADIVS PF AVG  diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
GLORIA REI - PVBLICE   7-layer campgate with 2-layer towers, entrance 5-layers tall
Left field: <gamma> [officina]     In exergue: TES

Arcadius-AE4-3xb.jpg.8f453ba819bbe604d35115d9f2b8be5c.jpg

Arcadius AE4 - 10mm   Nicomedia mint; 404-406  (RIC 10)
DN ARCADI - VS PF AVG  diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
CONCOR - DIAE AVGGG   empty Latin cross on plane
In exergue: SMNA

AELIA EUDOXIA

Eudoxia-AE3-1b2.jpg.b2bb7df29a7335c3a2b01b69b8662d67.jpg

Aelia Eudoxia AE3 - Antioch mint; 383-408
AEL EVDO - XIA AVG  Nimbate, wearing 2 strand pearl diadem & necklace r.
SALVS REI - PVBLICAE  Victory seated on cuirass r, writing chi-rho on shield set atop cippus
In exergue: ANT ?

Edited by lrbguy
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
7 hours ago, lrbguy said:

And here are a few varieties for Arcadius (and one more for his wife). 

Arcadius-AE2-1b.jpg.8582c37075c9157e136b38d0685a0d43.jpg

Arcadius AE2 - Antioch mint; 383-408
DN ARCAD - IVS PF AVG hand above bestows nimbus, draped and cuirassed holding spear r.
GLORIA RO - MANORVM ; emperor with labarum (L) and shield (R), to left bound kneeling figure
In exergue: *ANTS

Arcadius-AE3-1b.jpg.164213ea9663659920dd436aefc647d9.jpg

Arcadius AE3 - Cyzicus mint; 383-408
DN ARCADI - VS PF AVG  helmeted and cuirassed, holding shield with cross to r.
CONCORDI - A AVGG CO    Concord enthroned holds staff in R hand and Victoria on orb in L
In exergue: SMKA

Arcadius-AE4-1b.jpg.fe7a7907e25a7bcc7553d87b58aae13f.jpg

Arcadius AE4 - Cyzicus mint; 383-408
DN ARCADIVS PF AVG  draped and cuirassed bust right
In left field: staurogram **                 In exergue: SMK<gamma>

(**The staurogram blends the letters tau & rho from the Greek word σταυρός (stauros), which in the New Testament refers to the structure on which Jesus died.  It first appears in early New Testament papyri.)

Arcadius-AE4-2b.jpg.5577766839fb9deafa436c2f3e408bdf.jpg

Arcadius AE4 - Thessalonika mint; 383-388
DN ARCADIVS PF AVG  diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
GLORIA REI - PVBLICE   7-layer campgate with 2-layer towers, entrance 5-layers tall
Left field: <gamma> [officina]     In exergue: TES

Arcadius-AE4-3xb.jpg.8f453ba819bbe604d35115d9f2b8be5c.jpg

Arcadius AE4 - 10mm   Nicomedia mint; 404-406  (RIC 10)
DN ARCADI - VS PF AVG  diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
CONCOR - DIAE AVGGG   empty Latin cross on plane
In exergue: SMNA

AELIA EUDOXIA

SALVS REI - PVBLICAE  Victory seated on cuirass r, writing chi-rho on shield set atop cippus

I also thought I had a frontal facing Arcadius helmeted with spear type, though it turns out it is Honorius instead.

11 hours ago, lrbguy said:

AELIA EUDOXIA

It is indeed Antioch

Q

1 hour ago, Qcumbor said:

It is indeed Antioch

Q

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the ambiguity. The question mark was for the officina, not for the mint. My notation must have been a bit too cryptic.  I'll have to figure out another way to signal when I can't find/read an officina mark. 

RIC does not list this type for an AE3, but does for an AE2 and for a small module AE4.  It does note a larger module AE4 at 14-16mm, but not for this reverse type for Eudoxia.  Since I did not give the measurement (15.48mm), the whole thing was out to sea.  If I were to call it a small AE2, then the officina would be "Beta" but if it were the small mod AE4 the officina would be "Epsilon."  This one falls through the cracks, but then again, RIC IX came out in 1933, and I don't know the latest wisdom on this one.  Does anybody know?

• Like 1

Let me just squeak in these Arcadius and a Eudoxia. Probably my favourite Arcadius is this facing bust, the first we see in AE:

image.jpeg.d7340e50c39781143ad640d38f25c036.jpeg

I also like this little thing:

image.jpeg.104ce4567f3185e59cda41f714451157.jpeg

I quite like the style on this Alexandria:

image.jpeg.f9c9cc58e3c0d30b0af10b2ed5758ec0.jpeg

And how dopey he looks on this Nicomedia:

image.jpeg.06f78e237c804bd33e1fc9e2f404e5b1.jpeg

Finally, here’s the better of my two Eudoxia portraits (it seems quite difficult to find nice coins for her!)

image.jpeg.2b49e38c939d3d585762629252db250f.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Cool Think 1

ho3.jpg.2ddb550f8a9adc92edf8a14208065000.jpgD N HONORI-VS P F AVG : diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
VIRTVS - EXERCITI // SMHA : Honorius standing facing, head right, resting on grounded spear and shield; to his right, Victory standing facing, head left, crowning him with a wreath
Centenionalis, Heraclea, A.D. 395-402, RIC 59

ho2.jpg.477887b26b510cdb2712e6a91f620fa1.jpgD N HONORI-VS P F AVG : Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; in field to left, star
GLORI-A ROMA-NORVM // SMKB : Three emperors standing front; to left and right, Arcadius and Honorius standing facing each other, holding spear and shield; between them, Theodosius II, smaller, standing facing, head turned to right, holding spear in his right hand and globe in his left
Follis, Cyzicus, A.D.406-408, RIC X 149

ho1.jpg.a4b6c6e2415edd788170bf288479e5a0.jpg

D N HONORIVS P F AVG : Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
GLORIA ROMANORVM // ANTA : Honorius on horseback to right, raising his right hand
Follis, Antiochia, A.D.392-395, RIC 69e

ho4.jpg.40c6a9ed29d6e200e2dea7e38369d20e.jpg

D N HONORI-VS P F AVG : Bust of Honorius, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed, right, star behind
GLORI-A ROMA-NORVM // TESA : Honorius and Theodosius II standing facing, heads toward one another, each holding a spear in outer hand and resting inner hand on shield
Follis, Thessalonica, A.D. 408-423, RIC X 395

Edited by mc9
  • Like 10

On 5/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, mc9 said:

Silver:arc1.jpg.ada424c022809ea2bd36639a1c310679.jpgDN ARCADIUSPFAVG : Diademed and draped bust right
SALUS REI – PUBLICAE : Victory with trophy shouldered, head left, dragging captive
Half siliqua, Cyzicus, A.D. 388-392, RIC X 26c ; not in RIC for silver

Are you sure this coin is silver, @mc9? Could it just appear so due to some unusual patination? (The flan crack at 9 o’clock on the rev. will be useful for checking this.)

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Here's one....facing portrait of Honorius...from an uncleaned batch so not a bad find, though cleaning is needed...did a bit of mechanical work with a toothbrush and distilled water which revealed the bust. The reverse is quite stubborn.

Honorius AE3. Constantinople, AD 401-403.

DN HONORIVS PF AVG, helmeted, diademed, cuirassed facing bust, spear across right shoulder, shield decorated with an X behind left shoulder

CONCORDIA AVGG, Constantinopolis seated with head turned right, holding Victory on a globe and sceptre; right foot on prow. Mintmark CONSA. RIC X 88; Sear 20992.

honorius1.jpg.b3df9c195757979b22608b16318007e7.jpg

honorius2.jpg

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 10