Emperors of Rome - A (Chronological) Portrait Gallery

CPK

normal_Domitian_2.jpg.f41664a0db5b31803c42b5992f2730f1.jpg

Domitianus
AR-Denar AD 93-94
Obv.: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM PM TRPXIII, laureate bust right
Rev.: : IMP XXII COS XVI CENS PPP, Minerva standing r. on prow, holding spear and shield; at her feet owl.
Ag, 3.18g, 17.2x18.8mm
Ref.: RIC² 762, RIC176, C 284, Kankelfitz 12

• Like 19

I bought this one due to its imo interesting reverse design also it has a beautiful toning...normal_DOMITIAN_WHITE__1_-removebg-preview.png.308b8a7c51fcfb227ba6bafa363f9b5c.png

Domitian. 81-96 AR Denarius (3.17 gm, 18mm). Rome mint. Struck 81 AD.
Obv.: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M, laureate head right.
Rev.: TR P COS VII DES VIII P P, tripod surmounted by a dolphin right. RICII# 74.
These early type portraits are my favourite and coupled with an interesting reverse, the tripod and dolphin, being symbols of Apollo.

• Like 20

Oh Domitian, there are some. I'll try to focus on the coins that I find the most beautiful. Of course, as always, it's a matter of taste. I'll start with the Minerva types that I particularly liked and then the rest of the types that I have.

image.jpeg.0bc3dfd594526bf7cb68d4261ff029f2.jpeg

Titus Flavius Domitianus as Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus.
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 93/94 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.50g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 764; Provenance: Superior Galleries Numismatics New York; Obverse: Head of Domitian, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P XIII for Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus Germanicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Tertia Decima (Imperator, Caesar, Domitian, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, high priest, holder of tribunician power for the 13th time); Reverse: Minerva standing left, holding spear. The Inscription reads: IMP XXII COS XVI CENS P P P for Imperator Secundum Vicesimum, Consul Sextum Decimum, Censor Perpetuus, Pater Patriae (Imperator for the 22nd time, consul for the 16th time, censor for life, father of the nation).

image.jpeg.59894c78b9429d8e8033386269921793.jpeg

Titus Flavius Domitianus, Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 95/96 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18.5mm; Weight: 3.57g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 788, Cohen 293; Provenance: Ex Stephen Album Rare Coins Santa Rosa; Provenance: Ex Numismatica Ars Classica Auction 4/A (1991), Lot 1791; Obverse: Head of Domitian, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P XV for Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus Germanicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Quinta Decima (Imperator, Caesar, Domitian, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, high priest, holder of tribunician power for the 15th time); Reverse: Minerva standing right on top of rostral column, holding spear and shield; owl right. The Inscription reads: IMP XXII COS XVII CENS P P P for Imperator Secundum Vicesimum, Consul Septimum Decimum, Censor Perpetuus, Pater Patriae (Imperator for the 22nd time, consul for the 17th time, censor for life, father of the nation).

image.jpeg.1caa54d1c7201c1a654c962377d57b34.jpeg

Titus Flavius Domitianus as Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus.
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 87 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.33g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 509; Provenance: Ex Nomisma Numismatico San Marino; Obverse: Head of Domitian, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P VI for Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus Germanicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Sexta (Imperator, Caesar, Domitian, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, high priest, holder of tribunician power for the sixth time); Reverse: Minerva standing left, holding thunderbolt and spear; shield at side. The Inscription reads: IMP XIIII COS XIII CENS P P P for Imperator Quartum Decimum, Consul Tertium Decimum, Censor Perpetuus, Pater Patriae (Imperator for the 14th time, consul for the 13th time, censor for life, father of the nation).

image.jpeg.90207d09caf2f204b7fa8357b137f791.jpeg

Titus Flavius Domitianus as Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus
Subaratus Fourrée Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period after 84 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 2.89g; Mint: Imitating the Rome mint; Reference: For prototype, cf. RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 188; Provenance: Ex Leu Numismatic Winterthur Swiss; Obverse: Bust of Domitian, laureate and draped, left. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG GERMANIC for Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus Germanicus (Imperator, Caesar, Domitian, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans); Reverse: Minerva standing left, holding thunderbolt and spear; shield at side. The Inscription reads: P M TR POT III IMP V COS X P P for Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Tertia, Imperator Quintum, Consul Decimum, Pater Patriae (High priest, holder of tribunician power for the third time, Imperator for the fifth time, consul for the tenth time, father of the nation).

A ancient imitating of an very rare Domitianus type.

And now my "non-Minerva" coins...

DOMITRIC144b.jpg.11e0a0ea4544498bb9ca781667855947.jpg

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 82/83 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.79g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 144b; Provenance: Ex Tauler & Fau Numismatics Madrid Spain include Certificate of Authenticity; Provenance: Ex Jean Gustav Prudent Collection; Obverse: Head of Domitian, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M for Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus, Pontifex Maximus (Imperator, Caesar, Domitian, Augustus, high priest); Reverse: Eagle standing front on thunderbolt, head left, wings spread. The Inscription reads: IVPPITER CONSERVATOR for Iuppiter Conservator (Jupiter, the protector).

DOMITRIC267.jpg.638d8a213e58fdc25cfed33b14994114.jpg

Titus Flavius Domitianus as Caesar under Titus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 80/81 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17mm; Weight: 3.31g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 267; Provenance: Ex CGB.fr Numismatique Paris France; Obverse: Head of Domitian, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: CAESAR DIVI F DOMITIANVS COS VII for Caesar, Divi Filius, Domitianus, Consul Septimum (Caesar, son of the divine, Domitian, consul for the seventh time); Reverse: Goat standing left, within laurel wreath. The Inscription reads: PRINCEPS IVVENTVTIS for Principes Juventutis (Prince of the youth).

DOMIRIC604.jpg.618d4c34d73db9b1555762c0714622ad.jpg

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 88 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.16g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 604; Provenance: Ex Harmers of London Numismatics; Obverse: Head of Domitian, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P VIII for Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus Germanicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Octava (Imperator, Caesar, Domitian, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, high priest, holder of tribunician power for the eighth time); Reverse: Legend and column inscribed LVD SAEC FEC within laurel wreath with COS XIIII for Ludos saeculares fecit (He made the secular games) and Consul Quartum Decimum (Consul for the 14th time).

DOMITRIC96.jpg.e6ed40709e1065fcf0138e5c700a4492.jpg

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 82 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.18g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 96; Provenance: Leu Numismatics Winterthur, Switzerland; Obverse: Laureate head of Domitian to right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M for Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus Pontifex Maximus (Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus, High priest); Reverse: Dolphin coiled around anchor. The Inscription reads: TR POT COS VIII P P for Tribunicia Potestate Consul VIII Pater Patriae (Tribunician power, Consul for the eighth time, Father of the Country).

DOMITRIC921.jpg.137bc8f5778e1d808c6c4bd4f9b7fcbc.jpg

Titus Flavius Domitianus as Caesar
Fourrée Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 76/77 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.01g; Mint: Imitating the Rome mint; Reference: For prototype, cf. RIC II.1 921 (Vespasian), BMCRE 193 (Vespasian) and RSC 47; Provenance: Ex Roma Numnismatics London; Pedigre: From the J. Greiff Collection, assembled prior to 1998; Obverse: Head of Domitian, laureate, right. The Inscripotion reads: CAESAR AVG F DOMITIANVS for Caesar Augusti FIlius Domitianus (Caesar, son of the Augustus, Domitian); Reverse: Pegasus standing right, left foreleg raised, wings curling up on back. The Inscription reads: COS IIII for Consul Quartum (Consul for the fourth time).

DOMITRIC100.jpg.e31b54673cb90cb841e8864d609123e8.jpg

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 82 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.50g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 100; Provenance: Ex Aureo & Calico Numismatica Barcelona Spain; Obverse: Head of Domitian, laureate, right. The Inscripotion reads: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M for Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus, Pontifex Maximus (Imperator, Caesar, Domitian, Augustus, high priest); Reverse: Square seat, draped; semicircular frame with three crescents above. The Inscription reads: TR POT COS VIII P P for Tribunicia Potestate, Consul Octavum, Pater Patriae (Holder of tribunician power, consul for the eighth time, father of the nation).

DOMITRIC1084.jpg.6db8215450340309fcd7152fbc151dc5.jpg

Titus Flavius Domitianus as Caesar
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 79 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.43g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Vespasian 1084; Provenance: Ex Leu Numismatic Winterthur, Switzerland; Obverse: Head of Domitian, laureate, right. The Inscripotion reads: CAESAR AVG F DOMITIANVS COS VI for Caesar Augustus Filius Domitianus Consul VI (Caesar, son of the emperor, Domitianus, Consul for the sixth time); Reverse: Salus standing right with her legs crossed, resting her left arm on column, holding serpent in her right hand and patera in her left. The Inscription reads: PRINCEPS IVVENTVTIS for Principes Iuventutis (Prince of the youth).

• Like 14
  • Popcorn 1
  • Mind blown 2
  • Heart Eyes 10

15 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Thanks, @Limes!  I love the portrait on your Jupiter denarius too, a very similar coin occupied my portrait slot for many years. 

As far as I know the As is from the Rome mint. There are a number of very nice left-facing dies on the AEs from this period, as @David Atherton could confirm. (We need your favourite Flavian portraits, David! ☺️)

It is from the Rome mint. Lovely portrait on that one too.

Favourite portraits? ... hmmm ... I'll give you one of each.

Vespasian https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=160572

Titus https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=8100

Domitian https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=156227

Ask me another day and they'll be different!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 7

domitan-moneta-as-jpg.1280338

Domitian. (AD 81-96). Æ As. (29mm, 13.19 g). Rome mint.

Struck (AD 86).

OBVERSE: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XII CENS PER P P; Laureate bust right, wearing aegis.

REVERSE: MONETA AVGVSTI / S - C; Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopia.

RIC II.1 493 

• Like 19
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

His wife

normal_R658_Domitia_fac.jpg.c84702e78f0bb894ce6f2717325c8bc4.jpg

Domitia
Ionia, Ephesus
Cistophorus (AD 82-96).
Obv.: DOMITIA AVGVSTA, Draped bust right.
Rev.: VENVS AVG, Venus standing right, back facing, leaning upon column to left, holding helmet and sceptre.
Ag, 10.39g, 26mm
Ref.: RIC² 847 (Domitian); RPC II 870.

• Like 18

I think we need at least one Flavian in drag in this section. Here's Titus dressed up as Tyche! 😄 

image.jpeg.a56ccc5aa178923c40da389c086e2df0.jpeg

Seleukis and Pieria, Antioch Æ 21mm. Pseudo-autonomous issue. Struck under magistrate L. Ceionius Commodus, dated CY 188 = AD 79/80. Turreted, veiled and draped bust of Tyche, with the features of Titus, to left; [ΕΠΙ Κ]ΟΜΟΔΟΥ before, palm and ΗΠΡ (date) behind / ϹΕΛΕΥΚΕWΝ ΤΗϹ ΙΕΡΑϹ ΚΑΙ ΑΥΤΟΝΟΜΟΥ, thunderbolt on cushion placed on stool; all within wreath. RPC II 2025B; RG 7266; CNG E257, lot 294. 6.98g, 21mm, 12h.

• Like 17
  • Cool Think 1
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

AE 28 of Antioch, Coele-Syria (hence SC on the reverse).

I am reasonably certain that the "S C" on Antioch bronze coins does not refer to Syria-Coele.  See this portion of my footnote to a Philip I AE Octassarion from Antioch, citing McAlee [Richard McAlee, The Coins of Roman Antioch (2007)]:

S – C (Senatus Consulto): See the extensive discussion at McAlee pp. 3-5, stating "There seems to be no doubt that the letters SC on the aes coins of Antioch . . . meant 'Senatus Consulto' and served an analogous or identical function as on the coins of Rome." He goes on to state that “the letters SC on the coins of Antioch . . . mean[], in effect, ‘Roman currency” (as opposed to their meaning on earlier Imperial coins, signifying Senatorial authorization of a particular issue). His summary and conclusion can be found at McAlee p. 5:

image.png.cf909ba75d9ded227e74d351e46066cc.png

• Like 7

• Benefactor
28 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I am reasonably certain that the "S C" on Antioch bronze coins does not refer to Syria-Coele.  See this portion of my footnote to a Philip I AE Octassarion from Antioch, citing McAlee [Richard McAlee, The Coins of Roman Antioch (2007)]:

S – C (Senatus Consulto): See the extensive discussion at McAlee pp. 3-5, stating "There seems to be no doubt that the letters SC on the aes coins of Antioch . . . meant 'Senatus Consulto' and served an analogous or identical function as on the coins of Rome." He goes on to state that “the letters SC on the coins of Antioch . . . mean[], in effect, ‘Roman currency” (as opposed to their meaning on earlier Imperial coins, signifying Senatorial authorization of a particular issue). His summary and conclusion can be found at McAlee p. 5:

image.png.cf909ba75d9ded227e74d351e46066cc.png

McAlee's discussion of SC reminds me that I have a double sestertius of Postumus which also has S-C on the reverse, and the emperor standing in military attire. In that case SC would not refer to the Roman Senate as Postumus ruled the breakaway Gallic Empire, but may as you suggest refer to "Roman" or "Imperial Coinage." The same argument could be advanced for Domitian and others who struck these bronze pieces (presumably equivalent to the Imperial As. ) I previously however was corrected on coin talk when I referred to SC on the Domitian coin as Senatus Consulto. At any rate McAlee and other scholars in this vein appear to be correct.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
12 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

McAlee's discussion of SC reminds me that I have a double sestertius of Postumus which also has S-C on the reverse, and the emperor standing in military attire. In that case SC would not refer to the Roman Senate as Postumus ruled the breakaway Gallic Empire, but may as you suggest refer to "Roman" or "Imperial Coinage." 

I think the literal meaning of the S C would always and in every location have been "Senatus Consulto," on the theory that the applicable Senatorial authorization of certain coinage was a blanket, perpetual authorization that took place in 23 BCE, rather than a specific authorization limited to a particular issue. At least according to McAlee, "Roman currency" was the symbolic and/or customary meaning that took hold over time. He specifically mentions Lugdunum; is that where the Postumus sestertius you mention was minted?

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
1 minute ago, DonnaML said:

I think the literal meaning of the S C would always and in every location have been "Senatus Consulto," on the theory that the applicable Senatorial authorization of certain coinage was a blanket, perpetual authorization that took place in 23 BCE, rather than a specific authorization limited to a particular issue. At least according to McAlee, "Roman currency" was the symbolic and/or customary meaning that took hold over time. He specifically mentions Lugdunum; is that where the Postumus sestertius you mention was minted?

Yes, Lugdunum

• Like 1

@Ancient Coin Hunter and @DonnaML, Postumus set up his own senate and adopted much of previous Roman law wholesale, thus it would have been assumed in his territories that the 23 BCE law on the books would have applied to his own coinage.

Here's one of Postumus's earliest issues, a sestertius proclaiming the restitution of Gaul. No SC, so perhaps before he established his new Senate?

image.jpeg.2d0b96fc42f08fa0a0c9f711fabc46ee.jpeg

And here's a double sestertius with the S C...

image.jpeg.dcce1b90a99f1b0845aced1a4c62416b.jpeg

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 10

DomitianTet.jpg.3d5c7f5edc66ef2ca09c19d6e0f9a05f.jpg

IMP CAES DOMITIANVS
Laureate head of Domitian right

AVG GERM
Six ears of corn; P in exergue

Rome for circulation in Asia
circa 95 AD
10.17g
RPC 874/1, RIC 853 (R)
RPC lists 9 examples but only one with the P in exergue

DomitianVictrix.jpg.499eb51ed064d8eebb237168d46c12e4.jpg

IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM PM TRP XV
Laureate head right

IMP XXII COS XVII CENS PPP
Minerva, winged, flying left with spear and shield

Rome September 14, 95 AD-September 13, 96 CE
3.15g
RIC 791 (C)

DomitianFortuna.jpg.f0a6b6f2d173b3732cbc176883a3b2b3.jpg

IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XIII CENS PER PP

FORTVNAE AVGVSTI SC
Fortuna standing left holding rudder and cornucopiae

Rome 87 AD
10.9g
RIC 544 (C3)

Domitian_Eagle.jpg.5395d8a57b32c8db749a2f23c80d5e4f.jpg

IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M

IVPPITER CONSERVATOR
Eagle standing front on thunderbolt, wings outspread, head left

Rome 82-83 AD
3.37g
RIC 144 (R)

Domitian_wreath.jpg.6d503e626383f10887961aa85a6c9c8d.jpg

IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG PM
Laureate head right

TR P COS VII DES VIII
Curule chair, wreath above

Rome, September 13-December 31, 81 AD
3.5g
RIC 48 (C)

• Like 17
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Domitia...Picked up this one as it was the most feminine'ish portrait I could find within my budget...

843827113_normal_domitia(1).jpg.41a17c655699c345863b2fb301350d95.jpg

Phrygia, Eumeneia (near Civril, Turkey). Domitia, 81-96 AD. Bronze AE 15mm (2.47 gm).
Obv.: ΔOMITIA CEBACTH, Draped bust right. Hair rolled in front and in que behind,
Rev.: ΚΛ• ΤEΡEΝΤΥΛΛΑ ΑΡΧΙE /EΥΜE-ΝE-ΩΝ, Kybele enthroned to left, Patera in extended right hand, resting left forearm and hand on Tympanum (drum) at near side
RPC II 1388. Rare. gVF.

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

The Flavian dynasty came to an end with Domitian. In his stead, Nerva - an older Senator in his sixties - came to the throne.

I sometimes feel that Nerva doesn't get the credit he deserves, probably due to his short reign and being overshadowed by his successor. Whether or not he was involved in the plot to assassinate Domitian, he came to power and was known for his temperance, fairness, and sense of propriety (all of which were sharply lacking in his predecessor.)

Among other things, Nerva released those who were on trial for maiestas - ostensibly, the crime of acting in a way that degraded the Roman name, but which quickly became a catch-all charge for practically anything the emperor didn't like - employed with carefree abandon by Domitian. Nerva also (in a more conservative vein) forbade servants from conspiring and accusing their masters, which had been encouraged under Domitian and which was wreaking havoc in Roman society. Nerva also forbade that gold statues be made in his honor, he restored to many their property which had been confiscated under Domitian.

He may have been older, but the man had nerve (pun unintended but welcome) - being made known of a senatorial conspiracy against him, Nerva had the two leaders of the conspiracy sit beside him at the public games (they were unaware that he knew of the plot.) Nerva then had the cool to hand the pair a couple of swords, "just to check and make sure that they were sharp", as a part of the ceremony, but also sending them a subtle yet powerful message that he knew and did not fear their disloyalty.

And of course, one of the last acts of Nerva as emperor was to appoint his successor, Marcus Ulpius Trajanus. In doing this, he broke from the vaguely hereditary system of dynastic succession which had been unofficially adopted by Augustus, and instead, not wishing to appear guilty of favoritism, chose to nominate a successor based solely on merit. Not only was his choice a great one for the Roman Empire, but he also set the precedent for what many have called the most humane and peaceful era of the Empire - the time of the Adoptive Emperors.

(I posted the above in another thread awhile back, but thought it might be interesting here as well.)

Another thing Nerva may be noted for is bringing the full weight and meaning of the term "Roman nose" into comprehension. 😉

UNFORTUNATELY, I only have two portrait coins of this Emperor, and both are the worse for time and wear. I also need to update the photos. But such as they are, I present -

20220701_185538.jpg.8c987a5160284971f076b526892f7fe8.jpg

DSC_0403.JPG.60896b4e9b5bceaee4d912d9f220c41c.JPG

Who else has (hopefully better!) portraits of this short-reigning but fascination Emperor?

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1