NYINC 2023: Who's planning to be there?

DonnaML

• Benefactor

The next NY International Numismatic Convention is coming up soon, on January 12-16, and I'm wondering how many of you are planning to be there. I know I'm going to be there at least once, although I haven't decided yet which day(s) I'm attending.

Here are the hours each day for the Bourse Area, which will have approximately 100 dealers this year. See https://www.nyinc.info/dealers.php . 

Bourse Area Hours
Thursday, January 12    12noon - 7PM (Professional Preview - $125 Registration)
Friday, January 13    10AM  -  7PM (General Public Hours - $20 Registration Fee)
Saturday, January 14    10AM  -  7PM
Sunday, January 15    10AM  -  3PM

Has anyone who isn't a professional dealer ever paid the $125 fee to be able to go on the Thursday? Did you think it was worth it in terms of more stock being available and/or being less crowded? Given that I'm not planning to spend thousands of dollars (I hope!), $125 would actually be a non-negligible percentage of my expenditures. On the other hand, it will almost certainly be less on a percentage basis than the buyer's premiums I regularly pay to auction houses. So I'm tempted.

If I don't go on Thursday, I'll be there on Friday or Saturday. Last year I made the mistake of not arriving until about 2 or 2:30 pm on Saturday. As a result, I wasn't able to get to all the tables I wanted to see, because quite a few dealers were already closing down by around 5 or 5:30 pm, well before the ostensible closing time.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 7

I have always considered the fee on Thursday to be completely worth it. Though I always refer to it as my "stupidity tax" I have always paid it. This started back in 2017 when I first attended the NYINC . Like most i had no thought of attending the Professional prevue. $125 you have got to be kidding. However early Thursday morning CNG published their new coin shop listings and this coin was one of them.   

Thourioi DiNomos 400-359 BC Obv Helmeted head of Athena Rv Bull butting right.  HGC 1255 This coin illustrated 15.96 grms 24 mm Photo by W. Hansenthourioi6.jpg.fcc7e4acf9e452e9e905abf01a0f0871.jpgI wanted one of these , it looked pretty good and I much prefer to look at the coin in person if I had the opportunity. So I paid the stupidity tax with alacrity went over and bought the coin. Later I discovered that this coin was plated in HGC. The last time I was at the NYINC I bought the Thasos Stater, Knidos Tetradrachm. Syracuse Ae Drachm Nerva Cistophoric tetradrachm Both Trajan sestertii  and the Pius Sestertius. All can be seen on my two top 10 lists and all were purchased  on Thursday. 13 January Professional Prevue day. 

This year I cannot make it. However I urge anyone who can to do so. The NYINC is like going to a really good museum except you get to play with and even purchase some of the exhibits. 

• Like 12
  • Cookie 1
  • Gasp 1

I always attend the NYINC show so will be there as usual, but RNL will be taking a table for the first time this year as we will be launching an important new development to directly benefit both bidders and consignors that has been a long time in the works. I'll be very happy to meet anyone wishing to stop by and say hello!

image.png.e3ea0b4f54d3df18ec18a7af38392869.png

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

I will be there Thurs-Sat.

I don’t know if the preview fee is worth it.  Probably not.  But I do it to have an extra day.  And I usually find something to buy on day 1.

At least the price hasn’t gone up, like everything else has!

• Like 2

90%+ of the purchases I've made at NYINC were on Thursday. The best coins do tend to get vacuumed up fairly quickly but attending on Friday is certainly not a waste. The $125 includes the normal attendance fee so you're actually only paying an extra $105 for the ability to get first pick of the floor.

If you were planning on spending $300 in total then I'd say it's not worth it but if you were going to spend $1K+, it would likely pay for itself if you buy one coin.

• Like 5

• Benefactor

There's no way I would be allowed to attend a coin show, but I do wonder - are prices/variety better at the shows than they are at auctions/sellers?

Are the coins mostly the standard ones, or would a coin show such as this be a good place for someone with very particular targets?

• Benefactor
9 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

There's no way I would be allowed to attend a coin show, but I do wonder - are prices/variety better at the shows than they are at auctions/sellers?

Are the coins mostly the standard ones, or would a coin show such as this be a good place for someone with very particular targets?

If you pay in cash, most dealers will give you a meaningful discount.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
12 hours ago, Richard Beale said:

I always attend the NYINC show so will be there as usual, but RNL will be taking a table for the first time this year as we will be launching an important new development to directly benefit both bidders and consignors that has been a long time in the works. I'll be very happy to meet anyone wishing to stop by and say hello!

image.png.e3ea0b4f54d3df18ec18a7af38392869.png

I will try to stop by and say hello! Even though I don't usually stop by the tables for companies that are strictly auction houses, because they don't ordinarily have any coins for sale. 

• Benefactor

I am now strongly leaning towards paying the extra $105 (not $125, as @AncientJoe points out) to go on the Thursday, even though I'm not one of the people prepared to snap up any of the rare and expensive treasures likely to be on display the first day. I will arrive with a certain amount of cash -- hopefully it won't end up being the day I get robbed on the subway! -- and will try not to give in to the temptation to pull out my credit cards. At least, not too often! Maybe I'll come on Friday or Saturday as well if I don't get to see all the tables (at least 15 or 20!) that I have on my list.

If anyone wants to say hello, please do so. Apart from the name tag (yes, my real first name is, in fact, Donna), I should be easy to recognize, given that I'm usually one of the few little old ladies there as customers! If not the only one.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I will be there on Friday and Saturday.  This will be my 2nd attendance and it is really the premiere show for ancient and foreign collectors.  I regret that I did not plan to spend the extra $125 for the Thursday bourse but the Friday and Saturday bourse was good for me the last time.  I last attended in 2020 - the onset of the pandemic.  I bought only one coin on Friday, an "H" quinarius in my specialty of early Roman Silver (see image below).  After the first day, I was feeling like I would walk away with nothing else (except a book and an extra Abafil tray that I needed for swapping things around.). 

The second day, I found four more coins that are among the finest in my collection.  I wouldn't say these were bargains but I would say they would bring more at auction today than what I paid for them.

So yes, I will be there and look forward to seeing some of my long time friends and hopefully some friends I will meet anew from this and other forums.  Here are the coins I purchased in the 2020 NYINC

image.png

Corinth Stater Calciati 455 8.55g Blk.jpg

416-1b-Libo-Tongs-4.09g-M.jpg

410-8-MVSA-Urania-4.09g-gray-axial.jpg

393-1a-CNG-3,92g-M.jpg

Edited by SteveJBrinkman
  • Like 13
  • Cookie 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

I’m curious how non-U.S. dealers prefer to be paid at the show.  I assume U.S. dollars may not get the same preferential pricing that U.S. dealers might give.  Do they prefer credit cards?  I’m trying to decide what balance of cash/plastic to bring.  

Also curious about the negotiating culture with European dealers.  Is a certain amount of respectful haggling expected?  Is it offensive?  Is there no one-size-fits-all answer?

Any other hints for things a first-time attendee at a major show should know would be welcome!  Looking forward to meeting a few forum folks there  

- Bill

• Like 1

Bill,

I am in the same quandary about how much cash to bring.   I believe most of the larger enterprises will accept credit cards, and US dealers should accept personal checks.  As a last resort you could offer to do a Wise bank transfer and have the dealer hold and ship the coin when they have confirmed receipt.  Ultimately, they want to make the sale and will work with you on how to pay it.

As far as negotiating the price, I've rarely paid the asking price at a show and I've always asked "what is your best price" and engaged in a reasonable back and forth arriving at the final price if I really want the coin.  As I recall, I negotiated the price on each of the five coins I purchased at the NYINC in 2020.  Three of the five coins were European dealers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

I have also paid by Paypal transfer, which of course is instantaneous.

Without commenting on the legalities of the practice, smaller dealers do tend to prefer cash payment in dollars (even Europeans!), to avoid having to deal with the 8.875% total sales tax in NYC. They also tend to pass some of the savings on to the buyers. Keep in mind that some don't even take credit cards. 

If you want a receipt -- among other things, it's nice to have documentation of what you bought and from whom -- sometimes you have to ask specifically.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2

I will be attending the show on Thursday as well as the live bidding sessions for Triton, both the evening session on the 10th and the morning session on the 11th. Is anyone else attending the auctions? Hope to meet some fellow Numisformers (?)! Feel free to say hi....I'm probably going to be the youngest person bidding/buying and I usually wear a black messenger bag so I shouldn't be too hard to identify. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Romancollector said:

I will be attending the show on Thursday as well as the live bidding sessions for Triton, both the evening session on the 10th and the morning session on the 11th. Is anyone else attending the auctions? Hope to meet some fellow Numisformers (?)! Feel free to say hi....I'm probably going to be the youngest person bidding/buying and I usually wear a black messenger bag so I shouldn't be too hard to identify. 

I have an awful memory for both faces and names (especially user names!), but didn't I meet you at last year's NYINC?

• Benefactor

I've gotten emails from both Nomos AG and Leu in the last few days saying that they'll have "fixed price" coins at their tables at NYINC, which will also be available through their websites. That doesn't sound like they intend to leave room for discounts. 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Gasp 1

11 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I've gotten emails from both Nomos AG and Leu in the last few days saying that they'll have "fixed price" coins at their tables at NYINC, which will also be available through their websites. That doesn't sound like they intend to leave room for discounts. 

Interesting,  Neither Nomos nor Leu have a fixed price section on their websites.  I guess it will be a mystery until we get there.

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, SteveJBrinkman said:

Interesting,  Neither Nomos nor Leu have a fixed price section on their websites.  I guess it will be a mystery until we get there.

@SteveJBrinkmanThe Nomos FPL goes live Thursday when the show opens. It's not available until then. @DonnaMLNomos won't discount off the list, but if they bring other inventory not on the list, they'll negotiate on that.

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Like 1

@SteveJBrinkman and @Phil Davis I'm  not sure if that's the case re going live when the show opens. I can't figure  out what they mean  but their  email definitely says  the "list will go  live at 10am on  our website at 10AM EST when they will also be  on display at our table 307 at the NYINC.

As far as I know the show  opens to the public at noon that day. "Thursday, January 12             12noon-7PM (Professional Preview - $125 Registration)"

Maybe they are confusing times, or maybe they mean on display 10am despite not being  open to professional previewers until noon. All above my  paygrade to figure out!

• Like 1

• Benefactor
2 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

@SteveJBrinkman and @Phil Davis I'm  not sure if that's the case re going live when the show opens. I can't figure  out what they mean  but their  email definitely says  the "list will go  live at 10am on  our website at 10AM EST when they will also be  on display at our table 307 at the NYINC.

As far as I know the show  opens to the public at noon that day. "Thursday, January 12             12noon-7PM (Professional Preview - $125 Registration)"

Maybe they are confusing times, or maybe they mean on display 10am despite not being  open to professional previewers until noon. All above my  paygrade to figure out!

The show opens to dealers with tables a few hours earlier to allow time for set-up.

• Like 1