NYINC 2023: Who's planning to be there?

DonnaML

• Benefactor
17 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I have an awful memory for both faces and names (especially user names!), but didn't I meet you at last year's NYINC?

Yes, I definitely met you -- I went back and looked at the thread on Cointalk about last year's NYINC. You were with "Terence Cheesman" from Cointalk, who has a different user name here -- I think maybe he's @kapphnwn here?

Edited by DonnaML

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

I'll be at the HJB table all day Thursday, maybe part of Friday, definitely not Saturday. 

There's a 90% chance I'll be there on Thursday. If I am, and given that I was already planning to visit the HJB table, I will definitely say hello.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

@SteveJBrinkman and @Phil Davis I'm  not sure if that's the case re going live when the show opens. I can't figure  out what they mean  but their  email definitely says  the "list will go  live at 10am on  our website at 10AM EST when they will also be  on display at our table 307 at the NYINC.

As far as I know the show  opens to the public at noon that day.

So if I time things right, I can review their list at 10 am, buy any coins I want online, and still be there at the show by not long after 12 noon to pick up my purchases in person!

59 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Yes, I definitely met you -- I went back and looked at the thread on Cointalk about last year's NYINC. You were with "Terence Cheesman" from Cointalk, who has a different user name here -- I think maybe he's @kapphnwn here?

Yes, you definitely met me along with @kapphnwn..... I just added my physical description for those who don't know what I look like!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I've gotten emails from both Nomos AG and Leu in the last few days saying that they'll have "fixed price" coins at their tables at NYINC, which will also be available through their websites. That doesn't sound like they intend to leave room for discounts. 

Did it say when the Nomos fixed price list will be live?

6 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

I can't figure  out what they mean  but their  email definitely says  the "list will go  live at 10am on  our website at 10AM EST when they will also be  on display at our table 307 at the NYINC.

In the early years one could walk in at noon and head directly to that table to find 25% of this fixed price list was already sold during dealer set up.

Later, the Fixed Price coins showed up on the CNG website at midnight before the show.  10am seems a lot more civil.

• Like 2

In regards to the pronunciation of my name @Romancollector is correct. I used to collect the coins of Carrhae in Mesopotamia. When the name of the city is spelled out completely you get KAPPHNWN That collection started off well but died a lingering death as another collector one who specialized in Roman Mesopotamia kind of Hoovered up everything available. I eventually sold him my collection. (We are actually good friends) The collection was interesting. I learned all about the benefits and risks of specialization. 

One of the last coins I owned from that collection I kept 3 or 4 coins but eventually I let them all go. 

Macrinus Ar Tetradrachm Carrhae 217-218 AD Obv Bust right radiate draped and cuirassed Rv Eagle standing facing Head right Prieur 838 26 mm 12.93 grms Xcarrhaemac1.jpg.ed24b11fa49196e15747b97fb4946d0a.jpg 

• Like 4

@Cordobaand @DonnaML re when is Nomos live etc, this is what they emailed me.

Yes, once again, in fact, for the fifteenth time, Nomos will be presenting a Fixed Price List containing a very select group of Celtic, Greek, Roman and Byzantine Coins at the NYINC in January! These fine coins, including many pieces from famous collections of the past, like those of BCD, C. S. Bement, V. M. Brand, Bryn Mawr College, R. Burrage, Chandon de Briailles, Fenerly Bey, M. Lafaille, R. C. Lockett, V. Luneau, E. Milas, Sir H. Montagu, H. de Nanteuil, R. Peyrefitte, G. Philipsen, A. Rhousopoulos, Vicomte L. de Sartiges, E. P. Warren, Consul E. Weber, and Sir H. Weber, are all very worthy of going into one of the great collections of today!

This list will go live on our website beginning at 10AM EST-4PM/16 CET on 12 January, when they will also be on display at our Table 307 at the NYINC. Coins be ordered in person or through our webshop portal.

• Like 1

Attending a show like this is only a dream for me. Not that I would have the budget for it anyway! 🙂 For those of you who are going, I hope you have an enjoyable time and I look forward to seeing the new acquisitions!

• Yes 1

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I don't really remember -- maybe on Wednesday?

I'm sorry, I got it backwards. As already discussed and @Deinomenid just explained in detail, the Nomos list "goes live" at 10 am on Thursday, Jan. 12, the first day of the show, which opens at noon. It's the coins on the Leu fixed price list that will apparently be available online at some unknown time on Wednesday Jan. 11. I went back and dug up Leu's email, which is somewhat ambiguous:

"Our first ever Fixed Price List will go online on 11 January 2023 and be presented for viewing at Stand 400 at the New York International Numismatic Convention from 12-15 January 2023. The release of the Fixed Price List 1 will be announced in a Leu newsletter on 11 January 2023."

Edited by DonnaML

• Benefactor
13 minutes ago, CPK said:

Attending a show like this is only a dream for me. Not that I would have the budget for it anyway! 🙂 For those of you who are going, I hope you have an enjoyable time and I look forward to seeing the new acquisitions!

Assuming you could get to New York City, there are many dealers at NYINC who have inexpensive coins available. Often boxes and boxes of them, even if they don't display the inexpensive ones on their tables! Just as on VCoins or MA-Shops, they have coins in their stock for sale at a wide range of prices.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CPK said:

It's been some years since I attended but there was always wholesale material and discounted old stock available. Something for everyone. 

[edit] Looks like @DonnaML and I were posting the same thought at the same time. There really are great deals to be had!

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 2

If anyone wants to meet me, I will be hosting the Oriental Numismatic Society meeting at 4pm on Saturday.

We have three interesting speakers lined up.

• John Deyell - A Uniface Indo-Sasanian Coin Reveals Ancient Minting Techniques (via Zoom)
  • Pankaj Tandon - Analysis of the Metal Content in Gupta Gold Coins.
  • Michael Bates - The Earliest Muslim Coinage of Iran.
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

7 hours ago, Ed Snible said:

If anyone wants to meet me, I will be hosting the Oriental Numismatic Society meeting at 4pm on Saturday.

We have three interesting speakers lined up.

• John Deyell - A Uniface Indo-Sasanian Coin Reveals Ancient Minting Techniques (via Zoom)
  • Pankaj Tandon - Analysis of the Metal Content in Gupta Gold Coins.
  • Michael Bates - The Earliest Muslim Coinage of Iran.

@Ed Snible Will there be electronic accommodation for those not in attendance such as a live stream of the meeting or recorded video?

Edited by DLTcoins

7 hours ago, DLTcoins said:

@Ed Snible Will there be electronic accommodation for those not in attendance such as a live stream of the meeting or recorded video?

@DLTcoins If you join the ONS you may attend via Zoom and engage in the Q&A.  https://www.orientalnumismaticsociety.org/sections/north-america/

In the spring I will upload a video to the ONS YouTube channel.  Subscribe to be notified at https://www.youtube.com/@orientalnumismaticsociety5508/videos

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ed Snible said:

@DLTcoins If you join the ONS you may attend via Zoom and engage in the Q&A.  https://www.orientalnumismaticsociety.org/sections/north-america/

In the spring I will upload a video to the ONS YouTube channel.  Subscribe to be notified at https://www.youtube.com/@orientalnumismaticsociety5508/videos

@Ed Snible I've been an ONS member for many years and would encourage anyone with an interest in Islamic, Indian, Chinese coins, etc, to join. When I did attend NYINC, I was always too busy with other things to make time for the ONS meeting. I regret that now. I may try to Zoom in on Saturday. Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Benefactor
12 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

Leu price list is out.

Extremely high prices for my areas at least. As in VERY!

The link is https://leunumismatik.com/en/fpl/1. I just went through all the Roman and World coins on the list, and I agree that the prices are extremely high -- for the most part, considerably above what one might expect to pay for comparable coins at auction, or even at a retail platform like VCoins. The majority of prices exceed the $1,500-$2,000 range, and many are much higher.

I will try to review the Nomos fixed price list when it comes out tomorrow morning, before heading down to NYINC. I'm not really expecting the prices to be much different.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2