I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

• Benefactor

Here's a coin and a little music for the season.

D-CameraByzantineanonymousfollis1028-34RomanusIIIclassbs-182314.06gBerk10-27-21.jpg.070211bdb8785202e5473d1f5f8bc8fc.jpg

Rameau wrote some wonderful works for harpsichord and orchestra, in the time of Louis XV.

Here's the same work performed on a piano by the gifted Natacha Kudritskaya.  The work takes on a definite Romantic character with the full-throated percussive effect created by the piano - very different indeed!

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

(Yipes, now going all the way back to  @Phil Anthos's post, with the (redundancy alert:) vintage Beatles track --which left me liking the Beatles more than you could ever make me admit I did, until just now)

Yes.  And, to quote Joyce (in a context he wouldn't have anticipated), 'Yes, I said Yes, and I said Yes.'

Just over the last handful of years, I've managed to live long enough to be learn to appreciate electric keyboards.  Starting with Ray Charles and electric pianos, and the entire collective ouvre of Hammond organs.  ...Which, between what you can hear from YouTube, and in church, is more than anyone has time for, present company included. 

But here's some Couperin that I'm needing this minute.  My favorite prelude from 'l'Art the toucher le clavecin' (literally, the art of touching [the keys of] the harpsichord --that was a thing, even before the piano made it only that much more salient of an issue). 

Prior to their  publication in what was effectively an instructional treatise, the preludes were unmeasured.  ...Following earlier French ones for harpsichord, including those by Louis, Couperin's uncle, a ways further into the 17th century.  What I need from this is the extent to which, especially in French music, the transition from the lute to the harpsichord had been more gradual than elsewhere in Europe during the earlier phases of the Baroque era.  Lutes were around a little bit longer, and keyboard composers were happy to take on the literature (thank you, written as tablature) as an ongoing influence.

..Fine, What, here's a coin.  My earliest denier of the duchy of Burgundy, founded by a cadet line of the Capetian kings of France.

image.jpeg.03c463a236924486175051a456a65f49.jpeg

Eudes /Odo I, 1079-1102.  Denier of Dijon.

Obv. Cross forchee between three annulets.  (From 6 o'clock:) [+]O[DO] DVX: BVR[G:]

Rev.  +D[I]V[ION] CAST[RI].

Catalogue, ALDE /OGN, 16 & 17 June 2011.  Cf. esp. nos. 275-8, citing Dumas-Dubourg (title? more than I know), 2nd type, no. 2-2; also citing Poey-d/Avant "no. 14 pl."

And, thank you, the prelude in question.  Hope my verbosity hasn't managed to spoil the music.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, robinjojo said:

Here's a coin and a little music for the season.

D-CameraByzantineanonymousfollis1028-34RomanusIIIclassbs-182314.06gBerk10-27-21.jpg.070211bdb8785202e5473d1f5f8bc8fc.jpg

Rameau wrote some wonderful works for harpsichord and orchestra, in the time of Louis XV.

Here's the same work performed on a piano by the gifted Natacha Kudritskaya.  The work takes on a definite Romantic character with the full-throated percussive effect created by the piano - very different indeed!

After the solid reading by Robert Hill, what I'm really needing is how Kudritskaya translates the piece, phrase by phrase, into the (edit: tonal) vocabulary of the piano.  This takes me back to what Glenn Gould could do with Bach.  Really makes me sit up in my chair.

(Edit:) And that's a Magnificent anonymous follis.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

• Benefactor

Well, the interpretations are as different as night and day.   To say that Kudritskaya's performance is not as nuanced as the  Hill performance would be a serious understatement.  The same can be said of Gould's take on Bach. 

I was brought up with Gould's recordings of Bach in the 1960s.  In fact, at Stratford, Ontario, attending the festival in the early 60s my family met, of all people, Glenn Gould's housekeeper!  It was so long ago that I forget the circumstances, but it might have been at a place where we had breakfast.  At any rate this was the time for Gould mania and Bach on steroids.  This is not to say that his interpretations were bombastic; they were just very different from the original harpsichord arrangements.  

I have (I think) a wide appreciation of music and I recognize that nothing remain the same forever, so I appreciate the very different dynamics of piano versus harpsichord performances and welcome both; each instrument provides a different perspective on the works of Baroque and early Classical composers.

Now, I must go back to work on my comprehensive rewrite of the works of Bach for the kazoo.....

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

Just, time to fling the imogees into the trash.  In the case of anyone who really is (or has ever been) serious about interpreting Baroque on the piano, Kudritskaya is at the top of what any of us is likely to get. 

...Aside from having met Glenn Gould's housekeeper, I'm on your page about all you said.  ...He was the nearest a 'Classical' pianist, even of his time, ever got to being a rock star.  Can you blame him if, in some capacities, he acted like one?  (Even Gustav Leonhardt had a reputation for liking (emphasis on the operant verb:) to speed.)  And I remember his readings of the Well-Tempered Clavier as having had the same kind of nuance which Natacha Kudritskaya is so admirably perpetuating on the same instrument. 

• Like 3

Don't want nobody to have no blues this Christmas! Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and that 2024 treats them well.

Still waiting for my night-owl wife to get out of bed to exchange gifts this morning, but she made last Christmas a wonderful Christmas by leaving this denarius under the tree. I've only had the coin for a year, so it doesn't qualify as an "old coin" for the thread, but it -- like me -- isn't getting any younger. 

MVargunteiusdenarius.jpg.2d8dea3dc9a42fd3ecbb08d74cbb945d.jpg
M. Vargunteius, 130 BCE.
Roman AR Denarius, 3.87 g, 18.4 mm, 1 h.
Rome mint, 130 BCE.
Obv: Helmeted head of Roma right, 
M • (VAR) G behind, mark of value * below chin.
Rev: Jupiter driving triumphal quadriga right, holding palm frond and thunderbolt.
Refs: 
Crawford RRC 257/1; Sydenham CRR 507; RSC Vargunteia 1; Sear 133; Kestner 2314-5; BMCRR Rome 1068-9; RBW 1048.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Of the crossroads...

Nero / Hekate

Philadelphia, Lydia
54-59 AD
(19mm, 4.99g)
O: Bare headed and draped bust right; NEPΩN ΣEBACTOC.
R: Hekate standing facing, wearing polos and holding two torches; TI NEIKANOP ΦIΛAΔEΛΦEΩN.
RPC 3041

"Torch-bearing Hekate holy daughter of great-bosomed Nyx."
~ Bacchylides, Fragment 1B

RQj27Z4dLzN49BGxDBa3Cc8Y6Co9Mw_0~2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Philippe VI, gros a fleur de lis, c. 1340.

image.jpeg.f5f87252bf41878b1e18c8c238ee5ff5.jpeg

image.jpeg.79ff0bb0f58a05d197c3a0f3de8c6170.jpeg

Obv.  Cross, one fleur de lis in angle.  Inner legend: +PhILIPPVS REX [....]  (Outer legend continuing convention back to the issues tournois of Louis IX, translating 'We bless you in the name of the Lord.')

Rev.  Fleur de lis; [...]+FRANCORVM.  Outer border (again back to Louis IX) of small feurs de lis.  Dulessy, Royales, 263; cf. 263A (1341), a second issue of lighter weight.

My single favorite line of this song, not very far into it, is 

"Quiet as when flowers talk at break of dawn."

• Like 5

If you know the true meaning of this song, good, you will recognise a loose link between the song and the coin, (one of my Saturnalia gifts this year). Hint; it is not a love song

L Titurius L.f. Sabinus Denarius. 89 BC. Ref Tituria 2
Bare head of King Tatius right. SABIN behind. Palm branch to bottom right.
Two Roman soldiers standing facing, looking at one another, each carrying a Sabine woman in his arms.
L.TITVRI in ex. Cr344/1b, Syd 698a.
The Sabines were the women of the Sabine people. At the foundation of Rome, Romulus tries to negotiate with the Sabine people so that the Romans can marry Sabines in order to found their families. The Sabine men refused and, at a pretext festival, the Romans abducted the Sabines women and repelled the Sabines men. After several confrontations, the two finally decide to ally and allow the Sabines women to marry Romans. It is still debated whether the rape of Sabines women really happened or not; Livy. excluding any references to sexual assault, states Romulus offered them the choice to marry Romans and get some rights.

20231217_120458__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.0ad7b00f0403d24d32751ed4a3991f78.png

• Like 5

normal_Plautilla_02.jpg.a2fea3cfecf202c77e67506d03c0d190.jpg

Plautilla
AR Denarius, Rome
Obv.: PLAVTILLA AVGVSTA, Draped bust right, ear not visible
Rev: PIETA-S AVGG, Pietas standing right, holding sceptre and child.
Ag, 3.61g, 18mm
Ref.: RIC IVa, 367 (Hill hairstyle Lii), CRE 431 [C]

• Like 5

A lady doesn´t volunteer information about herself.........

Herrenia Etruscilla, wife of Trajan Decius. 249-251 AD.
AR Antoninianus
Obverse: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG. Diademed and draped bust right on crescent.
Reverse: PVDICITIA AVG. Pudicitia seated left holding sceptre and drawing veil from her face.
RIC IV 59b. Hunter 5; RSC 19
 Rome mint, A.D. 250.  3,8 g – 20,5 mm

Herennia Cupressenia Etruscilla was Roman empress as the wife of Emperor Decius. She was the mother of Emperors Herennius Etruscus and Hostilian.
As with most third-century Roman empresses, very little is known about her. She was probably from a senatorial family. It is assumed that her ancestors settled in Etrusian lands. Herennia married Decius probably before 230 and gained the title Augusta when Decius became emperor 249.
While information about her is scarce, coins with her portrait are numerous and easy to obtain.

dJy7N6TwgZp3N8fHZeW5L9m9fpE42G-Copy.jpg.1399a298df0663d0ef75ce3d15a68693.jpg

• Like 4

Ancient coins can fill me with nostalgia, and what better time to be nostalgic for than the times of "the good emperors?"

161_to_162_MarcusAurelius_Denarius_01.png.11469b31d7bed9d9658b6faa236bfd4e.png161_to_162_MarcusAurelius_Denarius_02.png.f8e367ab74fc890f7282ebcdee558668.png
Marcus Aurelius. AR Denarius. Struck 161/2 AD. M ANTONINVS AVG, bare head right / CONCORD AVG TR P XVII, COS III in exergue, Concordia seated left, holding patera, resting left elbow on statuette of Spes set on base. 18mm 3.4gm

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

Elagabalus, Billon Tetradrachm of Alexandria, Egypt. Dated year 4, AD 220-221. 23mm, 11.63gr. A KAICAΡ MA AYΡ ANTωNINOC EYCEB, laureate head right. / L-Δ, draped bust of Serapis right, wearing modius decorated with a poppy. Milne 2811-2812; Köln 2334; Dattari 4139; Emmett 2952.4. Geissen 2313, RPC 10032.

4939915_1702545270-removebg-preview.png.25bdc0701c96b3d4c20c692eaa5fd663.png

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, ewomack said:

Ancient coins can fill me with nostalgia, and what better time to be nostalgic for than the times of "the good emperors?"

161_to_162_MarcusAurelius_Denarius_01.png.11469b31d7bed9d9658b6faa236bfd4e.png161_to_162_MarcusAurelius_Denarius_02.png.f8e367ab74fc890f7282ebcdee558668.png
Marcus Aurelius. AR Denarius. Struck 161/2 AD. M ANTONINVS AVG, bare head right / CONCORD AVG TR P XVII, COS III in exergue, Concordia seated left, holding patera, resting left elbow on statuette of Spes set on base. 18mm 3.4gm

I have to post this in response!

MarcusAureliusVOTASOLDECENNCOSIIISCsestertius.jpg.4bf718fbe48d8c3688b7568471a22722.jpg

• Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

The Pretenders' self-titled debut album was released in the UK 44 years ago today:

And speaking of brass ...

FaustinaJrVENVSSCandruddersestertius2.jpg.bc483fc991ba0cec1837174bf7433230.jpg
Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman orichalum sestertius, 24.94 g, 32.2 mm, 6 h.
Rome, early 148 - March 149 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, bare-headed and draped bust, right (Beckmann Type 1 hairstyle).
Rev: VENVS S C, Venus standing left, holding apple and rudder, about which a dolphin is entwined.
Refs: RIC 1388c; BMCRE 2148-50; Cohen 268; Strack 1305; RCV 4720.

Notes: RIC uses obsolete terminology to describe the bust types. The "band of pearls" is really a braid of hair. The so-called "bare-headed" busts (RIC 1388a, nominative case and RIC 1388b, dative case) feature the Beckmann type 2 hairstyle.

• Like 6
  • Yes 1

Posted (edited)

@Roman Collector, after that, I felt the compelling need for more Pretenders.

The coin is as un-a propos as your fantastic orichalchum sestertius (never thought there'd be occasion to use those words in the same phrase) of Faustina II is literally 'on the money.'  But I like it anyway.  A denier of the viscounty of Chateaudun, with a funly early gothic 'N' on the reverse (+CASTRI DUnI), and a relatively distinctive obverse variant of the type bleso-chartrain; c. 1200-1210.

image.jpeg.201457cd810105fc60d3aef4da36e53a.jpegimage.jpeg.e339750c48c083df30d88be7477269d5.jpeg

Now to the point.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 5

@JeandAcre Yes, a lovely hit, Back on the chain gang. When they formed in 1978 I was immediately struck by the "stage prescence" of Chrissie Hynde. With the release of Stop your sobbing and Brass in Pocket in 1979 they became a firm favourite of mine. My birthday present in 1980 was ticket to see them on 20th April in England. 4 days previous on my actual birthday, the 16th, they were playing in San Fransisco I think. Great times

• Smile 1

I think if Apollo was any thinner, he would be classed as a matchstick man.

SELEUCID KINGS of SYRIA. Alexander I Balas.(152-145 BC).Antioch.Ae.
Obv : Head of Alexander I to right, wearing lion skin headdress.
Rev : ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟY.
Apollo standing facing, head to left, holding arrow and grounded bow; trident to outer left, monogram in exergue.
SC 1795.3.Weight : 6.12 gr Diameter : 17 mm

4848544_1700064809.jpg.28d213d42fc99a99f0839b033dd63469.jpg

• Like 4
  • Clap 1