RIP Roma?

kirispupis

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor
On 5/5/2024 at 6:33 PM, JulianIX said:

Do you know when is Richard Beale is due to be sentenced? 

His next scheduled court appearance is in December of this year.

Posted · Supporter
6 hours ago, robinjojo said:

just realized that I need to move quickly on making labels for my backlogged Roma purchases.  I use the lot descriptions from Roma when creating them. 

I believe you will be able to recover the same info from acsearch.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor
43 minutes ago, Hrefn said:

I believe you will be able to recover the same info from acsearch.

Also, all the Roma auctions are still on Numisbids, and I assume Sixbids as well.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Thanks!  I'll keep that in mind in case I miss some coins in this first pass.  My technique is to copy the description and paste it into a Word text box as unformatted text.  It's quite fast and the descriptions are usually very comprehensive.

I was able to create 38 Roma labels today, so I hope to do the remaining in fairly short order.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Spargrodan said:

I listened to the latest episode of Ancient Coin Show podcast yesterday and they explained the sittuation with Roma pretty well.

Dufus, as always, the best part of the podcast

• Like 1

• Benefactor
19 hours ago, Factor said:

Just received my last ever package from Roma, picked up a couple of unsolds from their last auction. Happy and sad...

PXL_20240517_005351240_MP.jpg.d508df33d91b4b6452d2989731127ba6.jpg

At least you were able to buy that coin in their after sale lot offerings.  As of today it appears that this option is no longer available.

• Like 1

With mixed feeling, I’ve received the final package of coins from Roma, including a Galba denarius, a Tigranes II tetradrachm and an interesting Austrian medal. Roma’s shipment has been perfect since I first bought from them 2 years ago, so I’m really not expecting things would go wrong in this final delivery, yet when I opened the package, I noticed there is only 2 coins…the Tigranes II tetradrachm is missing

I didn’t waste anytime since I know Roma is going to close in a week, I immediately took photos of the 2 coins I have, attached my previous invoices and then send them an e-mail informing them the error

In my experience, Roma’s after-sale service has been competent, but a part of me can’t help but worry……they are closing in a week and they could have ignored my request, in the worse case I could neither receive my coin nor a refund and there’s nothing I could do to a closed auction house

Fortunately, this struggle didn’t last long. Within 6 minutes, I received an e-mail from them that they are looking into the issue and  in 3 hours, I received an apology and confirmation that my remaining coin will be dispatched on Monday

Shout out to the efficiency of Roma’s response, they remain professional til the very end and continue to offer top notch services, I’m really going to miss them…

Since things are kind of settled for now…while waiting for the arrival of the final coin, it’s time to appreciate the latest 2 additions into my collection 

IMG_2932.jpeg.371bcf53ec0c2ceeebeb7e8a226a8f02.jpeg
IMG_2933.jpeg.e74628c7f95df9c23cb0349ec541ddf6.jpeg

Austrian Netherlands, Holy Roman Empire. Satirizing the Pragmatic Sanction and the War of the Austrian Succession Æ Medal. 1742
IMG_2937.jpeg.b5d1a0a6c1f019642b0384d80c07792f.jpegIMG_2940.jpeg.114e79dba032631d28c0eb802c98caf3.jpeg

Galba AR Denarius. Uncertain Spanish mint (Tarraco?), AD 68.

• Like 10
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Posted · Supporter

The last things I got from Roma are two lots of 7 Abafil trays.   They were picked up by Pack & Post during the week and should arrive to me soon.

I was the underbidder on a nice-looking cabinet there and they had quite a few unsold Beba trays at the end.   The place will probably be quite empty by now!

A  pity,
Aidan.

• Like 4

• Benefactor
20 minutes ago, ACCLA-Mike said:

"Antiques Trade Gazette" story on Roma closing this week.

https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/2024/roma-numismatics-to-close-doors-this-week/

From the article:

His firm held its final sales on April 24-25 – events that appeared to be a ‘fire sale’ of remaining inventory and included the firm’s coin trays and display cabinets among the closing lots. In recent weeks several members of staff have left the company while buyers have been asked to use new bank account details for payments. Any clients with unclaimed merchandise are encouraged to contact the firm at its Villiers St, London office. 

Hmmm...that's an interesting rehash of exactly what was mentioned on this thread, which I believe was the first to discuss Roma closing. I wonder...

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter
Posted (edited)

The trays arrived - 14 24-place Abafil trays.   Well packed by Pack & Send - postage expensive, but just about cheaper than taking a day off and flying over to pick them up.

20240522_132627.jpg.88216d28f602f70fbf3c2514da4bc2a9.jpg

I sent them a message to wish them best of luck.

Any coin I put in these will instantly acquire a good provenance 😄

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 5
  • Smile 5
  • Laugh 1

Posted (edited)

Look at what I’ve found rummaging through my cupboard. Funnily I’ve never bought anything from Roma. However, a couple of years ago, I bought a coin from a dealer at a show and noticed he had some of these empty boxes and I asked if he could put the coin in one of them. Looks like it had became a collectible in itself! 

IMG_8449.jpeg.01d4cdeb75082863ab1e2592d6442903.jpeg.2f99803eed01b29d5ce3f353c8c0edc6.jpeg

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 1
  • Smile 1

15 minutes ago, JayAg47 said:

copyrighted?

It would be trademark  not copyright and assuming we are talking about a UK entity,  UK trademarks are ~ established by  use  not registration. Good luck with your new business!

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter

My last Roma purchase has arrived, a dinar of al-Mansur circa AD 774.  It came with three tags.  I thought it would be fun to look at the prior Roma sales.   But when I tried to open Roma’s homepage, I had no success.  I do not know if that was a temporary glitch or if Roma’s data has vanished into the oubliette.  image.png.e25771a0860d6e9a115e443c2dd38d5d.png

image.jpeg.e2c4416fcdbfe2ea43fefabbfba1997a.jpeg

ACSearch to the rescue!  The hammer price for the dinar’s first appearance was $365.  The coin underwent an expert cleaning, and commanded $531 in its second sale.  For the third, the price was $398.  

Anyway, I am delighted that my coin has this extensive provenance dating back 14 months.  And all from the same auction house!

On a more serious note, I am happy with the coin.  Arrivederci, Roma.  Sic transit gloria nummi.  

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

5 hours ago, robinjojo said:

I wonder if there will be continued access to their historical articles after May 24th?

There will likely be a small time window when these remain active but once their payment to their web host runs out the pages will likely be torn down and the domain name released.

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, wuntbedruv said:

In case there won't, I'm going to print them all out/sit down tonight and screenshot all of them.

I copied two last night focusing on Athens.  I'd love to have them all.  I don't know if the extended descriptions qualify as articles, but the nice coins that accompany them make preserving them worthwhile, for future reference. 

And let's not forget the e-journals as well.  These are much more of a scholarly nature.

These articles can be downloaded in as PDFs.

https://www.romanumismatics.com/ejournal

Edited by robinjojo

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

I copied two last night focusing on Athens.  I'd love to have them all.  I don't know if the extended descriptions qualify as articles, but the nice coins that accompany them make preserving them worthwhile, for future reference. 

One of those "extended descriptions" actually came from me. 

I regularly browse catalogs and dealer sites for coins I already own, hoping to find information or clues to follow in an attempt to further my knowledge. Browsing a Roma listing about 10 years ago I found a similar coin to one in my collection, one I had done a lot of research on. Reading the description I thought "this sounds familiar." It turns out he lifted it entirely from my gallery entry at Forvm. I brought this up to him and he was quite apologetic, claiming he incorrectly assumed it was "standard boilerplate". He then edited the description and offered me a $100 gift card as compensation. I took it as a simple and unfortunate mistake, but the scruples I was assuming then don't seem as obvious to me anymore.

V_703.jpeg~2.jpg

Taras, Calabria

281-276 BC (Period VI - From Kleonymos to Pyrrhus)
AR Didrachm (20mm, 7.68g)
Nikon magistrate.
O: Naked ephebe vaulting from horse galloping left, holding javelin and small shield in left hand; EY above, [NI]KΩN (magistrate) below.
R: Phalanthos astride dolphin left, holding ear of grain; API to left, TAPAΣ to right, spearhead below.
D'Andrea XLI, 996; Vlasto 703; Evans VI, E2; Cote 342; SNG ANS 1077-78; HGC I, 817; HN Italy 969
ex John Jencek

The Tarentine horsemen were renowned throughout the ancient world, serving as mercenary cavalry for many Mediterranean kings including Antigonos I, Demetrios I and Alexander of Epirus. They were so efficient that the term ‘Tarentine Horse’ came to mean any such skirmishing cavalry unit, regardless of their origin.
These were not typical cavalry however, but rather "hippakontistai" (mounted javelinmen), or more specifically "elaphroi", light cavalry which throw javelins and then dismount for close combat.
The scene depicted here is from an equestrian event of the Hyakinthia (the ceremonial games of Hyakinthian Apollo) rather than actual combat, but celebrates those special skills necessary in war. The armed rider would dismount at full gallop, run along side his horse, and then remount in stride.

The didrachm was reduced from c. 7.5g to c. 6.5g after 276 to help pay for Pyrrhus' campaigns against the Romans. However the spearhead on the reverse is in this context definitely an Epirote symbol, making this one of the last coins struck on the old standard.

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 5