Current perceptions of the market

kirispupis

And that's if the economy doesn't go south.  I work in the financial industry, and let's just say it's looking very 1929...  October's traditionally when the market goes south, if it does.  The various algorithms and other factors have made the market so artificial that it might not. 

PaulBearer.gif.e9fa7190492d31be71589537d6fbef78.gif

I can confidently say that's how it's looking on the consumer and the commercial mortgage side, though. Cue the theme (one of the all-time great themes, by the way).  I'm not too sad about the mortgage part, but I'd rather the consumer have less of a hard time. 

Heck, if I didn't have a paid off house and cars, I'd be in a world of hurt, myself. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I have an inkling that coin retail prices are coming down. For a while there, the vast majority of retail listing had me thinking “I can’t imagine any scenario where that price could be paid by a buyer.” 

However, the last few days I have noticed that a few sellers are uploading very competitively priced goods in high volumes, to the point I’ve even even tempted to stray outside my collecting area!

Perhaps a coincidence, perhaps seller fatigue kicking in simultaneously, or maybe there’s some effects/news affecting dealers us buyers don’t know about yet! 

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 2

Common coins with poorer quality or common coins remain roughly stable in price or are currently falling slightly.

Special coins - be it rare or the coin has something special or it is in a very rare, good condition - these prices are still rising in some cases. But this is also simply because 1-2 years ago the market was “bought empty” of very good/rare coins. Today many collectors are fighting over special / rare / well-preserved coins = prices continue to rise here.

I have a lot more “problems” selling my inexpensive coins than my high-quality coins. Some of these are ripped out of my hands.

From a trader's perspective.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 4

Addendum.

What problem I see for collectors (not always, but very often) - there are actually often only two choices at the moment:

a) Junk coins, mass-produced goods or coins of lower quality for which you have to pay far too much money (also as a dealer and therefore a buyer).

b) High-quality, special and very rare coins - for which too many collectors fight and the prices often explode.

What is missing? The good mid-range coins in good condition and at a fair price are missing. The middle class is just too rare to find. Either overpriced “cheap coins” or very expensive “high-price coins”. However, the “normal” middle class coins are currently missing on the market.

My opinion.

• Like 7
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

I fully expect the market for truly top quality RR silver to remain intensely competitive... on the off chance that something actually is offered for sale. So far this year, I've seen nothing even remotely of interest to me.

• Like 6

I struggle to determine whether coin prices are higher or my expectations are just not reasonable on price....this coin, that I bought recently for about $100 USD sold in 1977 for DM 287 (about $115 USD at the time). So are prices up or prices down or my expectations just not moving as fast as the value of the dollar is changing?

image.png.975c1fe4bf7f1d8964e6bc5d84982fbd.png

image.png.c494f56520bfb5ff1d0d8e33a449eae0.png

Kricheldorf, Stuttgart, Nov 1977, Auction 32 Lot 190

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I can confidently say that's how it's looking on the consumer and the commercial mortgage side, though

What's going on with consumer mortgages?

Housing affordability is dismal, but prices are staying high all the same, presumably due to lack of housing supply. Are you expecting a house price collapse, or just the lending side getting into trouble for some reason?

Consumers appear to be relatively healthy, notwithstanding massive tech job layoffs that are continuing - too small a part of the housing market to make much difference I'd assume.

• Like 1

There's less and less mortgages, at least in that field.

Insofar as consumers, the garnishments, they are a'plenty.  The garnishments are equal, if not greater, than the mortgages coming in.  Anyway, I don't want to go into too many details, but people are having trouble paying bills.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

And that's if the economy doesn't go south.  I work in the financial industry, and let's just say it's looking very 1929...  October's traditionally when the market goes south, if it does.  The various algorithms and other factors have made the market so artificial that it might not. 

PaulBearer.gif.e9fa7190492d31be71589537d6fbef78.gif

I can confidently say that's how it's looking on the consumer and the commercial mortgage side, though. Cue the theme (one of the all-time great themes, by the way).  I'm not too sad about the mortgage part, but I'd rather the consumer have less of a hard time. 

Heck, if I didn't have a paid off house and cars, I'd be in a world of hurt, myself. 

What is that gif from I'd like to use it in my day-to-day online communications.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Wasn't he just great for the Paul Bearer role?

Yes. When I was a child, I used to watch fake wrestling, because I thought it was real. Then, when I found out it was fake, I stopped watching. However, 1 time, as an adult, I was flipping TV channels, and I happened to see Paul Bearer talking. It was so funny, that I watched it for awhile. I've never forgotten that. I think, he would have been good, as a Youtube host of "creature features" films. RIP.

Paul Bearer has passed away. This is a sad day. : r/SquaredCircle

Edited by sand
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Had no idea who the guy was and had to go look for him on Google lol. The whole Wrestling scene is something from American culture that is totally unfamiliar to me. I will use that gif on my whatsapp and other gif-supporting comm apps even if no one gets the reference just because it's funny regardless, by its own self lol.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, seth77 said:

The whole Wrestling scene is something from American culture that is totally unfamiliar to me

I grew up in the UK, and we had wrestling on TV too, but very different. I'm pretty sure it was also mostly fake, but no "characters" and not a fraction as entertaining. When I think of the American WWE the sterotypical image that comes to mind is Randy "Macho Man" Savage being interviewed by "Mean Gene". Oh Yeah! There were also the occasional feats of unfakable strength that were interesting such as Hulk Hogan body slamming the 500lb Andre the Giant (and it turns out badly injuring himself, although he didn't show it at the time).

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

I grew up in the UK, and we had wrestling on TV too, but very different. I'm pretty sure it was also mostly fake, but no "characters" and not a fraction as entertaining. When I think of the American WWE the sterotypical image that comes to mind is Randy "Macho Man" Savage being interviewed by "Mean Gene". There were also the occasional feats of unfakable strength that were interesting such as Hulk Hogan body slamming the 500lb Andre the Giant (and it turns out badly injuring himself, although he didn't show it at the time).

Even his moniker Paul Bearer is funny.

In related news, I seem to have been missing out by not being up to date with this thing.

Alexa_Bliss-bio--db4d209ac33005defacf8e71718effe8.jpg.a9ae4098cf2167cfea8662cb8368eb99.jpg

• Like 2