Any experience with these guys? UPDATED

DimitriosL

I have purchased coins from them at 8 auctions over the past 3 years, so they are very much a go-to auction house. They have prebidding for a month or so before the live auction and the live auction can see some animated, last-minute bids come in. The coins are generally accurately attributed, and the photographs are good. You have to pay by bank transfer, which is pretty easy with Wise. Shipping is prompt. I like them as a company and have no concerns. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Yes 2

Thanks for the swift reply!. ''15. Postage, insurance and sales tax, if required by law to be collected, will be added to the invoice for any lot(s) invoiced to successful bidders'' that was the part that worried me a bit but i am glad you had a pleasant experience . I will propably give them a try. 

• Like 2

They are a top of the line auction house. As such, bidding can get fierce. But the coins they sell speak for themselves. 

Here are a couple favorites from them:

2058244_1626462250.l-removebg-preview(1).png.a2333ca9369e9e22d058d8fea8b41c7c.png

Thessaly, Larissa. AE 20 mm. c. 370-360 BC. Obv. Head of the nymph Larissa facing slightly left. Rev. Horseman, wearing kausia, riding right. Cf. SNG Cop. 141. AE. 5.15 g. 20.00 mm. Green-brown patina. Good VF/VF.

Purchased from Artemide Aste 

2058211_1626462233.l-removebg-preview.png.60527c89d91330ebd4974557affad843.png.c524f6f083dbaf94db81374c59bce7da.png

Sicily. Syracuse. Dionysos I (406-367 BC). AE Hemilitron. Obv. Head of Arethusa left, wearing necklace, hair bound in ampyx and sphendone; olive leaves behind. Rev. Dolphin swimming right; Σ Y P A and cockle shell below. CNS II 24/1-7; HGC 2 1480. AE. 2.58 g. 16.00 mm. Good VF.

Purchased from Artemide Aste

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 2

I bought from several of their sales in the past (though it's been a few years). Both from their San Marino office and their sales from Artemide GmbH, which I think is in Austria.

Never any problems at all, though I shifted to other sellers as my interests changed. (My only gripe is that they're not indexed in ACSearch!)

This coin from Artemide LII (October 2019) was published by Fischer-Bossert the following year, reattributing the type from Ionia, Erythrae to Bithynia, Herakleia, which I was very happy to discover!

image.jpeg.f5441e01a441400b9d6b56758ee848df.jpeg

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

I've bought a lot of coins from Artemide over quite a few years and like them.

I once got a fairly obvious cast fake from them, back in 2011.   I had no problem returning it.   It was a late night bid - when I looked the next day I remember thinking "Hmm, that's well off, why did I bid on it?!".   Of course, I won it and it was cast - light weight, casting pearls and the serrations (it was a denarius serratus) were interrupted by a seam!   Anyway, they agreed with me it was a cast and refunded me when I sent it back.

It's still up on deamoneta:

https://www.deamoneta.com/auctions/view/48/8161

Deamonta has its own database of old sales - access is cheap (something like €10 a year?, I'm a subscriber), but it's limited to deamoneta auctions.

Artemide sold a very odd RR sestertius a few years ago (completely new type) that was afterwards sold twice by Roma - I'd be somewhat sceptical of it 😄

https://www.deamoneta.com/auctions/view/665/212 - apparently hammerd for €20,000.

https://romanumismatics.com/221-lot-416-c-licinius-l-f-macer-ar-sestertius?auction_id=75&view=lot_detail - hammered for £15,000 and in 2023 (Auction XXVIII, lot 494) at £12,000.

Anyway, I like them - they sell lots of RR coins.   I don't know if they look too closely at what they sell - but the buyer should always be more of an expert than the auction house in what he/she's buying.

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 4

Artemide is top notch for knowledge, honesty, and pretty good material - especially at their live auctions.  They've been around quite a while and I always look forward to browsing their auctions.  They don't typically offer the extremely high end coins but frequently offer rarities not found elsewhere.  I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

So i went through and places a bid on their latest auction. It was received successfully but after a couple of days i saw that it had been removed as it was never made  in the first place. I tried placing the same bid again but got an error message. Have emailed them in the e mail posted on their official site but no response whatsoever. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

• Like 1

• DimitriosL changed the title to Any experience with these guys? UPDATED