Stay away from wax...

Prieure de Sion

nero.png.d43c8e72bb143369c2a8167ca8bb7b1f.png

Today a shipment came from Spain - including this Nero Sestertius. Now I also know why the surface looks a bit smooth and greasy and washed out. The previous owner waxed the sesterce heavily.

😳

I've also used extra "Renaissance wax" - but at least it doesn't stick! I have no idea what wax was used here - but the coin sticks terribly and is very greasy in the hand. The wax has to come off! The coin has to breathe!

What is best for me to take? I've never had to remove wax.

I would have said I would use pure alcohol - such as "isopropanol" - that would get rid of any fat.

https://amzn.eu/d/8Xlo8Z2 

Other opinions and tips? Thanks!

• Like 3

i would suggest an Acetone soak, this seems to be the gold standard for coin cleaning to break down organic bonds. it's not going to be instant though, some people thing a dab will do it.. no it's going to take 10-20 minutes and you'll likely need to use a swab or several swabs to get it all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AETHER said:

Even Nero looks angry at the wax tomb he was placed it! 

Now it's clear why he looks like that!

41 minutes ago, ela126 said:

i would suggest an Acetone soak

4 minutes ago, AETHER said:

I would suggest acetone as ela did.

Answers I didn't want to hear 😄 

No seriously, first of all, thank you! But I always associate acetone with a smelly, corrosive liquid. If I remember correctly, my brushes always dissolved in the acetone bath. I'm a little afraid of acetone.

But I'm a layman when it comes to removing wax. It's probably an unfounded fear (of acetone)?!

• Like 1

Acetone is by no means harmless, but having worked with it for 15 years on a daily basis, there are much stronger solvents you can use, which would warrant greater concern. (toluene or hexanes, heck even gasoline).

IPA (isopropanol) is fine to attempt, it should have some effect on the wax and none on the coin, but acetone is the standard and is what is used by NGC's conservation service (among other things) to remove  PVC and other surface issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ela126 said:

Acetone is by no means harmless, but having worked with it for 15 years on a daily basis, there are much stronger solvents you can use, which would warrant greater concern. (toluene or hexanes, heck even gasoline).

IPA (isopropanol) is fine to attempt, it should have some effect on the wax and none on the coin, but acetone is the standard and is what is used by NGC's conservation service (among other things) to remove  PVC and other surface issues.

26 minutes ago, AETHER said:

I have used acetone of bronze and copper to clean fake patina or any other residue, while sometimes the residue did not come off, I didn't notice any damage on the coin at all.

OK, seriously. I have alcohol here - I'll try that later and then, if it's not enough, I'll use acetone. Then I feel reassured when I can use acetone safely.

I'll let you know if I was successful.

• Like 2

Liquid acetone dissolves lipids/fats very readily.  Acetone is a substantial component of nail polish remover, so millions of people use it frequently without harm.  Your body even produces acetone when you are breaking down fat for energy (lipolysis).  The acetone leaves the body during respiration, leaving in the exhaled air.  

Pure acetone solutions will de-fat your skin by dissolving the lipids there, so leaving it onto your skin is a bad idea.  But if you avoid immersing your hand in it, and use it in a ventilated space, you should be fine.  Just remember it is flammable, so don’t smoke while working with it!

Agree with @ela126that it is less hazardous than gasoline.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's wax, or something like wax, then I wonder if putting the coin in boiling water, would melt the wax, and cause the wax to fall off of the coin.

Will acetone remove the remaining patina of the coin?

Regarding wax on ancient coins, I don't put wax on any of my coins. I'd rather allow the coin to age naturally, and it seems easier to see the real coin without wax, and wax seems fake to me.

Every coin I acquire has a dip in acetone before being photographed and put away. I have never had a problem, it won´t remove toning or patina. If there is a heavy coating, like the wax on your coin, I apply the following method. Two glasses with a little acetone in each. Dip the coin for 10-20 minutes in glass 1 and you will see the liquid change color as the was is dissolved and held in suspension. At this point remove the coin, the acetone will evaporate in seconds and then place in glass 2 for a minute or so. This will remove any last traces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Acetone seems to be totally harmless to coins. Not so much to your lungs. It likes attacking organic matter, like wax, and you. It evaporates incredibly quickly too (so don't leave the lid off). But you only need a little and can use it outside, so there's no danger. You can briefly put your fingers in it - it will disappear quickly. You should also use pure acetone, not nail varnish remover, which might be less good for coins.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1