Top "10" non Greek/ Roman Ancients

panzerman

I had my best year ever adding 104 new coins in the "year of our Lord" 2023

I will thus do four lists/ first one is devoted to non Greek/ Roman coins. Next top 10 will be late medieval/ renaissance/ followed by Roman/Byzantium then Greek World

1/ Ostrogothic Kingdom/ Italia

AV Tremissis ND Rome or Ravenna Mint (struck in name of Justinian I 527-65AD

Wittigis 532-40AD

Aste Artemide Auction LX

2/ Salerno/ Principality

AV Tari d'oro ND Salerno Mint

Guaimario III 994-1017AD (2-3 known)

Aste Artemide Auction LX

3/ Regnum Gothorum Hispania/ Baetica

AV Tremissis ND  Ispali Mint

Chintila 636-39AD

Gosvintha Collection/ Cores Coll./ Chaves coll.

Plate coin/ RRR

Tauler & Fau Auction

4/ Britannia/ Dobunni

AV Stater ND/ NM

Catti 1-20AD

ex: Matthew Rich/ Walter Saltori collections

Found Ross-on-Wye 1995

Roma Auction

5/ Samatatas of Bengal

AV Dinara ND/ NM  (struck imitating Kushan Dinara of Kanisahka I 

Vira Jadamarah 290-340AD

ex; NBJ auction/ Dubai (few known from recent find 5-8 exs)

6/ Kushan Empire

AV Dinara ND   Balkh Mint

Huvishka 151-92AD

Reverse: Goddess Nana

ex: Rauch Auction

7/ Sasanian Empire

AV Dinar ND Mint 1  Ctesiphon Mint

Shaphur I 242-72AD

ex: Leu Auction

8/ Merovingian Kingdom/ Aquitaine

AV Triens ND Banassac Mint

Sigbertus III 633-56AD

Moneyer Calvaletano

ex: CNG Auction (regal issues are RRR) 2 known

9/ Beneventum

AV Solidus ND/ NM

Grimoaldo III 7860806AD

10/ Srivijayar Kingdom

Ranieri 

Palembang (Sumatra) 

AV Massa ND (Sandalwood Flower) 2.67g.

HeritageAuctions/ Europe

af6991f7cb3c5735159c28e07866b121 (3).jpg

02a8c430842d50c3ee5f9596a3f5d065.jpg

chintila-636-639-tremissis-ispali-sevilla-9935846 (1).webp

britannia-the-dobunni-catti-av-9795782.webp

64LG (2).jpg

huvishka-151-192-9938832.webp

3b281647efca8e30a6c1bb1e308b3e24.jpg

1272_1 (3).jpg

benevento-grimoaldo-iii-788-806-9752024.webp

8002 (1).jpg

Italy_1000_AD.svg.png

• Like 19
  • Cookie 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Heart Eyes 10

Thank you @ sand!  

The Scrivijayar coin is a bit of a mystery. They found some of these coin submerged in the Musi River/ Palembabg (Sumatra)

The Kingdom was originally from Malay area/ they emerged as a sea power and trading nation. They were Hindu-Buddhist.

Not much is known/ they existed on Palembang from 600-1200AD when Islamic influence spread from Asian mainland to Java/ Sumatra/ Sulawesi rest of Indonesia

As for the coins they were minted from heavy 10 AV Massa to 1/32 Massa (0.10g.)

John

2 hours ago, Di Nomos said:

Wow, I love them all. I do like British coins, so if pressed #4 would be my favourite, but #10 is a fascinating little coin, a type I've never seen before.

When I post my Medieval-Renaisance "top ten" you will see some neat English coins.😇

• Clap 1

• Benefactor

A truly golden group for 2023! 

They are all truly exceptional coins and picking a favorite is difficult, given my proclivity to like just about everything.  The Kushan and Sassanian coins are absolutely beautiful, so I would pick them as one and two, respectively, as my favorites.  The Ostrogothic Kingdom AV tremissis is a true gem of a coin!

• Like 1

Unsurprisingly my favorites are 5, 6, and 7.  Number 5 is especially notable to me, as I was not aware of this particular Kushan-imitative type (which makes sense as it was only recently discovered).  Also #2- I find it interesting when medieval Christian kings struck Arabic- and Arabic-imitative-language coins.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, robinjojo said:

A truly golden group for 2023! 

They are all truly exceptional coins and picking a favorite is difficult, given my proclivity to like just about everything.  The Kushan and Sassanian coins are absolutely beautiful, so I would pick them as one and two, respectively, as my favorites.  The Ostrogothic Kingdom AV tremissis is a true gem of a coin!

Thank you Robin! I think I went a little overboard in 2023! Now that I am finished work had time to go thru this years adventures/ I was amazed at my aquisitions! But.....its so much fun.

I was not even planning on the Sasanian Dinar/ since I was running low on funds/ but noted Leu had 6 of them in a row. I carefully picked my favorite/ waited till 4 secs left and ended up winning it/ for good price. The Rauch Dinara (Huvishka) was a little tense/ still excellent price for high quality Dinara. The Tremissis (Artemide) grabbed my attention/ since it was both beautifull and rarely offered Wittigis type. I find Artemide a gem of an auction house!

John

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Parthicus said:

Unsurprisingly my favorites are 5, 6, and 7.  Number 5 is especially notable to me, as I was not aware of this particular Kushan-imitative type (which makes sense as it was only recently discovered).  Also #2- I find it interesting when medieval Christian kings struck Arabic- and Arabic-imitative-language coins.

THank you Parthicus!

You are correct/ many Christian Kingdoms/ Duchies/ Principalities struck coins imitating Islamic coin types. Esp. the ones in Italy/  Spain. I am embaressed to confess/ before I grabbed that AV Tari d'oro (unsold list) Artemide/ I had never hear of this Guaimario III! You learn a lot from this exciting hobby! That Bengal AV Dinara is from a recent discovery (few coins found/ less then 10) known. Seems India is the place to go metal detecting! The Lagina brothers are only finding ferrous metal objects on Oak Island....so far!

John