Secret Saturnalia 2023

Curtisimo

For anyone who wasn’t in the last round of pairings, if you still haven’t received a Saturnalia gift, please send me a message so I can follow up on it.

As with previous years, I will guarantee that everyone who participates gets a gift… even if it is a little late. 🙂

Io Saturnalia!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 3

1 hour ago, Curtisimo said:

For anyone who wasn’t in the last round of pairings, if you still haven’t received a Saturnalia gift, please send me a message so I can follow up on it.

As with previous years, I will guarantee that everyone who participates gets a gift… even if it is a little late. 🙂

Io Saturnalia!

@Curtisimo if you need a coin sent within Europe, I can oblige if needed. It wouldn´t be very secretive and would be a bit late, but better than nothing.

• Like 5
  • Cool Think 1

• Benefactor

I apologize for the delay, but I finally processed my Secret Saturnalia gifts! I was lucky enough to receive not one, but three coins. I also had the opportunity to attribute my first Roman coins. 🙂 I was at least told the emperor, but had to look up the rest, so I hope I got it right.

I really like the colors in this Diocletian.

331A2512-Edit.jpg.d18c54fe1a1d81bb76aa33d2fda38e5c.jpg

Diocletian
Heraclea 284-305 CE
BI Antoninianus 20mm, 2.72 g
Obv: IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG. Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: CONCORDIA MILITVM / HΓ. Jupiter standing left, holding sceptre and presenting Victory on globe to emperor standing right
RIC 13

This Maximianus I found fascinating because I couldn't find any examples with star/Γ and XXI. Again, I'm unfamiliar with this coinage, but as I understand from a quick Internet search:

The star/Γ indicates the workshop in Antioch that minted these, so in this case it was produced by Grigori's Star Coins

XXI indicates twenty bronze coins to a silver Antoninianus

Interestingly, the only coins I found with a star/Γ had "ANT" below (I assume for Antioch). However, I have no idea what the rarity of my coin means other than this may have been either one of the very first or very last coins from that workshop.

331A2535-Edit.jpg.49391fabfe92046ff0276f4395d091f1.jpg

Maximianus
Antioch 285-295 CE
Radiate 21mm, 3.75g, 12h
Radiate and cuirassed bust r.
R/ Jupiter standing r., holding sceptre and globe, facing Hercules standing l., holding Victory, club and lion's skin; star/Γ//XXI.
RIC V 622. VF

I also received an unknown Greek coin that he received in a group lot. My best guess is Sardis, Lydia.

331A2549-Edit.jpg.a59ad2440626c199d0ef33f97567c2f7.jpg

Thank you (unknown) Secret Saturnalia!

• Like 12
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

IO Saturnalia!  Sorry I’m late to the party, I was out of town and just got back home and was finally able to open up my gift.   I got a beauty this year…I had actually bid on one of this type (and lost) a couple of months ago, so I was very pleasantly surprised to get this as my gift. 

The coin has some great history.  It was issued in Antioch by P. Quinctilius Varus not long before he famously lost Augustus’ legions in the Battle of Teutoburg Forest.  I have very few coins from the time of Augustus, so I was very happy to score this one!

The coin has a very nice portrait of Zeus and a great reverse with Tyche of Antioch…it definitely deserves a much better photo (I always have trouble photographing coins with a dark patina for some reason)

IMG_2701.jpeg.26506146ed8c17a5ca784ca5a6a23fcd.jpeg

IMG_2715.jpeg.9f7003abc048d3ee2a8df693af18a120.jpeg
Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch, time of Augustus, circa4-5 A.D., AE Trichalkon, Issued by P. Quinctilius Varus, legatus Augusti pro praetors, Laureate head of Zeus, right/ Rev. Tyche seated on rocky outcropping, holding palm branch; at feet, half-length figure of River-god Orontes swimming right.

A huge thank you to my “secret” Saturn @Furryfrog02 !  And a happy Saturnalia, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to you all!

• Like 13

Sorry I didn't keep it a secret. I realized after I mailed it that I should've been more secret. Especially since it was from my new address so you wouldn't have known...oops...oh well....glad you like the coin 🙂

IO Saturnalia all!

I have just finished my "some assembly required" Santa gifts so I am off for a quick nap before the tadpoles wake up.

• Like 3

Hello all,

I was honored and privileged to have participated in a few private gift exchanges this year (I waited till Christmas to open them up!). I am hopeful that the board won’t begrudge me posting about them here on the Saturnalia thread as I work on photos.

First, I want to say thank you to @Ryro. I am stoked to finally have a Macedonian shield from the Macedonian shield collection! He sent me two other great coins as well. I am particularly fond of the Celtic ring. Proto-money is an interesting area of numismatics and I didn’t have one of these.

Thank you my friend!

Celtic_Ring.jpeg.fd5901e76c78bfc8dd40593d3db1db7d.jpeg
AE Celtic Ring, Proto-Money 
500 BC - 100 AD
(18 mm)

Antiochus_II_AE.jpeg.689ba70b6ac7db2dada1a2a46ae6e952.jpeg
Seleukid Empire
Antiochos II
AE 18, Tralles mint, struck ca. 261-246 BC
(18mm, 3.9g, 12h)
Obv.: Laureate head of Apollo r.
Rev.: Tripod; monogram to outer l., ? to r., anchor in exergue. 
Ref.: SC 599; HGC 9, 253b
Ex Ryro Collection 

Demetrios_I_Pol_Sheild.jpeg.9ee632624eeb437ff6f116d0316627b3.jpeg
Macedonian Kingdom
Demetrios I Poliorketes
AE 15, Pella mint, struck ca. 306-283 BC
(15mm., 4,33 g)
Obv.: Macedonian shield with monogram in boss
Rev.: BA-ΣΙ, Macedonian helmet, pellet(?) to inner left
Ref.: Newell 132; SNG Alpha Bank 969
Ex Ryro Collection, purchased from Savoca (Oct 2022)

• Like 10
  • Clap 3

I was very humbled to get such a thoughtful, beautiful, and chonky (It is fun to hold this beauty in hand!) coin and would like to thank @Curtisimo the Great for adding a shield coin, from a ruler of whom I had no coins, to my collection. 

I appreciate the coin and your friendship very much, old buddy. 

Screenshot_20231217_182156_PicCollage_3-removebg-preview.png.a712a6bcbbc9fa4a5720c84373fde89b.png

Sauromates I 90-124 AD,Bosporus Kingdom, 48 units AE, Struck AD 98-103/4. 15.34g: Obv: Wreath on a curule chair, shield and spear to left, Emperor’s head tipped scepter to right "BACILEOC CAYPOMATOY" Rev: "MH" (mark of value) within a wreath. Anokhin 456. MacDonald 408/6; Frolova II pl. IX, 4. Ex Agora, Agean Sale 2, Feb 2017 & Aegean Sale 4, July 2017, Ex Aegean Numismatics, Saturnalia/Christmas 2023 present from @Curtisimo The Greatish

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 12
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

My second private exchange this year was with everyone’s favorite Frenchman @Qcumbor. 🙂

Q and I talk privately about our coin purchases, targets, and random whatever’s all the time. A few months ago he showed me some of his French Revolutionary “hard times” tokens. These were struck during the Revolution because official coins were becoming scarce. I thought they were fascinating! Q knows I am interested in Revolutionary and Napoleonic history.

When Q asked me if I was still at the same address I knew he was planning to send me something. I suggested we do an exchange since I had a coin in mind I knew would go nice in his collection. I was thrilled to find a hard times token in the package! Beautiful!

French_Rev_Token.jpeg.44e1688555b96a0ea2e0bfeda236263e.jpeg

Even more than that, I was happy to receive a coin with a very special connection to Q. This coin is the same type that his grandfather found digging a trench in WWI. This type started Q’s coin collecting journey. What a great and thoughtful gift!

It also goes perfectly with my crazy Commodus denarius.

Commodus_Sestertius_Herc.jpeg.62bc59952f4fa82bd0a483bb7496192a.jpeg

Im honored to have the brother of your first coin in my collection now, Q.

If there is anyone who hasn’t read the story about Q’s grandad, you really should take a minute to read the post below. Such a great coin and story.

…and finally Q sent me this awesome owl! Modern coins can be fun too! I’ll have to post this one in my “modern coins with ancient themes” thread. 🙂 

1_Euro_Owl_2009.jpeg.6f9b4a648204c294c8a2f06da8ebb4e5.jpeg

Thank you my friend!

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 10
  • Cool Think 2
  • Clap 3

... and at the other end, across the pond, I've been blown away with what I received from @Curtisimo : no less than a Vespasian denarius from the IVDAEA CAPTA series !

The man is clever, I think Curtis has taken quite some time browsing my collections on line just to make sure I hadn't one already. Spot on !!

I had never thought of acquiring one myself, thinking a nice example would be pricey, and attracting a lot of competition because those are so much sought after all over the world. But he did it !!

Thanks a million Curtis for such a beautiful and thoughtful gift

6f354128131b4867b685269bf7062ff9.jpg

Vespasian, Denarius - Rome mint, 69-70 CE
IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right
Captive Jewess seated right, hands tied before, trophy of captured arms behind, IVDAEA in ex.
3.22 gr - 14x17 mm - 5 h
Ref : RIC II # 2, RSC # 226, RCV # 2296

Q

• Like 10
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

On returning to Melbourne today I finally opened my parcel from my generous Secret Saturn @lordmarcovan!

And what delights we have here, well worth the wait!

Firstly we have a VERY decent Agrippa/ Neptune as. I realise I am a little difficult to shop for, having 155 rulers in my one-per ruler collection. But this is a damn nice coin & I’m keeping it! 

He’s also gifted me with some Russian wire money - which is excellent because I have been wanting to expand my Russian imperial collection & I’ve wanted some of these old style denga/ kopecks for a long time. I’ve yet to attribute these to their respective rulers, which will be my NYD task (as I’m setting up my NYE party as we speak) but this is a VERY welcome addition to my collection! 

Thank you so much! 

5B869A88-569B-48DC-B123-70523C48B888.jpeg

BDF83125-05C4-488F-9175-5ABDEE207D83.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

10 hours ago, GregH said:

Firstly we have a VERY decent Agrippa/ Neptune as. I realise I am a little difficult to shop for, having 155 rulers in my one-per ruler collection. But this is a damn nice coin & I’m keeping it! 

‘Tisn’t nearly so nice as the one on your profile page, but hopefully that little bit of crude Russian silver made up for that, and I’m glad you like it.

• Like 4

On 12/30/2023 at 11:24 AM, Qcumbor said:

... and at the other end, across the pond, I've been blown away with what I received from @Curtisimo : no less than a Vespasian denarius from the IVDAEA CAPTA series !

The man is clever, I think Curtis has taken quite some time browsing my collections on line just to make sure I hadn't one already. Spot on !!

I had never thought of acquiring one myself, thinking a nice example would be pricey, and attracting a lot of competition because those are so much sought after all over the world. But he did it !!

Thanks a million Curtis for such a beautiful and thoughtful gift

6f354128131b4867b685269bf7062ff9.jpg

Vespasian, Denarius - Rome mint, 69-70 CE
IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right
Captive Jewess seated right, hands tied before, trophy of captured arms behind, IVDAEA in ex.
3.22 gr - 14x17 mm - 5 h
Ref : RIC II # 2, RSC # 226, RCV # 2296

Q

A Judaea Capta!  Wow!  That one looks easily as nice if not slightly nicer than the one I had in my old Twelve Caesars collection, for which I paid somewhere in the mid-$200s, as I recall.  That’s a sweet Saturnalia gift!

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1

A big thanks to my Secret Saturn for their generosity and taking the time and effort to find coins that fit well with my collecting interests (among others) of Alexandrian and late Roman coins. Both are very nice and types I did not have before. The Licinius is particularly interesting in that it is part of a specific emission from Cyzicus during 316-317 AD that also included coins of Valerius Valens! Thanks again Secret Saturn!

2D6C8419-5CCB-4173-83D2-97C318182204.jpeg.2282ca3d7bf0dc70a4baf17fb619eb07.jpeg

52C8B4DB-3C75-4202-9FA1-9779F766449D.jpeg.1898c1c4b1ebf3a60bd3abed6b4ca8ce.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 3