Secret Saturnalia 2023

Curtisimo

One can seldolmly go wrong with a denarius with nice toning or an AE with a really great patina.  The below coin is otherwise non-descript, yet has a great patina.  You might want to avoid a corrosion pit, but I was too lazy to dig up another great patina.

Trajan(98-117).Dupondius-Rome-R_AbundantiaRICII42827mm12.71g6h-nicegreenpatina.jpg.b55f02ea64571e0c1ae15a432a581cb6.jpg

I recently bought a Cassius denarius with lovely toning and spectacular artwork.  The only problem, the plough had met the reverse...  Better the reverse than the obverse. Gash or not, I just had to have it when I saw it. I think it was only around 60 bucks.

It depends what Roman collector you got, I suppose.  My particular strategy is to find a common coin in really nice shape, or the nicest shape I can find for the budget.  But I also like to make sure the coin is just right. I also ask myself, would I be happy to receive this coin?

Although I'm quite guilty of this myself, don't put too much pressure on yourself. Pro-tip; Very few people will be miffed about receiving a really cool-looking coin.

One can rarely go wrong with a really pretty coin, which doesn't always have to be terribly expensive. There are plenty of sub $100 pretty coins.

Coins of Domitian are generally fairly inexpensive and can be quite impressive, especially the ones with the later, idealized portrait.  Price inflation has hit Nero pretty hard.  One's hard-pressed to find a not totally terrible imperial AE of his for under $100. Sestertii of Trebonianus Gallus are also fairly inexpensive and can be neat.

The Severan as-sized Balkan provincials often have nice patinas very similar to this. An added bonus is that some of the busts can be ornate, such as the Caracalla one with the shield.

I pretty much have to have several genres pre-picked, ready to go.  I prefer buying from European dealers and buying immediately's about the only way to get it to them on time.

I had to go to plan B last year but my giftee was happy enough with the results.

I'm of the opinion that like/dislike lists are really helpful. While I'm sure anyone would be grateful for an honest effort, I'd prefer that my giftee really like what I get. 

• Like 7

When it comes to ancient coins, there's very little I dislike. Though my collection is heavily Roman, I like coins from all periods of ancient history.

Rare coins, coins with interesting stories or reverse types, portrait coins of fine style, coins with good eye appeal, anything in really nice condition, patina, etc.

Dislikes:

Very common coins in very poor condition. 😉

It's not much to go on but maybe will be helpful to whoever drew me as their recipient. And safe to say I will be more than happy with whatever is given. 🙂 

Io Saturnalia!

Edited by CPK
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, CPK said:

When it comes to ancient coins, there's very little I dislike. Though my collection is heavily Roman, I like coins from all periods of ancient history.

Rare coins, coins with interesting stories or reverse types, portrait coins of fine style, coins with good eye appeal, anything in really nice condition, patina, etc.

Dislikes:

Common coins in poor condition. 😉

It's not much to go on but maybe will be helpful to whoever drew me as their recipient. And safe to say I will be more than happy with whatever is given. 🙂 

Io Saturnalia!

Things I like: Coins
Things I dislike: Not having coins.

Io Saturnalia! 😉

• Smile 3
  • Yes 2
  • Cool Think 1

I'm sure the giftee will like it, and will understand if something happens and it's a bit late.  A start time of around October 5 would allow one more time to order/make it easier for overseas people.

I'm satisfied with both the pick of my giftee and what I picked out.

This is a stocking stuffer which I selected for my dad.

DivusAugustus-(Tiberius)-AEAs9.91g26.5mmnicegreenpatinaexCNGeAuction519389wtag.jpg.5971acf120709aa8c5e25968ddbc800c.jpg

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

It sounds like everything is progressing nicely.

The cursor keeps landing on a spot a few posts up, no matter what, when I visit.  Is there any way for me to fix that?

I'm happy with the choice I made,and I'm fairly confident that my giftee will really like it.

I do have one request, due to my inability to photograph coins, when the time comes, could my Saturn include a pic or the dealer's pic? 

• Like 2

I'm sure the giftee will like it.  You're in France?  The coins I've gotten from Numiscorner and GB Collection have always been fairly timely, through the post.

Looks like we're the only forum to do a Secret Saturnalia exchange this year (was one of the rare times I peeked).   More for us!:classic_biggrin:

Many thanks to Curtismo for organizing the event.

• Like 2
  • Yes 1