Owl from auction - is it authentic?

eligri

Hi!
Ended up buying this owl for 240€ after fees. Was recently brought to attention that the other owl in the auction might be a forgery, and the same people suspected mine might be as well. They could not say with full certainty, but did point out some red flags which I fully agreed with.

I did however also notice a lot of the pictures from the auction were over exposed. So now I am wondering if this coin actually is a forgery, or just if the picture is bad. 

I do have the ability to cancel the lot, but would certainly prefer not doing so (doubt I can get one that is decent like this one within my 250€ budget). But obviously if it is a forgery, I certainly would want to cancel the lot.

Any input that can be provided here?

One thing that was pointed out is that the "berry" is connected to the leaf, when it should be separate. I have however seen authentic copies that have this happened to them, albeit not many.

Thanks a bunch!spacer.png

• Like 7

I don't like the look of it, especially how smooth the leaves look inside the incuse. When in fact it should be the most crisp element protected from wear by the incuse. Also having a test cut doesn't guarantee authenticity. Forgers, both ancient and modern are creative. Look at this fourree owl that was already made with a test cut! vv.jpg.c2ad51014c7dc2a0185ba8f48f521dfa.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, I also reacted heavily on those leaves. As did others. 

But many also said it didn't look obviously fake. So now I'm stuck in a hard spot. 25€ shipping, so maybe worth that risk. Unless it is extremely unlikely that it is authentic.

@eligri the possible reason for the small number of replies in explanation is  it can be dangerous for collectors  to  announce why a coin looks bad. Especially to someone  new to them such as you. Counterfeiters of course  use  critiques of their work  to refine it.  While the photography on that  auction is terrible, and not  of itself enough to cause  much additional concern aside from the fact it's  easier to judge a coin with  good photography, I'd be  cautious. 

There's extensive information on owl  forgeries elsewhere on the internet too. Your search is made much easier by the limiting additions of the test cut and countermark.

This coin is Rönesans Salzgitter GmbH Auktion 5 Lot 1, 16,41g

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=7239&lot=1

A twin has been in Aquila Numismatics Auction 7 Lot 68, this auction was full with owl cast fakes, the picture of this one and descrption has been replaced with another coin. Cast owls were lots 68-103, exception lot 78 (here it is and was not clear if fake or not). Most of them have been replaced later with other coins.

Rönesans Salzgitter GmbH Auktion 5 Los 1.jpg

Aquila Numismatics Auction 7 Los 68.jpg

• Like 12

It was a forgery!

Tried posting earlier, but comment appears to be stuck. The original coin has been found online, and this is a cast of it.

@Nemo did they send the buyers new, authentic, coins? Or did they just cover up their mistake afterwards and cancel all bids?

• Like 4
  • Cry 2

In case it looks  like we are all drunk these  posts came  out in random  order for  different people. No idea why! For example  John Conduitt's  post was well before Nemo's. Ditto Ominus'. At least for me.

@eligri I'm sorry and wish you better luck - sometimes Roma and Leu sell dozens and dozens of this type at once at auction and you can sometimes get a decent one for not much more than you would  have paid, just from sheer weight of  numbers being sold. I'd especially look for their  non-feature auctions where  you may have more success. I'm sorry to repeat this if you are aware, but there's a huge hoard  being sold off at the moment which accounts for some of the huge numbers being sold. No-one really knows  how many are left (there are photos of it, and if they (photos) are not faked, the hoard is staggeringly large) but it seems there are more still being fed to the market.

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

3 hours ago, eligri said:

It was a forgery!

Tried posting earlier, but comment appears to be stuck. The original coin has been found online, and this is a cast of it.

@Nemo did they send the buyers new, authentic, coins? Or did they just cover up their mistake afterwards and cancel all bids?

I commented on it having good eye appeal on Reddit eligri, I should have held my tongue about a type I know little about.  My apologies!

• Benefactor

It seems to me that the owl sold by Leu Numismatik was likely the "seed" coin to make a cast.  There's no doubt in my mind that the OP owl is a fairly good quality cast of the Leu coin. 

One aspect with cast coins, in addition to mushy detail, is the often faint and filled cracks along the edge of the OP coin.  Cracks should be sharp and deep, depending on the size and nature of the crack.  Casts simply cannot replicate them with any degree of accuracy.  Of course these cracks can sometimes be filled with deposits, including horn silver, but the outline of the crack should be sharp and angular. 

Also there's a pin scratch to the left of the owl on the OP coin, someone must have had suspicions about its legitimacy in the past. 

Thanks for the thread!  

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 5

• Benefactor

The OP photo is a really good example of a cast coin with artificially toned surfaces.  Fakes like these often have very similar toning, an odd darker grey that just looks 'off'.  Details are soft and appears a casting seam on the side (but might not be).  Hope you can send it back.

• Like 2