Stamps on coin packages

Heliodromus

I just received a recent auction win from InAsta in San Marino, and was happy to see their "unprofessional" use of stamps plastering the package!

image.png.50399753d6cf2e40c7a8c73fd00b7156.png

I'm always happy when foreign senders do this - normally individuals, but sometimes dealers too. An auction house doing this is a first for me.

Here's a couple other examples I have to hand in my desk drawer.

Hungary

image.png.1fe83e83d575210d3b50d841f7cfb7a7.png

Canada (stamps front + back of package)

image.png.ff957b3dbcbba76fd3a17f4da1c35ba0.png

image.png.386c0b3b2b0f3a0fe0e7c7f1ef4f34bc.png

Mexico (not plastered - but cool "day of the dead" stamps.

image.png.a02f3e338c8f1b8e02356913cf3b319b.png

Those of you who don't buy from overseas are missing out on all the fun!

Does anyone else keep nice examples of stamp-plastered coin packages ? Any to share ?

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 16
  • Thinking 1

• Benefactor

I haven't actually collected stamps since my childhood -- 55+ years ago! But, like you, I enjoy receiving envelopes plastered with stamps (from the USA or elsewhere) from coin dealers, and usually save them. Kirk Davis is one dealer who uses actual stamps, and here are a couple of envelopes he sent me. Note the mixture of old and new:

image.png.2b97e734065f2a39a38746be4776e004.png

image.png.7ee3e481abb560117671a6ad6e45d0ac.png

• Like 13

• Benefactor

Years ago in college I chose to work for Duke University Press for my work study requirement. They started me out opening all the mail they received. I was more than happy to do it because I saved all the stamps! They received letters from everywhere.

The next year they offered to move me up to an assistant, but I didn't want it. I wasn't going into the publishing business and the pay was the same. They never had someone so happy to open their mail! I still have those stamps.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

29 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Kirk Davis is one dealer who uses actual stamps, and here are a couple of envelopes he sent me. Note the mixture of old and new:

Very nice - love those dinosaur mini-sheets. Isn't the inverted biplane a fairly rare error type ?!

I had a French seller once send me a package with decades old Franc-denominated stamps which are actually still legal to use at some fixed Franc-EURO conversion rate!

Edit: I just noticed those Apollo-Soyuz ones - very nice!

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
2 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

Very nice - love those dinosaur mini-sheets. Isn't the inverted biplane a fairly rare error type ?!

If it were a genuine original -- which it obviously isn't! -- I believe it would be worth well over a million dollars!

• Like 1

I too have received many packages, not only ones containing coins, with old stamps plastered on them. I usually don't keep them, but i take photos for reference.

The upside is the fun is seeing the stamps, some of which go back a decade or more. A lot of stamps had amazing designs and themes.

The downside is that many stamps now have more value as postage than they have as collectibles. That market has, for the most part, crashed (with exceptions, of course).

I guess they at least still have some value.

• Like 2

I received this pack in 2017 and kept it simply because it was so unusual.

A seller was going through his parent's belongings after their passing and found two collections. Low value Roman Imperial coins and a collection of unused commemorative British stamps. He decided to sell the coins and use the stamps for postage as they were still legal to use at the time (though this would no longer be the case). Postage was £2.54 and so he has used the stamps ranging from the 1970s through to the 1990s for postage.

20231007_110545.jpg.f2a81b281198c632a88aad772be42535.jpg

• Like 5