Max Thrax sestertius

madhatter

Hi All,

Recently, this sestrertius of Maximinus Thrax, was offered at ebay auction. s-l1600.jpg.92d6d085d8c406738df02b1fd3a75cf3.jpg

I have to say that big bronzes/ brass are not my best area, so i can not confidently say, only by photos, whether coin is genuine, or not.

Аlthough it is quite worn, it has its beauty, but also areas that look strange. 

But the red flag, for me, was, when 30 min before auctions end, I noticed tiny "R", scratched at obverse, at 5 o clock. This is exactly what I would do, if a forgery/replica coin apear in my collection.

Would like to know your thoughts about this coin.

• Like 9
  • Cool Think 1

1 hour ago, madhatter said:

Hi All,

Recently, this sestrertius of Maximinus Thrax, was offered at ebay auction. s-l1600.jpg.92d6d085d8c406738df02b1fd3a75cf3.jpg

I have to say that big bronzes/ brass are not my best area, so i can not confidently say, only by photos, whether coin is genuine, or not.

Аlthough it is quite worn, it has its beauty, but also areas that look strange. 

But the red flag, for me, was, when 30 min before auctions end, I noticed tiny "R", scratched at obverse, at 5 o clock. This is exactly what I would do, if a forgery/replica coin apear in my collection.

Would like to know your thoughts about this coin.

It's hard to say if the eBay coins is real or fake from the poor photos. Size, weight, & photos of the edge would be helpful. The coin does have bubbly surfaces & appears to be smoothed in areas. The micro engraved R is certainly peculiar too. Pictured below for comparison is a coin of the same type from my collection that I'm confident is genuine.

Max.Thrax2coins.jpg.2c02cd61c565cb136bb8b4b341cc655a.jpg

Maximinus I (Thrax), AD 235-238 (struck late 236/7). AE Sestertius: 19.12 gm, 30.5 mm, 12 h. RIC IV 81. Ex  Richard McAlee Collection; Ex CNG Group 87, 1048, May 18, 2011. 

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

Fascinating. I have bought from that seller numerous times and have had nothing but positive experiences and could not recommend them highly enough. Very knowledgeable and offers a wide variety of genuine coins.

I'm definitely for giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Looks like modern scrapes to me.

I'm also not concerned about the surfaces on the reverse, looks more like heavy duty cleaning to me.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Weight is 20.14 and diameter 30mm. I have it on my favourites so can check despite listing ended.

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, madhatter said:

@Steppenfool yes, I bought from this seller too, and have nothing but good experience. The discusion is not about the seller - FYI i wrote him short message, to inform what i noticed. The seller guarantee that coin is genuine.

In case you missed it I made a second reply with my theory. What do you think? @madhatter

Edited by Steppenfool

Oh, the good old fibers/coiled fibers/small pieces of something on a coin's surface. A few times I took photos of my coins (especially small coins) and then viewing the pics on my 24" screen I noticed scratches/lumps/whatever. Then I checked the original photos from the auction houses - not there!

Finally the answer was a tiny piece of fiber, removed in 0.2 seconds. 

I checked the topic when you posted it, @madhatterI am not a master in detecting forgeries but I checked a few examples of known Maximinus I forgeries, this type was not listed. I know this is not a proof of authenticity, but the coin looked fine for me too. 

The decision is yours. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 1