"Numismatic masterpiece recovered in smuggling ring raid"

Roerbakmix

What a strange collection of loot  and so many perps got away! I wonder if it's genuine? Maybe it's all waiting for the Baron to give it provenance?

It all seems so very strange...who would buy it without provenance anyway, it would be unsaleable ?  Maybe it's been looted from a museum in the black sea area? Too many questions too many holes.

I bet the other coins were LRB's!

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

And it now belongs to Greece? Not say Ukraine?

Greece is invoking the ancient “finders keepers” rules?

“ It more than qualifies as protected cultural patrimony under Greek law and is destined for a museum.”

I was thinking the same thing.

Of course it will not be sold. It more than qualifies as protected cultural patrimony under Greek law and is destined for a museum. Right now, all of the artifacts recovered in the raid have been handed over to the Archaeological Museum of Piraeus or to the Numismatic Museum of Athens where they will be studied further and kept safe in preparation for the prosecution of the criminal case.

There's no way this belongs to Greece. It should be returned to Ukraine since it's very clear where this coin was minted.

• Like 5

It seems these cultural laws are flexible...a bit of AN-TEAK  WON TOO  going  on.( Geddit)  What a load of nonsense. Maybe it's from the BM still secret stocks for bonuses to top staff. It's funny how that has gone quiet...I'll guess we'll get a report in a millennia or two, so don't be too hard on the Greeks.

• Big Smile 1
  • Yes 1

5 hours ago, kirispupis said:

Of course it will not be sold. It more than qualifies as protected cultural patrimony under Greek law and is destined for a museum. Right now, all of the artifacts recovered in the raid have been handed over to the Archaeological Museum of Piraeus or to the Numismatic Museum of Athens where they will be studied further and kept safe in preparation for the prosecution of the criminal case.

There's no way this belongs to Greece. It should be returned to Ukraine since it's very clear where this coin was minted.

Yes for Greece to claim this is Greek, you have to believe the colonialists have the rights to the artifacts. Which shuts down the argument about the Elgin Marbles.

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

5 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

Yes for Greece to claim this is Greek, you have to believe the colonialists have the rights to the artifacts. Which shuts down the argument about the Elgin Marbles.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. The colonial powers looted ancient artifacts all over the world in a kind of safari destroying many in the process. The modern greek state didn't go to Ukraine to ''purchase'' the coin from the Russians. Greece found it by chance inside its borders. The coin is part of the wider greek history and heritage. What is Great Britains claim to the parthenon marbles? [Removed by Admin as off-topic]

4 hours ago, DimitriosL said:

i dont think thats a fair comparison. The colonial powers looted ancient artifacts all over the world in a kind o safari destroying many in the process. The modern greek state didnt go to ukraine to ''purchase''the coin from the russians. Greece found it by chance inside its borders. The coin is part of the wider greek history and heritage. What is Great Britains claim to the parthenon marbles? [Removed by Admin as off-topic]

Perhaps not. But the Greeks found a looted coin. Rather than return it to its country of origin, they kept it, apparently because they'd been the colonial power at the time. It's a way to make up your own rules.

The Elgin Marbles, of course, are part of wider world history and heritage. [Removed by Admin as off-topic]

Edited by Restitutor
  • Like 2
  • Yes 1

4 hours ago, NewStyleKing said:

As I stated, it seems the BM is being mined by the curators and the silence is, as usual, deafening. [Removed by Admin as off-topic]

If the government isn't even a democracy like Russia or China, corruption is a moot point. The state can use the law to write their own rules of who gets what. At least it is relevant for the UK and Greece.

Edited by Restitutor

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, kirispupis said:

The place of minting has no relevance under the applicable treaties. The location of a find controls. Since the culprits have conveniently disappeared and can't be questioned regarding the coin's origin, that location is Greece.

• Like 3

• Benefactor
14 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

Agreed,  but there's no suggestion it was found  in Greece. That's  just where the criminal  gangs were doing taekwondo and trading in war-booty.

See my post. Absent other evidence, it was quite literally "found" in Greece. Who is going to speak up to provide contrary evidence? The criminal gang members who seem to have avoided arrest? The Ukrainian government? It has, I think, more pressing concerns.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

Apart from the legal considerations, would Greece consider it ethical to take advantage of the situation in Ukraine from where the coin was likely smuggled? Even though it may be tempting to use the turmoil there to possess the high-value coin, this may lead to reputational damages and litigations from Ukraine when it regains control over Crimea and restores the peace.

Edited by Rand
  • Like 1