"Rich in detail portrait" -- because IT HAS BEEN TOOLED AS ALL GET OUT!

Roman Collector

I'm no Faustina expert - but I think the tooling is pretty obvious.  For those who crave such things there are some sellers on ebay fraudulently selling modern imitations as genuine ancient coins.  checkout "coinsbob" - this appears to be original art masquerading fraudulently as ancient.  I find myself wondering why the talented people who engage in this aren't making much more money in legitimate businesses. (caveat emptor)

Here's a genuine and imperfect Antoninus from AD 139....RIC III Antoninus Pius 569A

AntoninusPiusPaxAs.jpg.d9093f3e8046842f339b055589cb8503.jpg

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 12
  • Gasp 1

I remember I had my doubts when buying this sestertius, although not pristine condition, but still looked a little too good to be true. But after confirming with @Roman Collector, this one wasn't ruined by an idiot. 

image.png.3f7cbc37276fc64aa4580f5cddbd878e.png

But anyway you people are too harsh. The seller said "rich in detail portrait and graceful depictoin of Juno"

He said nothing about "original details" or "original depictoin". 

• Like 9
  • Smile 1

37 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

I remember I had my doubts when buying this sestertius, although not pristine condition, but still looked a little too good to be true. But after confirming with @Roman Collector, this one wasn't ruined by an idiot. 

image.png.3f7cbc37276fc64aa4580f5cddbd878e.png

But anyway you people are too harsh. The seller said "rich in detail portrait and graceful depictoin of Juno"

He said nothing about "original details" or "original depictoin". 

That's a lovely coin, indeed. 

• Thanks 1

I am happy to report that the dealer has responded to my concerns about it being tooled and has withdrawn the item from sale. This is the e-mail from the firm:

Hello [Roman Collector],

thanks for the feedback! It is much appreciated!
Stuff hit the fan with this coin indeed. My bad.
My apologies for the malaise caused.

Kind regards
Harri Friedel

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

On 8/26/2023 at 2:05 PM, Roman Collector said:

I can't warn you enough -- Antonine bronzes circulated for DECADES and if you see a high grade Antonine bronze be VERY leery.

My Antonine AE's are pretty smooth, mostly.  

image.jpeg.b6c6482c5ecffe4c6fc5c853344e4982.jpeg

And here's my favorite  - from an eBay auction.  I was going to bid on it because it is so ridiculous, but the bids kept going up up up.  Are those pearls or does the Empress have a snake coiled all over her head?  Somebody went a little overboard with the burin: 

image.jpeg.1c3e0863d1e563549425b1095d1a709d.jpeg

This one is about as nice as mine get - I'm not entirely sure it didn't get a bit of tooling along the way.  It was affordable thanks to the reverse damage:

image.jpeg.5415543e7b7e01a73a57c306599d66fe.jpeg

Edited by Marsyas Mike
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

hi everyone, thanks for posting this @Roman Collector. Some cases of tooling are obvious, some are less obvious. Overall, I still find it difficult to notice cases of tooling, from photos, where the case is not so evident. If you are ok, I would like to add some photo's taken from coins from a recently published digital auction catalogue. These are just a few of the coins that stand out, and raise questions. Whats going on here, tooling and smoothing? 

tooling1.jpg.f603e42c7a206f930add929fa46cbbca.jpg

This silver denarius jumped out. The portrait is a bit off, but why I show this, is because I noticed the raised edge, which appears on the photo. Is the metal on the obverse worked on, smoothed? I also think I can see quite a few marks on the reverse. Am I correct? 

tooling2.jpg.5c2ec8733ae87eead0097622321db046.jpg

Well, nothing more to add here....

tooling3.jpg.b638b0da714f025515a0892884dbd6bf.jpg

• Like 5