The Courageous Death of Pliny the Elder • August 25, 79 AD

LONGINUS

Another amazing presentation, @LONGINUS! Beautiful coins!

This one is among my favorite nautical coins.

[IMG]
Gratian, AD 367-383.
Roman Æ2 maiorina, 5.90 g, 21.4 mm, 11 h.
Constantinople, AD 383.
Obv: D N GRATIA-NVS P F AVG, helmeted, draped and cuirassed bust, right, holding spear and shield.
Rev: GLORIA RO-MANORVM, Emperor standing facing, head right, on ship, raising right hand. Victory seated at helm. No wreath in field; in exergue, CONΓ.
Refs: RIC 52a (unlisted officina).

• Like 12

Dear @LONGINUS, I don't have sufficiently elegant superlatives to properly acknowledge "By Sea" - from the caption, I am assuming that this is something you created? "Great presentation" doesn't do it justice - one of my favorites of yours from a long series of favorites.  I will share this coin, issued not long after the eruption of Vesuvius with nautical theme, which was thought to have been issued by Titus to invoke the support of the gods after the eruption.  The current thinking is that this coin was issued for the opening of the coliseum.  It comes with a story about how it inspired printers in the 15th and 16th centuries, and was tied to Augustus' favorite adage...more here:

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/make-haste-slowly

image.png.7fe10e318c52bd664ae83be8f01fd631.png

Titus, AD 79-81, AR denarius, Rome, AD 80 (1-Jan to 30-Jun 80)

Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M, laureate head of Titus right

Rev: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P, dolphin coiled around anchor

Ref: RIC 112

This image was painted by Norwegian painter Johan Christian Dahl after he witnessed an eruption on Christmas 1820 and made an oil sketch which became the basis for this 1824 painting given to the Prince of Denmark (future King Christian VIII).  Public Domain Image with thanks to the MET

image.png.aa360eb53e4a14ef8d10a5f9dc35c718.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1