Portraits of the Diadochi

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Thought I would start a thread for coins depicting the successors of Alexander the Great.

The following are those I'm aware of with coins bearing their image, either minted during their lifetime or by their successors.

Demetrios I Poliorketes

Of all the coins depicting Diadochi, Demetrios' are probably the most famous.

331A2485-Edit.jpg.77e272ffcc52395b478849656aeb945d.jpg

Kings of Macedon. Pella. Demetrios I Poliorketes 306-283 BC.
Tetradrachm AR 30 mm, 17,12 g
Diademed and horned head of young Demetrios right / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΥ, poseidon standing left resting foot on rock, monograms at either side.
Newell 90

Seleukos I Nikator

There is a debate whether a young Seleukos is depicted on his victory coinage. The only known image of him was minted by his son Antiochos I Soter. I believe there's also a rare coinage similar to Antiochos' minted at the end of his life. I have neither of those, but I do have this one from Antiochos, depicting Antiochos.

331A1881-Edit.jpg.d9eb71a7697a646caeebd04a92771f17.jpg

Seleukid Empire, Antiochos I Soter AR Tetradrachm
Seleukeia on the Tigris, 281-261 BC
Diademed head to right / Apollo Delphios seated to left on omphalos, testing arrow and resting left hand on grounded bow; ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ to right, ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ to left, monogram to outer left and right.
SC 379.5a; HGC 9, 128g. 16.80g, 29mm, 3h.

Ptolemy I

Ptolemy did mint some coins with his own image during his lifetime, but they're pricy. He was also depicted by his son, Ptolemy II, which I have here.

331A9135-Edit.jpg.4b16911d134ed13463eef5554d3ac4ea.jpg

Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, Ptolemy II Philadelphos
AR Tetradrachm. Tyre, dated RY 30 = 256/5 BCE
14.01g, 25mm, 12h.
Diademed head of Ptolemy I to right, wearing aegis around neck / ΠΤΟΛEΜΑΙOΥ [BAΣΙΛEΩΣ], eagle standing to left; monogram of Tyre above club to left; Λ (date) above monogram to right; A between legs.
CPE 577; Svoronos 657; SNG Copenhagen 488; DCA 20
Ex collection of R. N. Draskowski;
Ex Ephesus Numismatics, North Carolina, USA

Lysimachos

Lysimachos didn't mint any silver coinage AFAIK with his own image (although his coinage with Alexander is famous), however he did mint some rare bronze coins with his own image while still a satrap.

331A1232-Edit.jpg.501300d06c6272e989c721d26e8629f3.jpg

Kings of Thrace. Lysimachos, as Satrap
circa 323-305 BCE
Uncertain mint. Macedonian.
Æ 24 mm, 14,25 g
Diademed head of Lysimachos right /
Lion leaping right; AP monogram below.
Yağiz LIS Series A, 28; Lischine 1150–1; HGC 3, 1496 (c. 196-190 BC[?]); BMC 1; SNG Copenhagen 899

Philetairos

Okay, he's not at the top of everyone's Diadochi list, but he was still a player. A eunuch, he did mint coins with his own image in his lifetime, but they're tough. This one, with his image, was minted by his adopted successor Eumenes I.

331A2604-Edit.jpg.f42583adc9348aec1536b0edefb8b7f9.jpg

KINGS of PERGAMON. Eumenes I
Struck circa 255/0-241 BCE
AR Tetradrachm 29mm, 16.89 g, 1h
In the name of Philetairos. Pergamon mint
Laureate head of Philetairos right
Athena enthroned left, elbow resting on shield to right, crowning dynastic name; transverse spear in background, grape bunch to outer left, A to inner left, bow to right.
Westermark Group V (unlisted dies); SNG BN 1618

• Like 16
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Great thread idea and your portraits are easy better than mine! Sorry I've been busy lately and almost missed it. 

Here's a couple of the great one himself:

3240215_1662447291.l-removebg-preview.png.81ea3a99a68f4515b1b4134ca52dd850.png.2c447719e427b77a98bfc13bbdfb973b.png2177376_1631475959.l.jpg.fe1a056fc309fbe373da4a5ea71f5bed(1).jpg.81ee4686adbc53f8cccc23c74c13e113.jpg

One of my best portraits of his possible half cousin, the ginger, Ptolemy:

thumb-01444q00.jpg.3cccca137c1cc15a9746bd49fc3c996a.jpg.8945f345d336d2f86956a3d3376ade08.jpg

Ptolemy II Philadelphos, 285-246 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 28 mm, 13.00 g, 12 h), Sidon, RY 32 = 254/3 BC. Diademed head of Ptolemy I to right, wearing aegis around neck. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ Eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt; to left, ΣI above monogram of MT; to right, ΛB. CPE 524. Svoronos 739. Crystallized, double struck and with some edge chipping, otherwise, about extremely fine. Purchased from Leu Numismatiks Aug 2021

And either Seleukos, Alexander, Dionysos or a combination of them:

1380684_1600340540.l.jpg.19b691cf8d0de41c29d613a26ddc3eca(1).jpg.5351fb1b6482e6b088f19b0a39f4d440.jpg

And the most celebrated Besieger of all time, Demetrios Poliorketes:

Screenshot_20210815-151813_Chrome-removebg-preview.png.044838dd1f2dccc29850131bb3f35e29.png.0a8602e6f6fb829c6fc68cd23dd9e9ab.png

• Like 12

• 8 months later...

Hi I'm trying to figure out how to start all over again and as I'm looking into collecting the diadochi I found this thread so thought I could keep posting here instead of starting a new one. My idea is start modestly and collect 5 tet-portraits of the most important ones so my question to you is.

If you have to limit the diadochi to say 5 which ones would you pick and why?

My own thinking is following persons as they were the strongest at the time following the years after Alexander's death and had a big impact to the history.

Antigonus I Monophthalmus for being the strongest before the defeat at Ipsus and also father to Demetrius Poliorcetes and forefather for the dynasty that would rule Macedonia until the roman conquest.

Ptolemy I Soter for starting the longest lasting dynasty in Egypt and also forefather to one of the most famous personalities in history Cleopatra.

Seleukos I Nikator for having the largest and strongest empire.

Cassander for playing an important role in the power struggle after Alexander’s death. Killing the son Alexander IV, the wife Roxana and also Olympia the mother.

Lysimachus like the others for creating his own empire and being one of the strongest but also because he has in my opinion one of the most beautiful portraits on his coins, the head of Herakles or Alexander with the horns.

What are your choices, maybe you have another angle or different ideas I’m interested to hear them?

Edited by Spargrodan
  • Like 3

• Benefactor
26 minutes ago, Spargrodan said:

If you have to limit the diadochi to say 5 which ones would you pick and why?

Note that the majority of my website is devoted to this. 🙂

In terms of the question, here's what I would go for.

Ptolemy I Soter - not only was he a major player, but his coinage with Alexander in elephant headdress is gorgeous

Seleukos I Nikator - as you mention he had the largest empire, but his coinage is also extremely interesting

Demetrios I Poliorketes - the issue with his father Antigonos is he produced very little coinage in his own name (and I've yet to see one of those for sale and couldn't afford it if one ever appeared). However, the coinage of Demetrios is fascinating.

Lysimachos - again, his coinage is an absolute classic between the portrait of Alexander and the reverse which strongly influenced coinage through today

The last one is tough. You can see the full list of those I have here. The top choices and their reasoning:

Kassander - the coinage in his name is entirely bronze, but there are some interesting issues. His coinage is definitely cheaper than any of the above.

Philip II - this is going the other way, of course, but besides being very interesting it's nice to go back to where it all started

Antipater - these are all "types of Alexander", but you probably want one of Alexander's famous tets in there. Unless you add a lifetime tet, the top two choices would be Antipater and Antigonos.

Personally, I would go for Philip II of the bunch because he has the most interesting coinage.

• Like 5

Posted · Supporter

Excellent area to specialize in @Spargrodan!

Let's not forget big bro Philip Arrhidaios nor cousin, once removed, Pyrrhos of Epiros, (though, we don't get portraits of either men). 

Out of all the lines Ptolemaic, Seleukid, it's the Antigonid that has my favorite Hellenistic coins. 

I can't wait to see what coins you go with and am happy to have another Alexander fan on the board!

• Like 4

@kirispupis That's an awesome website, definitely very handy for me that is just getting into this area. Thanks for sharing!

I thought Antigonos never minted coins with his own name? Anyhow I have already one of his tet's on the way so this one will check off the boxes for Demetrios and Alexander III. With time I might be able to add a lifetime Alexander and a Demetrios and a Philip II but think I will focus on the other ones for now. But it seems your list is very similar to the one i suggested so I will keep going on that one thanks for all the awesome suggestions!

@Ryro Ahh yeah good to mention Philip III and Pyrrhos as well.

As I'm prioritizing quality over quantity I'm not counting on adding many coins per year, maybe a couple or so but I'm hapy to post them when I get a new one.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor
4 hours ago, Spargrodan said:

I thought Antigonos never minted coins with his own name? Anyhow I have already one of his tet's on the way so this one will check off the boxes for Demetrios and Alexander III.

According to this paper, he did mint some but they are extremely rare.

Seltman, Charles T. “A SYNOPSIS OF THE COINS OF ANTIGONUS I AND DEMETRIUS POLIORCETES.” The Numismatic Chronicle and Journal of the Royal Numismatic Society, vol. 9, 1909, pp. 264–73. JSTOR, http://www.jstor.org/stable/42662217. Accessed 27 Mar. 2024.

I don't recall one ever coming up at auction though.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

According to this paper, he did mint some but they are extremely rare.

Seltman, Charles T. “A SYNOPSIS OF THE COINS OF ANTIGONUS I AND DEMETRIUS POLIORCETES.” The Numismatic Chronicle and Journal of the Royal Numismatic Society, vol. 9, 1909, pp. 264–73. JSTOR, http://www.jstor.org/stable/42662217. Accessed 27 Mar. 2024.

I don't recall one ever coming up at auction though.

Interesting but then as you say these seem to be so rare that the likelihood that we mortal might find a copy is likely to none. But interesting to know for sure!

• Like 1

CelticPhilipTetradrachm.jpg.db3b92b4983ac40521e568577e0443d2.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Kassander. As Regent, 317-305 BC, or King, 305-298 BC. AR Tetradrachm. In the name and types of Philip II. Amphipolis mint. Struck circa 307-297 BC. Laureate head of Zeus right / Youth on horseback right, holding palm frond; below, Λ above torch; oK monogram below raised foreleg.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

3 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

KINGS of MACEDON. Kassander. As Regent, 317-305 BC, or King, 305-298 BC. AR Tetradrachm. In the name and types of Philip II. Amphipolis mint. Struck circa 307-297 BC. Laureate head of Zeus right / Youth on horseback right, holding palm frond; below, Λ above torch; oK monogram below raised foreleg.

Piercing portrait!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

Amazing piece, very nice!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 6:06 PM, kirispupis said:

Ptolemy I

Ptolemy did mint some coins with his own image during his lifetime, but they're pricy. He was also depicted by his son, Ptolemy II, which I have here.

I can add one from the time of reign of Ptolemy I with his portrait. AV triobol or tetarta from Alexandria mint. 

Ptolemytriobol_tetarta.jpg.0651f90d259a62e4058597271722c022.jpg

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

4 hours ago, I_v_a_n said:

I can add one from the time of reign of Ptolemy I with his portrait. AV triobol or tetarta from Alexandria mint. 

Ptolemytriobol_tetarta.jpg.0651f90d259a62e4058597271722c022.jpg

Such a nice coin I've never seen any of these, what are the measurements for a tribol like this?

5 hours ago, Spargrodan said:

Such a nice coin I've never seen any of these, what are the measurements for a tribol like this?

They are tiny: about 10 mm diameter and weight of mine example 1,74 grams.

• Like 1

Today I received my first Diadochi. A Posthumus of Alexander III by Cassander, I'm not really sure if I should spell his name with K or C? As Cassander never minted silver coins with his name I might add a bronze at a later stage to have that covered, but for now I’m focusing on getting my 5 first diadochi tets. Still waiting for my Antigonus to arrive in the post but probably will arrive any day. I was first thinking of going for a Philip II version like the one @Sulla80 posted earlier but when I found this hercules type in such a good condition I decided to go for this type instead. Is it only me or does the head of Hercules instantly makes you think of Buzz Lightyear. 🤣

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Coin_Cassander_Tetradrachm.jpg.59eb4f235a6ed78996a59b9d0583af9f.jpg

Macedon, Kassander

AR Tetradrachm, Amphipolis, 305-297 BCE., 17.14g, 27.00 mm. 9h.

Obv. Head of beardless Heracles right wearing lion skin headdress.

Rev. ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Zeus seated on stool-throne left, eagle on outstretched right hand, scepter in left hand. Symbols (Left Field): Λ, (Left Field): torch, (Beneath Throne): monogram

Price 484

Edited by Spargrodan
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 4

• Benefactor
52 minutes ago, Spargrodan said:

Today I received my first Diadochi. A Posthumus of Alexander III by Cassander, I'm not really sure if I should spell his name with K or C? As Cassander never minted silver coins with his name I might add a bronze at a later stage to have that covered, but for now I’m focusing on getting my 5 first diadochi tets. Still waiting for my Antigonus to arrive in the post but probably will arrive any day. I was first thinking of going for a Philip II version like the one @Sulla80 posted earlier but when I found this hercules type in such a good condition I decided to go for this type instead. Is it only me or does the head of Hercules instantly makes you think of Buzz Lightyear. 🤣

That's a gorgeous tet in incredible condition!

In terms of the spelling, it mostly depends on whether you have a Greek or Roman focus. Most of those who are on the Greek side use a standardized spelling and the Greek names for most gods and heroes. I don't know the term for it, but I'm sure others here do. Here are some examples:

Greek/non-Greek

Kassander vs Cassander
Demetrios Poliorketes vs Demetrius Poliorcetes
Antigonos vs Antigonus
Seleukos vs Seleucus

This also applies to gods and heroes.

Zeus vs Jupiter
Artemis vs Diana
Poseidon vs Neptune
Herakles vs Hercules (when we were in Greece, I would correct family members whenever they referred to 'Hercules')

Of course, there are exceptions.

No one says Alexandros. It's always Alexander.
Similarly, everyone uses Philip instead of Philippos
Some famous players have standardized names. For example, Bucephalus is seen far more than Bukephalos.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

That's a gorgeous tet in incredible condition!

In terms of the spelling, it mostly depends on whether you have a Greek or Roman focus. Most of those who are on the Greek side use a standardized spelling and the Greek names for most gods and heroes. I don't know the term for it, but I'm sure others here do. Here are some examples:

Greek/non-Greek

Kassander vs Cassander
Demetrios Poliorketes vs Demetrius Poliorcetes
Antigonos vs Antigonus
Seleukos vs Seleucus

This also applies to gods and heroes.

Zeus vs Jupiter
Artemis vs Diana
Poseidon vs Neptune
Herakles vs Hercules (when we were in Greece, I would correct family members whenever they referred to 'Hercules')

Of course, there are exceptions.

No one says Alexandros. It's always Alexander.
Similarly, everyone uses Philip instead of Philippos
Some famous players have standardized names. For example, Bucephalus is seen far more than Bukephalos.

Thanks @kirispupis yeah I was happy top snapp up this coin. I'm thinking of making a webbpage dedicated to the diadochi and the histroy of this era, mostly for my own sake as a hobby project but got great inspiration to do it from your site.

The names makes total sense, I knew about the gods but haven't thought much of the historical persons. I will stick to the Greek names as this is a collection of hellenistic coins. When it comes to Herakles I think a certain disney movie had a big part in the confusion of the name.

Edited by Spargrodan
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

but I'm sure others here do.

I was taught it was called classical transliteration, but can find almost no proof of that with the  modern god of etymology, Google.

• Like 2

Posted · Supporter
4 hours ago, Spargrodan said:

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Coin_Cassander_Tetradrachm.jpg.59eb4f235a6ed78996a59b9d0583af9f.jpg

Macedon, Kassander

AR Tetradrachm, Amphipolis, 305-297 BCE., 17.14g, 27.00 mm. 9h.

Obv. Head of beardless Heracles right wearing lion skin headdress.

Rev. ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Zeus seated on stool-throne left, eagle on outstretched right hand, scepter in left hand. Symbols (Left Field): Λ, (Left Field): torch, (Beneath Throne): monogram

Price 484

🤩 That is a stunner! Wonderful style on the portrait, perfectly centered and crisply struck. Congratulations!

• Like 1

@CPK Thanks, I'm very happy with it!

Today Antigonos arrived maybe even better than the Kassander I got yesterday. Two diadochi down and "3" (will be more with time I think 🙃) more to go, I'm thinking of an elephant type for Seleukos those are very pricy though, portrait of Ptolemy for Ptolemy (I love the elephant head but I think the portrait is a better representation and also much cheaper and easier to find) and Alexander with horn for Lysimachus. Also would like to add Demetrios Poliorketes and Antipater. After that maybe Alexander himself with a lifetime version and Philip II. But I'm not in a rush so will wait for specimens that I like.

bgr_793489.jpg

Antigonus I Monophthalmus

AR Tetradrachm, Susa, 316-311 BCE, 16.79 g, 26 mm, 9h

Obv: Head of beardless Heracles right wearing lion skin headdress

Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Zeus seated on stool-throne left, eagle on outstretched right hand, sceptre in left hand, Symbols (Left Field): wreath, (Beneath Throne): ΑΙ, Symbol (Beneath Throne): monogram

Price 3857

Edited by Spargrodan
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 3

13 hours ago, Spargrodan said:

(I love the elephant head but I think the portrait is a better representation and also much cheaper and easier to find)

The price would strongly vary in a very wide range depending from variety, style and condition. This mine "Ptolemy as satrap" tet worth me approximately the same as Alexander's tet above.

TeradrachmPtolemysatrap.jpg.81a3e69b64927835aaedb6c0c2ead838.jpg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Spargrodan said:

Alexander with horn for Lysimachus

This one my favorite! I've shown this tet earlier here but it worth to be shared again and again 😍

Tetradrachm_Lysimachus.jpg.0a0ac43b71527ed741b36a6851d44f88.jpg

Also can be found in gold with not a scary price if choose later Bysantion / Kalchedon mints. Mine stater is from about 190 BCE Bysantion mint.

Lysimachos_Stater.jpg.26bcad6605a539925ddd47a062ca128c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2