Portraits of the Diadochi

kirispupis

13 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

Personally, I've titled my collection People of Philip II, Alexander III, and the Era of the Diadochi very carefully because there is no set definition of who was a Diadochi. The term literally means "successors", so as I noted before we're all technically Diadochi. The following are the guidelines I've devised for my own collection:

• Should have been active sometime between Philip II and the last leaders who directly interacted with a member of Alexander the Great's entourage.
  • Should have had sufficient power to affect minting decisions. They may have been required to mint coins in a particular style, but they should have been able to change minting personelle or mint marks.
  • Should have been active in the city where the coin was minted during the period of its attribution.
  • Must have been mentioned explicitly in the literature
  • Alternatively, may have been named on a coin (or a city named after her/him) during his/her lifetime
  • Assigning a coin to a city/date range is accomplished through the current literature and research. Occasionally I'll fudge things a bit if there's something I believe they may have missed, or if I feel there's a reasonable chance I'm correct (vs in Academics the argument must be far stronger)

To many of these "rules", I have exceptions, because they're my rules.

IMHO, if you only stick to rulers who were named on coinage, or even worse those who were (and are widely agreed upon) to have been depicted on coinage, you're dealing with just a few coins and that's boring.

Fair enough. I like your rules. And most importantly, you like your rules. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Anaximander said:

I will call and raise (tosses a coin of Philip III, struck by Perdikkas, onto the table, and pockets a gold stater of Philip II).VirtualTray.Diadochi(1.2).jpg.aa0606deacebca5fd5d4ec34742c1060.jpg

Very nice bounch of coins, the Demetrios, Ptolemy and Seleukos are my favourties.

I agree Perdikkas should also be tossed in there I will deffenitely keep my eyes open for one. What about Krateros did he have time to mint any coins at all?

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Spargrodan said:

Very nice bounch of coins, the Demetrios, Ptolemy and Seleukos are my favourties.

I agree Perdikkas should also be tossed in there I will deffenitely keep my eyes open for one. What about Krateros did he have time to mint any coins at all?

Krateros AFAIK was never given a satrapy and therefore never technically ruled. He was appointed to replace Antipater in Macedonia, but Alexander died before this could happen and he was then mopped up in the Lamian War.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirispupis said:

Krateros AFAIK was never given a satrapy and therefore never technically ruled. He was appointed to replace Antipater in Macedonia, but Alexander died before this could happen and he was then mopped up in the Lamian War.

Ahh thanks for the explanation! I read that he died early when everything broke loose so thought he never had time to mint coins but yeah if he never was given a satrapy it makes sense.

• Like 2