The epic Byzantine portrait thread

Severus Alexander

2 hours ago, Pellinore said:

Some coins of the Emperor Heraclius have entered my collection over the years, but being in the first place an Orientals collector, what I always looked for are the bronze coins of 12 (and 6) nummi that are said to have been minted during the occupation of Alexandria by the Persians of King Xusro II.
I had one dodecanummium (Latin Greek for "12 nummi coin"), but that was eaten up by bronze disease and I sold it to a friend who's less afraid of that affliction. But a few years ago I was lucky and three toppers came in, a 12 nummi of the large module, a ditto of the small module and a silly coin looking out from the inside of a mirror.

3552snm.jpg.61185965a8c887a00aa2b545d417982e.jpg

3552. Heraclius, 610-641. 12 nummi, Persian occupation of Egypt. Larger module. Alexandria, ca. 618-628. Facing beardless bust of Heraclius with crown set on crescent and surmounted by a cross set on a crescent (!), wearing cuirass; in field to left, star; in field to right, crescent. Rev. Large IB, with cross potent on globe between; in exergue, AΛЄΞ. 24 mm, 16.18 gr. DOC 192. MIB 202a. SB 856. Zeno 251794 and see this Zeno Gallery. This coin "From a European collection, formed before 2005". This issue is usually attributed to the period of the Persian occupation of Egypt, which lasted from 618 to 628.

3551AlexHeracls.jpg.529a08ef80853ccd44cdd6888c9587e0.jpg

3551. Heraclius, 610-641. 12 nummi, Persian occupation of Egypt. Alexandria, ca. 618-628. Facing beardless bust of Heraclius with crown surmounted by a cross, wearing cuirass; in field to left, star; in field to right, crescent. Rev. Large IB, with cross potent on globe between; in exergue, AΛЄΞ. 19 mm, 9.60 gr. 6h. DOC 191. MIB 202b. SB 855. Göbl 8.9. This coin is "From a European collection, formed before 2005".

3553snm.jpg.864ef8808304ad7a089397db71ce84f1.jpg

3553. Heraclius, with Heraclius Constantine, 610-641. AE 12 Nummi, a crude and irregular imitation of a dodekanummion from Alexandria. Irregular mint in Egypt, perhaps under Sasanian occupation. Obv. At the left, the beardless bust of Heraclius Constantine facing; at the right, the draped bust of Heraclius at the right side, with long beard, facing; between them, a long cross. Rev. Cross potent on a triangle = two steps flanked by mirrored B and I! Text in exergue is unreadable. 18 mm, 6.2 gr., 6h.

Cf. Goodwin, T.: Some Aspects of 7th C Egyptian Byzantine Coinage, fig. 6d (for similar type). See also Castrizio, D.: Le monete della necropoli nord di Antinoupolis (2010), both articles on Academia. Castrizio shows 3-5 comparable retrograde coins (in a hoard of 309 pcs), but none exactly like mine. One may distill from these articles that this type of imitation coin was possibly minted in or near Antinoupolis, on the Nile 200 miles upstream from Persia-occupied Alexandria.

It was marked by the auction house "From the collection of J. Knudsen, formed from the late 1970s to the late 1990s."  I found the name of Knudsen (a Danish name, but it could well be German) here on Numis, in a contribution by @Harry G. But apparently nothing more was found out about this collector Knudsen of Hamburg.

Congrats on scoring the scarce Egyptian issues & the amusing barbarous imitation 🤩.

• Like 1

Before this thread moves past the Heraclean coinage I'd like to post an obverse comparison of two solidi in my collection, showing the difference in engraving styles. The coin on the left had dies engraved by a journeyman who was working for the traveling mint & the coin on the right had dies engraved by an experienced engraver working at the Constantinople mint. stylecomparison2solidi.jpg.084204c33494bb856ec59192f8b53ba6.jpg

• Like 12
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Adding on a few more silver pieces to complement @voulgaroktonou's wonderful assemblage.

Heraclius is known for introducing the abundant silver hexagram coinage in the East in response to war with the Sassanids. But in parallel, he also continued the tradition, going back to the time of Maurice, of producing a much smaller issue of "ceremonial miliaresia" with obverse types and legends mirroring the gold series. The "ceremonial" purpose these served remains unclear -- likely they were some sort of imperial donative -- but one presumes beauty took a backseat to function. I give you the flounder emperor:

heraclius_mil.jpg.d2bfe1a06bb645b3b8d97ad19c73785c.jpg

Heraclius, 610-641. "Ceremonial" Miliaresion (AR, 22mm, 3.69 g, 6h), Constantinople, 610-613. dN hERACL [IUS PP AVC]. Diademed and draped bust of Heraclius right / Cross potent on base and two steps between palms. DOC 55, MIB 128, Sear 788.

And now a new pickup from CNG that arrived this week. In the West, the pattern of silver issues was stable relative to the preceding centuries, with the exception of the Ravennate hexagram @voulgaroktonou shared. (Though in DOC, Grierson suggests that attribution is uncertain and posits Thessalonica as an alternative.) Small silver coins continued to be issued at Ravenna and Carthage, with surviving examples from the latter weighing significantly more than from the former. The piece from Carthage below comes from a relatively common issue that likely began with Martina's coronation in 614.

heraclius_half_sil.jpg.b0aa78bcbedc4c35c0383c49d7f33f79.jpg

Heraclius, with Martina and Heraclius Constantine. 610-641. AR Half siliqua? (10mm, 0.60 g, 9h). Carthage mint. Struck 614-641. Crowned, draped, and cuirassed bust of Heraclius facing, beardless / Facing busts of Heraclius Constantine (left) and Martina (right), the former wearing crown and chlamys, the latter wearing crown, long pendilia, and robes; cross above. DOC 233, MIB 149, Sear 871.

Thanks for indulging my first post on this forum that (hopefully) slipped in right before the deadline. I feel lucky to have found this community with so many passionate Byzantine students/collectors, and have learned so much already!

• Like 15
  • Laugh 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

3 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

Before this thread moves past the Heraclean coinage I'd like to post an obverse comparison of two solidi in my collection, showing the difference in engraving styles. The coin on the left had dies engraved by a journeyman who was working for the traveling mint & the coin on the right had dies engraved by an experienced engraver working at the Constantinople mint. stylecomparison2solidi.jpg.084204c33494bb856ec59192f8b53ba6.jpg

@Al Kowsky Wow. That's a huge difference. The portraits on your coin on the right, look so much more realistic, with much finer details, versus the portraits on your coin on the left. Your coin on the right, seems to be an exception, to the rule of simple, unrealistic portraits on Byzantine coins. @Hrefn and @Nerosmyfavorite68 also posted similar Heraclius solidi with portraits of similar realism. I'm not as familiar with Byzantine gold and silver, as I am with Byzantine bronze, but it seems like most of the realistic Byzantine portraits on coins, are on Byzantine gold coins.

@PseudoPsellos Welcome to Nvmis Forvms. Those are very interesting silver Heraclius coins. Yes, you met the deadline for Heraclius coins in this thread. The deadline for each Emperor is 3 pm US Eastern Daylight Savings Time (EDT), therefore your post seems to have been approximately 4 hours before the Heraclius deadline.

Edited by sand
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We’ve covered all three metals rather well thus time. Some truly amazing silver, there, @voulgaroktonou! And your gold, too, @Hrefn! I was glad to see some revolt folles up there. 👍

I have a thing for the early portrait AEs of Heraclius. My favourite portrait is this one, from Nicomedia:

image.jpeg.1c4caa5f5f39d09c2aa45942fe771cdc.jpeg

So angry! 😆

I also like the goggles/glasses style from Cyzicus. Here’s my half, one of my highest grade Byzantine bronzes:

image.jpeg.b44e4ccdf1a69c9e7055d5332869c7b1.jpeg

I should take my own photo of this thing, it’s practically mint state, which doesn’t really come through in the seller’s photo. (I suppose that means it should be slabbed before selling. Sigh.)

I have only one Thessalonica, a portrait style we haven’t seen yet, and which I like very much:

image.jpeg.9a9666444dba9b28478da6a0f9d37109.jpeg

Year 1 half folles from Constantinople aren’t common. I have “better” coins from Constantinople, but portraitwise I like the sad look here:

image.jpeg.30f537b7e6af333c80ff4c7f32ba9a38.jpeg

For fun, here’s an Arab-Sasanian issue based on the Heraclius + Heraclius Constantine issues (obverse) and showing the king-man-bull Gopatshah on the reverse. Quite a mishmash of cultures:

image.jpeg.099e27f16dba924537f64f6b9e9dfd27.jpeg

My best Byzantine depiction of Heraclius Constantine isn’t much to write home about, although as @Nerosmyfavorite68 implies (that is a nice one, Nmf68!), these are typically pretty crappy from all mints:

image.jpeg.f69157017d55021d486436b1fd7fcfa7.jpeg

Finally, here’s a late coin including the much-despised Martina:

image.jpeg.8b73807e68bd1db622c57390ce03e301.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 1

Welcome to the forum, @PseudoPsellos! Looks like you have some amazing stuff, I’m really looking forward to seeing some more. 🙂

Assuming the ceremonial miliaresia were distributed to the crowd on special occasions (e.g. the coronation of a Caesar), I wonder if the person who received your impressively double-struck example felt a bit ripped off. 😆 What a delightful coin!

• Like 3

Those are some nice ones, Severus Alexander!  I especially like the Arab-Byzantine one.

My most recent post had a crappy 805.  I wouldn't have bought it if it weren't 35mm.  Most of my 805's are Allen Berman 'junk box' coins, which are actually not bad, about average for type.

It is pretty rare to find one with facial features,however.  The only one on vcoins/mashops at the time of the Biga buy (the nice one) which had better detail had XF details but corroded and stripped surfaces, and was nearly 5 times the price.

Given the turmoil of the time, one would think that there would be far more freshly minted 805-types hoarded.

I don't have any of the Heraclius 805 types from the provincial mints.  I always wanted a Thessalonica, but they are quite hard to find.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 2

Constans II, 641-668.

When Heraclius died his will (possibly dictated by Martina, his wife) gave the empire to Martina and his sons Constantine and Heraclonas. Martina tried to assume power. Constantine was an invalid and died (was poisoned?) after only three months. Martina and Heraclonas were left, but very unpopular, partly because of their support of a heresy. Demonstrations resulted in Martina and Heraclonas being disfigured and Constantine's 11-year old son elevated. His name had (also) been Heraclius but he took the name Constans (II) and began rule under the regency of the Senate.

The Arabs had conquered Asia and most of north Africa. The Slavs occupied much of the Balkans. Constantinople was under continuous threat. In 663 Constans decided to move the government to Syracuse, Sicily, and stabilize Italy (and remove its riches). For five years the government was in Sicily and his coins from Sicily are common.

image.jpeg.2cf9bb9e30cd8d9ea726b669983bc215.jpeg
24 mm. 4.38 grams.
Sear 1113, Syracuse.
Struck 650/1 (Indiction year 10).
Constans II had a long beard, visible on this coin. The reverse "K" has been turned into a monogram.

Sometimes the mintmark for Syracuse, Sicily, is explicit:

SB1108ConstansII2225.jpg.38a1b40cdd7d1ae55a5e036b06cfbd38.jpg
25-23 mm. 3.97 grams. Sear 1108. Syracuse, Sicily. 
Constans standing I/A for 11 to the right, "I/N/Δ" flat to the left, so this coin is dated to 652/3 by uncommon indictional dating. 
"SCL" below the M for the mint.

image.jpeg.e15187c808d6ad9f1e0752ee764b642f.jpeg

22-20 mm. 3.74 grams. Sear 1005. Constantinople.
This is the first Byzantine AE type with a Greek legend:
ЄN TɣTo NIKA "In this, conquer," the Greek version of "In Hoc Signo Vinces" or "HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS" seen on coins of Vetranio and Constantius II in 350.
Uncial m, with legend: ANA NEO [CIC] or ANANEOSIS = "renewal" [of good times, much like "FEL TEMP REPARATIO" in the 4th century].

Near the end of his reign there are dynastic types:

image.jpeg.9ab04f4a7f27839d64d0824406b98bcd.jpeg

25-20 mm. 4.78 grams. Sear 1013. Constantinople.
Constans II, facing bust with big beard, "K", for his name, to the right.
M with Constantine IV (the next emperor) above and Heraclius and Tiberius to the left and right, each holding a globus cruciger.

• Like 17

Constans II,  son of Heraclius Constantine and grandson of Heraclius, reigned 641–68. He is labelled by his official name “Constantine” on his coins, but he was popularly known as Constans. His time on the throne was troubled by external threats from Muslims in the East to Slavs in the West. Anxiety over these induced him to consider moving the seat of government from Constantinople to the West, settling ca. 660 in Sicily, where he remained until he was killed in 668 while bathing, reportedly struck in the head by a servant wielding a soap dish.

Constans’ coinage is one of the few examples in the Byzantine series illustrating the development of the emperor’s portrait. His earliest issues show a beardless face, followed by a rare transitional issue showing the suggestion of facial hair indicated by dots, to a fulsome beard, and finally to a rampant growth reminiscent of certain members of ZZ Top, or, of the present writer in his late 20s…

Top row: (Mint of all is Constantinople)

Hexagram, 642-47. 6.78 gr. 26.9 mm. 6 hr.   S989; H. 142; DO 48; BNP 1; BM 79; R. 1540. This early issue depicts a beardless Constans.

Hexagram, 647-48 6.43 gr. 25 mm  7 hr    S990; H. 143; DO 49. This transitional class features the beginnings of a beard indicated by a row of dots.

Hexagram, 647-51 6.48 gr. 27.1 mm 6 hr   S991; H. 144; DO 50; BNP 2-8; BM 80-84; R. 1541-42. The emperor’s face here is fuller and is fully bearded.

Bottom row: (Mint of all is Constantinople)

Ceremonial Miliaresion, 659-68   4.21  gr.  20.6 mm 6 hr   S 987; H  141; BM 89; T. 269. Constans, now with a beard that “flows nearly down to the ground” (to quote Pete Townshend’s song “Amazing Journey”) is here accompanied by his son and successor Constantine IV. Comparison with the obverse of the next coin shows that solidus dies were employed for these ceremonial issues.

Solidus, 661-663  4.39 gr. 19.1 mm 5 hr   S 964; H31; DO30g; BNP 60-61; BM 58; R1606. Constans, again with Constantine IV.  On the reverse, Constans’ other sons Heraclius and Tiberius flank the cross on steps.

While reading Byzantine history and numismatics in graduate school in the 1970s, I became convinced for a time that I was Pogonatus himself, as the final image shows. I became a nuisance to my family, friends, and strangers on the bus, by “forbidding discussion of Christ's wills and energies and by commanding acceptance of Scripture and the doctrinal definitions of the five ecumenical councils.” And I had an unreasoning fear of bathing in general and soap dishes in particular. Oh, the follies of youth! 😊

Constans II.jpg

• Like 9
  • Yes 1
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Heart Eyes 7

One of the greatest beards in all coinage...
641_to_668_ConstansII_AE_Follis_01.png.63aa8ae1c08fb40fed301c437116ad38.png641_to_668_ConstansII_AE_Follis_02.png.5a2f9966d7e7a12c0db2017799f90d40.png
Constans II (641-668), AE Follis / 40 Nummi, Syracuse, 652-3, AE 23-27mm. 6g. Constans standing facing, wearing crown and chlamys, holding globus cruciger in right hand; I/H/Δ to l., I/A to right / Large M; cross above; SCL. MIB 208; DOC 179; S. 1108

• Like 15

Of Constans I only have this curious overstrike, it's difficult to recognize what's what. But the bearded face is there clear enough. 

3521ConstansIIoverstrikect.jpg.49ab82a6474e17660fc0281c9c8e2625.jpg

3521. Byzantium, Constans II. Follis. Overstrike. Obv. Portrait of Constans with long beard. Rev. unclear. Sicily, Syracuse 650-652. Sear 1107. 

• Like 14

Keeping the beards flowing...

constans_ii_mil.png.0812dcb506decea695696c9a4024edec.png

Constans II, with Constantine IV. 641-668. AR Ceremonial Miliaresion (18mm, 4.05 g, 6h). Constantinople. Struck 659-668. Facing busts of Constans, with plumed helmet and long beard, and Constantine, beardless, draped, and crowned; cross above / Cross potent set on globe on three steps; palm fronds flanking. DOC 47, MIB 141, Sear 987.

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 3

8 hours ago, PseudoPsellos said:

Constans II, with Constantine IV. 641-668. AR Ceremonial Miliaresion (18mm, 4.05 g, 6h). Constantinople. Struck 659-668. Facing busts of Constans, with plumed helmet and long beard, and Constantine, beardless, draped, and crowned; cross above / Cross potent set on globe on three steps; palm fronds flanking. DOC 47, MIB 141, Sear 987.

Such an attractive coin. It looks like an overstrike, by the way. What could be the undertype?

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Well I have a Constans II wedge-shaped follis I have never photographed. Will try to locate it before we move on to the next guy. A couple of comments: (1) the gold in this emperor features tolerable to good portraiture whereas the bronze leaves a lot to be desired. (2) I wasn't aware that he had moved the administration to Sicily because of the constant threat to the capitol by the Umayyads and other foes. (3) I believe Greek fire came in handy during a penultimate naval battle outside the lofty walls of the city against an Arab fleet.

Edit: ChatGPT says:

"Greek fire was an incendiary weapon used by the Eastern Roman Empire beginning c. 672. It was used to set fire to enemy ships and consisted of a combustible compound emitted by a flame-throwing weapon. Some historians believe it could be ignited on contact with water and was probably based on naphtha and quicklime1. Greek Fire would become the most potent weapon of Christendom for over 700 years"

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, PseudoPsellos said:

Constantine IV is nearly the size of his father here. Compare it to this hexagram with a much younger figure.

S0996.02.jpg

• Like 14
  • Cookie 1

7 hours ago, wittwolff said:

I wonder if we will include the Holy Roman Empire in the thread once we reach it?

I'm not an expert in the Holy Roman Empire. Here are my thoughts. One could argue that, in a sense, the Holy Roman Empire was related to the Byzantine Empire, because both empires called themselves the "Roman Empire". The Holy Roman Empire has 1 problem, in that, there was a 324 year gap, between the fall of the Western Roman Empire in 476 AD, and the creation of the Holy Roman Empire in 800 AD, when Pope Leo III crowned the Frankish king Charlemagne as "Roman Emperor". The Holy Roman Empire was a separate political entity, from the Byzantine Empire, as far as I know. Also, when people speak of the "Byzantine Empire", they usually don't include the Holy Roman Empire. The Holy Roman Empire may have been Roman, in a sense, but it was not Byzantine, according to most definitions of "Byzantine". For me, if this thread were called "The Epic Roman Portrait Thread After 476 AD", then it might make sense, to include the Holy Roman Empire. But, because this thread is called "The Epic Byzantine Portrait Thread", I am leaning toward not including coins of the Holy Roman Empire, except perhaps for certain interactions between the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire. However, it's an interesting debate, which was more Roman, the Byzantine Empire, or the Holy Roman Empire.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sand said:

I'm not an expert in the Holy Roman Empire. Here are my thoughts. One could argue that, in a sense, the Holy Roman Empire was related to the Byzantine Empire, because both empires called themselves the "Roman Empire". The Holy Roman Empire has 1 problem, in that, there was a 324 year gap, between the fall of the Western Roman Empire in 476 AD, and the creation of the Holy Roman Empire in 800 AD, when Pope Leo III crowned the Frankish king Charlemagne as "Roman Emperor". The Holy Roman Empire was a separate political entity, from the Byzantine Empire, as far as I know. Also, when people speak of the "Byzantine Empire", they usually don't include the Holy Roman Empire. The Holy Roman Empire may have been Roman, in a sense, but it was not Byzantine, according to most definitions of "Byzantine". For me, if this thread were called "The Epic Roman Portrait Thread After 476 AD", then it might make sense, to include the Holy Roman Empire. But, because this thread is called "The Epic Byzantine Portrait Thread", I am leaning toward not including coins of the Holy Roman Empire, except perhaps for certain interactions between the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire. However, it's an interesting debate, which was more Roman, the Byzantine Empire, or the Holy Roman Empire.

I think Voltaire's quote sums it up: "The Holy Roman Empire was in no way holy, nor Roman, nor an empire."

Regardless of what one thinks about the quote - it may possess more wit than accuracy - I agree that the Holy Roman Empire doesn't belong in a thread dedicated to Byzantine coins. They were separate empires. It could have its own thread, of course.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Minted at Syracuse during the reign of Constans II between September 641 - 15 July 668. Obv. No Legend. Constans (on l.), with long beard, and Constantine IV (on r.), beardless, stg. facing, each wearing crown; Constans wears military attire,  and holds long cross; his son wears chlamys and holds gl.cr.  Rev. Large M; above, Monogram 35; in ex., SCL; to l., Heraclius, beardless, stg. facing, wearing crown and chlamys, and holding gl. cr.; to r., similar figure of Tiberius. BCVS #1110

96 CONSTANS II OBV.jpg

96 CONSTANS II REV1.jpg

• Like 12

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, ewomack said:

I think Voltaire's quote sums it up: "The Holy Roman Empire was in no way holy, nor Roman, nor an empire."

Regardless of what one thinks about the quote - it may possess more wit than accuracy - I agree that the Holy Roman Empire doesn't belong in a thread dedicated to Byzantine coins. They were separate empires. It could have its own thread, of course.

I liked the mention of Holy Roman Empire during a Saturday Night Live skit years ago. The character Linda Richman (Mike Myers) during Coffee Talk said "The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy nor Roman. Discuss. Talk amongst yourselves"

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I don't have any photographed examples of Constans II 🥹. I should have added one in my recent buy. 98% of mine are 1990's era 'junk box' coins from Allen Berman.

Sicily is my favorite attainable mint of Constans II.  (Ravenna's always my favorite mint).

I could have sworn I had a solidus.  I had one ready to buy from Jon Kern, but then I noticed the 'Jerusalem' Heraclius on the table.  I guess I never got around to getting one.

There's been some spectacular silver examples posted.  I'll have to wait until Constantine IV to participate. 🫥

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 1

• Benefactor

I bought these two coins at different times just because the excellent condition. 

33c.jpg.d463fdfd389e237e297c4dfca341ca10.jpg

Constans II, with Constantine IV, 641-668. Follis (Bronze, 23.5 mm, 4.06 g, 6 h), Syracuse. Constans on left, resting right hand on hip and holding long staff in left, and Constantine IV, on right, holding globus cruciger in right hand, standing facing. Rev. SCL Large M; monogram above. Anastasi 157. DOC 180. MIB 209. SB 1109. A wonderful example, well struck and with an attractive brown patina. Good very fine.

And this one, also very nice condition and it came with an old ticket for Spinks and Son. By appointment to her Majesty the Queen Medalists. 

32c.jpg.68b9a59c6fd9f2a0e7213d94716279b9.jpg

Constans II and 3 sons, SB 1110 9.21gm, edit  Weight is wrong 3.71gm 22.5mm

Edited by Simon
weight correction
  • Like 14
  • Yes 1
  • Cookie 1

image.jpeg.e77af278bc955d57b6bbe5f83413e57c.jpegimage.jpeg.00f0fe43b9bb9512724eba009b82ceb2.jpegimage.jpeg.160fd0535e8d7ef6489348b060ff50a0.jpegimage.jpeg.ec031db4f1fce147c1736c0472354987.jpeg

Sorry about the varying sizes, these pictures were taken a few years ago.  I promise you that the obverses and reverses are the same size.  All Constantinople mint except as noted.  

#1 Is a mildly controversial issue that some attribute to Heraclonas, Berk 141, S-937.   This example is better than the Berk and DO plate coins.  Heraclonas would have been 12 years old when he became emperor, and usual conventions of portrait size would suggest the emperor here is a child.  Constans II was his successor at age 11.  If this is not Heraclonas, then I believe there was no coinage issued in his name, which seems unlikely, given his mother Martina’s interest in promoting her son’s position.  Superior 30 May 1990 lot 7379

#2 Is a solidus of Constans II.  Berk 143, S-938.  Purchased from A. Saslow, 7/1989.

#3 Similar except exergue has CONOB+.  S-141.  Officina epsilon was unpublished when I made the tag for this coin.  I am not sure if that is still true.  From the same Superior Galleries sale as #1 above, lot #7380

#4 Constans II and Constantine IV.   Sear-959.  From Edward J. Waddell, date not recorded.

#5 A similar obverse to the coin above, but this is from the Syracuse mint.  This has the obverse of S-1086 and the reverse of S-1085E.  Victory is spelled incorrectly, VICTRIA.  The elongated “A”s of Sicily are present.  Constans’ other sons Heraclius and Tiberius featured.  I am not sure what to make of the officina KU.  Or is cIKU for Sicilia?  No idea.  From Jerome Kern, 12/91.  

• Like 13
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 6