The epic Byzantine portrait thread

Severus Alexander

9 hours ago, Hrefn said:

Justinian II image.jpeg.7f2ebdc4b8df68d465ff0618f49a6e5e.jpegimage.jpeg.8d795d7a99bc781f51d6f11a16f20ff2.jpeg

The first coin is an example of Justinian II’s first portrait style and the earliest solidus of the reign.  4.45 grams, Seaby-1243, Berk-184.  The obverse is from a rusty die but the field must have been re-polished, making the coin resemble a modern frosted proof.  Same obverse die as Spink Auction 13 July 2000, the Anton Dreesmann collection, #529.   Purchased from Harlan Berk, auction 4/93, #68.  Same obverse die as CNG 477 #671 which is not as rusted but not a great strike.  That coin has a different reverse die, officina 11 (IA).  This coin is officina theta which is number 9 of the Constantinople mint.  

The second coin features a slightly older, bearded bust.  4.43 grams.  Berk-185.  Purchased from Harlan Berk, 1/1993.  This variety is frequently found clipped, in my experience.

And from his second reign:

image.jpeg.a2a8178427fd952494ee42f52fb7ac7a.jpegimage.jpeg.25fa9a504d1e32c7f831b0c29b1ef6a7.jpeg

Justinian II was the first to place the image of Christ on the coinage. These two coins feature a Semitic portrait which I suspect follows an old tradition of depiction on icons now lost.  The obverse legend on the left is DN IUSTINIANUS MULT... (probably multos annos.). Reverse is DM IHS CHS REX REGNANTIUM.  Freeman and Sear mail bid sale #5 lot 553 purchased spring 1999.

Obverse of the second coin shows Justinian II and his son Tiberius.  Complete legends on both sides.  Also from Freeman and Sear mail bid sale #3 lot 845 purchased 10 Dec 1996.

Believe it or not, the final coin is also a portrait of Justinian II, but struck by Romoald the Duke of Beneventum, in the days when it was still almost inconceivable that anyone but the Emperor should grace the obverse of a gold coin.  Romoald does insert his initial into the field on the left of the reverse.

Solidus of Romoald II Duke from 706-31 AD, minted in Beneventum.  It copies a solidus of Justinian II, for this collection’s example of the prototype see above.  

Obv: DN IUSTINIANUS   Cf MEC (1) #1087 which weighs 3.77 grams.  This issue has a high gold content averaging 72%.   From I. Vecchi Numorrum Auctiones 12 lot #1149 which may mean it is from the Subjack collection also. 

image.jpeg.b07c36350f1b81a009f683ad1ce309a0.jpegimage.jpeg.41ee2198d6dc59f5b14ce3cb2140e9a2.jpeg

Hrefn, This is a breathtaking group of solidi 🤩!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

Hrefn, This is a breathtaking group of solidi 🤩!

Al, it is easier to build a collection when you are patient and buy over a period of years.  I know from your postings that you also are very selective also, and take the long view.  

If I were advising a new collector, my first admonition would be to collect for the fun of it.  Find an area you enjoy, perhaps where the history of the era draws you in or the artistry of the coins speaks to you.  Concentrate most of your purchases in that area, and buy the best coins you can afford.  For many years I would attend the Bay State coin show and purchase the best Byzantine gold solidus I could buy.  Usually I would acquire only one.  

When I participate in an auction, it is rare that I win more than one coin.  

That said, numismatics is a hobby.  For those of us who are amateurs, being overly disciplined in one’s purchases would take some of the fun out of it.  It is not as if we need behave like authorized agents for some University’s Coin Room.  So coins which pique your interest which lie outside of the focus of the collection are perfectly allowable.  Witness the Celtic stater which is my avatar;  I traded some coins which were peripheral to my collection for it.  But a reasonable degree of focus, I believe, builds both a better collection and a more knowledgeable collector. 

TL:DR  Collect for fun.  Concentrate your purchases, but don’t be a fanatic about it.  Buy the best practicable for your core collection.  Be patient.  And Buy the Books!

Last, a random image to redeem this overly long comment (not Justinian II)

image.jpeg.8befbe92309d08537e2ee8d4c369adfc.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 1

46 minutes ago, Hrefn said:

Al, it is easier to build a collection when you are patient and buy over a period of years.  I know from your postings that you also are very selective also, and take the long view.  

If I were advising a new collector, my first admonition would be to collect for the fun of it.  Find an area you enjoy, perhaps where the history of the era draws you in or the artistry of the coins speaks to you.  Concentrate most of your purchases in that area, and buy the best coins you can afford.  For many years I would attend the Bay State coin show and purchase the best Byzantine gold solidus I could buy.  Usually I would acquire only one.  

When I participate in an auction, it is rare that I win more than one coin.  

That said, numismatics is a hobby.  For those of us who are amateurs, being overly disciplined in one’s purchases would take some of the fun out of it.  It is not as if we need behave like authorized agents for some University’s Coin Room.  So coins which pique your interest which lie outside of the focus of the collection are perfectly allowable.  Witness the Celtic stater which is my avatar;  I traded some coins which were peripheral to my collection for it.  But a reasonable degree of focus, I believe, builds both a better collection and a more knowledgeable collector. 

TL:DR  Collect for fun.  Concentrate your purchases, but don’t be a fanatic about it.  Buy the best practicable for your core collection.  Be patient.  And Buy the Books!

Last, a random image to redeem this overly long comment (not Justinian II)

image.jpeg.8befbe92309d08537e2ee8d4c369adfc.jpeg

A beautiful lightweight!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voulgaroktonou said:

A beautiful lightweight!

A friend suggested I edit my compliment, so as to not mislead anyone into thinking I meant by the word "lightweight" something negative! So that nihil obstat, I rephrase it as: "That coin with the *+* in exergue is a beautiful lightweight solidus" !

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

Sorry to have been AWOL! I missed some fantastic Constantine IV and Justinian II in all metals. There are so many astounding coins up there I won’t even attempt to comment on them. Instead I’ll just make a quick catch-up post.

My favourite Constantine IV portrait is this innocent looking one on a Constantinople decanummium:

image.jpeg.ffe1fd2f4145797a8e7a558a20eacaf0.jpeg

I also have a dynastic issue from Syracuse:

image.jpeg.282a177ecf6b135ee1c00ad036909187.jpeg

I’d like to get one of his monster folles but haven’t been able to land one yet.

Justinian II used to be more difficult to come by, but his AEs seem to be showing up at auction more often, no doubt coins coming out of Turkey. I have some of these, but my best 1st reign portrait is still this one on a tremissis I’ve had for a while:

image.jpeg.666e7790570f677b7fc7258780d71604.jpeg

Late first reign AEs are quite rare. This goggle-eyed portrait is from year 8 or (most likely) 9. I haven’t seen another:

image.jpeg.24aef0a2d00e904d9240e853b6e93221.jpeg

Finally, here’s my only 2nd reign portrait:

image.jpeg.f2694e4e9de807a23f5713508f675cbc.jpeg

(Well, except as an undertype on my Anastasius II, which you’ll see shortly.)

Some difficult ones coming up!

• Like 12
  • Yes 1

On 6/19/2023 at 11:48 AM, sand said:

@Severus Alexander Nice Constans II coins. I especially like your early Sicilian beardless bronze follis, and your Carthage coin. It looks like, your early Sicilian beardless bronze follis, is the same type, as my early Sicilian beardless bronze follis in my post at the top of this page in this thread (Syracuse mint).

Thanks, @sand! Yours looks to me like it is the short-beard type, but it’s hard to say. Looking again at my photo, mine may also be the short beard type, though I always thought it was beardless. I will have to get it out and have a closer look, comparing it to other examples, including yours.

• Like 2

Leontios, 695–98, had a military career going back to Constantine IV. Although he campaigned effectively against the Arabs in 686, in 692 Justinian imprisoned him, perhaps for subsequent failures in Asia Minor. He was released in 695 and created strategos (military governor) of Hellas but in that same year, he revolted and deposed Justinian. The Byzantine sources call him Leontios but his coinage as well as western sources indicate that he ruled officially as Leo. In 698, he  was overthrown by Tiberios III, who gave HIM a nose job and imprisoned him in the Dalmatou monastery.

Follis, Constantinople, 695/6. 7.65 gr. 28.1 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1334; Hahn 32. Ex Protonotarios Collection.

S1334.jpg.ae85d07c33566b7c9ed2c4d93fe2db89.jpg

Half Follis, Constantinople, 695/6. 5.27 gr. 23.1 mm. 12 hr. Sear 1335; Hahn 33. The obverse is anepigraphic but his characteristic broad, bearded face reveals his identity.

S1335YR1_03.jpg.4bb451ec0b5798330d7dec95fa05f03c.jpg

Half Follis, Constantinople, 695/6. 3.39 gr. 22.2 mm. 1 hr. Sear 1335; Hahn 33. Overstruck on a radiate fraction of Maximianus. Of the host coin details remain of the obverse legend…MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, plus the back of the portrait with the radiate crown and wreath ties. On the reverse are visible details of the laurel wreath.

Three similar overstruck bronzes of Leontius were published for the first time In Spink’s Numismatic Circular, Jan. 1971, p. 7; the undertypes of these coins were all Tetrarchic radiate fractions with vota wreaths on the reverse as this coin, one of Maximianus and two of Constantius I as Caesar. The author conjectures that a hoard of radiate fractions may have been discovered early in Leontius’ reign and “used as ready - made flans for this issue.”  

S1335YR1_04a.jpg.68c97161d4610644d8968ec504a08681.jpg
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Leontius, late 695 to late 698.
This thread allows Justinian two days and Leontius two days, which seems disproportionate. I could show additional Justinian coins, but I have only one Leontius and it is in terrible shape.

image.jpeg.b7fe71b9e40d947f1c01edeb2f382feb.jpeg

Ragged 19-16 mm. 2.68 grams.
Emperor standing facing, holding akakia and globus cruciger
Large M with monogram above and SCL (for Sicily, Syracuse) below
Sear 1344.
DOC 2.2 Leontius 18, page 619, plate XL. (Their four are larger at 21-23 mm.)

• Like 13

Regret to report that no long run of solidi from Leontius are to be expected from *** THE HREFN COLLECTION***,  

and Tiberius III isn’t looking very likely, either.  I hope the interruption in posting does not cause us to lose focus.

image.jpeg.baab6922238b106a007eaaa005b6fc31.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Cookie 1

• Benefactor

From now on my participation will be sporadic. I have some ninth century bronze and silver pieces and some tenth and eleventh century gold and Jesus anonymous folles. I need to Focas more on my seventh and eighth century gaps...after this Byzantine dalliance I need to go back to looking for Gordian I and II sestertii, next on the list of things to buy

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 2
  • Smile 1

I don't have any coins of Leontius at the moment.  But for Tiberius III I do have stuff! 

Apsimar came to power at the head of the rebelling fleet Leontius sent to save Carthage.  Tiberius III did have one of of the most stylish downfalls, however.  When Justinian II escaped his Cherson prison and retook Constantinople, both the de-nosed Leontius and Tiberius were sat in the Hippodrome, with Justinian's foot on both, while the crowd bayed about the lion and the adder.  After that, poof.

My first Tiberius III was this ghastly example. Like Beavis would say, "This sucks!"  Very soon after that came my favorite Byzantine gold in my collection...

52529.jpg.8f2ec120f54b38d43b5eae251a671990.jpg

Attribution: Sear Byzantine 1395 Syracuse mint
Date: AD 698-705
Obverse: Tiberius standing facing, holding globus cruciger and long cross
Reverse: Large M, palm branch to either side, SCL below
Size: 21.75mm
Weight: 3.73 grams

My grade: aVG

And now for something completely different:

TiberiusIII-698-705-AVSolidus-S1360-4_46g.officinaBXFflatstrikeobvsltdbstrrx.jpg.aeb7152ca939f0cbc2492be51d849f2d.jpg

Sear 1360.  4.46g.  officina B

ex: Dr. Busso Peus.

gXF by wear, slightly flat strike on obv. and slight die shifting on rx. This coin has by far the most mirror-like surfaces of any gold I have.

The slight striking problems made the coin hang around and be affordable.  It's just a really cool coin.  I also really love the bust type. Apsimar the admiral produced some good coins.

By the way, where are the maps in this thread coming from? I'd like to visit the site.

As always, the History of Byzantium podcast is recommended as well as Totalus Rankium.

Unless I buy some pieces, with a couple of exceptions, there will be a dry period until the 900's.  I never cared much for the XXX/NNN type coins and my examples of the relevant emperors that I do have are unphotographed.

• Like 14

Tiberius III, late 698 - Summer 705

The Syracuse mint was very active. Sear 1395 may be the most common type and it comes in various sizes. First I got a small 17 mm example, 2.56 grams.

image.jpeg.5f0ccb3ca383dfa2aa00eb708827d252.jpeg

It is easy to identify even though it lacks an obverse legend. Above the "M" is a monogram for Tiberius with at least the T, B, E, and P clear, and  ɣ at the top. Palm branches on on either side. 

Here is a coin with the same Sear number but 26.5 to 24 mm instead of the smaller 17 mm. 3.96 grams.

SB1395TiberiusIII2263.jpg.fb5b12d5c4abe867a5d7112d1f8036d4.jpg

Same monogram. It is supposed to have the mintmark SCL in exergue, but it is missing on both coins.

Sear 1395. DOC 2.2 32, page 638. two photos on plate XLII, one small and one larger, neither better than these.
MIB III Tiberius III 79, page 273 and 2 images on plate 45, neither better than the second one above.

These poor coins are about as good as the published examples in DOC and MIB III, then you know copper coins of Tiberius III tend to be in poor condition.

(However, I think we have a NF member who can show us something nicer.)

Edited by Valentinian
typo
  • Like 13
  • Cookie 1

I like Tiberius III:

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear 1395, DOC II.32)

Obv: No inscription; Bust facing, wearing crown with cross. In right hand, spear held before body. On left shoulder, shield with horseman device. In left field, star
Rev: Large M between two palm branches, above monogram; SCL in exergue

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear 1395, DOC II.32) Obv: No inscription; Bust facing, wearing crown with cross.  In right hand, spear held before body.  On left shoulder, shield with horseman device.  In left field, star Rev: Large M between two palm branches, above monogram; SCL in exergue

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear 1395, DOC II.32) Obv: No inscription; Bust facing, wearing crown with cross. In right hand, spear held before body. On left shoulder, shield with horseman device. In left field, star Rev: Large M between two palm branches, above monogram; SCL in exergue

• Like 11
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1366; DOC II.8; MIB 73)

Obv: DTibЄRI-ЧƧPЄ-AV or similar; Bust facing, with short beard, wearing crown with cross on circlet and cuirass, and holding spear diagonally, across his body and shield with horseman device
Rev: Large M; cross above, to left, A/N/N/O, to right, regal year; Γ below; CON in exergue

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1366; DOC II.8; MIB 73) Obv: DTibЄRI-ЧƧPЄ-AV or similar; Bust facing, with short beard, wearing crown with cross on circlet and cuirass, and holding spear diagonally, across his body and shield with horseman device Rev: Large M; cross above, to left, A/N/N/O, to right, regal year; Γ below; CON in exergue

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Follis, Constantinople, RY4 (Sear 1367; DOC II.11b)

Obv: Emperor standing, wearing military garb, paludamentum, and crown with cross; In right hand, globus cruciger and in left, long cross
Rev: Large M; cross above, to left, A/N/N/O, to right, Δ; B below; CON in exergue
Dim: 29 mm, 3.30g

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Follis, Constantinople, RY4 (Sear 1367; DOC II.11b) Obv: Emperor standing, wearing military garb, paludamentum, and crown with cross; In right hand, globus cruciger and in left, long cross Rev: Large M; cross above, to left, A/N/N/O, to right, Δ; B below; CON in exergue Dim: 29 mm, 3.30g  Overstruck as usual, on an indeterminate host coin

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Half Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1368; DOC II.12; MIB 75)

Obv: DTibЄRI-ЧƧPЄ-AV or similar; Bust facing, with short beard, wearing crown with cross on circlet and cuirass, and holding spear diagonally, across his body and shield with horseman device
Rev: Large K; cross above, to left, A/N/N/O, to right, regal year; Γ below; CON in exergue

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Half Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1368; DOC II.12; MIB 75) Obv: DTibЄRI-ЧƧPЄ-AV or similar; Bust facing, with short beard, wearing crown with cross on circlet and cuirass, and holding spear diagonally, across his body and shield with horseman device Rev: Large K; cross above, to left, A/N/N/O, to right, regal year; Γ below; CON in exergue

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear 1396, DOC II.33; Anastasi 341; MIBE 80)

Obv: Tiberius standing facing, wearing crown, holding long cross and globus cruciger
Rev: Large M; crosses flanking, monogram above, star below; SCL in exergue

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear 1396, DOC II.33; Anastasi 341; MIBE 80) Obv: Tiberius standing facing, wearing crown, holding long cross and globus cruciger Rev: Large M; crosses flanking, monogram above, star below; SCL in exergue

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Half Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1369; DOC II.13; MIB 76)

Obv: Legend normally illegible or only fragmentary; Tiberius standing facing, wearing crown and military costume, and holding globus cruciger and long cross
Rev: Large K between A/N/N/O and Δ; above, cross(?); beneath, officina letter Δ
Dim: 3.7 g, 27 mm

Byzantine Empire: Tiberius III Apsimar (698-705) Æ Half Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1369; DOC II.13; MIB 76) Obv: Legend normally illegible or only fragmentary; Tiberius standing facing, wearing crown and military costume, and holding globus cruciger and long cross Rev: Large K between A/N/N/O and Δ; above, cross(?); beneath, officina letter Δ Dim: 3.7 g, 27 mm

• Like 11
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

In 698, Leontios dispatched a fleet to relieve Carthage, which was being threatened by the Arabs. The expedition was a failure, and Carthage and the Exarchate of Africa passed permanently  out of Roman control. Rather than return to Constantinople to report their failure, the leaders of the fleet elected one of their number, a vice admiral of probable Germanic origin named Apsimar as emperor. Hastily assuming the more Roman name of Tiberios (III), the new emperor sailed to Constantinople and overthrew Leontios. During his reign, 698–705, the new emperor strengthened the empire militarily. However, in 705, the exiled Justinian secretly entered the City, reassumed power, and overthrew Tiberios. The new emperor executed Tiberios and Leontios, who had been imprisoned when Tiberios had rebelled against him.

Solidus, Constantinople, 698-705 4.32 gr. 19.5 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1360; Hahn 1; BM 6; T. 6. When Tiberius’ portrait appears on his coinage (as opposed to his standing figure, as on my third coin below) he wears a cuirass, and carries a spear and shield, hearkening back to the military imagery of Constantine IV.

S1360.jpg.7351b8bbfe2955985ce276084838628e.jpg

Follis, Constantinople, 698/9. 7.51 gr. 29.7 mm. 7 hr. Sear 1366; Hahn 73; DO 8c. Overstruck on a follis of Leontios, which in turn had been overstruck on an earlier coin. Visible on the obverse on the left are ANNO and below, CON of the Leontios reverse, and on the reverse, the loros and globus cruciger of Leontios can be seen to the left of the mark of value, and above it, the remains of ANNO of the original coin.

S1366YR1.jpg.e8844987165febbbc409f5e057703aec.jpg

Half follis, Constantinople, 701/2. 3.34 gr. 26.4 mm. 1 hr. Sear 1369; Hahn 76. Standing figure of emperor, holding globus cruciger and spear. Overstruck on a half follis of Leontios, whose loros and globus cruciger are visible on the reverse.

S1369.jpg.d7cbc9151d1e5f47914c7661366776d6.jpg

Follis, Syracuse, 698-705. 3.40 gr. 20.4 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1395; Hahn 79b; DO 32. The obverse is anepigraphic, but a monogram above the mark of value spells out his name: ΤΙΒεΡΙΟΥ.

S1395.jpg.c59f7b983cee5656a45df9883d406958.jpg
  • Like 10
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Hrefn Beautiful Justinian II gold coins. I particularly like your gold coins with Jesus's portrait on 1 side. And, your gold coin from the Lombard Duchy Of Benevento in the Italian peninsula is very interesting. It's interesting that, even though the Byzantine Empire no longer ruled that part of the Italian peninsula, the Duchy Of Benevento minted gold coins in the style of the Byzantine Empire, with the Byzantine Emperor's portrait on the obverse.

@Severus Alexander Interesting Constantine IV coins.

@voulgaroktonou Very nice and interesting Leontius bronze coins. Leontius bronze coins seem to be very hard to find, as we can tell, by how few NF members posted them. And, nice and interesting Tiberius III coins. And, good historical information about Leontius and Tiberius III.

@Valentinian Interesting, hard to find, Leontius bronze coin. Also, interesting Tiberius III bronze coins.

@Nerosmyfavorite68 Interesting Tiberius III coins. And, good historical information about Tiberius III. The maps in this thread, are screen shots of a Youtube video titled "The History of the Byzantine Empire : Every Month". It's an excellent video.

@quant.geek Nice and interesting Tiberius III coins.

Here's my Tiberius III 40 nummi bronze coin. Tiberius III's 40 nummi bronze coin portraits are the last of the "narrow triangle face" era for Byzantine 40 nummi bronze coins, although some subsequent Emperors had some throwbacks to that era (I'm looking at you, Constantine VII). Leontius's 40 nummi bronze coin portraits are a notable exception in that era, having a rectangular or oval shaped face. On my coin, Tiberius III appears to be beardless, but I'm not certain of that. Perhaps he has a short beard. His eyes are simple dots. The face has some 3 dimensionality, in that, the cheekbones and chin are higher relief than the rest of the face. His face has no expression. ERIC II says of the Tiberius III coin portraits "it will be the last time in Byzantine history that the effigy of the emperor will be shown wearing the implements of war" (EDIT/CORRECTION : @voulgaroktonou pointed out, that Isaac I's coin portraits also showed the Emperor wearing the implements of war. See @voulgaroktonou's post below. Therefore, ERIC II is incorrect). My coin is an overstrike. The reverse has some traces of the undertype, in the lower left part of the coin, which seem to show parts of "SCL" diagonally.

image.jpeg.5e3f34bf270e64f08f89d9d5a5670f18.jpeg

Tiberius III AE 40 Nummi Follis. Minted 698 AD To 705 AD. Syracuse Mint. Sear 1395. DO 32. Maximum Diameter 22.2 mm. Weight 3.20 grams. Obverse : Tiberius III Bust Facing Front, Wearing A Crown Which Has A Cross On Top, Holding Spear In Front Of Body, Shield In Left Hand. Reverse : Large M, Monogram Above, Palm On Left, Palm On Right,  "SCL" Mint Below. Overstruck On Earlier Coin.

EDIT : The map in this post, is a snapshot of the nice Youtube video titled "The History of the Byzantine Empire : Every Month".

Edited by sand
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few of my Leontius coins:

Byzantine Empire: Leontius (695-698) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear-1344; DOC-18; Anastasi-295)

Obv: Leontius standing facing, wearing crown and loros, and holding akakia and globus cruciger
Rev: Large M; monogram above; SCL below

Byzantine Empire: Leontius (695-698) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear-1344; DOC-18; Anastasi-295) Obv: Leontius standing facing, wearing crown and loros, and holding akakia and globus cruciger Rev: Large M; monogram above; SCL below

Byzantine Empire: Leontius (695-698) Æ Half Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1335; DOC III.9; MIB III.33)

Obv: Crowned facing bust of Leontius, holding globus cruciger; cross to right
Rev: Large K; cross above, A/N/NO and A across fields, Γ below
Dim: 20mm, 2.49g

Byzantine Empire: Leontius (695-698) Æ Half Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1335; DOC III.9; MIB III.33) Obv: Crowned facing bust of Leontius, holding globus cruciger; cross to right Rev: Large K; cross above, A/N/NO and A across fields, Γ below Dim: 20mm, 2.49g

• Like 11
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

2 hours ago, sand said:

@Hrefn Beautiful Justinian II gold coins. I particularly like your gold coins with Jesus's portrait on 1 side. And, your gold coin from the Lombard Duchy Of Benevento in the Italian peninsula is very interesting. It's interesting that, even though the Byzantine Empire no longer ruled that part of the Italian peninsula, the Duchy Of Benevento minted gold coins in the style of the Byzantine Empire, with the Byzantine Emperor's portrait on the obverse.

@Severus Alexander Interesting Constantine IV coins.

@voulgaroktonou Very nice and interesting Leontius bronze coins. Leontius bronze coins seem to be very hard to find, as we can tell, by how few NF members posted them. And, nice and interesting Tiberius III coins. And, good historical information about Leontius and Tiberius III.

@Valentinian Interesting, hard to find, Leontius bronze coin. Also, interesting Tiberius III bronze coins.

@Nerosmyfavorite68 Interesting Tiberius III coins. And, good historical information about Tiberius III. The maps in this thread, are screen shots of a Youtube video titled "The History of the Byzantine Empire : Every Month". It's an excellent video.

@quant.geek Nice and interesting Tiberius III coins.

Here's my Tiberius III 40 nummi bronze coin. Tiberius III's 40 nummi bronze coin portraits are the last of the "narrow triangle face" era, although some subsequent Emperors had some throwbacks to that era (I'm looking at you, Constantine VII). Leontius's 40 nummi bronze coin portraits are a notable exception in that era, having a rectangular or oval shaped face. On my coin, Tiberius III appears to be beardless, but I'm not certain of that. Perhaps he has a short beard. His eyes are simple dots. The face has some 3 dimensionality, in that, the cheekbones and chin are higher relief than the rest of the face. His face has no expression. RIC II says of the Tiberius III coin portraits "it will be the last time in Byzantine history that the effigy of the emperor will be shown wearing the implements of war". My coin is an overstrike. The reverse has some traces of the undertype, in the lower left part of the coin, which seem to show parts of "SCL" diagonally.

image.jpeg.5e3f34bf270e64f08f89d9d5a5670f18.jpeg

Tiberius III AE 40 Nummi Follis. Minted 698 AD To 705 AD. Syracuse Mint. Sear 1395. DO 32. Maximum Diameter 22.2 mm. Weight 3.20 grams. Obverse : Tiberius III Bust Facing Front, Wearing A Crown Which Has A Cross On Top, Holding Spear In Front Of Body, Shield In Left Hand. Reverse : Large M, Monogram Above, Palm On Left, Palm On Right,  "SCL" Mint Below. Overstruck On Earlier Coin.

Dear @sand, "RIC II says of the Tiberius III coin portraits "it will be the last time in Byzantine history that the effigy of the emperor will be shown wearing the implements of war". ", it's true that Tiberius' military visage is exceptional for numismatic imperial iconography, but we will see it again under Isaac I Comnenus, when the emperor is shown holding a sword and wearing military attire. Grierson notes in DOC 3:2, p. 759 that his gold coinage was for that reason unpopular with contemporaries for its "ostentatiously military character". 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, voulgaroktonou said:

Dear @sand, "RIC II says of the Tiberius III coin portraits "it will be the last time in Byzantine history that the effigy of the emperor will be shown wearing the implements of war". ", it's true that Tiberius' military visage is exceptional for numismatic imperial iconography, but we will see it again under Isaac I Comnenus, when the emperor is shown holding a sword and wearing military attire. Grierson notes in DOC 3:2, p. 759 that his gold coinage was for that reason unpopular with contemporaries for its "ostentatiously military character". 

Thanks @voulgaroktonou. It looks like you and Dumbarton Oaks are correct, and ERIC II is incorrect. Isaac I, the Byzantine Emperor from 1057 AD to 1059 AD, indeed had coin portraits which showed the Emperor wearing the implements of war. I wonder, if Isaac I was the only Byzantine Emperor after Tiberius III, whose coin portraits showed the Emperor wearing the implements of war. I also wonder, why the Byzantines started to look unfavorably upon coin portraits, in which the Emperor was wearing the implements of war.

P.S. : I also corrected my above post, in which I had said "RIC II". I meant to say "ERIC II". Thanks to @Valentinian for pointing out that error.

Edited by sand
  • Like 2

I guess @Valentinian is right and I should have included both Leontius and Tiberius III in the same time slot... I will be posting them together. 🙂 Three coins of Leontius and three of Tiberius, for a total of five. Ah... you think my math is faulty?

I have both a full follis and a half for Leontius, with the better portrait probably being on the half:

image.jpeg.1dcf85434d5c6d3e517891c8796f3c36.jpeg

The full is one-eyed:

image.jpeg.a3aae37237e88e9958a7f6c89f4392ce.jpeg

Neither portrait is much to write home about.

My third Leontius is also a Tiberius III, and indeed my favourite portrait of the latter.  It's an overstrike, of course: SB 1366 over top of SB 1334. (Thus my weird math.) The loros of Leontius is clearly visible on the reverse:

image.jpeg.71f7fae63e271dfd5ff7fc1ff2610b00.jpeg

My next Tib III, a year 1, is a bit rough, but I like the portrait's style:

image.jpeg.0d27c5a9366d47c2b41af026676912f7.jpeg

Finally, I have one of the standing types that we also saw from quant.geek and voulgaroktonou:

image.jpeg.a48973bb7bcb59e76171d34079f5ec47.jpeg

I believe these are pretty scarce. It might be my nicest Tiberius III coin; his military dress is particularly clear.

Great to see you join the thread, @quant.geek!  You have some stellar examples, as usual. Between you and @voulgaroktonou our gallery of AE will be fabulous!

Voulgaroktonou, I love that overstrike on the Maximianus.  I happen to have an overstrike from the same time period and similar vicinity... a generic Syrian Umayyad fals (Album 153) over a Licinius AE3 from Ticinum. The Licinius portrait and Sol undertype are pretty obvious in this image with the reverse rotated:

image.jpeg.0f91cb48a689f02e99383b9dbe46c1cf.jpeg

As you can see, there are bits of the Roman legend visible too. There's enough of the coin underneath that I was able to pin it down: RIC VII 4 (Ticinum).

So I did post 6 coins after all. 😄 

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 14

6 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

I guess @Valentinian is right and I should have included both Leontius and Tiberius III in the same time slot... I will be posting them together. 🙂 Three coins of Leontius and three of Tiberius, for a total of five. Ah... you think my math is faulty?

I have both a full follis and a half for Leontius, with the better portrait probably being on the half:

image.jpeg.1dcf85434d5c6d3e517891c8796f3c36.jpeg

The full is one-eyed:

image.jpeg.a3aae37237e88e9958a7f6c89f4392ce.jpeg

Neither portrait is much to write home about.

My third Leontius is also a Tiberius III, and indeed my favourite portrait of the latter.  It's an overstrike, of course: SB 1366 over top of SB 1334. (Thus my weird math.) The loros of Leontius is clearly visible on the reverse:

image.jpeg.71f7fae63e271dfd5ff7fc1ff2610b00.jpeg

My next Tib III, a year 1, is a bit rough, but I like the portrait's style:

image.jpeg.0d27c5a9366d47c2b41af026676912f7.jpeg

Finally, I have one of the standing types that we also saw from quant.geek and voulgaroktonou:

image.jpeg.a48973bb7bcb59e76171d34079f5ec47.jpeg

I believe these are pretty scarce. It might be my nicest Tiberius III coin; his military dress is particularly clear.

Great to see you join the thread, @quant.geek!  You have some stellar examples, as usual. Between you and @voulgaroktonou our gallery of AE will be fabulous!

Voulgaroktonou, I love that overstrike on the Maximianus.  I happen to have an overstrike from the same time period and similar vicinity... a generic Syrian Umayyad fals (Album 153) over a Licinius AE3 from Ticinum. The Licinius portrait and Sol undertype are pretty obvious in this image with the reverse rotated:

image.jpeg.0f91cb48a689f02e99383b9dbe46c1cf.jpeg

As you can see, there are bits of the Roman legend visible too. There's enough of the coin underneath that I was able to pin it down: RIC VII 4 (Ticinum).

So I did post 6 coins after all. 😄 

@severus alexander, I LOVE your example of SB 1366 over top of SB 1334. 2 for the price of one. What's not to love about that! Everyone has provided so many wonderful examples in this great topic - thank you, all, for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sand said:

Thanks @voulgaroktonou. It looks like you and Dumbarton Oaks are correct, and ERIC II is incorrect. Isaac I, the Byzantine Emperor from 1057 AD to 1059 AD, indeed had coin portraits which showed the Emperor wearing the implements of war. I wonder, if Isaac I was the only Byzantine Emperor after Tiberius III, whose coin portraits showed the Emperor wearing the implements of war. I also wonder, why the Byzantines started to look unfavorably upon coin portraits, in which the Emperor was wearing the implements of war.

P.S. : I also corrected my above post, in which I had said "RIC II". I meant to say "ERIC II". Thanks to @Valentinian for pointing out that error.

Dear @sand, The reason Isaac's "warlike" image didn't go over well with contemporaries is that because to them, it suggested that the emperor was attributing military success to his own prowess, and not to "The Lord of hosts". Cf. Psalm 33: 16-17, and 20:

16 "No king is saved by the size of his army;
    no warrior escapes by his great strength.
17 A horse is a vain hope for deliverance;
    despite all its great strength it cannot save.

20 We wait in hope for the Lord;
    he is our help and our shield."

I think Grierson cited a passage from Skylitzes in this connection; I'll have a copy of him retrieved from the stacks and will check it later.

Edited by voulgaroktonou
  • Like 4

Philippikos, 711-13

The emperor we know as Philippikos was baptized Bardanes. In 711, Justinian sent him with an expedition to punish Cherson, but once there, his army revolted and declared Bardanes emperor, he taking the new name Philippikos. More concerned with religious controversy than effectively dealing with the ever present Arab menace, on 3 June 713 he was deposed and blinded by officers of the Opsikion theme in favor of Anastasios II.

Follis, Constantinople, 711/12. 2.99 gr. 22.2 mm. 7 hr. Sear 1455; Hahn 21; DO 9a.  Overstruck on a follis of Justinian II (Sear 1428). When the reverse is turned 90 degrees to the right, one can see the portrait of Justinian as well as much of inscription of the host coin. The portrait of Justinian’s son Tiberios, however, has been obliterated by the overstriking. S1455.jpg.d7d2e498a49c324b0654274f61e92679.jpg

S1455r.JPG.310669657d3d4bef973f25d6590f4917.JPG

Half follis, Constantinople, 711/12. 2.69 gr. 20.2 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1456; Hahn 22; DO 12. Philippikos’ portrait on his coinage is depicted crowned, wearing the loros, and holding in his right hand a globus cruciger, and in his left, an eagle tipped scepter, or Scipio.

S1456.jpg.69e69074a62807091ac19cc09f1cbe96.jpg

Anastasios II, 713-15

The protasekretis (chief of the imperial chancery ) Artemios was crowned as Anastasios on 4 June 713, following the deposition of Philippikos. Luckily for the empire, in his short reign he proved a much more energetic ruler than his predecessor. Reports of large-scale Arab campaign preparations in Syria induced him to prepare Constantinople for the worst. He appointed competent thematic officers, including the future Leo III; ordered individuals in Constantinople to be able to support themselves for three years or else to leave the city; rebuilt the fleet; restored the land and sea walls; erected siege weapons; and stored grain. He also dispatched a fleet in 715 to destroy the Arabs' timber supply in Phoenicia, but the expedition broke up in Rhodes and the Opsikion troops revolted in favor of Theodosios III. After a six-month struggle, Anastasios abdicated, became a monk, and was exiled to Thessalonike.

Hexagram, Constantinople, 713-15. 2.24 gr. 20 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1468A; Hahn 27. Struck with solidus dies. By the reign of Justinian II, the increasingly rare hexagrams were being struck with dies intended for solidi. Unfortunately broken, but hard to get in any grade. S1468A.jpg.9fcf96f5cf0dc1e0b096a2b99ca678a0.jpg

Half siliqua?, Constantinople, 713-15. 0.78 gr. 14.6 mm. 7 hr. Unlisted in Sear et al. It is perhaps better to denote the denomination as ceremonial silver. Another example appeared in NAC 23, 19 March 2002, lot 1740. The cataloger there wrote “We have attributed this very interesting coin to the reign of Anastasius II, but it might as well belong to the reign of Leo III.” Although the portrait does seem to place this piece in the first quarter of the 8th century, Hahn records a ceremonial piece with similar reverse for Constantine IV (Hahn 69). Per private communication with Simon Bendall, C. Morrison acquired 2 specimens, one for the Bibliotheque Nationale (Sternberg 31, 1988, lot 579 = Leu 36, May 1985, lot 392. 0.63 gr.), and for DO, the NAC example noted above. For a discussion of this coin, see C. Morrisson, “Imperial generosity and its monetary expression: the rise and decline of the largesses”, in Donation et Donateurs dans le Monde Byzantin, pp. 25 - 43, esp. p. 40.

S1468B.jpg.3f93742f446ec7da4bc5f4b3777b8131.jpg

Follis, Constantinople, 713-14. 3.75 gr. 23.9 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1469; Hahn 28; DO 7a

S1469_01.jpg.d14da2c24867d4c3a2deb6fdb9c754e8.jpg

Silver Half Siliqua, Rome, 713-715. 0.21 gr. 8.4 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1482A (this coin); Hahn et al. unlisted. O’Hara, “A find of Byzantine silver from the mint of Rome for the period A. D. 641-752”, (Revue Suisse de Numismatique, v. 64 (1985), pp. 105-40, #26 (this coin). The reverse features a monogram for ROMA.

S1482Aa.jpg.be7ea062a375ca034a428ab162b700ca.jpg

Theodosios III, 715–17

Theodosios, a tax collector, was acclaimed emperor by troops revolting against Anastasios II. Reluctantly accompanying the rebels, he entered Constantinople in late fall 715. Little is known of his reign. In 716 he concluded a treaty with the Bulgar khan Tervel, probably anticipating the impending Arab attack on Constantinople. When Maslama invaded Byzantine territory that same year, the thematic generals Artavasdos and Leo III deposed Theodosios. He abdicated on 25 March and both he and his son became monks.

Hexagram, Constantinople, 715-717. 2.27 gr. 19 mm. 4 hr. Sear 1491; Hahn 12. S1491.jpg.06f9a74ab9763127ccdc04c7534f02d5.jpg

Follis, Syracuse, 716-17. 9.18 gr. 34.2 mm. 7 hr. Sear 1496; Hahn 16. Although the obverse is anepigraphic, the coin is signed in the emperor’s name on the reverse by his monogram above the mark of value: Θεοδοσίου.

S1496_01.jpg.6bd1f4458c66fcccf25045b223ba176a.jpg

Edited by voulgaroktonou
a few corrections
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Phillipicus    AD 711-713.  Solidus of Constantinople 

Phillipicus was one of the more disastrous emperors.  He was detailed to the Chersonese by Justinian II to deal with matters there.  Instead, he made common cause with Cherson and overthrew Justinian II.  He had the emperor and his son Tiberius slain.  Phillipicus was a monothelite who alienated the Pope and deposed the Patriarch of Constantinople, Cyrus, in favor of his own candidate.  The Bulgars raided up to the walls of Constantinople and when the emperor diverted troops from the East to oppose them, the Muslims made progress in the East capturing several cities.  He was overthrown by the military.   

image.png.8b1a96953b0467dfd3de49547547ef2d.png
image.png.62ef86aa174552e30de3338b2edfbac2.png

This coin marks the last appearance of the scipio, the eagle-topped consular scepter.  4.41 grams. Berk-204.  Purchased from Harlan Berk 3/2001 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 4