Do you have any coin misses or regrets?

JayAg47

Could be anything from not remembering to enter your bid, or having a coin in watch list only for it to be sold, or selling a coin that you later regret, or even the coins that never made it to your doors during shipping. 

Post if you still have any pictures.

• Like 1

This one was on my V-Coins watch list for a long time, but I always got distracted by other Faustina coins at auction that were of higher priority (would be harder to obtain than the fixed-price one at V-Coins). It recently sold to someone else.

Jpp8jC6L7qZ5y9QNFjd7eT3Xi2tW4P.jpg

5SwyyFR69mJWK3xekj8Q7gENA4RqBZ.jpg

Astonishingly, I do not have the sestertius of this reverse design, only the middle bronze.

FaustinaSrAVGVSTASCCeresshorttorchcornearsDupondius.jpg.41b2503178f8b03fc2f70b428495751a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Cry 1

Yes, I regret not being more wealthy when these came to auction:

Losing this one hurt real bad. A MSC on an Macedonian coin!?!?

3566455_1670332345.l.jpg.7ab40aaf22bf9f46f21de5bca74de9ec.jpg

Though, I was able to get one of these, it's certainly not in this shape

1939153_1621946581.l.jpg.260fc43761ffa70990ce75b7d4e6f943.jpg

Aaaaaand then there's her

1939133_1621946568.l.jpg.898d0d048ee74e32bb520189890d1e61.jpg

• Like 11
  • Cry 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I've got about a dozen I missed. And most are from Lanz, many years ago. They never made it past customs. So I have never bought from them again.

And since Covid, I don't buy anything from overseas, anymore. It's North America only.

Shipping costs are too high, customs takes forever, lots of political drama, no thanks.

• Like 1

I was 15 minutes late to the bidding of this beauty.

Screenshot_20230416-161501__01.jpg.9755e1a72fab51017f3dac8722d9696e.jpg

I would've gone to almost 3 times the hammer price. It hurts even more knowing that the max bidder's bid was only £90.

I'm guessing it went so cheaply because people were confusing it with the much more common Cyzicus mint coin, rather than the Smyrna issue

• Like 9
  • Yes 1

Unfortunately, us Scots have parsimony ingrained into our DNA. Consquently I think I have more coin regrets than actual coins.

After being the under-bidder on four Commodus as Hercules coins recently, I went through Den of Antiquity's "sold" coins to find the one I passed on. I'm a giant idiot and didn't register that I would save on Customs Fees since they are a UK dealer.

This would have been £160 well spent, it even has the more interesting reverse. I posted about it here at the time after it sold within an hour of posting. i was  comfortable in my decision at the time. It hurts now though.

oLn6i2MiTte5Mm8D4QXsr32W9AGgk7.jpg

• Like 8
  • Cry 1

The most recent regret was a group lot I lost, even though I held the winning bid at least a week in advance and it hammered for my max bid. I called the auction house and asked what's going on. I guess the way they took the floor bids (it was a live auction) meant that in order to win the lot, I'd have had to bid an increment over my max. It kind of made sense the way they explained it, but it also felt so wrong. I wouldn't have minded so much if the other bidder had won the lot just an increment above my bid, but to win it for what I had myself bid, a week before he ever did......oh well! No need to go on about it. Lesson learned. 🙄

Hmm...there was another coin, a nice Nero "Temple of Janus" as, for sale at a really good price. I should have just bought it, but instead I used the offer option to send an offer...well what do you know, it sold before they could get back to me. Actually that happened another time recently, this time with a decent and rare-ish Vespasian sestertius.

I should add that after the above fiasco I did buy a small "consolation prize" to help blunt the sharpest pangs of disappointment. 😉 Even though it is a far cry from what I had been anticipating, I am very much looking forward to it!

Edited by CPK
  • Like 2
  • Cry 1

• Benefactor

I’ve had a number of painful misses. Of the seven coins remaining on my primary list, three I bid on and lost. I haven’t seen any of them since.

And these weren’t like most of my recent losses, where the coin went high enough that I felt very comfortable letting it go. In these cases I just didn’t properly estimate the value and lost.

• Like 2

I've had some failures with coins. Some coins, which I purchased, never arrived. 1 coin I wanted to bid on, but I couldn't be at home during the auction, therefore I submitted a pre-bid (or something like that) and lost. I thought, that if I had been there to bid live, then I may have won the coin. 1 coin, I lost at an auction, and then later thought, that I would have bid higher, if I had a 2nd chance. 1 coin I could have bought, but I didn't like it much at the time, but then much later, I liked the coin, but it had been sold. 1 coin I could have bought, but the price was more than I wanted to pay, and the coin had a flaw that bothered me at the time, but then much later, I wished I had bought the coin. I have a couple of coins, for which I may have paid too much. I have a couple of coins, which I later found out, are probably fakes. I have some coins, which I later upgraded.

However, I don't feel much emotion, about any of these things. I did the best, that I knew how to do. I'm never going to be 100% efficient, with my coin buying. However, as I've learned more and more about coins, I've become more efficient, and I've been making fewer mistakes. And, for many of the coins, which I did not get, I eventually found even better examples. 1 coin, which I wished I had bought, later came up for sale again, with a different dealer, at a much lower price, and I bought it.

Edited by sand
  • Like 1