What would you buy for a $1000 budget?

JayAg47

Well, as a dealer I've bought a number of coins in that range, but as a collector, the last coin I spent (over) a grand on was this Celtic imitation of a Paeonian tetradrachm. They are exceedingly rare and this one is arguably the best of its type...

Celtic.jpg

Edited by JAZ Numismatics
  • Like 19
  • Heart Eyes 3

1 minute ago, JAZ Numismatics said:

Well, as a dealer I've bought a number of coins in that range, but as a collector, the coin I spent (over) a grand on was this Celtic imitation of a Paeonian tetradrachm. They are exceedingly rare and this one is arguably the best of its type...

Celtic.jpg

Wonderful coin!

And they got the Macedonian shield better than the Paeonians usually do!

9 minutes ago, Ryro said:

Wonderful coin!

And they got the Macedonian shield better than the Paeonians usually do!

The Celts living immediately north of Paeonia were generally friends and trading partners with the Paeonians, although they had their disagreements. So the enemy of the Paeonians (Macedonia) was the enemy of the Celts. But again, not always. It is recorded by contemporary sources that these same Celtic tribes offered their military services to Alex III when he went on his expansionist rampage. Sulla80 and I did a joint project on these coins at CT. Click here.

Edited by JAZ Numismatics
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

Probably a high quality solidus of Anastasius, Justinian, or Heraclius. Or a showpiece sestertius.

Sounds about what I'd do too.

Unfortunately $1K won't get you a terribly nice Julius Caesar lifetime denarius, which is what I would have picked.

• Like 3

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Limes said:

A 1.000 (1008 to be exact, so I am cheating a bit) got me this one, including all the juice and a splendid plastified certificato. 😁

14.4.png.dfb4b9547bbe52d7a32e6ca9c2b692ee.png

I was going to say JUDAEA CAPTA or maybe Trajans' IMPERATOR VIII sestertius with him and an officer seated on a rostrum before the troops. $1000 was a nice pick-up price, I would have guessed more for that coin, and for the Trajan example at any rate...(wish list coin)

trajan_sest.jpg.4567dad03586db65743277c91200fce8.jpg

Or this Gallienus sestertius which was more like $1400...

galsest.jpg.a1e1bc021c7f27ef7eb90fd3dcd7dbb5.jpg

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 9

39 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

I was going to say JUDAEA CAPTA or maybe Trajans' IMPERATOR VIII sestertius with him and an officer seated on a rostrum before the troops. $1000 was a nice pick-up price, I would have guessed more for that coin, and for the Trajan example at any rate...(wish list coin)

trajan_sest.jpg.4567dad03586db65743277c91200fce8.jpg

Or this Gallienus sestertius which was more like $1400...

galsest.jpg.a1e1bc021c7f27ef7eb90fd3dcd7dbb5.jpg

Thanks, I was happily suprised by the price as well. Lesser specimens have sold for more. 

• Yes 2

• Benefactor
4 hours ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

Probably a high quality solidus of Anastasius, Justinian, or Heraclius. Or a showpiece sestertius.

Can you buy a high-quality solidus from that period for $1,000? A high-quality solidus from the 4th or early 5th centuries, from the Constantinian, Valentinian, or Theodosian families, will probably cost something between $1,500 and $3,000 these days. 

Edited by DonnaML

5 hours ago, CPK said:

Unfortunately $1K won't get you a terribly nice Julius Caesar lifetime denarius, which is what I would have picked.

It may not be "terribly nice", but I paid exactly $1K (plus shipping and insurance) for my lifetime Julius Caesar denarius, purchased from JAZ Numismatics' private auctions on CT in 2020:

image.jpeg.bad28d65b5f50ae0b178efcb38fbcdd8.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

8 minutes ago, Parthicus said:

It may not be "terribly nice", but I paid exactly $1K (plus shipping and insurance) for my lifetime Julius Caesar denarius, purchased from JAZ Numismatics' private auctions on CT in 2020:

image.jpeg.bad28d65b5f50ae0b178efcb38fbcdd8.jpeg

I'd pay $1K for that - very good strike for the issue with a great portrait! Wanna sell? 😜

• Like 1

Elagabalus Stone/Meteor of Emesa/Elagabal denarius. I can't think of a coin with a better story! This one sold retail for 1.6k so I'd need to lower the condition a bit!

Elagabalus AR denarius – Stone of Emesa on quadriga – Rare; details on  Stone perhaps depicting meteorite regmaglypts

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/apollo_numismatics/12/product/elagabalus_ar_denarius__stone_of_emesa_on_quadriga__rare_details_on_stone_perhaps_depicting_meteorite_regmaglypts/1075315/Default.aspx

Link to the vcoins listing before it sold. Very enlightening.

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 12

• Benefactor

So, out of curiosity I went through my coins. Of the 450 I own, only 6 ran more than $1k. None were over $2k. This one, when the commission was added, was the closest to $1k. It was also the first "nice" coin I bought, though in retrospect I may have paid too much (purchased in 2021).

Athens.jpg.3b21b99c1e7b6a88cb5436fd4d3c85e9.jpg

ATTICA, Athens
AR Tetradrachm 22.5mm, 17.18g, 1h
Circa 454-404 BCE
Kroll 8; HGC 4, 1597
Ex CNG inventory June 2004

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 5

1 hour ago, kirispupis said:

So, out of curiosity I went through my coins. Of the 450 I own, only 6 ran more than $1k. None were over $2k. This one, when the commission was added, was the closest to $1k. It was also the first "nice" coin I bought, though in retrospect I may have paid too much (purchased in 2021).

Athens.jpg.3b21b99c1e7b6a88cb5436fd4d3c85e9.jpg

ATTICA, Athens
AR Tetradrachm 22.5mm, 17.18g, 1h
Circa 454-404 BCE
Kroll 8; HGC 4, 1597
Ex CNG inventory June 2004

No, you didn't. That's a thousand buck coin all day long. Beautiful!

• Like 1

These were both $1050 each, including shipping.  I would be a buyer of a Louis the Pious Type 2 denier from another mint which was similarly beautiful, if I could find one.  

image.jpeg.7d93107f7dd323a0f493430b60910217.jpegimage.jpeg.4ae503082c2df8e8db1101074db5b037.jpeg

image.jpeg.b992de191f85f505a973a0fd6ac3bb91.jpeg

Dealer pics used for instructional purposes only.  

• Like 10

I would try to upgrade my Antigonos II Gonatas. There are a multitude of dies and quite a few have more artistic versions of Athena.

Kings of Macedon. Antigonos II Gonatas, 277/6-239 BC. AR Tetradrachm (32mm, 16.84g, 11h). Amphipolis mint. Struck circa 274/1-260/55 BC. Obv: Horned head of Pan left, lagobolon behind, in the center of a Macedonian shield. Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ∕ ΑΝΤΙΓΟΝΟY; Athena Alkidemos advancing left; crested Macedonian helmet to inner left, TI to inner right. Ref: SNG Ashmolean 3260; SNG Alpha Bank 983; HGC 3, 1042. Very Fine, nicely toned.

image.jpeg.f8b00592b8f7d13a33958973ad309337.jpeg

• Like 7