A first attempt at my own Roman Republican digital coin tray

DonnaML

• Benefactor

I was inspired by the magnificent digital tray posted by @Qcumbor (and the many posted by @LONGINUS) to make my own attempt at starting one, in as technologically primitive a manner as humanly possible -- since I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to use any of the many templates that seem to be available for creating grids of photographs! So instead I just created a table in Word, and inserted coin photos resized to fit in the cells. Once I had finished six rows of four coins -- totaling 24 of my 81 Republican coins -- I converted the document to a pdf and in turn converted the pdf to a jpg. I didn't bother removing all the backgrounds, but could if I wanted to, in order to make it look more uniform. I have no idea how to change the background, to make it look like an actual tray or a different color, but I don't care about that. 

Here's the jpg (which can be enlarged somewhat without making the photos blurred), and I'm also attaching the pdf, which can be enlarged quite a bit without losing resolution. As I do further segments of the table, I'll probably post them here, for my own satisfaction if nothing else. I don't think it looks terrible for a first effort!image.jpeg.5518f46fafbea43a1ec5942295066df5.jpeg

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 28
  • Smile 2
  • Cookie 2
  • Clap 1
  • Shock 1
  • Heart Eyes 11

This is awesome! you have such a great collection. 

I think I'm most jealous of your L. Memmius, your Cerco, and your Fonteius.... awesome coins. 

I love your 287/1 anonymous as well - one of my favorite types - but I love my own example quite a bit so not as envious there 😄

• Like 2

• Benefactor

The final section for tonight: Roman Republican coins nos. 45-64.  This might be my favorite period of all of them, covering approximately 20 years beginning ca. 81 BCE.  So much of interest (as discussed in all my write-ups), including, of course, lots of animals and other creatures!  Another pdf attached, now with all 3 pages. (I don't know how to attach only the last page of it.) 

image.jpeg.f18b9419fa2f5172cf8e32cda136034c.jpeg

Table of Roman Republican coin photos (1).pdf

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 7

I've been wanting to try this, but each of my coin photos are of different sizes and quality, and also I don't have much coins belonging to a single genre to make such collage (excluding the 5 Good Emperors). Although I'm thinking of creating a map of coins minted around the South Indian peninsula or along the spice trade route! 

• Like 1

Very impressive collection @DonnaML, someone green with envy here ! 🤑

10 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I was inspired by the magnificent digital tray posted by @Qcumbor (and the many posted by @LONGINUS) to make my own attempt at starting one, in as technologically primitive a manner as humanly possible -- since I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to use any of the many templates that seem to be available for creating grids of photographs!

Thanks for the kind words.

Although it's a bit time consuming, it's not a hard job. The easiest way might be to send me the whole bunch of coins and I do that for you 😄

Q

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Clap 1

10 hours ago, DonnaML said:

The final section for tonight: Roman Republican coins nos. 45-64.  This might be my favorite period of all of them, covering approximately 20 years beginning ca. 81 BCE.  So much of interest (as discussed in all my write-ups), including, of course, lots of animals and other creatures!  Another pdf attached, now with all 3 pages. (I don't know how to attach only the last page of it.) 

image.jpeg.f18b9419fa2f5172cf8e32cda136034c.jpeg

Table of Roman Republican coin photos (1).pdf 3.29 MB · 4 downloads

I can see why this would be your favorite period!  That's quite a flashy collection of reverses -- I never would have suspected so many cool reverses existed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
14 hours ago, JayAg47 said:

I've been wanting to try this, but each of my coin photos are of different sizes and quality

All my photos are of different sizes too, at least as they appear when I first insert them into the individual cells in the table -- which I set at four photos per row on a landscape-oriented page. So I have to adjust the size of each photo individually to fit in the cell and look approximately the same size as the others. I'm sure there's some way, either using Word or another program, to adjust the photo sizes automatically, but such things are far beyond my skills.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2

• Benefactor

Here is the jpg of the fourth and final section of my Roman Republican digital photo "tray," depicting coins nos. 65-82 (ranging from approximately 64-42 BCE). I'm also attaching the latest version of the pdf, in case anyone wants to be able to enlarge the photos enough to closely examine the coins. If I buy more Republican coins in the future -- and I'm bidding on one already in the CNG auction next week, after which I plan to take a break for a little while -- I suppose I can insert them where they belong chronologically, simply by adding empty cells in the appropriate places.

I think this period has some interesting reverses too (although not as many animals as the previous one), and some cool obverses as well, such as Pan and Medusa and interesting portraits of Quirinus, young Mars, and Jupiter, etc.1422416829_TableofRomanRepublicancoinphotos(2)_4.jpeg.2c99057679b37cf773ded6e51ac3fe8f.jpeg

Table of Roman Republican coin photos (2).pdf

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 8
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor

And here are all four "trays" together. All 82 coins -- 80 denarii and 2 quinarii -- are from the century between 146 and 42 BCE. I think there was far more variety in the coins issued during that century than in the Imperial coins issued in any century during the Empire.

752803631_TableofRomanRepublicancoinphotos(2)_1.jpeg.ae00f9142f4c23abce3dc60c5b98a302.jpeg

914008416_TableofRomanRepublicancoinphotos(2)_2.jpeg.206c3a970d31bec001b35c4fd3b3ae5c.jpeg

2034793571_TableofRomanRepublicancoinphotos(2)_3.jpeg.9d89561e59b6b1cc049cfbdc03314216.jpeg

1722871422_TableofRomanRepublicancoinphotos(2)_4.jpeg.d040b5d6bcb3fd917fd16b048d511932.jpeg

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 6

• Benefactor
17 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Donna do you plan to make the background of each coin a uniform colour?

Other than a uniform white background -- which wouldn't take that long, since most are already like that; I used removebg on a number of them -- I would have no idea how to make the background any other uniform color. I really don't mind the white!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I would have no idea how to make the background any other uniform color. I really don't mind the white!

I shoot my pics directly on a black background, then I only need to rotate à bit when non aligned, crop and paste...

Easy

Q

• Like 3

• Benefactor

For anyone who might conceivably be interested in learning more about any of the coins in the "digital trays" posted above, here is a key to those trays. It gives the moneyer's name and the Crawford number for each coin. (I have always kept my personal catalog of Republican coins in Crawford number order for ease of reference, even though Crawford's chronological arrangement of quite a few of the coins has been challenged since his book was published in 1974, by reason of subsequent hoard discoveries, etc.) In any event, these references should be enough to enable anyone to look up a coin in one of the many available sources such as Crawford itself, Wildwinds, or even my own writeups of the coins here or at Coin Talk. The only coins for which I cite more than the Crawford number are the three Piso Frugi "horseman" coins, since there are hundreds of different types and the Crawford numbers themselves are very general. All the coins are AR, and all are denarii unless otherwise indicated.

Looking at the distribution of the Crawford numbers in this format, I find it interesting that the first 16 coins (four rows) in Tray 3 -- which, as I said, may be my favorite -- are all tightly clustered between Crawford 378 and Crawford 394 and the various sub-numbers within that range. Those were good years for Roman numismatics!

Tray 1

Column 1

Column 2

Column 3

Column 4

Row  1

C. Antestius / Cr. 219/1e

M. Aurelius Cota/Cotta / Cr. 229/1b

C. Renius / Cr. 231/1

Ti. Veturius / Cr. 234/1

Row 2

C. Servilius M.f. / Cr. 239/1

Q. Marcius Philippus [Pilipvs] / Cr. 269/1

T. Cloelius / Cr. 260/1

Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus / Cr. 261/1

Row 3

Anonymous [C. Metellus Diadematus or C. Metellus Delmaticus] / Cr. 262/1

M. Caecilius Q.f. Metellus / Cr. 263/1a

C. Servilius Vatia / Cr. 264/1

Q. Fabius Maximus / Cr. 265/1

Row 4

C. Caecilius Metellus Caprarius / Cr. 269/1

M. Fovri L.f. Philus / Cr. 281/1

L. Porcius Licinius et al. / Cr. 282/5

M. Sergius Silus / Cr. 286/1

Row 5

Anonymous /Cr. 287/1

C. Fonteius / Cr. 290/1

P. Nerva / Cr. 292/1

T. Manlius, Ap. Claudius Pulcher &  Q. Vr. / Cr. 299/1b

Row 6

L. Memmius / Cr. 304/1

Q. Lutatius Cerco / Cr. 305/1

Mn. Fonteius / Cr. 307/1b

M. Herennius / Cr. 308/1b

Tray 2

Row 1

C. Sulpicius C.f. Galba / Cr. 312/1

L. Aurelius Cotta / Cr. 314/1b

L. Thorius Balbus / Cr. 316/1

Q. Thermus M.f. / Cr. 319/1

Row 2

L. Julius L.f. Caesar / Cr. 320/1

L. Pomponius Molo / Cr. 334/1

C. Allius Bala / Cr. 336/1b

L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi (horseman right) / Cr. 340/1; RSC I (Babelon) Calpurnia 11

Row 3

L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi (horseman left) / Cr. 340/1; BMCRR I 1861, RSC I (Babelon) Calpurnia 9

Q. Titius / Cr. 341/1

M. Cato / Cr. 343/2b [Quinarius]

Cn. Lentulus Clodianus Cornelia / Cr. 345/2 [Quinarius]

Row 4

C. Marcius Censorinus / Cr. 346/1(i)

Mn. Fonteius C.f. / Cr. 353/1c

C. Mamilius Limetanus / Cr. 362/1

L. Marcius Censorinus / Cr. 363/1d

Row 5

C. Annius T.f. T.n Luscus & L. Fabius L.f. Hispaniensis / Cr. 366/1b

A. Postumius A.f. Sp.n. Albinus / Cr. 372/1

A. Postumius A.f. Sp.n. Albinus / Cr. 372/2

Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius / Cr. 374/1

Tray 3

Row 1

C. Marius C.f. Capito / Cr. 378/1c

L. Procilius L.f. / Cr. 379/1

L. Procilius L.f. / Cr. 379/2

C. Poblicius Q.f. / Cr. 380/1

Row 2

C. Naevius Balbus / Cr. 382/1b

Ti. Claudius Ti.f. Ap.n. Nero / Cr. 383/1

L. Papius / Cr. 384/1

M. Volteius / Cr. 385/2

Row 3

M. Volteius / Cr. 385/3

M. Volteius / Cr. 385/4

P. Satrienus / Cr. 388/1b

L. Rustius / Cr. 389/1

Row 4

L. Lucretius Trio / Cr. 390/1

L. Lucretius Trio / Cr. 390/2

L. Farsuleius Mensor / Cr. 392/1b

C. Postumius / Cr. 394/1a

Row 5

Mn. Aquillius Mn.f. Mn.n. / Cr. 401/1

P. Sulpicius Galba / Cr. 406/1

C. Hosidius C.f. Geta / Cr. 407/2

C. Calpurnius Piso L.f. Frugi / Cr. 408/1a (O-32/R-43); BMCRR I 3774; Hersh 1976 Corpus No. 89 (O-33/R-1038)

Tray 4

Row 1

L. Roscius Fabatus / Cr. 412/1

L. Cassius Longinus / Cr. 413/1

M. Nonius Sufenas / Cr. 421/1

L. Marcius Philippus / Cr. 425/1

Row 2

C. Memmius C.f. / Cr. 427/2

Q. Cassius Longinus / Cr. 428/3

Publius Fonteius P.f. Capito / Cr. 429/1

Aulus Plautius / Cr. 431/1

Row 3

Cn. Plancius / Cr. 432/1

Mn. Acilius Glabrio / Cr. 442/1a

C. Vibius C. f. C. n. Pansa Caetronianus / Cr. 449/1a

L. Plautius Plancus / Cr/ 453/1a

Row 4

Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio / Cr. 459/1

Mn. Cordius Rufus / Cr. 463/1a

T. Carisius / Cr. 464/1

L. Papius Celsus, Cr. 472/1

Row 5

P. Accoleius Lariscolus / Cr. 486/1

C. Vibius Varus / Cr. 494/36

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 6
  • Smile 1

7 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Other than a uniform white background -- which wouldn't take that long, since most are already like that; I used removebg on a number of them -- I would have no idea how to make the background any other uniform color. I really don't mind the white!

Yes I like the white too...On rb if you click edit image it gives you the option to change the background colour, if you want to play?

Ps...Thanks for the ref numbers. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Here is the jpg of the fourth and final section of my Roman Republican digital photo "tray," depicting coins nos. 65-82 (ranging from approximately 64-42 BCE). I'm also attaching the latest version of the pdf, in case anyone wants to be able to enlarge the photos enough to closely examine the coins. If I buy more Republican coins in the future -- and I'm bidding on one already in the CNG auction next week, after which I plan to take a break for a little while -- I suppose I can insert them where they belong chronologically, simply by adding empty cells in the appropriate places.

I think this period has some interesting reverses too (although not as many animals as the previous one), and some cool obverses as well, such as Pan and Medusa and interesting portraits of Quirinus, young Mars, and Jupiter, etc.1422416829_TableofRomanRepublicancoinphotos(2)_4.jpeg.2c99057679b37cf773ded6e51ac3fe8f.jpeg

Table of Roman Republican coin photos (2).pdf 4.18 MB · 0 downloads

This tray is my favorite 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...