Lego Fun, Vol. XXI: The Arch of Nero

Julius Germanicus

Restitutor
This post was recognized by Restitutor!

Julius Germanicus was awarded the badge 'Great Content'

The now lost triumphal arch dedicated to the Emperor Nero was erected in the years between AD 58 and 62 at Rome and was designed to commemorate victories won by Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo in Parthia (Tacitus Annales 13.41, 15.18). Located on the slope of the Capitoline Hill in a locality referred to as inter duos lucos, the arch likely was destroyed soon after Nero's death in A.D. 68 known but is known from coin representations, in which it appears as an arch with a single bay surmounted by a quadriga.

310685649_IMG_65272.jpg.1f6ad3e307df0e1872cd1ebb2f7923cc.jpg

An artist's impression by Gereth Harney.:

image.jpeg.520154a6440416fec887d37beaeadbaa.jpeg

My Arch is in 1:50 scale and seen here together with a 1:150 miniature version:

IMG_6526.jpg.be915ec02929f74142c5f96f6403c5d7.jpg

Sadly I do not have an example of the Sestertius showing this arch yet, but maybe someone here can show theirs!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 4
  • Heart Eyes 5

On 1/14/2023 at 12:35 AM, hotwheelsearl said:

Gorgeous. What is the purpose of the chain across the archway?

I have no idea and there is no written record, but as it is visible on every single well preserved Sestertius of this type, like on this specimen (sold by Roma Numismatics for 15.000 GBP), there must have been some importance to it.

image.jpeg.fefec8ea41189ea9f9325d001237ec3a.jpeg

As far as I know, there is nothing similar to be seen on any other depictions of triumphal arches by other emperors. Or could this be some kind of decorative flower chain mounted just for the occasion for the inauguration of the monument?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Julius Germanicus said:

I have no idea and there is no written record, but as it is visible on every single well preserved Sestertius of this type, like on this specimen (sold by Roma Numismatics for 15.000 GBP), there must have been some importance to it.

image.jpeg.fefec8ea41189ea9f9325d001237ec3a.jpeg

As far as I know, there is nothing similar to be seen on any other depictions of triumphal arches by other emperors. Or could this be some kind of decorative flower chain mounted just for the occasion for the inauguration of the monument?

Amazing! Sure looks like a temporary, plant swag. So neat, and amazing attention to detail on your part!

• Like 1