Chris B 2022 Top 10

ChrisB

This will be my first top 10 on this site. I see that not many are devoted to world coins, which most of mine are. Most years my list is just 10 coins in no order. This year, I decided to put them in my top 10 order. Mostly this is because, in my mind, there is a logical order for the first time.

My goal going into this year was to purchase fewer coins but higher quality. I think that mostly I have succeeded. As in past years the list includes coins, medals, and tokens. The list is heavy on German material which is a common theme of mine.

#10 Cologne 983-1002 Silver Denar. The pictures don’t show it well, but this is struck exceptionally well. I just found it very appealing.

image.jpeg.9de47169ca02610d36c1d0cc44a0eb7d.jpeg

Cologne
Anonymous Denar
ND (983-1002)

Obverse: +OTTO REX, cross with pellets in each angle
Reverse: S / [C]OLONIA / A [G] in three lines.

Weight: 1.34gm

Struck in the name of Otto III
Cologne mint

#9 Bavaria 1535 Ludwig X, unknown engraver. This was one of the tougher ones for me to rank.  It could have been placed anywhere between 3 and 9 depending on when I last looked at it. I like it very much but part of me says "it is just a portrait medal". If it could be attributed to a specific engraver my belief is that it would positively affect the value and the desirability to other collectors.

image.jpeg.3feabf84d5fa160bdf51847c01fafb61.jpeg

Ludwig X, Duke of Bavaria-Landshut, second son of Albert IV, born 1495, reigns together with his brother Wilhelm since 1516, died 1545.
Portrait medal 1535.

Obverse: Half-length portrait L with a long beard in a flat cap and fur coat. Engraved in field on both sides : DUX — LVD / OVI / CV / S — MD / XXX / V. Ks. T SI T DEVS T NOBISCVM * QVIS * CONTRA * NOS. Reverse: The four-field Palatinate-Bavarian coat of arms on a cut-out, rolled-up shield in a circle of threads.

Habich p. 117, T, VII, 6 Med. and coins d. total Wittelsbach 267

26mm. 8.7 g

Probably by a South German medalist who worked under the influence of Neufarer.

#8 Emden. Herman von Kalvelage Denar ND (1020-1051). The last of the medieval coins on the list. Another one that presents better in hand. This is one that I should have done a GTG pole on. NGC placed it in an MS63 holder.

image.jpeg.0bd53167892cd69131e5bfbda171bfb3.jpeg

Emden. Herman von Kalvelage Denar ND (1020-1051)
Counts of Hamburg mint, Dannenburg-772.

Obverse: Head right (mounted upside down in holder)
Reverse: Double Cross with lettering in angles.

Weight: 0.56gm

#7 France 1801 Seine Iron Bridge. One of a number of Jetons purchased this year but by far my favorite.

image.jpeg.1c235c67cabea77b0523cc6a92647a72.jpeg

France, Consulate, 1801 Jeton
Anno IX Consulate (1799-1804)

by P.Tiolier.

Construction 3 Iron bridges over seine

#6 Mozambique 1843 Onca. Satisfies my urge to purchase unusual stuff. Considered by some to be siege money buy not by others. Either way, it is a cool coin.

image.jpeg.ffeed036e572c6bf9938f41c0288a1fa.jpeg

Maria II (1834-1853)
Silver 1843 Onca (Canelo)
Counter Stamped with one Rosette over "M"

Weight: 27.04g
Thickness 4 mm
Shape: Rectangular (17 x 14 mm)

Gomes-12.01 KM# 26.2

#5 1794 Netherlands (Maastricht) Stuiver. Cool siege coin. One of the only that I own. Typical crude style.

image.jpeg.8a8dbddd919c0f9d42143a75396839c1.jpeg

Obverse: A star in the center, date above, value below, and mint mark.
Lettering: 1794 / 100St
Reverse: Smooth (uniface)

Composition: Silver
Weight: 30.07 g
Diameter: 40.8 mm

Comments: Siege of Maastricht by the French troops, the Austrians held the city at that time (second restauration of the Austrian Netherlands under Franz II) whereas Maastricht had been ruled by the United Provinces and the Duchy of Liege in a condominium.

#4 1744 Battle of Toulon Medal. Very historic and pretty grim. image.jpeg.4d6b088dc46780ed8be45c4543e1975a.jpeg

GREAT BRITAIN, SPAIN & FRANCE. Battle of Toulon brass Medal. Issued 1744. Satirizing the British missteps off the coast of Toulon against the Spanish & French

Diameter: 38mm
Weight: 13.17 g

Obverse: Harbor scene with aspects denoted by the following letters — A: in background, ships under sail on sea to right; B: in foreground, human body suspended from gibbet (D) to left; 😄 in background, smaller ships under sail on sea to left; 1743|4 in exergue

Reverse: Harbor scene with aspects denoted by the following letters — E: in background, fortified town under attack to right; F and G: in background, ships under sail right attacking town; H: in foreground, troops advancing left to right; I: in foreground, lion pouncing right upon cock.

MI 584/224; Eimer 582. Very Fine. Yellow-brown surfaces.

Emanating from the War of Austrian Succession, the Battle of Toulon (off the coast of France) took place in the Mediterranean theater between Great Britain, France, and Spain. In the American theater, Britain and Spain had already been at war in the form of the War of Jenkins' Ear (with a later conflict—the French and Indian War—also deriving from the same issue). In the Mediterranean, the French joined the Spanish when an upper hand against the British revealed itself, with the latter not effectively pursuing the former two and thus losing an advantage—a result that was viewed natively in Britain as a fiasco. On this medal, the superiority of the British is indicated by the lion (Britain) pouncing upon the cock (France), but the figure hanging from the gibbet is likely (mockingly) one of the two British admirals (Mathews or Lestock). In any event, an intriguing, tongue-in-cheek, and somewhat macabre poke at contemporary British affairs.

#3 Netherland (Utrecht) 1775 Silver Rider Ducaton. This is one of those coins that just spoke to me when I saw it. It is in an NGC Details (cleaned) holder but I don’t mind one bit.

image.jpeg.cedd9dfadc238d981a438aba7395e94a.jpeg

Obverse: Armored knight on horse above crowned Utrecht shield
Obverse Legend: MO : NO : ARG : CON FOE : BELG : PRO : TRAI •

Reverse: Crowned arms of the Generality with lion supporters, date below
Reverse Legend: CONCORDIA RES PARVÆ CRESCUNT •

Edge Description: Cabled

Composition: Silver (.941)
Weight: 32.78g
ASW: 0.9917oz

#2 1680’s Schlesien Silver Medal. Exquisitely engraved. This was an easy choice for me to come in 2nd place.

image.jpeg.051d504cd65548f8f5c8f76fa79d152f.jpeg

ca. 1680's AR Medal

Weight: 15.57g
Diameter: 32mm

This very rare medal served as a moral reminder to (married) women. The inscription on both sides reads: WORKING HARD IN THE HARD RESULTS IN KEEPING A TRANQUIL AND PEACEFUL HOME. The illustrations on the front and back illustrate this advice. On the reverse are three beehives with swarming bees (symbol of diligence), The obverse shows a snail with house between two trees (symbol of peaceful domesticity).

CHRISTOPH SUCRO, Mint-master at Stettin, 1677-1681

#1 1664 Brunswick-Luneberg-Celle 4 Thaler. Easy choice for #1. At over 111 grams and 72mm this is a coin that I never thought I would own. See here if you want the rest of the story:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/my-quest-for-multiple-thalers.398632/

image.jpeg.47e77ad8cc2b9e4fbc8c3602264adada.jpeg

Solver for 4 talers 1664 LW, Clausthal. Yield from the Harz mines.
Christian Ludwig, 1648-1665

Obverse: Hand of clouds wreaths a horse over a mining landscape with miners and two gullets, outline of the pit below
Reversed: Crowned monogram from CL, framed by two laurel branches, surrounded by fourteen coats of arms. With value stamp.

Mint master Lippold Wefer

Weight: 111.5grams
Diameter: 72mm

Welter 1495, Davenport 187, Müseler Supplement 10.4.1/63 a, Duve 12 AI.

I hope you enjoyed this. Let me know what your favorites are. 

• Like 29
  • Heart Eyes 4

Chris/ I am with You. I would pick 1/3/2 in that order/ easy choices. However 8/9/10 are also nice. 

The Braunschweig AR Vierfacher Thaler is magnifico! That 1775 Utrecht Ducaton is really NICE. I remember CNG Adams Coll. had the gold version. The Silesian "Bee keeper" coin is very nice/ I love buckwheat honey.

Thanks for sharing those beauties/ Merry Christmas!

John

• Like 1

• Benefactor

These are amazing, @ChrisB. It's always great to see such wonderful specimens of what I'd call (for the most part) early modern world coins and medals. What I believe they call "Früher Neuzeit" in German. My favorites are 7, 3, 2, and 1 in no particular order. No. 3 is fascinating. Of course I've always tried to follow that advice in my own domestic life! Although I'm much more  a slow-moving snail than a busy bee.

Regarding the portrait medal (#9) is it cast or struck? I always wonder, when 15th and 16th century cast medals are up at auction, how the dealer knows how to describe them, specifically as to whether they're original casts, "early" after-casts, or later after-casts. I certainly can't tell the difference.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I like it very much but part of me says "it is just a portrait medal"

Yes, but it is a portrait medal with an excellent early modern portrait. The engraver might be unknown, but the artistry speaks for itself. A beautiful piece.

21 hours ago, ChrisB said:

1680’s Schlesien Silver Medal. Exquisitely engraved. This was an easy choice for me to come in 2nd place.

This is my favorite coin/medal on your list. I'd translate the legends a bit differently, though (Obv: "Remain silent and stay at home"; Rev: "Do your chores with diligence"). Rather cringeworthy from a modern perspective, especially if you consider that this was meant as good advice for women...

Great list overall!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Regarding the portrait medal (#9) is it cast or struck?

It is cast. I purchased it, at least partially, because it reminds of the work of Valentin and Christian Maler. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the work of either one. 

• Like 1

I see that the Schlesien Silver Medal is popular with you guys. If I hadn't purchased the multiple thaler this year it would have been #1 for certain. I haven't been able to find out much about it because it doesn't appear to be mentioned in any references. 

8 hours ago, Ursus said:

Rather cringeworthy from a modern perspective

The legend is pretty harsh for today's society but is an interesting window into that time period. 

22 hours ago, Agricantus said:

probably the best info -> https://nat.museum-digital.de/object/269950

Thank you for the link. I had not come across that yet. Here is the translation for that web sites description.

As the inscription in the section on the reverse states, the medal served as a FRAVEN SPIEGEL, a moral warning to (married) women. The inscription running over both sides reads: WITH FLEIS YOUR WORK DRIVE SILENCE ZV HAVSE STAY. The illustrations on the front and back illustrate this advice. On the front are three beehives with swarming bees, on the back a snail with a house between two trees. The bees stand for diligence, the snail symbolizes peaceful domesticity.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 10:32 AM, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

Lovely list with many refreshingly new (at least for myself) types.

This is the basic idea for my new acquisitions. I have become kind of picky about new purchases for my collection. As you can see my interests are all over the place. Only the 4 thaler and the ducaton were on my radar as things that I was looking for. The rest were probably the first time I ever saw the type.